“Pleasantly Surprised”

Hampton Inn Fort Lauderdale Airport North Cruise Port
Ranked #9 of 128 Hotels in Fort Lauderdale
“Pleasantly Surprised”
Reviewed June 10, 2012

As both a business and casual traveler, I have stayed off and on at Hampton Inn properties for almost two decades. Over the past five years, I have begun to lose faith in the overall quality of Hampton Inn (moldy showers, cracked sinks, dirty tile floors, stick carpet, rude personnel, loud guests, noise, etc). Needlessly to say, I was hesitant when my wife booked us for one night at the Hampton Inn near the cruise port.

To my surprise, this property was everything I expected a Hampton Inn to be: (1) reasonable price, (2) great location for grocery and restaurant, (3) free shuttle to/from hotel and the cruise port, (4) large and clean room for a family of four, (5) helpful staff and (6) decent breakfast. I HIGHLY RECOMMEND THIS PROPERTY IF YOU NEED AN OVERNIGHT STAY ENROUTE TO A CRUISE.

WORD OF CAUTION: (1) take an early shuttle if you are embarking on a cruise....otherwise, you will have to fight the crowd to get on the shuttle even with a reservation, (2) ditto on the free breakfast, (3) stay on the lower floors - the elevators are either slow and/or not working properly.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
5 Thank AverageJoe1
DavidBlevins, General Manager at Hampton Inn Fort Lauderdale Airport North Cruise Port, responded to this review, June 11, 2012
Dear AverageJoe1- WOW!!....what a great review of my property! I wanted to personally thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts about my hotel with other readers of Trip Advisor. More people book my hotel from these Fantastic reviews than just about any other venue. I am very happy that you enjoyed the value that we offered and spoke of the nice room, good breakfast and GREAT service! Thanks again for your high recommendation! ( you are no "AverageJoe" to me!!) I would love to personally welcome you back to my hotel on your next visit to SUNNY FLORIDA!

GM

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (199)
Suffolk, Virginia
Reviewed June 7, 2012

I booked a group of 76 travelers at this property for a pre-cruise stay on May 26, 2012.
The staff was outstanding in every way. Diane at the front was wonderful. It is an ideal hotel for either pre or post cruise. The free airport/cruise port shuttle service is a plus. Very prompt and friendly drivers. They offer parking for a fee much lower than at the port and will transfer to the port as well as pick up after the cruise. The location would not be ideal for an extended vacation but is ideal for our purpose. I will definately use this property again and have no quarms about suggesting it to other clients, family or friendsfor this purpose.

Room Tip: All the rooms allocated to my group were quiet and spacious. The comp continental breakfast was adaq...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
DavidBlevins, General Manager at Hampton Inn Fort Lauderdale Airport North Cruise Port, responded to this review, June 9, 2012
Hello there JLangston! I wanted to thank you so much for taking the time to write a nice review about my hotel! We always appreciate when our guests do Trip Advisor reviews. I am thrilled that you thought my staff was outstanding! Dianne, is one of our best employees....and always takes great care of our guests. She is a superstar! Sounds like you enjoyed our breakfast and our shuttle offerings. Thank you so much for your business and I would love to welcome you back to my hotel on your next visit to SUNNY FLORIDA!!

San Francisco, California
Reviewed June 6, 2012

We flew in the night before our cruise and stayed at the Hampton Inn, North
Cruise Port. When we arrived at the airport, we called the hotel for the airport
shuttle. The complimentary shuttle arrived within 10 minutes of our call and
can be identified by the pink flamingos on top of the roof.

Check in was painless and our room was as ready upon arrival. The hotel staff
was friendly and the complimentary morning breakfast was good. There was even
a waffle iron to make fresh waffles and fresh fruit. Coffee, tea, and hot chocolate
available 24 hours in the lobby.

Beds weren't the most comfortable and our room overlooked the parking lot. Luckily,
it was a quiet night. Bathrooms and room decor can probably use an update. That said, everything else was satisfactory. There's a small shopping center directly across the parking lot that has a grocery store, a dollar store and a couple of fast
food places...wendy's and subway among them. We were able to buy some last
minute items and extra bottled water for our cruise.

The hotel also provides complementary shuttle to the cruise port. Be sure to book
the shuttle when you check in, as it can get full.

We would stay here again. Nothing fancy, but priced right and amenities such
as shuttles and breakfast are value added.

Room Tip: Ask for a quiet room on higher floors away from the parking lot.
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
4 Thank rainbowmoon
DavidBlevins, General Manager at Hampton Inn Fort Lauderdale Airport North Cruise Port, responded to this review, June 7, 2012
Hello there Rainbowmoon! I wanted to personally thank you for taking the time to write a nice review about my hotel. We love hearing feedback from our wonderful guests. I am so happy that you enjoyed the service and mentioned the shuttle featuring our fabulous Flamingos and breakfast as being a nice plus! I am also thrilled that you said you would stay here again....that means the most to us! I would love to welcome you back to my hotel on your next trip to SUNNY FLORIDA!

Goodyear, Arizona
Reviewed June 6, 2012

We stayed at this hotel on a Sunday night before traveling to the port of Miami the next morning for a cruise. Arrived at the FLL airport late..11pm. Called the hotel from baggage claim and got instructions on where to meet the shuttle van driver. Within 15 minutes we were boarding the shuttle to the hotel. (on a side note..shuttle driver was quite unfriendly...barely said a word..not even a hi, how are you...if it wasn't for the flamingos and signage on the van, and me asking..I would not have known if we were on the right van or not) Arrived at the hotel..checked in quickly..front desk customer service was average..hotel was nice, clean, breakfast was very good. Had pastries, bagels, eng. muffins, toast, waffle maker, sausages, cheese omelettes , coffee, juices.
They had a small are to buy snacks, drinks..kind of a tiny convenience store, that was available 24 hours.
Just across the street is a strip mall. a few shops, liquor store, Wendy's and a Winn Dixie supermarket. Winn Dixie opened at 7am and we were able to stop in and get drinks, wine to take on the ship. They have a full alcohol section! (which we were happy to see!)
Would we stay here again...yes! (but I would hope for a happier shuttle driver!!)

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
4 Thank Azziekid
Greetings Azziekid! I wanted to thank you for taking the time to write a nice review about my hotel. We truly appreciate hearing from our guests! I am happy that you found the hotel to be nice, clean and appreciated our breakfast. It also appears that you found our location handy since we were right next door to a grocery store and liquor store. I do however, want to personally apologize about your experience with one of my drivers. "average service" is not what my hotel is known for. This will be addressed IMMEDIATELY! Thanks so much for letting me know. I would love to welcome you back to my hotel on your next visit to SUNNY FLORIDA and I promise you .....we will get it right!

Montreal
Reviewed June 3, 2012

Flying in the day before going on a cruise, I was looking for a place that included free shuttle service to/from the airport/pier, and free wifi. Learning about the Hampton Inn from other cruise reviews, it appeared to be the best choice...and it was!

We called the hotel from the airport and was told to call back as soon as we got our luggage. This is a good policy since our luggage actually came out last! When I called back I was told the shuttle would be there in 15 minutes...."look for the flamingos". The shuttle arrived in about 10 minutes and the flamingos on the roof of the van were very easy to spot. We were the only passengers, and the driver Arkem was extremely friendly. Chatting with me the entire drive, he told me that if we wanted to go out to eat or anywhere else in the area, he would be happy to take us.....nice way to start our trip. On arrival the front desk staff were also very friendly and we were quickly in our room. The room was clean and quite large. We had a king bed, a futon, a desk, two side tables, lcd tv, bar counter with a fridge and microwave. The bathroom was also large and had a modem shower which you were able to sit in.

On top of the free shuttle and wifi, breakfast was also included. There were eggs, cereal, yogurt, sausage, a waffle press and coffee.

This hotel is PERFECT for a one night stay before a cruise and as a frequent cruiser, I cannot see myself staying anywhere else.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank lor74
DavidBlevins, General Manager at Hampton Inn Fort Lauderdale Airport North Cruise Port, responded to this review, June 4, 2012
Hello there Lorno74, Thank you so much for taking the time to write such a nice review of my hotel! I am very happy that you found the room to be clean and large and that Arkim had taken great care of you on the shuttle. Arkim does a fabulous job of taking care of our guests! I also appreciate you saying "I cannot see myself staying anywhere else"!! Huge compliment! I would love to personally welcome you back to my hotel on your next visit to SUNNY FLORIDA!

Montreal, Canada
Reviewed June 1, 2012

Our group of 7 arrived 2 days prior to our cruise and we only wish we could have stayed longer! We flew in from Montreal and upon arrival we called the hotel for our shuttle. The shuttle arrived within 10 minutes (pink flamingoes on the roof) and the hotel is about 5 minutes away. The staff is friendly, courteous and extremely helpful! We are forever grateful to Dianne who took care of our tranportation issues. We were able to explore Ft. Lauderdale at our leisure knowing our driver was just a phone call away. The hotel is very clean and the breakfast is amazing! The hotel provides shuttle service (which is also complimentary) to the pier. Our last night there we wanted pizza delivered so we could eat around the pool. Dianne provided us with a menu and highly recommended the restaurant. I was on "hold" for a good 5 minutes when Dianne dialed the restaurant number on another phone and told them that a guest was waiting to place an order on the other line! My call was answered immediately and the order placed. I cannot tell you how impressed we were with the service! We will definitely stay there again when we visit Ft. Lauderdale.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank mommapedia
Greetings Canadian Friends! I wanted to thank you for taking the time to share your feedback on your last stay with us. We truly appreciate your business and love hearing from you! I am thrilled that you were impressed with the service and commented on how clean the hotel was. I am happy that Dianne took great care of you-she is a superstar! I hope to see your group with us next year and want to welcome you back to my hotel on your next visit to SUNNY FLORIDA!

Sunland
Reviewed May 28, 2012

We chose this place after reading such great reviews. I also noticed that the manager was paying attention to the reviews, which led me to believe that the hotel probably had great customer service because he is paying attention.

We flew in to Orlando from Los Angeles and spent a few days in Orlando prior to our cruise out of Fort Lauderdale. We took the Amtrak train down from Orlando and when we arrived in Fort Lauderdale station we called the hotel to see if their shuttle could pick us up from the train station. The girl at the front desk was a little hard to understand at first but she asked me which train station I was at. Since I'd never been to Fort Lauderdale before, I told her the Amtrak station. She said the shuttle only picked up from one of the stations... she said something else, but I couldn't quite understand what she said. Finally, she said the shuttle would be at the station in 20-25 minutes. We waited for 30 minutes and then called again - I was worried that perhaps we were at the station where the shuttle would not pick us up. We got a different person on the phone - but this time we heard loudly and clearly - the shuttle driver knew we were waiting and was en route from dropping people at the airport and we'd see the shuttle in about 5-10 minutes. Less than 10 minutes later - we saw the famous shuttle with the flamingoes. We were very tired, but very happy to see it!!!! Much better than paying for a cab!

The hotel is not super fancy - but it is very comfortable and very convenient. It has a nice lobby area and a pool (which we did not use). They have free coffee/tea service in the lobby and the area felt very safe to me. There were lots of other cruise passengers in the lobby chatting and laughing. Our room was on the 2nd floor overlooking the lobby. I was worried at first that the noise from the lobby would be disturbing but once we closed the (very heavy) door, the room was quiet. You gotta love hotels that know how to insulate!

The room was very clean and the shower was large. The bed had nice pillows and the mattress was just right.

We walked across the street to the strip mall shopping area - we had some last minute cruise items to pick up at the grocery store (Winn Dixie). On our way walking to the store, we first smelled and then saw a restaurant (84 Thai). We were planning on just grabbing a quick fast food dinner somewhere, but the Thai food smelled too enticing so we went there first. Boy what a find - we liked it so much we went back there for lunch the next day.

The hotel has a wide variety of complimentary breakfast items I think anyone would be happy with.

After we checked out we stowed our luggage with the hotel and went back to 84 Thai for lunch, since our shuttle reservation wasn't until 1:30. There had been a cancellation for a shuttle reservation for 11:30 which David Blevins the manager of the hotel offered to us, but we had our hearts set on eating at 84 Thai again, so we opted for 1:30 reservation. He gave us his recommendations for dishes he liked. (Thanks David!!!)

We'd definitely stay here again if we are ever in Fort Lauderdale. If you're looking for a straightforward, clean room before or after a cruise - we highly recommend this place. The convenience (free shuttles!), location to 84 Thai, and the great staff make it the place to stay in Fort Lauderdale!!! This was just a great value.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
4 Thank leighla319
DavidBlevins, General Manager at Hampton Inn Fort Lauderdale Airport North Cruise Port, responded to this review, May 29, 2012
Hello there Leighla319. Thank you so much for taking the time to write a nice review about my hotel. And YES....I do "pay attention" to all my reviews! (Any GM that does not....is FOOLISH!)
I am very happy that you enjoyed the service, thought the room was clean and large and that the bed was comfy! ( I love those beds so much I ordered one for myself!!) I am glad you enjoyed the Thai restaurant- the Chicken Pad Thai is to die for! My apologies for the wait at the train station- we do pick up from there, but it is the opposite direction from the airport and cruise port- so sometimes it does take us a little while to get there if we are busy with shuttle runs. It makes me very happy that you said you would come back- that is the biggest compliment you can give us! I would love to personally welcome you back to my hotel on your next visit to SUNNY FLORIDA!