“Great Hotel and Great Location”

Extended Stay America - Ft. Lauderdale - Convention Center - Cruise Port
Ranked #75 of 128 Hotels in Fort Lauderdale
Reviewed May 22, 2011

As a travel agent I could have stayed anywhere but chose this hotel for several nights when i attended the Cruise 360 convention so I could an alternative hotel for clients going on cruise ships. Hotel and room is clean and staff is great. Walked to the convention center every day. Shopping in the area is excellent as are the restauants. if you are looking for a reasonable hotel at a good price you should not be disappointed. Remember you are not staying at the 5 star W hotel or something on that level.

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled on business
3  Thank PatBob56

Reviewed April 20, 2011

I stayed here for 5 nights while attending a conference at the convention center. I was looking for the best combination of good price and walking distance to the conference. This property fit the bill.

The room is nothing to write home about -- a bed, an easy chair, a small table. And the view isn't really worth opening the curtains for. But you're probably not staying here for that.
The kitchen was more than I expected, though. The fridge is an apartment-sized fridge (about 5 feet tall). There is a 2-burner stovetop, a stainless steel sink, and some basic dishes (plates, bowls, coffee mugs, drinking glasses, utensils. I walked the block-and-a-half to the Winn-Dixie across the street (there's also a Publix the other direction) and got some yogurts for breakfast, and some snacks.

The first room I checked into had obviously been smoked in (the smell tipped me off, but the burn marks in the comforter confirmed it). I inquired at the front desk about changing, and they switched me immediately.

There are no amenities (shampoo, conditioner, etc), so bring yours with you. There also wasn't any dish soap in the room, though I didn't ask if the front desk might have some.

As for sound, I could definitely tell when people were allowing the stairwell fire doors to slam behind them -- kindof shook the walls. If you are assigned to a room right next to the stairs, I'd ask about moving. But the clientele while I was there was quiet, no issues there.

The internet was my least favorite part. The price was right -- $4.99 for the stay -- but I should have opted to pay the $3/day (I think that was the rate) extra for the high-speed. It worked pretty well for most of my needs, but when I tried to stream a movie one night, it was a very frustrating experience.

The front desk staff was friendly and helpful every time I had questions or concerns.

And the location was about as good as I could have asked for, for this purpose. It took me 5-10 minutes (depending on how peppy I was feeling) to walk to the convention center. The only hotels closer were the Hilton and the Renaissance.
There's a Starbucks, Einstein Bagels, FedEx, and sushi place right across the street, with lots of other restaurants and shops with a few blocks. I never felt unsafe. I didn't walk to the beach, so can't speak to that.

Lastly, I think they do have a shuttle for the airport, though it wasn't mentioned on their site, Perhaps call ahead to ask about that, and save the cab fare.

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled on business
2  Thank spoons
Reviewed January 19, 2011

This was the worst hotel experience I have ever encountered. Lets start from the beginning they almost charged my credit card twice, upgrated us from 2 queen beds to a suite with only 1 king bed for 4 travelers, requested a non-smoking room and recieved a smoking room, loud music preceeded to play all night long throughout the stay, the sheets on the bed were stained and had to request new sheets in which they asked us to come get them from downstairs, the shuttle transfer to the cruise port was very unorganized and overbooked, getting you the port late. In other words the COSTOMER SERVICE WAS HORRIBLE........NEVER STAY HERE EVER

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank christine44257
Reviewed January 10, 2011

I used to live across the road from this hotel and I watched it being built. Plus I was one of the very first people to stay at it back in the mid-90s when it first opened. Since then I think it's been painted twice and they've replaced the carpets at least once. They've also replaced the TVs with LG flat screens.

I used to stay here a lot, mainly because it was the first hotel I can remember that had broadband. Then for some bizarre reason they got rid of it around 1999 and then around 2000 they put in a wireless connection that runs at 512 kbits/s (half a megabit for those of you too young to remember) - and they've still got it! If you want to pay you can get two megabits, oooooh.

The hotel is starting to show its age now, but it's reasonably priced and it's near the beach and the shops. If you stay nearer the beach you're going to be paying a lot more (except at the Yankee Clipper which is frankly a dump) and if you want to stay in a newer hotel you will be nowhere near the beach (e.g. the Crowne Plaza).

One thing I did notice is that they need to invest in some new linen, the stuff in my room smelled of sweat even though it was clean and being an Extended Stay America they only change it once a week.

It's a better deal than the Holiday Inn Express opposite because it has a kitchen, but don't delude yourself into thinking you'll be in the lap of luxury.

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled solo
1  Thank CS6
Reviewed December 6, 2010

Great hotel at a great price. We were in Fort Lauderdale on black Friday and spent one night at the hotel before leaving for a cruise. The staff was incredible. About 14 of us arrived at the same time and well before check in time. Every effort was made to get us to our rooms with no delay. The rooms were clean, well equipped and comfortable. We needed some extra pillows and they were brought to us as soon as the request was made. Many thanks to Tiffany who took one of my party back to the airport to meet another person who was arriving very late, waited for them and brought the two of them back to the hotel. What a wonderful person.

The hotel is close to everything, airport, seaport, restaurants and shopping. Shopping at Ross and Dollar Tree filled the hours we spent there.

There was a slight smell of cigarette smoke in the elevators and the hallway on the first floor, but this did not detract from the overall great stay we had at the hotel.

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled with friends
1  Thank Travelagent40
Reviewed December 2, 2010

This hotel was conveniently located on 17th st. near the causeway and cruiseport. There were serveral restaurants nearby. The rooms were clean and adequate. This is a basic hotel but has a little kitchenette which can be convenient with stove, microwave and 1/2 size refrigerator. Elevators had strange noise when opening and closing. Staff was pleasant and helpful. Although, internet is advertised in public areas, I had to pay a fee on the one night stay of $4.95 for connection. Connection in the room was a breeze with very fast internet. These types of hotels can have some strange characters staying in them, so be aware. This seems to be one of the better Extended Stay hotels.

Stayed: November 2010, traveled on business
2  Thank Susie P
Reviewed December 1, 2010

I actually work for Expedia and normally do not fill out reviews. But I must say this is a great property. I would recommend this hotel to any of my clients going on a cruise. The room was very clean and the staff was OUTSTANDING!!! The hotel is located close to a Walgreens, Winn Dixie grocery store, great resturants. Interenet service is $4.99 for your entire stay. The property is very close to the cruise port and and they have a complimentary shuttle that will take you to Port Everglades.

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled with friends
4  Thank waynelv
Travelers also viewed these Fort Lauderdale hotels
Candlewood Suites Ft. Lauderdale Air/Seaport
Candlewood Suites Ft. Lauderdale...
#35 of 128 in Fort Lauderdale
Crowne Plaza Fort Lauderdale Airport / Cruise Port
Crowne Plaza Fort Lauderdale Air...
#21 of 128 in Fort Lauderdale
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Ft. Lauderdale Airport/Cruise
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suit...
#12 of 128 in Fort Lauderdale
Extended Stay America - Fort Lauderdale - Cypress Creek - NW 6th Way
Extended Stay America - Fort Lau...
#74 of 128 in Fort Lauderdale
Best Western Plus Fort Lauderdale Airport/Cruise Port
Best Western Plus Fort Lauderdal...
#40 of 128 in Fort Lauderdale
Renaissance Fort Lauderdale Cruise Port Hotel
Renaissance Fort Lauderdale Crui...
#34 of 128 in Fort Lauderdale

Been to Extended Stay America - Ft. Lauderdale - Convention Center - Cruise Port? Share your experiences!

Additional Information about Extended Stay America - Ft. Lauderdale - Convention Center - Cruise Port

Address: 1450 SE 17th St, Fort Lauderdale, FL 33316-1710 (Formerly Extended Stay America Fort Lauderdale - Convention Center - Marina)
Location: United States > Florida > Broward County > Fort Lauderdale
Business Center with Internet Access Free Breakfast Free High Speed Internet ( WiFi ) Free Parking Kitchenette Pets Allowed ( Dog / Pet Friendly ) Shuttle Bus service Wheelchair access Airport Transportation
Ranked #75 of 128 Hotels in Fort Lauderdale
Price Range: $127 - $336 (Based on Average Rates for a Standard Room)
Hotel Class:2.5 star — Extended Stay America - Ft. Lauderdale - Convention Center - Cruise Port 2.5*
Welcome to Extended Stay America Fort Lauderdale - Airport-Cruiseport, conveniently located within walking distance to the Convention Center, Port Everglades and the Art Institute. Our hotel is designed especially for longer stays with studios featuring fully-equipped kitchens and plenty of work space… amenities you won't find in a typical hotel room. Cash is accepted as a form of payment for those guests paying by a weekly or monthly rate. A valid credit card must be kept on file for incidentals. Cash is not accepted as a method of payment for guests paying the daily rate. ... more   less
TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotels.com, Travelocity, Booking.com, Orbitz, Priceline, Hotwire, Extended Stay, Cancelon, TripOnline SA and getaroom.com so you can book your Extended Stay America - Ft. Lauderdale - Convention Center - Cruise Port reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
Extended Stayamerica Fort Lauderdale - Convention Center - Marina Hotel