Extended Stay America - Ft. Lauderdale - Convention Center - Cruise Port
Ranked #69 of 128 Hotels in Fort Lauderdale
Miami Lakes, Florida
“Home away from Home”
Reviewed April 14, 2014

I needed a room near the convention center for a family meeting and chose the Extended Stay, which was offering the best price in the area. I was pleased at the facilities since it provided me with cooking facilities since I was traveling with my daughter and grandson. Nothing went wrong during my trip and I was pleased with the services.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (58)
Chesapeake, Virginia
Reviewed March 31, 2014

This hotel stay was the worse night at a hotel I have ever had. The room was so hot and never got cool so I was up all night listening to the refrigerator compressor kicking on and off constantly to try and work with the heat of the room. So I didnt sleep at all. I didnt call to change rooms because I checked in late after long hours of driving and was in my pjs and wasnt about to get dressed and schlep all my stuff to another room. The room was nasty and I was grossed out when I saw hair in the tub, I put clothing down on the sheets and pillows to lay on. I should have known better when I walked in the front and some man was having a conversation with the employee as he was drinking a bottle of beer. The interior of the hotel is dark and to me seedy looking. I was solo and rushed down the hall to get into my room. The only reason I dont give it a one star is because I let the manager know and he gave me half of my money back even though I do believe I should have received a full refund.

Room Tip: Room in another hotel is my suggestion
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled solo
Manager_11525, Manager at Extended Stay America - Ft. Lauderdale - Convention Center - Cruise Port, responded to this review, April 3, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your stay. I sincerely apologize for the maintenance issues and level of cleanliness in your room. I am working with our housekeeping staff to improve our cleaning procedures to ensure that your experience is not repeated. Also, I will meet with our entire staff to review our maintenance policies and guest protocol so that this issue does not affect our future guests. If you would like to provide additional feedback, feel free to contact me directly at, fls@extendedstay.com.

Again, thank you for the comments. I do hope that you will return to our hotel, or any of our other brand locations across the U.S. and Canada in the future.
Bangkok, Thailand
Reviewed March 31, 2014 via mobile

Relocating to FLL and spent a week at this property. It's an adequate no-frills hotel. The location was a positive; however the traffic on 17th was challenging at times.

The hotel was very clean but there was a strange odor on the first floor for the entire week. Check-in was fast and the manager was very friendly. On first look my room was very clean. However, there was no soap to wash dishes nor were there any paper towels.

I requested that staff refresh my room( a $5 charge to take out trash and bring fresh towels etc...) and this never happened. I extended my stay for 3 additional days and requested new sheets. Never happened!

Oh yea -- no gym, no pool. Limited channel selection. Thank goodness for ESPN. Bottom Line -- I'll try to find a place on VRBO before I book here again.

Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Ft. Lauderdale - Convention Center - Cruise Port, responded to this review, April 3, 2014
Erick - Thank you so much for posting a review of our hotel. I am glad to hear that you enjoyed your location and your clean room. Still, I apologize that your requested housekeeping services were never provided to you. I will be reviewing your comments with our staff to ensure your experience is not repeated. As well, I am sorry that our TV channel selection did not meet your needs. Your feedback will be helpful as we continue to improve our guest experience. Finally, please know that toiletries and many supplies are available upon request at the front desk, should you need them in the future. Thank you again for your review. We hope to see you again, should your travels bring you back to our area.
Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic
Reviewed March 31, 2014 via mobile

The extended stay are good and safe hotels and also most pf the time have fair prices. My experience this time was the same but:
1- the shower faucet too complicated
2- elevator was dirty
3- I miss the oven
4- the business center was awful
5- the weekend rates: way too high

Stayed March 2014, traveled solo
Manager_11525, Manager at Extended Stay America - Ft. Lauderdale - Convention Center - Cruise Port, responded to this review, April 7, 2014
Thank you for sharing your experience with us. I am disappointed to learn that your stay with us did not meet your expectations. I apologize for the level of cleanliness on our elevator and am working with the housekeeping staff to improve our cleaning procedures so that this does not affect future affects. Your feedback regarding our fully equipped kitchens, bathrooms and hotel rates will help us in our efforts to continually improve our hotel.

If you would like to discuss this further, please do not hesitate to contact me at, fls2@extendedstay.com. We would love to have another chance to provide you with a better experience in the near future.
Meriden, Connecticut
Reviewed March 17, 2014

i stayed at this hotel 2/25/2014 to 3/6/2014. all personnel from mgt. to operations were great, always in good humor and ready to answer any questions. this hotel is in a great location, close to the airport and port everglades. additionally, the surrounding area has many restaurants and a variety of stores. with a few minor improvements,this could be a great hotel in a great area.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled solo
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Ft. Lauderdale - Convention Center - Cruise Port, responded to this review, March 20, 2014
Ralph – I wanted to thank you for taking the time to write a review of your stay. I am so pleased to know that you enjoyed our location and our staff during your visit. I look forward to sharing your kind remarks with our team. Thank you for choosing Extended Stay Hotels. We would love to see you again, should your travels bring you back to our area.
MADISON, Wisconsin
Reviewed March 13, 2014

I had read some not-so-good reviews of this hotel before we arrived. But, we couldn't find another one to switch to, so we hoped for the best during a two-night, pre-cruise, stay. I called the hotel directly the day before our arrival to check on the "no ice machines in the hotel" comment I had read. I was told they had an ice machine on each floor. I also verified the cost of the room at $208, including all charges. They will charge your for your entire stay when you arrive, which violates rules they are required to follow by the major credit card companies.

Take it from me; there is no icemaker in the entire hotel, and they denied tellng me this. The charges I ended up paying under protest were $262 per night, at least twice what this place is worth. And, one person I spoke with was actually paying $138 per night for this, at best, two-star property.

Despite a great location (near many restaurants and stores, and close to a water taxi stop and Port Everglades) and a decent physical structure, everything about this place screams cheap. Instead of providing a decent experience and charging appropriately, the management thinks it can survive long-term by gouging people on the room price and pinching pennies on every single part of the guest experience. The business center is obviously a filthy old broom closet, with two antique computers trying to access achingly slow internet service. It is kept locked, has no signage, and has one dirty chair, with another available "upon request" at the front desk.

The internet service in the rooms is dreadfully slow and cannot be accessed by following the printed instructions provided, but only by asking how to really make it work.

Their is no daily housekeeping service, the kitchen equipment, like everything else in the place, is the cheapest money can buy. The kitchenette is completely antiquated, the newest part being a $30 miniature microwave. The stovetop must be at least 30 years-old. The mattresses were vary hard, as mentioned in other reviews, yet were so thin I could squeeze the top and bottom togther with one rather small hand.

Tiny bits of the cheapest soap and shampoo were offerred, along with dollar store towels. You could read a newspaper through the toilet paper. The toilet was loose and rocking, despite being siliconed to the floor, indicating some very amateurish maintenance work.

Two positive things about our stay. 1. The air conditioner worked. 2. The staff tried to smile and be nice while enforcing all of endless rules and working in such a cheapo, penny-pinching place.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
2 Thank 1redleg
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Ft. Lauderdale - Convention Center - Cruise Port, responded to this review, March 14, 2014
The feedback provided in your review is much appreciated. I apologize that you were not pleased with our free Wi-Fi, your mattress or your fully equipped kitchen. As well, I am sorry that our housekeeping policy did not meet your needs. Lastly, I apologize for our lack of an ice machine. Your comments will be considered as we continue to improve our hotel. Please feel free to contact me directly, at fls2@extendedstay.com, with any additional comments or questions. I do hope that you will stay at our hotel, or any of our other Extended Stay Hotels locations in the future.
México
Reviewed March 10, 2014

We booked about two months prior arrival. Over the phone the guys were very helpful. We were told that they would pick us up at FLL airport. We were. The first person we greeted (and whose name I can't remember) was completely friendly and helpful to our needs. Once we arrived to the property, the girl at the front desk (Cindya) was also very helpful and answered all our questions regarding the hotel and the city and its surroundings. We also were assisted by Moises (a few days after our arrival) and Aragon, who is the manager of the hotel. I want to congratulate them, as they really made us feel as if we were home (one of the goals of this hotel chain).

We were told that every morning from 7 to 9:30, there would be apples, oranges, bananas, coffee, hot chocolate, muffins and oats, and that we could take them to our room or to go. It was a plus, as we saved some time and money on breakfast. You are allowed to take as much as you need.

The room was very nice. They seem to have been redecorated recently. Everything seems new. In the room there are some appliances for your convenience, like microwave, coffee maker, a small stove and even a fridge. In the closet you can find an iron and an iron board. We then bought some food and cook there. The bathroom was pretty nice, clean and spacious. The AC was working perfectly, as well as the TV. The internet, however, was somewhat slow. Not good for streaming some videos on youtube, but good enough for checking e-mail and social networks. On the lobby there is a laundry room with 3 or 4 washing machines and driers. There is, as well, a soda and a snack machine (too expensive, though, better walk to Walgreens which is on the corner or 17th SE and Eisenhower Blvd).

The bad things: the elevators look good, but make a lot of sounds when in use, and they are too slow when opening and closing doors and when operating. And second, they charge you an extra $5 for each day you want the room to be serviced/cleaned. If you do not pay this extra fee you have to clean your room, dry your towels and make your bed, as well as taking out the trash yourself.

Room Tip: Top floors get less noise from the street.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank César B
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Ft. Lauderdale - Convention Center - Cruise Port, responded to this review, March 13, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to write a review of our hotel. I am so glad to hear that you were pleased with our newly renovated rooms, our location and your fully equipped kitchen. As well, I’m happy that our grab-and-go breakfast and our friendly, helpful staff met your needs. Still, I apologize that our free Wi-Fi, elevator and housekeeping service did not meet your expectations. Your feedback will be helpful as we continue to improve our guest experience. Thank you again for our comments. We look forward to seeing you again, should your travels bring you back to our area.