“Beautiful high-end experience”

Renaissance Fort Lauderdale Cruise Port Hotel
Ranked #36 of 132 Hotels in Fort Lauderdale
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed August 30, 2014

I stay at this hotel at least twice per month for two to four days each visit. It is a fantastic hotel, great service and more than hospitable staff. They are always ready and offering to assist with any need.

The breakfast in the restaurant is fantastic. The staff remembers me and calls me by name, making me feel welcome every time.

The location is great - an easy drive from I-95 and a offers a great walk or run across the bridge to the beach. While the food at the restaurant is very good, there are fantastic restaurants of all levels right around this hotel, as well as just down the street.

I can stay where ever I desire when I travel, and when I must be in Ft Lauderdale or Miami, I chose to stay at the Renaissance Fort Lauderdale Cruise Port Hotel every time.

Thanks for the warm welcome and great environment!
Rick

• Stayed: August 2014, traveled on business
Write a ReviewReviews (1,231)

Reviewed August 30, 2014

I hosted my cruise wedding block here and everything was fantastic. I know that they were going through some renovations and I was able to request that my guests be put into those rooms. The hotel was great at accommodating that request. The rooms were beautiful. The service was excellent. My guests kept on commenting on how they thought that the hotel was fantastic and the service was great. The guys liked the fact that they could sit in a shaded seating area by the pool, drink beer and catch up on old times. We liked the fact (the ladies) that we could sit in the restaurant, eat some nibbles, drink wine and catch up. I liked that it is in close proximity to everything you would need (a lot of things being in walking distance.)

This would be an excellent choice for a pre or post cruise stay.

Room Tip: I don't know what the non renovated rooms look like, but it wouldn't hurt to ask for a renov...
  • Stayed: August 2014, traveled with family
Reviewed August 29, 2014

I just returned from a four day training session for the Census Bureau. The room was great, the service was good... My stay was completely paid for by the Census Bureau. When I checked in I was asked for my credit card - they needed a copy for incidentals. (I wouldn't have any). When I checked out they tried to charge me for parking - twice - the special rate and the regular rate for a total of $212. They did get that straightened out and the charge was taken off. When I got home I discovered they had put 2 holds on my card - $250 and $56 - which caused several checks to bounce and I was charged a lot by my credit union. I was never told they intended to put a hold on my card and I feel like I have been deceived by them. I would recommend this hotel, but beware!

Room Tip: Rooms are being renovated. The new ones are delightful.
Reviewed August 29, 2014

OK, so the title may not exactly coincide with my rating, or the fact that I will and plan to stay here again. I need to explain.

I have stayed here several times. I will stay here again, and am scheduled to do so. I like this property. This year, they have been undergoing renovations and I was placed in a room that was recently completed. Ergo the title.

Upon entering the hotel, not much had changed. The restaurant was closed and meals were being served in the lounge area. The lounge is somewhat small, but it is comfortable. I did not eat there, but some others were and seemed to be ok with the meals.

Check in was easy and the staff was friendly. I am a little surprised by another comment concerning disappointing service. Again, they were very friendly and accommodating. I also took advantage of the concierge lounge, and staff there was again very friendly and helpful.

I was excited to get to my room on the newly remodeled floor, so I head to the elevator. (Yes, I said excited - as a frequent business traveler its the little things that get me excited any more!) However, when I stepped off the elevator the smell of fresh paint and chemicals was almost over powering. What was obvious was that they changed the carpet and the paint, now blue-grey-white in tones as opposed to what I fondly referred to as "Marriott Gaudy Red". It honestly did seem to be a little more "calming" as I walked to my room at the end of the hall.

On my way, I did notice the noise of the ice maker which was not replaced. I was glad I was not roomed nearby. I put the key in the lock and found the door to stick significantly. Not a paint stick - the stick of what seems to be a misaligned door. Upon entering the room the color scheme followed, and at first seemed fairly pleasant. Again, new carpet, paint and bedding, and the bathroom had been made over as well. The bedding was not as thick or luxurious as a JW Marriott's, but was very pleasant none the less. The rest of the room seemed pretty much the same. If the furniture was replaced you could have fooled me.

What was not there, was a refrigerator. Same small safe and coffee maker. All in all, a somewhat plain makeover.

The concierge lounge offered beverages, but the food offerings in the morning and evening were scant in selection. I realize that this is meant as a place where you can stop to grab a snack, but I guess the chain has spoiled me with its prior offerings that could actually be made into well balanced meals for travelers. I suspect it has more to do with the amount wasted in the past due to excessive offerings at locations such as this which are primarily non-business.

I also took advantage of the gym while there. That was probably the most disappointing aspect. The machines need to be replaced, and the universal machine was missing some equipment. They did do well to maximize the very small space it is located in, but it was not what I had expected.

All in all, the place changed little for all of the fuss. I know that things are ongoing and the freshening up are appreciated, but I believe that if you are going to remodel then do it. Make real changes.

I do like this property and the staff. Yes, parking is at least a $25 add on, which is why the booking fee was under $100 for my stay. I can't argue but others might not expect this. I will welcome the opening of the restaurant, which may garner a higher rating for this property.

Room Tip: Stay away from the ice machine locations as the machines are exposed to the hallway and are somewhat...
  • Stayed: August 2014, traveled on business
Lori L, General Manager at Renaissance Fort Lauderdale Cruise Port Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded September 2, 2014

Thank you for staying with us recently during your time in Fort Lauderdale. I do appreciate your comments regarding our newly renovated rooms – we are very excited about the new look and hope you continue to enjoy it. We are also in the midst of a renovation of our fitness center – this includes all new equipment! On your next visit, you should see some very nice improvements which will certainly ensure a good work out!

We appreciate your loyalty to Renaissance and to our hotel, in particular. I look forward to meeting you in person on your next trip.

Regards,

Reviewed August 27, 2014

There is nothing wrong with this hotel whatsoever, but we were taken for a ride and taken advantage off by the valet guy Sam. We asked him to call us a cab to go to the beach and a few minutes later, a van from "Quick and Safe" arrived. We wanted a cab, but Sam told us not to worry - this is our cab company that the hotel always uses and they charge the same as a regular cab. We took the van and made the 2 miles drive to the beach - $23 for this mini trip which cost you about $10 with a regulated and licensed cab. We were locked up in this van, were denied a receipt on our request and were lied at when we asked for the drivers name.
Later at night when we got back to the hotel and complaint to the hotel manager Michael - he was very understanding and told us, that this is an ongoing problem and that they still havent found a solution. I have a suggestion for the Marriot Management: fire him. If the Marriot allows their employee(s) to cheat on their guest, then there is something very wrong in this picture.
The manager gave us two breakfast vouchers as apology and to make up for the extra money that we paid, but we didnt use it the next morning.
To be fair to the employees that have integrety and work for the well being of their guests.you guys did a great job and i would normally come back to your hotel....

• Stayed: August 2014, traveled with friends
1  Thank Ingo S
Lori L, General Manager at Renaissance Fort Lauderdale Cruise Port Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded September 8, 2014

Thank you for your feedback regarding the transportation issue you encountered. The hotel uses numerous car/taxi services for our guests, normally without incident. I will follow up with the owner of this service as well as my team so this does not take place in the future as I agree it is unacceptable. I am glad that our staff were able to attempt to redeem ourselves by looking after you for the rest of your stay.

We appreciate your patronage and would hope that you consider staying with us upon future trips to Fort Lauderdale.

Regards,

Reviewed August 24, 2014

My visit to the Renaissance was in conjunction with a cruise in August of 2014. The check in process was smooth. The clerk was personable and helpful. Because of delays at the Atlanta airport we arrived late. The restaurant was closed earlier than advertised on their signage so we had to find a meal and drinks elsewhere. The nearby Bimini Boatyard Bar & Grill. http://www.biminiboatyard.com/index.cfm These folks are all about service.
The room at the Renaissance was clean, and comfortable. No refrigerator. If you want wifi, be prepared to pony up for it to the tune of $12/day. Most of your lower tier hotels do free wifi. Marriot properties in other locals do free wifi. This place needs to up their game. The room coffee service was stocked with one caffeinated packet and one decaf. I asked room service for additional packets and was denied. Really, what are they thinking? I have stayed at other Marriot properties and this is not an issue. Fortunately there is a Starbucks and Einstein Bagel shop nearby. We tried to get served at the restaurant. No luck. When asked to be seated the person at the door disappeared and did not return for the ten minutes we waited. Not sure when they returned because we left. Renaissance lost out to Einstein Bagels. We enjoyed the pool and spa area. It is a nice setting and very clean. A note to those taking a cruise. The folks selling shuttle passes in the lobby in the AM are very helpful. You can arrive early to board the ship and the shuttle folks are very knowledgeable about how to get you there and back after your cruise.
Overall I was disappointed in this Renaissance. There are many hotels near the cruise port to chose from. I will not chose this one again. You experience may be different. I can only hope that is the case.

• Stayed: August 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Forest H
Lori L, General Manager at Renaissance Fort Lauderdale Cruise Port Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded August 28, 2014

Thank you for staying with us prior to your cruise a few weeks ago. I do apologize for the problems you experienced during your stay with us. With regards to the internet service, there is complimentary Wi-Fi in the lobby and public spaces for your use but the Renaissance Brand does charge a nominal fee for this service in all guest rooms which is priced competitively against other similar hotels in the area. I am sorry that you were not able to enjoy our fine restaurant due to some service issues – these will be immediately addressed so this does not occur in the future.

The hotel is in the middle of a very exciting renovation including guest rooms, fitness center, internet upgrade and pool area. We hope that if your travels bring you back to the area, you will give us another try. We’d love to win back your business!

All the best,

Reviewed August 22, 2014

I wish I had the opportunity to have stayed for more than one night. The room was without fault. The view was peaceful. There were plenty of Wanna-Be's and Carpetbagger guests, but once I was in my room, peace and tranquility comforted my soul and brought with them a wonderful stay at a place that was more than I expected. I am just a humble Southern boy who thoroughly enjoyed the Renaissance Fort Lauderdale Cruise Port Hotel.

Room Tip: Ask for room 1124, walk out to the balcony and enjoy a wonderful night of peace by the water. The r...