“Comfortable stay”

Renaissance Fort Lauderdale Cruise Port Hotel
Ranked #36 of 132 Hotels in Fort Lauderdale
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed February 17, 2007

I love the location of this property. The rooms are nice, but could be a bit better. I always hate paying for parking, but they do offer self parking in an attached garage. We did not eat in the restaurant. The bar is small. Not really the type of place you'd stay for a large pool, or socializing. But it works as a central home base to enjoy Fort Lauderdale. You can catch the water taxi nearby.

• Stayed: September 2006, traveled as a couple
6  Thank pb013
Write a ReviewReviews (1,231)

Reviewed February 14, 2007

STAFF
Absolutely the best - polite, courteous and very responsive. I have called the front desk twice and they delivered things within 5 minutes (I forgot my dental floss and the hair dryer broke). The bell hops and valet service are worth every dollar, as they are prompt and friendly. The front desk is also nice without being snobbish.

ROOMS
Super clean & quiet despite being next to the Intercoastal highway entrance & the nice thing is that they offer 2 Queen size beds instead of 2 Full size beds. They are very comfortable, not too hard and not too soft, and the turn down service and cookies on the bed are a nice treat when you get in. Try to get a room facing the Intercoastal Highway side (East side) for some views. Decor is typical hotel decor, but as I'm not going to live there, I don't mind. This place has an antique/classic feel to it, where I'm more into modern design, but again, you're not there to buy a condo, as long as it's clean and well-maintained and the people make you feel at home, then you are perfectly fine. I can't speak for Internet connection, since we didn't get a chance to use the service.

AMENITIES
There's a hottub and large resort pool that were very nice. We only tried the hottub, and it was nice and warm on a cool night. It was very pleasant, but the traffic noise from the streets doesn't really help. The bar seemed to be very busy all nights we were there and the fitness room seemed well equipped.

LOCATION
Nice and convenient, walking distance to all the shops (golf shop, Office Depot, clothing, salon etc.), restaurants (seafood and Italian), cafes (Starbucks, French Bakery), and Walgreens drug store which is open 24 hours across the street. Also, if you drive within a one mile radius, you'll find all that you need - grocery store, shopping strips, Denny's, etc. The beachfront is just a 5-15 minute drive depending on which beach, where all the nightlife, restaurants, and beachlife are.

Stayed: February 2007
11  Thank MyleenAustin
Reviewed January 20, 2007

We stayed here 2 nights post-cruise in January 2007. We booked it via Hotwire for $111/night, when regular prices were over $300/night. Let me start by saying the pre-cruise we stayed at the Marriott Springhill Suites in Dania (because our friends and family were staying there, too) and the location of the Renaissance is 100 times better. It's on 17th street, which is a pretty major road. This means there are plenty of options nearby for eating, shopping, and transportation.

I highly recommend using the Sun Trolley, which runs Thursday through Sunday. The Convention Connection trolley goes right past the hotel on 17th Street. All you have to do is wave it down like a taxi. Fare is 50 cents per person per ride. You can take it to the beach, and if you want to go to Las Olas Blvd you can get off at the beach stop and get on the Las Olas trolley. We used it to get to the Science Museum (which we really enjoyed for $10/person and a fun afternoon). Since we didn't know our way around when we got on we told the drivers where we wanted to go and they took us there. They were all very nice and helpful.

The front desk workers at the Rennaisance were all super friendly and helpful. No complaints at all. I always felt welcomed by them and felt that they were genuinely happy to help me.

One funny thing... I went up to the front desk to request a late check-out. That was no problem, but I had to show my ID. The only ID I had on me was my employee ID from Brigham Young University. The lady helping me saw that and said, "Oh, do you know Mr. Marriott?" I thought she was kidding (I mean, does anyone normal like me know Mr. Marriott personally?), but she went on to say that Mr. Marriott was here at the Renaissance just two weeks ago. I was suprised and impressed. I asked her how often he drops by, and she said that he comes every year to Ft. Lauderdale to check up on things. She said he's very picky about the slightest stain in the carpet (which I must say, I didn't notice any of; the hotel seems in pretty good shape). I thought it was cool that Mr. Marriott himself checks up on the place. I think this is a hotel he can be proud of owning.

• Stayed: January 2007, traveled as a couple
10  Thank shanloraine
Reviewed January 8, 2007

We were fortunate to get the Renaissance Fort Lauderdale on Priceline at $89 pre and post-cruise in December 2006. Upon arrival at the hotel, we were warmly greeted. We checked in and were given a King room with port view. We would have preferred a higher floor to see a bit more of the ships, but when we got to the room we were pleased with its size and look. The room was comfortable having a chair and ottoman, a desk area with chair, an armoire that housed the TV, mini-bar, dresser drawers and safe. The bathroom was all in one room and was a good size with a large counter area. You could occasionally hear your neighbors but ours were not too noisy so we did okay. You can also hear the traffic as the hotel sits right on the 17th Causeway, but it wasn’t too bad. The second part of our stay, we had a corner room and it was larger. Ask for a corner room. It was great.

The pool area is not very big but has a nice design and very easy in and out expansive steps on two sides. There are numerous loungers with nice padding and white covers that the hotel cleans and replaces daily. The pool was a perfect heated temperature. There is a hot tub off of the pool area but is not very comfortable. We enjoyed some valuable pool time a couple of days and one day we ordered lunch from the bar area and it was delivered to us by the bartender/waiter poolside. The food was excellent. We tried the Cobb Salad and a hamburger with fries. The prices were not too bad either. We also tried the Bistro 17, in hotel restaurant, a couple of times for breakfast and it was quite good. Not great, but satisfactory. Prices were a bit high for breakfast and dinner.

Walgreens is across the 17th Causeway. For more shopping there is a nearby Publix and an awesome huge wine, beer, and liquor store called Total Wine. These are in the Harbor Shops. It is down the 17th Causeway to the light and turn left. It is probably about a three block walk and through a parking lot. We went shopping here for some items pre-cruise and brought our back pack along for carrying our things back from the stores. You’ve got to see the Total Wine store as I’ve never seen anything like it! The Costco of wine shops for sure!

Restaurants near the hotel are a little French bakery behind the hotel parking lot, Bimini Boatyard Bar and Grill in the same parking lot as the Renaissance and an Italian restaurant we tried and liked called Bravo Ristorante which is directly opposite the hotel. They serve a large salad shared by the table and some yummy garlic rolls before the meal. Another great find was the Marina NY Deli which is in a different shopping center behind the Bravo Ristorante. We went here only for breakfast a couple of days and we loved it both days. Just a little place but was very busy with the locals especially. We enjoyed the Canadian bacon and eggs breakfast for a mere $4.50 and they also have homemade Hash served with eggs. This was good too and was inexpensive. We cannot recommend this place enough! We also tried a nearby Italian restaurant called Giorgio’s “Fuhgetaboutit” Restaurant next to Einstein Bagels. It seemed to be a very authentic Italian place with numerous locals eating here. Another recommended place. We also tried Carlos and Pepe’s Mexican Restaurant on 17th across the street from the hotel and nearby to the Harbor Shops Mall. This Mexican restaurant was excellent as well.

The Renaissance is near the Water Taxi. You walk behind the hotel toward the Causeway bridge but stay on the road to the left and underneath the bridge. All the way down to the water in a straight shot and you’ll be there. It is next to the Fort Lauderdale Grand Hotel. For $10 you can ride the water taxi all day if you like and it has numerous stops. They have brochures showing the stops available right at the water taxi stops. You just pay when you get on and they give you a day pass ticket. Easy and fun. The captain will talk you up about the local yachts and homes. We took the water bus to Las Olas area getting off, I believe, at stop 9 and had lunch at a great spot called Café Europa. Another highly recommended place. Try the antipasto plate. You’ll hardly be able to eat a main course after eating this appetizer. It was huge. Las Olas was very pretty and had tons of shops and interesting things to look at. We kept walking up Las Olas to the Riverfront area where we went to see a movie at the AMC movie theater. Had a drink at Ugly Tuna Saloona. Fun place with glider tables overlooking the river. There is a water taxi stop there as well and we caught it back to the stop near the Renaissance.

For another means of transportation you could try the Sun Trolley which stops in front of the hotel and goes to Harbor Shops Mall if you don’t feel like walking. It runs every 15 minutes. Also, you can ride it to the Harbor Beach Mall where you can walk around enjoying the waterfront shops and the ocean. I believe the trolley is 50 cents per person per ride.

You cannot go wrong with the location of the Renaissance as it is the closest hotel to the Port area and close to many shopping areas. We found that walking was no problem. If you want to go to the beach, I suggest either the normal bus or the Sun Trolley (red trolley looking buses) which is part of the bus system. We enjoyed the Renaissance and one of my only complaints is that the chairs could use some new upholstery as they are showing some signs of normal wear and tear. If you can win this hotel on Priceline, you’ve made a good deal.

• Stayed: January 2007, traveled as a couple
12  Thank ricknmeme
Reviewed January 5, 2007

This hotel was recommended as a pre cruise hotel. I got a great bargain thru Hotwire on this hotel. Very pleasant staff, room was very comfortable. The location was great, we woke up early in the morning and walked to the bridge to watch the ships come in.

The room was clean and well supplied. There was plenty of room for our 6 pieces of luggage. The bed was very comfortable. Bathroom was typical for the class of hotel.

We did not dine in the restaurant or swim in the pool. We did however enjoy cocktails in the bar and met fellow cruisers who were sailing out the next day.

The hotel offers free internet in the lobby. There were 2 computers for use.

This hotel is within walking distance of many restaurants, drugstore, grocery store and liquor stores. Short ride to the airport and the cruise terminal. I would stay here again if I could find another great deal. $250+ a night is rather steep for our budget but priced accordingly to the area.

• Stayed: October 2006, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Broker_1
Reviewed January 5, 2007

Upon entering the hotel, my first impression was, "What carpeting!" It's obvious it supposed to represent what someone thinks a Florida hotel carpet should look like. It was awful and permeates the hotel. As I checked in, there was nervous energy in the place as one cruise ship crowd after another hovered throughout the hotel. The hallways were noisy, and housekeeping started cleaning early in the morning, despite the late night crowds keeping us up. While the hotel is located on SE 17th Street, not far from A1A, the $15 extra parking fee per night seemed high for the area. There were also only two computers in the "business center" (set up in the lobby) which were always occupied. I don't think I would stay here again as the rooms didn't always seem that well-cleaned, and the entire place was dated.

• Stayed: December 2006, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Throbbert
Reviewed December 30, 2006

Hotel is nicely located near many conveniences like Starbucks, Ensteins Bagels, Sub Shop, and Liquor and Grocery a short walk. Staff is efficient in all areas from Desk to Housekeeping and friendly and helpful. Bartender stayed late to accomodate our party! Doorman and Bellstaff quick and efficient. Front Desk staff and Housekeeping do their jobs well. Only drawbacks are it is paid parking at !5-20 per day common in the error..think self parking should be less and internet costs for high speed are dated as in most locations it is complimentary!

• Stayed: December 2006