“If we had to, we might stay again.” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Extended Stay America - Ft. Lauderdale - Convention Center - Cruise Port

Extended Stay America - Ft. Lauderdale - Convention Center - Cruise Port
Ranked #73 of 135 Hotels in Fort Lauderdale
Calgary
“If we had to, we might stay again.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2010

We booked this hotel online for two nights before our cruise and one night afterwards. We were told by the hotel that when we arrived in Fort Lauderdale to call and they would have the shuttle come and pick us up. Well the shuttle only runs on certain days and it was not on the day we arrived.
We booked two rooms and only one of them was what we has asked for. Having the kitchen was great as we picked up breakfast for the next morning. Beds are comfortable, showers were great. Rooms were not that clean, discovered a nasty hair ball in the corner of the kitchen the first night. Keys to the room are a bit different. Staff were ok, some were friendly and some I think needed a day off.
They do not have storage for your luggage; however, they were helpful in letting us keep it behind the desk.
Great location thou, very close to the port, we walked down and saw the ships the day before we left on our cruise, lots of places to eat, the Publix is only a block away.
Starbucks is across the street.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled with friends
1 Thank Grover39

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (47)
Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2010

We stayed here 3 nites prior to our cruise.
Basic hotel but clean. Kitchenette handy as we went to the grocery store just up the street and got breakfast materials and snacks. No restaurant but they did have free coffee in the lobby for the morning.
The location is what counts here. Just around the block from Total Wine and a large mall and down the block from another liquor store and grocery store. Next door to a Greek restaurant with great food. Across the street from some take out food as well.
We walked to Hilton Fort Lauderdale and got on the water taxi. Something I would really recommend doing. Both for the tour it self. The narration was great and for use as a "taxi"
We did walk all the way to the beach but I guess it was about 21/2 miles so maybe not for everyone.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled as a couple
stamford ct
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 8, 2010

Location, location, location!!!! I would recommend this hotel to ANYONE spending one night pre-cruise because of price and LOCATION. Don't expect any bells or whistles to come with your stay here. The rooms are spartan though they do have a kitchenette with them and a decent bathroom/shower. That being said the desk staff is warm and friendly, and once again the location is great. In any of the other hotel immediately surrounding you can expect to add $70.00+ (minimum) per night to your stay.

You are surrounded by places to eat (Einstiens Bagels for breakfast- a GREAT italian restaurant across the street, a few pubs and a great raw bar around the corner. There are stores for last minute forgotten items, and a publix for wine and champagne. Best of all youi can take a ten minute walk down the block and see your ship in the morning. Those in my group on the upper floors saw the ships from their bedrooms.

Room keys are odd and you need to get the hang of them andBe aware if you are booking via the internet, you may NOT get the bed request made so it is best to call the hotel to book.

More than one night I would recommend looking for a few more amenities.

• Stayed February 2010
1 Thank zamgwar
sunrise
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 1, 2010

i thought this hotel was pretty good for the amount of money paid.. no it's not the best things but it wasn't dirty and didn't have bugs.. i would go again..the only thing i would recommend is to bring your own pillow because theres are flat..

• Stayed January 2010, traveled as a couple
Spartanburg, SC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2010

I am a former "Road Warrior" who has spent many nights in Extended Stay hotels. I have not been travelling for the past few years. On a business trip to Fort Lauderdale, I decided to see how Extended Stay was holding up. If this hotel is an example of the the rest of the chain, they are doing just fine.

I was greeted at the Front desk by Tahelia who was a delight. She has been with that hotel foever and seems to make all guests welcome as they arrive.

The guestroom had been updated with new furniture, new flooring, and new colors. It was clean and comfortable. The manager, Ruben Escobar, must be doing a great job because everyone I spoke with was pleasant and accommodating.

The hotel appeared to be very busy but it was quiet and overall a great place to stay. This old "Road Warrior" was happy to return and would recommend this hotel.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled on business
michgan
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2009

Stayed at the hotel pre and post cruise. Although the hotel itself was more then fine, it was very unaccomadating to us. There is no place to store luggage if you need to check out before you can get onto the cruise or if you are unable to check in afterwards. The hotel right next door was far more willing to accomadate their guests luggage, and thankfully ours.
The lady at the front desk was rude and not helpful in anyway. There is very limited times that they can shuttle to or from airport or cruise lines.
The room value is pretty good but not worth the headache of caring luggage around town and dealing with the person at front desk.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 stars
Northeast U.S.
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2009

This hotel provides comfort and a central location whether you're traveling for business (as I did) or are in town for fun or layover.

Front desk staff was very hospitable during check-in and at other times when I needed assistance with directions and a cab during checkout. I arrived at 10:00 am, and although I could have been turned away until afternoon check-in, a room was ready, and I could escape the outdoor heat.

I've become spoiled and accustomed to accessing an in-room refrigerator and microwave, which Extended Stay always makes available.

At first I thought that other reviews about the bed (queen sized in my room) were correct regarding extra firmness, but I think my discomfort came from all the walking I did the first day. On the second night, I was much more comfortable.

The hotel is surrounded by shops selling bagels, pizza, and sandwiches as well as a Publix market and other eat-in and take-out eateries in a strip mall that's in walking distance (put on your walking shoes, because it will take about 10 minutes to get there). This is another reason why the room's kitchen is convenient.

Speaking of Publix, bring their prepared food of lemon chicken with side orders of mac & cheese and collard greens back to your room. Fantastic.

I found no bugs or in-room problems that could have been addressed during my four-day stay. One thing that may jar you is loud talking by other guests in the hallways and door closures from other rooms that seem overly loud. Both made me jump at times, and being from NYC, not much bothers me.

The #40 bus stops on the hotel's block ($1.25 per ride or a $3.00 all-day pass at this writing) and also across the street. Banks are very close, and so is Ross for Less, Office Depot, and Walgreens. Also, make sure you bring an umbrella if you're walking; that Fort Lauderdale sun is torture, and rain showers occur without warning.

The group that booked me at this hotel had a choice of putting me in Embassy Suites or the Renaissance, which are both in walking distance from Extended Stay. I'm glad they choose this facility.

Stayed August 2009, traveled on business