“Great Pre-Cruise Location”

GreenLeadersBronze level
Cincinnati
“Great Pre-Cruise Location”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 23, 2010

We stayed here one night pre cruise and were very happy with hotel and location. Not far from the beach, only about a mile or so. There were all kind of shops on the street to pick up last minute stuff for our cruise (i.e. Walgreens right across the street and also CVS up the street but not in walking distance). The hotel was very clean and the staff was outstanding with anything that we needed. They had on-site parking but it was a fee for that we took the Valet for $20 or $25 and everytime we wanted the car they had it ready for us. Also they didn't have any transportation from the airport but we had a rental car anyway. Easy location from the airport.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank CincinnatiElmoe663

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (212)
Vancouver
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 3, 2010

We stayed here the night before our cruise, booked thru one of those online make your own bid sites.

Check in was a breeze and very helpful. Room was a little small but suited our needs. The bed was a dream and very much needed after a long day of travel from Seattle. The bathrooms have been renovated but still more is needed, it is showing it's age.

Noise from the hallways can be heard very easily from your room.

Location is very good, Wallgreens is right across the street, Starbucks close by as well as a Publix and total Wine store.

We didn't eat here, we enjoyed a deli for breakfast that was just two blocks away and much cheaper.

We chose to take a taxi to the pier, cost was $12 and we were at the furthest away terminal. The offer a shuttle to the pier at $5 pp.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled as a couple
New York City, New York
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 26, 2010

My son (aged 22) and I stayed two nights at the Renaissance Hotel in FLL prior to our Oasis of the Seas cruise. We initially had a one night stay booked through a name your own price site, ($119 total w/ taxes); at the last minute we heard there would be snow in our area so we booked another night through another site (at an employee rate) no where near as good as the first rate. I'll leave it at that.

There was no problem checking in early on Thursday, nor was there a problem with combining the two reservations so that we didn't have to move rooms. I should mention that both reservations were prepaid; they did ask for my credit card for incidentals, and ended up having me come down again to give it to charge us for the daily internet charge. My opinion is in 2010 wifi access should simply be "free". Enough of the charging for this.

We headed up to the room with the help of a bellman. After checking out the room for maybe five minutes, we headed straight back to ask for another. This room reeked of hotel carpet deodorizer; it was overwhelming. You will smell this carpet deodorizer throughout the hallways as well, although not as strong! For those of you who like fresh air, the windows in this hotel do not open.

The next room we were given was fine. The room --on the fifth floor -- had two queen beds, desk, minibar, full bath, flat screen TV and was in very good condition.

We did not eat lunch or dinner at this hotel. We did, however, eat breakfast here on Saturday morning in their "BUFFET". Do not be tempted to buy the buffet -- we really did know better from a previous visit but it was POURING RAIN outside -- it is horrible. It is $16.99 per person, and not worth the money at all. Yes, they tell you that they will make you fresh eggs, which I ordered. They were ok. Big deal. The pickings are slim, the bread/roll/toast products were cold and hard. For $16.99pp it should be perfect and it isn't.

Walk exactly 1 1/2 blocks to the West and eat at Einstein's Bagel. You'll also pass a Starbucks if you are so inclined.

We did sit by the pool for an hour. It is very close to the main road and very noisy. BUT, there are lots of palm trees and the lounges are comfy. It did look to me like the pool could use a cleaning. My son made use of the Fitness Center, he said one of the ellipiticals was broken. There is a purified water cooler in the gym if anyone needs to know.

We would book the Renaissance again because of its proximity to the port, the causeway to look at the ships, and because of the variety of food options you can walk too. Also cannot beat the fact that the free trolley stops right across the street on fri, sat & sun and there is a 24-hour Walgreens across the street. They have a shuttle to pier ($5 per person), we took a cab ($12).

• Stayed January 2010
1 Thank up4travel
movedmainer
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 25, 2010

Great Hotel -- Close to everything..... close to water taxi, and several places to eat. Booked room on Priceline -- got 7 rooms for $90 each

• Stayed January 2010, traveled as a couple
Greve in Chianti, Italy
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 3, 2009

Arrived later in evening, found the front desk staff to be very poorly trained and very poor at their jobs. I travel a lot each month and I can say, without hesitation, their front desk staff is one of the worse I have ever experienced.
Not helpful in any way. True, I could've encountered just 2 gals having a bad night but it's not like I'm there every night. This was my first time and my first impression. There performance, or lack thereof, will forever stay in my mind.
Customer service is lacking big-time at this place.
The rooms, are just fancy looking Motel 6 rooms. Normal rooms with a fancy bed and bedding. Nothing about this place stood out at all. NOTHING.
We went to the bar after putting our stuff in our room for a drink and to watch the football game and they charged us $23.50 for 2 rum and cokes. $23.50?????????? Did they just fly the rum in that day first class?

If this was a swankier hotel I could see it but, it was just a Renaissance.

I filled out a comment card and was polite but stern in my notes about the place. Just like here, I will be polite and not say what I truly would like to say about the place.

Would I stay here again? Not even if the room was free.

Too many better places nearby that cost far less. Embassy Suites is one that comes to mind.

After this experience, I'll rethink any stay with any Renaissance.

Just left a sour taste in my mouth.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled as a couple
4 Thank terkel
San Francisco, CA USA
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 30, 2009

There's nothing really special about this hotel. It's in a perfect location if you're about to go on a cruise and need to spend one night after arriving from the airport via taxi, but otherwise you'd do better elsewhere. It's not close enough to either the beach or downtown to walk and having a car just got expensive.

When I checked in, they announced that the parking rate had just been jacked up to $20/night and just $25/night if you wanted valet service. The per day internet charge is $15 which is fine if your business is paying, but a little steep if you just want to check email quickly. I just used my phone instead. The french bakery next door has free internet access, but their prices on baked goods was on the high end ($4.50 for an average chocolate croissant). Gotta pay for that free internet one way or the other.

The room was large enough to move around. The TVs were flat panel but they hadn't bothered to upgrade the TV tuners, so the picture was horrible and stretched. No point upgrading the TV if you don't upgrade the tuner too. Sheets: nice. Bed: just ok. Safe: big enough for a 15" (and maybe larger) laptop.

If you have hair, you may have trouble getting the nice Aveda shampoo washed out of it. I did. I've come across low flow shower heads before, but they outdid themselves here.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled solo
Pittsburgh
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 18, 2009

We stayed here one night pre cruise and were very happy with hotel and location. Nice room with King size bed. We had a leak in sink pipe which was quickly taken care of. Very clean and they had internet computers near check in. Great location as could walk to several resturants as well as coffee places in the morning. Total wine was close for last minute provisions and a Walgreen across the street. Just drove across the causeway to get the the beach area. Parking was, I think, an additional $ 15 per night in garage which was easy and close walk away. About 5 minutes to cruise port..

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple