“Shady guests at this place”

La Quinta Inn Ft. Lauderdale Tamarac East
Ranked #108 of 128 Hotels in Fort Lauderdale
Reviewed June 4, 2013

I almost feel bad writing this because the hotel itself is ok. For the money you pay the quality is just fine when it comes to cleanliness and comfort. It's the other guests that were there during my stay that made the experience completely unnerving. I just read a review from someone noting prostitution and drugs at this hotel and suddenly everything I saw while staying there makes sense. About 70% of the guests I came in contact with seemed extremely shady. Even though I was there with my boyfriend who is in law enforcement, I was so uncomfortable that I cut our stay short by two nights. I booked through Orbitz so I couldn't get any money back for unused nights, but I didn't care, I wanted OUT! Will never stay there (or anywhere close to there) again.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank LJRivvy

Reviewed June 3, 2013

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with La Quinta
1  Thank Vites_79
Reviewed May 23, 2013

Worst hotel every. I had to call the police because some randon person was trying to get into my room. When the police came he asked if I had ever stayed there because this hotel was very well know for drugs and prostitution on the 4th floor. So my room was next to the exit door which they kept propped open so the "men" could get in undetected. my in room phone was not working so i could not call the front desk and when i did call from my cell the lady was very unconcerned said she saw the man and told him he had to leave but there was nothing she could do as she was alone and security did not strt until 10pm!

Room Tip: get a room away from the exits!
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank ANTIHOLIDAYINN
Reviewed May 22, 2013

Great place. Helpful staff, confortable room, good breakfast, this is a great La quinta inn. Got some packages through mail, they kept for us. The only down side is the neighborhood. Although there are plenty of restaurants in the sorrundings, this is really not the best neighborhood, but not bad anyway. Would come back, definitely.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank RichardRio
Reviewed May 1, 2013

Just spent Spring Break here. I was running a bit late due to some rental car trouble and called ahead to inform the staff, they were friendly and said it was no problem. Booked a non-smoking King Sized room, upon check-in it was exactly what I requested.

The environment is casual and normal. I usually take a look at the type of cars parked and they were all decent. The other members staying were some families and some spring breakers all polite and friendly - none of which looked ghetto or shady. The noise level wasn't too bad in the hallways, it's just that sometimes at night it would get a little loud because of some trucks in the parking lot (not sure what they were doing) although it did look shady outside at night once and was concerning (group of men hanging in the lot sort of near my car) however, in the morning everything was safe and sound with my car.

The room was clean and housekeeping changed the linens everyday as requested. Didn't try the breakfast so no comment on that. The heat and cool worked perfect. The tv was a nice flat panel. I'm very odor sensitive so thank God there wasn't any horrible smells and the hotel was ventilated well.

It's roughly 15 mins from the beach and 5 mins from I-90, around 20-25 mins from Miami Beach which is not too bad and if you're landing and leaving from FTL airport its 5 mins. There's a dunkin' donuts and few other great restaurants nearby at fair prices.

Overall, I didn't have a bad experience and would choose this place again if I'm on a budget. I usually stay in luxurious hotels (Embassy/Double Tree/Raddison) but if you're on a budget and you want to save some money, but not stay at some weirdo ghetto motel or hostel or shady places, this is your pick! For the $40 per night savings, definitely worth it.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank D R
Reviewed April 23, 2013

I stayed at this hotel for 6 nights while visiting my Mom who lives nearby. It is not a luxury hotel if that is what you are looking for, but the room was nice and clean, the bed felt luxurious was extremely comfortable, and the staff couldn't be more accommodating. I was traveling alone and booked a room with 2 double beds thinking I would use 1 for my 'stuff' and sleep in the other. But when I checked in the woman at the desk saw that i was staying 6 nights and suggested that I take a room with a king size bed since those rooms had a refrigerator and microwave. It was a great idea.
My hotel of choice for this type of trip was the Hampton Inn which is a few blocks away from this hotel, but the price was from $30-$40 more per night. I stayed at the Hampton Inn a year ago, and the only thing they had that La Quinta didn't have was a gym if you like to have that. I had originally booked at the Mainstay suites where I stayed on my last trip, but I am so glad I switched because La Quinta was less expensive and newer than the Mainstay suites. (I will review that place also)
The price includes breakfast but during the week it is from 6-9 which I never made, and from 7-10 on weekends which I did try once. I don't know if it varies, but when I went down they had coffee, hard boiled eggs, white and whole wheat bread which you could toast, small muffins,you could make waffles, and they had several types of cold cereal.
They also have a small pool.
The location is about 30 minutes from the beach, 2 minutes from the turnpike if you want to go north to Palm Beach or Boca, and about 15 minutes from 595 which you take going west to go to Naples, Sarasota or Tampa, or if you go east towards 95, you can head down to the Miami area.
So if you are planning to spend time in the area and are not looking for a destination hotel, I highly recommend this La Quinta.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank BGNY
Reviewed April 23, 2013 via mobile

Staff are very friendly. You have to realize you get what you pay for. It is much quietwe than other hotel's at its level.

Cons:

The couch was dirty and they said they will clean it.

Conclusion:

Non smoking room is good for one or two nights stay in a quiet place.

• Stayed: April 2013
Also consider these accommodations in or near Fort Lauderdale
La Quinta Inn & Suites Fort Lauderdale Tamarac
La Quinta Inn & Suites Fort Laud...
#59 of 128 in Fort Lauderdale
La Quinta Inn & Suites Ft Lauderdale Cypress Creek
La Quinta Inn & Suites Ft Lauder...
#95 of 128 in Fort Lauderdale
La Quinta Inn Ft. Lauderdale Northeast
La Quinta Inn Ft. Lauderdale Nor...
#76 of 128 in Fort Lauderdale
Comfort Inn & Suites
Comfort Inn & Suites
#79 of 128 in Fort Lauderdale
Hampton Inn Ft. Lauderdale - Cypress Creek
Hampton Inn Ft. Lauderdale - Cyp...
#53 of 128 in Fort Lauderdale
Extended Stay America - Fort Lauderdale - Tamarac

Been to La Quinta Inn Ft. Lauderdale Tamarac East? Share your experiences!