Hampton Inn Fort Lauderdale Airport North Cruise Port
Ranked #8 of 128 Hotels in Fort Lauderdale
Bellarine Peninsula Vic Australia
“3 Days of R&R”
Reviewed March 31, 2013

Arrived at FLL Aiport at 8.30pm and rang hotel on the hotel phones kiosk to be told "no reservation" and then the girl just hung up. Realized I had rung the Downtown Hotel rather than the Hampton Airport. No US coins or US sim for my phone so proceeded to the area for Hotel pick-ups. The Hampton Van went past three times in the inside lane and didn't stop or look. There for over an hour, even the Best Western driver noticed I had been there awhile and offered to take me on his next trip. Nice gesture. Shuttle did eventually stop and checked into hotel and met by lovely smiling lady who even booked my cruise shuttle three days prior to Saturday make sure I got my choice of departures.
The room was very comfortable and a great bed ensured great sleep. Nice toiletries and little coffee filter machine. Coffee and Cookies available 24/7 in the lobby as is free internet set for quick emails.
Manager David was very visable and accessible to the guests and made sure his guests were comfortable, first time I've seen that.
The lovely ladies in the Breakfast Bar looked after everyone and there was ample to choose from. Like the idea of the large table with stools around, great way to meet people and have a chat.
Located near some fast food outlets, two dollar discount stores and a men's barber - handy for the pre-cruise snip! Caught a cab to a shopping mall and spent time at the pool enjoying the Florida sun. Got to meet other passengers also on the Grand Princess cruise.
Very pleased with my choice of Hampton and wasn't aware what a huge chain it is - will def stay here again. Also, the free shuttle to the Cruise port on Saturday was appreciated. The young driver was hilarious and battled through the thick traffic like a champ. The smiling staff are a credit to the hotel.
Maybe the hotel might consider having their hotel phone on the reservation kiosk at the Airport?

• Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
3 Thank David K
DavidBlevins, General Manager at Hampton Inn Fort Lauderdale Airport North Cruise Port, responded to this review, April 1, 2013
Greetings David K!! I wanted to thank you for taking the time to write a nice review about my hotel on Trip Advisor! We love hearing from our happy guests! I am so happy that you found my staff to be helpful and friendly and that you thought the room and the bed comfy! My apologies about not having a phone board, but most of our guests just use their cell phone or just ask someone in the airport to call for you. (as we do not come to the airport unless we are called) . I would love to welcome you back to my hotel on your next visit to SUNNY FLORIDA!!

GM

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (201)
Chantilly
Reviewed March 31, 2013

This is a hotel that is in need of an update. Service is ok and they seem to really try but feels like they are a bit overwhelmed the night and morning of a cruise leaving and hotel sold out.

Shuttle service takes some time to get to the airport to pick you up so just expect that.

In the morning they have set times for you to take the shuttle bus to your cruise.

Shuttle bus will only take you to restaurants and other locations within a mile of hotel other than for cruise and airport. We asked and they will not take you to a restaurant or store that is 2 miles away.

If you just need a place to crash that is convenient then this place works well.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Andy F
Hello Andy F!! I wanted to thank you for taking the time to give us your feedback on Trip Advisor on your most recent stay with us. I am glad that you felt the service was good and that my staff tries very hard to make your stay enjoyable! Yes it is true, on busy cruise days, sometimes the hotel can look like "organized chaos" and my staff is multitasking to the limits (but so is every other busy cruise port hotel). We are actuallly one of the few hotels that will take guests anywhere other than the airport and the cruise port so we feel like our one mile radius is pretty generous with regards to area restaurants (We always try to accomodate any reasonable request, but my insurance will not cover us outside of that range). I do thank you for your business and would love to welcome you back to my hotel on your next visit to SUNNY FLORIDA!

Metairie, Louisiana, United States
Reviewed March 29, 2013

Small but very nice hotel. Staff were very friendly and helpful. Shuttle picked us up from Cruise dock and brought us to hotel. Shuttle was available to take us to dinner at restaurant of choice. Hotel was able to furnish us with menus of restaurants close to hotel. We throughly enjoyed our stay at the Hampton. Complementary breakfast was furnish. We were on our way home and wanted to rest before hitting the airlines again. Great and restful Hotel experience.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Liz P
Hello there Liz P! I truly appreciate you taking the time to write a nice review about my hotel on Trip Advisor! We love hearing from our wonderful guests! I am thrilled that you thought the staff was very friendly and very helpful! It also sounds like you had a nice experience with our shuttle service as well. Thanks again and I would love to welcome you back to my hotel on your next visit to SUNNY FLORIDA!!

Denver, Colorado
Reviewed March 28, 2013 via mobile

We stayed here one night on our way to Port of Miami after a flight into FLL. We were picked up by the wheelchair accessible shuttle within 15 minutes of calling and brought right to the hotel. We were a little shocked to not have the driver belt in or lock down our sons wheelchair but we were right there and felt OK hanging onto it during the short ride...not that we were asked but we didn't say anything either in fairness.

The four of us, two parents two teens, were able to share a room with a rollaway brought in. I had requested a rollaway when I made the reservation and was happy to find it already in the room. We had the standard double room, handicapped accessible. The room has a fridge and microwave. The property has free wi-fi that works well. My son used the gym and while he said it was very small he had it all to himself and I worked out perfectly.

There is a strip mall and a McDonalds within very easy walking distance (less than half a block). The strip mall has a Big Lots, Dollar Store, Subway and Winn-Dixie grocery. I picked up wine for the cruise at Winn-Dixie and some stuff for dinner at the Deli there. The Deli wasn't the freshest I have ever encountered and wouldn't recommend it. We had stopped into the Slackers restaurant there but shockingly they did not have a wheelchair accessible table.

I found the bed comfortable. My husband didn't. They are the pillow top kind and we have a Tempurpedic at home so I think it really is just a matter of preference. Breakfast the next morning was more than enough for my 3 hungry guys - waffles, sausage, cereal, oatmeal, coffee, juice, pastries, etc.

No issue with wheelchair accessibility here. Everything was easy to access and everyone was accommodating.

Staff here was welcoming and friendly. To be honest it has more of a commercialized B&B feel with how nice the staff is and the coffee bar and snacks set up all day.

This place is not fancy. I agree with other reviewers, it is well worn but if you are looking for a safe, comfortable, easy and inexpensive place to crash the night before a cruise, this is your place.

Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Barb L
DavidBlevins, General Manager at Hampton Inn Fort Lauderdale Airport North Cruise Port, responded to this review, March 28, 2013
Hello there Barb L!! Thanks so much for taking the time to write a nice review about my hotel on Trip Advisor! I am thrilled to hear that you were so impressed with my staff that you felt like you were in a Bed and Breakfast! I appreciate hearing that, my staff works awfully hard to make sure that everyone has a GREAT stay! I am also happy to hear that your accessibility needs were met with our hotel. Please feel free to contact me directly if anyone has any special needs that we can be of extra service for- we are happy to help! As a proud GM, I will take a small exception with the phrase "well worn"....We are obviously not the shiny new penny we were 10 years ago....but my little hotel still stacks up with the best of em! I would love to welcome you back to my hotel on your next visit to SUNNY FLORIDA!!
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed March 26, 2013

This hotel is a great property for a pre or post cruise stay. It's location so close to the cruiseport and airport makes it a convenient stop off. The free shuttle service adds to the convenience. The hotel itself though is a little tired and could use an update. The bedding in the rooms need a major overhaul. The hotel is kept clean and the staff are wonderful, but aside from the proximity to the airport/cruiseport there is little else in the area. The free breakfast is mediocre at best. For a 1 night stay pre or post cruise, this hotel is good, however I do not recommend for a longer stay.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank RBFToronto
DavidBlevins, General Manager at Hampton Inn Fort Lauderdale Airport North Cruise Port, responded to this review, March 27, 2013
Greetings RBFToronto!! I wanted to thank you for giving us your feedback on your most recent stay with us. We do appreciate hearing from our guests. I am very happy that you found the hotel to be clean and the staff to be WONDERFUL! It also sounds like you thought the location was great for cruisers and guests going to and from the airport.(that is exactly who we cater to!!) I am sorry that you did not enjoy the breakast- it is the Hampton brand standard breakfast that has hot items (sausage, bacon, eggs or omlettes), cold items (muffins, danish, cold cereals) and even items for those watching their waist line (hard boiled eggs, Yogurt and mixed fruit). I would love to welcome you back to my hotel on your next visit to SUNNY FLORIDA!!

Virginia
Reviewed March 24, 2013

We stayed 4 nights at the Hampton Inn this past week. We visited with Friends from England that were leaving on a transatalntic cruise on Friday, March 22. Had a good stay in a very clean, Friendly place, free shuttle service from Airport to Hotel and hotel to cruise port. Mr. Belvins, manager was always around making sure everything was perfect for your stay. We shall stay there again.

Room Tip: This Hotels stays booked up. Book early.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
DavidBlevins, General Manager at Hampton Inn Fort Lauderdale Airport North Cruise Port, responded to this review, March 25, 2013
Greetings Tanzer!! I wanted to personally thank you for taking the time to write a nice review on Trip Advisor. We truly appreciate your business!! I am so happy that you found the rooms to be clean, the staff friendly and the shuttle to be a nice amenity for you. Thanks for the shout out to the ole GM......I want all my guests to be happy guests and am always around if any guest needs anything! The biggest compliment was that you said you will be staying with us again! I want to welcome you back to my hotel on your next visit to SUNNY FLORIDA!!

London, Canada
Reviewed March 23, 2013

This hotel is a short distance from the airport and also the ports for all cruise lines..
The hotel is not modern, rather old, but still reasonably well kept. It's clean and the rooms have the usual type stuff.
I wouldn't stay here for a vacation, but if you need a place to stay before or after a cruise it works well.. Also located very close is a grocery store and liquor store, should you need to get a couple items prior to sailing..
A couple things to be aware of are;
- the shuttles (flamingos on the roof, so easy to see) are few a far between. The shuttle will take you to the ship but you need to book it early ( as soon as you check in), as the a a lot of people that are sailing at the same time you are..
- the lobby gets congested whe people are leaving, but they seem to have a system that works. Just be patient.
- the biggest issue is getting picked up after your cruise. There are no phones available, so unless you have access to a US phone, it's hard to get ahold of the hotel to come and pick you up. We had to borrow a phone to call in.. That whole process took almost 45 minutes from disembarkment until being picked up.. It seemed a bit frustrating.
Having said that once we spoke to the driver and realized that 5 cruise ships come in at the same time, meaning almost 15,000 people needing rides in a short period of time, it makes sense why it's so hectic..
All in all a solid location for the needs of cruising, but not a location I would pick to spend a few days on vacation..

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank Luv2travel6768
Hello Luv2travel6768!! Thanks for taking the time to write a nice review on Trip Advisor about my hotel. We do appreciate your business. I am happy that you found the rooms to be clean and well kept. You had mentioned that you felt the hotel is not "modern" and I just wanted to let you know that we have designed the hotel in a British Colonial theme on purpose! It is unique in its appearance and being so close to the Islands and the cruise terminal, we designed the hotel a little different than your standard Hampton. We do not have a phone board at the airport nor does the Port Everglades cruise port offer them. Most of our international guests are investing in a small prepaid cell phone(which I would personally recommend for anyone traveling outside their country for their safety anyway) for situations just like this. It does get a little busy at the port when there are multiple ships coming in on the same day and all hotels go through the challenge of picking up guests that are coming in all at once. We do our very best to get everyone picked up and back to the hotel as soon as humanly possible. I do appreciate you saying that this is a SOLID location for cruise guests because that IS our business! I would love to welcome you back to my hotel on your next visit to SUNNY FLORIDA!!