“Hampton Inn Fort Lauderdale - A most welcoming hotel !”

Hampton Inn Fort Lauderdale Airport North Cruise Port
Ranked #8 of 128 Hotels in Fort Lauderdale
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
“Hampton Inn Fort Lauderdale - A most welcoming hotel !”
Reviewed February 25, 2013

We are "cruisers" and as such like to stay in a hotel that is in close proximity to the ship harbour. For the first time ever we chose the Hampton Inn at Fort Lauderdale. We were not disappointed. The rooms were impeccable, and the staff was extremely friendly, helpful and polite. The complimentary breakfast was well stocked and the coffee was as it should be - hot! Despite the number of guests that come and go at different times of the day, everything went so smoothly. Departures on the bus from the hotel to the Port Everglades were well organized. It was a very pleasant experience overall. I like that the Hampton is a short drive from the airport, close to the cruise ships, has a Mall across the street, and a couple of good restaurants nearby and especially that the hotel has a pool! I would definitely recommend the Hampton to all my friends. Congratulations David Blevins, on maintaining such great standards!

1 Thank Joyce A
DavidBlevins, General Manager at Hampton Inn Fort Lauderdale Airport North Cruise Port, responded to this review, February 26, 2013
Greetings Joyce A!! I wanted to personally THANK YOU for writing such a nice review about my hotel on Trip Advisor! We always love hearing from our wonderful guests. I really appreciate you saying that although it was quite busy, we still appeared to be organized and everything ran smoothly for you! I am also thrilled that you felt the rooms were "impeccable" and the staff very friendly. The biggest compliment you gave me was saying that you would recommend my hotel to all your friends....THANKS!! I would love to welcome you back to my hotel on your next visit to SUNNY FLORIDA!!

GM

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (201)
Mt. Pleasant, S.C.
Reviewed February 25, 2013

We stayed at this property a year ago and returned this year as the place to stay the night before a cruise. This hotel is very close to the Ft. Lauderdale cruise port and makes a convenient place to stay before or after a cruise. They had a small fleet of vans that they will use to pick you up and redelivery you to airports. In addition, the vans are used to take you and pick you up at your cruise ship. The vans are white with pink flamigos on top. They are very easy to spot. If you drive in to Ft. Lauderdale, you may also park your car in their lot for the duration of your cruise.
We had an excellent experience at this hotel again this year. We arrived in the evening before the cruise. The check in desk was small but had three people working there. They got me quickly checked in. In addition, they made sure which ship I was going to board the next day an set up a schedule so I would know what time my shuttle would be ready to take me to the ship.
The room was typical Hampton decor. It was clean and neat. The lobby had a computer for checking last minute emails and there was coffee available. The hotel was very quiet and we had a great night's sleep.
The next morning, breakfast was available in the lobby and was very good. It had hot waffles, breads, fruits, juice, coffee, and various other items.
The hotel is close to the cruise port and Ft. Lauderdale airport, so it does not appear to be near beaches or high end shopping. There is, however, a small shopping center next door and a variety of fast food restaurants. For those needing last minute items that were forgotten to pack or a fast food hamburger, those are available.
The drive to the cruise port was right on time and done with an excellent driver. He was professional, polite and very friendly. He took care of heavy luggage and made sure we were comfortable.
Upon finishing the cruise, we called the hotel when we had cleared customs and were outside. The van arrived in 15 minutes and was clearly visible by the pink flamingos on the roof. Again, the driver was professional. polite and very helpful. He got our luggage and got us on our way.
When we got back to the hotel, we went inside to thank those at the desk and got another cup of coffee. Our car was parked outside and ready to go.
We enjoy cruisind and believe this is an excellent hotel for those that cruise out of the Ft. Lauderdale port. On future cruises from this port, we will use this hotel again. The overall price for the one night and then 8 days of parking seemed a bit high, but the service was excellent.

Room Tip: A person seeking to use this hotel as a place to stay immediately before or after a cruise, should m...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Howdy SCTraveler16! I wanted to thank you for taking the time to write a nice review about my hotel on Trip Advisor. We love hearing from our fabulous guests after they stay with us. I am so happy that you had a great nights sleep and thought our staff was friendly and efficient! It is also nice to hear that our drivers took great care of you and both were professional! Thanks again for being a return guest to my hotel and I would love to welcome you back again....on your next visit to SUNNY FLORIDA!!

Peoria Heights, Illinois, USA
Reviewed February 21, 2013

Excellent value, security, nice rooms with great beds and SUPERB staff !!! See the same staff visit after visit; have stayed here 9 times over 5 years. Complimentary shuttle to/from airport and cruise port is fantastic - look for the vans/buses with the pink flamingos on the roof. The shuttle will also take/pick you up from several restaurants in the immediate area. Free hot buffet breakfast.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
3 Thank CruiseDiva2000
DavidBlevins, General Manager at Hampton Inn Fort Lauderdale Airport North Cruise Port, responded to this review, February 22, 2013
Hello there CruiseDiva2000!! Thanks so much for taking the time to write such a nice review about my hotel on Trip Advisor! WOW! You have stayed in my hotel 9 times in 5 years? I feel very priviliaged to have a loyal, fantastic guest like YOU! We really appreciate you. Most of my staff have been here for years and I am happy to hear you say that you appreciate seeing familiar faces on your return trips with us.... and thanks for saying that my staff is "Superb"!!
I would love to personally invite you for trip NUMBER 10 to my hotel on your next visit to SUNNY FLORIDA!! ( email me directly for a super duper 10th visit discount!....:)

Frostburg, Maryland
Reviewed February 21, 2013

This was an excellent hotel. Everyone was very nice and very helpful. The hotel was clean and the free breakfast offered a nice selection. Would definitely stay there again. The shuttle driver, Akim was so nice!

1 Thank smithsweare
Greetings Smithweare! I wanted to personally thank you for taking the time to write a nice review about my hotel on Trip Advisor! We truly appreciate your business! I am thrilled that you thought this hotel was EXCELLENT and that the hotel was clean and everyone in the hotel was very nice! (specifically Arkim- he is an outstanding employee and always does what he can to ensure that guests are well taken care of! I would love to welcome you back to my hotel on your next visit to SUNNY FLORIDA!!

New Jersey, USA
Reviewed February 21, 2013

I stayed here during an overnight flight layover with my 18 month old.
I wasn't sure about how the airport shuttle worked after we landed. After waiting awhile I called the hotel to see what the deal was and was told I had to call to be picked up. To any manager reading this: That might be information Hampton Inn should include on the web site as well as confirmation emails. If I missed it, my bad.
The staff was very friendly upon check in. Days before we arrived I requested a crib for my 18 month old and we were told it would be in the room upon check in. It wasn't but it was delivered within 5 minutes of us walking into our room. I'm wondering if the crib request before we got there somehow resulted in us getting a handicapped accessible room. We didn't need one and I felt bad taking up a room from a guest who really needed it.
The bed was comfy and the thermostat is idiot proof so I could adjust the room temperature as needed.
The hotel is in a great location where you can get almost anything within walking distance. We walked a few feet to the McDonalds where I got us dinner for the night. There's also a grocery store and bar nearby. Some people might get scared off by the Floridians at the plaza who patronize Slackers but they're harmless.
Breakfast was great, I always enjoy the Hampton Inn breakfast experience. Check out was a breeze and the shuttle brought us back to the airport as scheduled.
If you're passing through, you can't go wrong here. It's a little bit pricier than other hotels but you get your money's worth via the breakfast, amenities, friendly staff, and having everything you need within walking distance.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank JerseyJosh
How ya doin JerseyJosh! I really appreciate you taking the time to write a nice review about my hotel on Trip Advisor. We love hearing from our wonderful guests! I am VERY happy that you thought the staff was very friendly and that the breakfast was great! You also mentioned that the bed was comfy and the shuttle service was prompt. (You should have received a letter before you arrived from PAT- our virtual concierge that mentioned calling us directly when you get your bags at the airport for shuttle pick up). Just to answer your handicap room question, the request of the crib has nothing to do with the room you received, occupancy does! We have been blessed to be sold out most days in January and February so more than likely, those were the only rooms available but dont worry....we have plenty accessible rooms available for those that need them! Thanks again for your review and I would love to personally welcome you back to my hotel on your next visit to SUNNY FLORIDA!!

Bellmore, New York
Reviewed February 20, 2013

Visited this hotel on Feb.7th just before going off on a cruise. Free hotel pick up at airport is great and same for free trip to the cruise port next morning. Hotel staff very friendly but the hotel corridors and common areas are in need of a spruce up. Rooms are clean but nothing to brag about, standard for Hampton Inn. Breakfast simple as are most at the Hampton with nothing special. Ate breakfast at 9 am and they were running out of items already. Good hotel for transit to cruise lines, but would not stay here for extended periods.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
DavidBlevins, General Manager at Hampton Inn Fort Lauderdale Airport North Cruise Port, responded to this review, February 21, 2013
Greetings Tworiveertravelers! Thanks for taking the time to give us your feedback on your last stay with us. We do strive to offer the best service and value in the area. Although I am a little disappointed that we only rated 3 out of 5 stars in your review, I am happy that you mentioned that the rooms were clean and the hotel staff was VERY friendly! It also sounds like you had a good experience with the shuttle service from the airport and to the cruise port. We strive to get perfect scores every time, so I would love to welcome you back to my hotel on your next visit to SUNNY FLORIDA so we can get it right the next time!

Ithaca, New York
Reviewed February 19, 2013

This hotel with a rather unwieldy name is just right for a one-night pre-cruise stay.

It offers a free 24 hour shuttle service. Just call the hotel when you arrive to the airport. A white van with a flock of pink flamingos on the top will come pick you up. Note that the location for the shuttle was a bit tricky to find, even with the directions (from E Terminal- go to the right). There were signs that said ‘Shuttles to Hotels’, but it was a bit farther than I thought it would be, so we got a little confused. We eventually figured out that you had to keep going past the end of the terminal area. This area is open, not under the overhang, so if it is hot or raining you will be hot and or wet. The shuttle came within an acceptable amount of time and we just needed to confirm which hotel we were going to. Since there are 3 Hampton Inns in the area, it is important to be able to say the complete name or street name of the hotel. ‘Hampton Inn’ is not enough.

We arrived after midnight, and had to be buzzed in to the lobby for security purposes. Our check-in was quick and painless. We were assigned a room on the 5th floor, which was a handicap accessible room. We did not request a HA room, but I imagine that after midnight we weren’t taking this room away from a guest who may have needed it. The difference that we could tell was the large roll-in shower with the fold down bench. The bench was stuck in the down position, making the otherwise large shower actually not so large. We were worried that the water would splash all over the floor, and the drain was in the shower, with no overflow drain in the middle of the floor, but it seemed to be mostly self-contained in the shower.

The room had a faint humid/musty smell that we often notice in Florida hotels. It was not obtrusive in any way, and I am typically overly sensitive to smells, most people would probably not even notice it.

When we checked in, we signed up for our shuttle to the cruise port. You can only sign up at the hotel in person. At that late hour, the shuttle options were limited- we could be on the 10:15 or 11:45, and there may have been later ones. We opted for the 10:15, which I thought was early, but it actually was a good choice.

The breakfast was your standard Hampton Inn fare, which offers a nice variety, including several hot items- waffles, and on our day, small omelettes and sausage links.

On certain days, there can be several cruise ships in port, and with the shuttles to the ports this hotel can be filled with other cruisers. This can just make it hectic in the morning.

The location is right next door to a shopping plaza that includes a Winn-Dixie and a liquor store that opens at 9 am. If your cruise line allows you to bring your own wine, you can buy your bottles right there, and also pick up sunscreen and bottled water or soda at the grocery store, or whatever else you forgot to pack!

We did not use the pool at the hotel because we were there for such a short time.
The shuttle was delayed about 20 minutes- there was a large group who had 2 full private shuttles, and another group that they tried to squeeze in, I think because they were trying to get to the airport and hadn’t bothered to reserve in advance. It was very accommodating of the hotel to put the extra run in, but it pushed all the other shuttles back. The manager was very apologetic and kept us informed, and even handed out bottled water to us as we waited. He eventually drove us to the port himself. Even with the delayed shuttle, we got to the port quickly and were onboard the ship by 11:00 am. There were no lines inside the port terminal at that time- the earlier arriving passengers had already gone through, and those who come in later hadn’t started to show up yet.

We found the staff at this hotel to be especially friendly. The lady servicing the breakfast area was very helpful, going to get me a cup of hot water for tea while the big container of water was being re-filled and out of service, and keeping the area replenished. The manager was around during the morning breakfast and shuttle rush, and came around and visited with all the groups. The shuttle was very convenient.

An additional item about booking- I checked rates with Expedia, and found that they had a sale on this particular hotel. Wanting to book directly with the hotel, I telephoned the hotel and asked if they would match the lower rate. I was told by the person on the phone that I would have to book that rate on the internet at the site I found it at. She only offered me one rate, and did not offer the pre-paid rates, AAA rates or any other rates that may have saved me money. She was very polite, but I didn’t get the rate I wanted or further information. I poked around online and found that Hilton has a Best Rate Guarantee Program, which I had suspected. The rules for the program are that you have to book the room with the Hilton Property (which I did online), and then find a lower rate within 24 hours. It had to be a verifiable lower rate, for a matching room. So I booked with Hampton, then filled out the online form with Hilton. They responded within 24 hours that they confirmed the lower rate at the other site, and matched the lowered rate and promised to send a $50 Amex Giftcard after my stay was completed. The e-mail response went to my spam folder, so I didn’t see it right away, but a telephone call confirmed at least that I had the lower rate. We stayed on a Wednesday night, and the promised $50 gift card arrived the following Tuesday.

As Hampton Inns go, I would rate the facility as a 3, but the staff as a 5+, so an overall 4. As a stand-alone Hampton Inn, it wasn’t my favorite, and for a multi-day stay in Fort Lauderdale it might not have been my first choice, but the convenience of both the port and airport shuttles, along with the free breakfast and close proximity to the grocery/liquor store made this a standout choice for one night pre-cruise. We would use this hotel again for a pre-cruise stay if we go out of Fort Lauderdale again.

Room Tip: Don't forget to sign up for shuttle service if you need it on your departure.
3 Thank OttoCal
DavidBlevins, General Manager at Hampton Inn Fort Lauderdale Airport North Cruise Port, responded to this review, February 20, 2013
Hello there OttoCal! I wanted to personally thank you for taking the time to write a nice review about my hotel! WOW! What a review! I truly appreciate your business! I am thrilled that you seemed to be very happy with the service you received at the hotel. We strive to make everyones stay a great one! It also sounds like you had a good experience with the shuttle and the breakfast. My apologies about the late start to the port, in our haste to be accomodating to everyone....sometimes it puts us back a few minutes! I do appreciate your patience and the good natured approach you and the other passengers had on that delayed shuttle! ( DONT WORRY.....BE HAPPY!...:) Thanks for saying that my staff rates a 5+ on a 5 scale... that means a lot to us! I would love to welcome you back to my hotel on your next visit to SUNNY FLORIDA!