“Just wonderful!”

Renaissance Fort Lauderdale Cruise Port Hotel
Ranked #32 of 127 Hotels in Fort Lauderdale
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed September 17, 2013

I am at my last night here before heading to Miami for the next three days before heading back home. For some reason, I think the rain for this season waited until I arrived and literally from the time of check-in and in less than 12 hrs will be check-out, it has rained basically non-stop.

Normally I would be agitated but the friendliness of the staff and the comfortable room more than made up for the weather! First, because there was availability, I was upgraded to a larger room and the nice chaise lounge proved to be a great place to sit and read while waiting out the rain between walks. I had two separate reservations and today I got the final bill under my door. Realizing that the second reservation was probably forgotten about on check-in, I went to the front desk and literally within minutes a second set of key cards was handed to me to cover the day. Also, everyone at the front desk addressed me by name and this little personal touch made such a difference. It was so easy to see that this hotel has customer service in mind based on how eager all employees, from the front desk, to managers and the bell staff were so polite and always smiling. Perhaps I can take a lesson or two from them for my job (grin).

The room was just amazing. I have tons of space in a non-smoking hotel and it was so clean. Too, the bathrooms are being upgraded as mine was. I took a nice long bath in the tub and I swear I could have fit three more people in there---so nice.

Each morning by the elevator there is coffee set up, orange water during the day and each evening at 7pm cookies are available at the front desk.

Though wireless comes with a charge, the difference between this hotel and others that I had stayed at is that I had options: I could either buy 24 hrs or 4 hrs. The 4 hr segments each day worked for me as I was able to use my laptop each morning at a coffee shop when I had brekkie and utilized the free wireless that way then at night would buy the 4 hr plan.

There is absolutely nothing at all that I can say about this hotel that is negative and surely if my travels bring me to FLL again, this would be the first place that I would check for availability.

Room Tip: Though only 12 floors try to get a room 7 and above.
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled solo
2  Thank TorontoRobDT

Reviewed September 14, 2013

We stayed here overnight after disembarking a cruise in Miami. It was clean and very comfortable. The room has enough lighting and amazing room space overall. The bathroom was spotless. In addition the staff was very kind from check-in to housekeeping. The hotel also recently renovated its entire place so there is this new stuff feeling. Also the hotel is near Fort Lauderdale Beach, a 5 minute drive away. If you need any more sunscreen or daily amenities that you forgot, a Walgreens is a 1-2 minute walk away. There is also a great amount of choices of food to choose from near the hotel.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed September 10, 2013

I booked this hotel through Expedia’s Unpublished Rate Hotel and as soon as the transaction had gone through, I looked up this hotel’s reviews. I was a little worried at some of the negative reviews, but once we arrived, I realized there was absolutely nothing to worry about. Our entire experience at the hotel from beginning to end was fantastic.

We were greeted by the friendly and professional front desk staff, who were very patient with all my usual touristy questions (such as how to get to Port Everglades and Las Olas Blvd). The hotel is in a great location and conveniently on 17th Street which makes it a quick trip to get to the cruise port. There is a Walgreens open 24/7 across the street. The hotel is close to the Water Taxi and Sun Trolley stops. (Note that the Water Taxi takes a really long time to get to Las Olas and other places because it is more of a sightseeing experience with the driver taking his time driving and explaining the sights.) Because of this, we took a cab to Las Olas for dinner instead; the cab fare one way was $12 including tip. There is also a strip mall and shopping mall nearby.

The room was clean and spacious. We were lucky to get a corner room, overlooking Port Everglades. The room had recently been renovated and included nice features such as outlet plugs located on the top and front of night stands and desks (as opposed to in the wall hidden behind a dresser.) The bed was extremely comfortable and I had a great night’s sleep. The bathroom had Aveda products and Aquafresh toothpaste made especially for the hotel. This was a nice touch because then I didn’t have to go buy shampoo and conditioner for our cruise. The shower had good water pressure and plenty of hot water. My only minor gripe was that the built in tub stopper wouldn’t stay open so I had to shove something in it to keep the water draining/flowing. I loved the black out curtains as I cannot sleep with any light in the room.

This is a great hotel for any pre-cruise stay. They have a $6 per person direct shuttle that takes you to the cruise port. Look for the table set up near the lobby where you can book your shuttle time. If you were to take a cab to the port, it is a minimum $10 charge and the meter keeps rolling afterwards. After taking the shuttle and seeing how much of a wait it could be at the port (before you get through the gate to inside the port, security asks for ID and checks each vehicle; it could take a while depending on how many ships were at port that day), I'm glad we went with the shuttle.

7  Thank Esther K
Reviewed September 8, 2013

Stayed here overnight before departing on a cruise aboard the Allure. Clean, comfortable very nice staff. Within walking distance of many restaurants. Would definitely stay here again. They ofer shuttle service to the port every half hour for a $6 fee per person or it's a $15 cab fare.

1  Thank kadanjoe
Reviewed September 5, 2013

Came late on a Thursday evening to teach a seminar at the hotel the next day. Staff was polite and thorough on my reservation and my meeting room setup. Staff helped access my meeting room the night before so I could review the setup. Room was setup great. On Friday during my meeting staff was attentive to my guests needs. When done staff was there to assist me in my final wrap up.

Room Tip: Get an ocean view.
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed September 4, 2013

My family and I like to stay at a hotel near the pier we are to depart from when cruising out of our state. The Renaissance was chosen by a good friend of mine. Myself and 4 other friends, (3 rooms in all), were very pleased with the hotel. The hotel is neat and clean, it was designed nicely and the rooms are comfortable. I appreciated the complimentary cookies, those cookies were great. The Staff was kind and helpful. We also appreciated being able to make arrangement for transportation to and from the cruise port and to the airport when departing from Fort Lauderdale. We also like that there are many stores and eateries in the neighborhood. We learned of a trolly but unfortunately time didn't permit us to take advantage of the .50 ride. There's lots of extra while life surrounding the area so please be prepared. I'm talking about the Bahamian Curly Tailed Lizard. They are fast but plenty of them around. Great hotel to stay in, I highly recommend the hotel for so many different reasons.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank melanielsr
Reviewed September 3, 2013

First, I have to say that the front desk people are helpful and very accommodating.......

After that.....it goes down hill since our last visit.

Check in was easy and uneventful. We did not get the room or beds we requested but we dealt with it......

The door to the air conditioner fell off in the middle of the night which scared me!!!! the noise was so loud it made us jump:(

We went to the pool area and noticied ALOT of ants, so we told the front desk about about it. She advised us she would contact someone about it. We waited but no one came to spray for the ants. The ants were everywhere! We needed to sit under the cabanas for the shade, so we went to Walgreens to buy our own ant spray......The ants were crawling on everything...chairs, shoes, towels, pool bags...you name it, they were crawling on it.....

We were especially bothered by a bartenders attitude in the lounge area towards us...He definitely needs some Marriott hospitality training.

After check in, we poured ourselves a drink, sat in the room for awhile and decided to go into the lobby area for awhile before dinner since there are no balconies to sit on.

We sat in the bar area in an attempt to watch tv, order appetizers and a couple drinks prior to dinner.( We were there for maybe a minute or so)

We were aggressively greeted by a male bartender who informed us that we could not bring drinks into the bar area. Now, he never asked us if we wanted another drink, he never offered us a menu to order the appetizers we planned on......He just asked us to leave. I took a picture...The bar and lounge were EMPTY...... What was the problem? He never even asked us if we wanted to order something...We had planned on a couple drinks, a couple appetizers before dinner.....But because of that conflict, we chose to go somewhere else for drinks , appetizers and dinner!!!!

So, we asked if the lounge was private and why if we were hotel paying guests, why weren't we allowed into the lounge area to watch the televisions? We pay for a hotel stay but we are not allowed in certain areas?

We came back again because our 1st visit was good......

BUT, we will not be back again until management steps in and changes some of these issues......

1  Thank MomWifeGrammie
Lori L, General Manager at Renaissance Fort Lauderdale Cruise Port Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded September 16, 2013

Thank you for your feedback regarding your recent stay with us at our hotel. I am sorry that your experience was less than positive. We have addressed the issue of the ants around the pool and appreciated you bringing that to our attention. You should not have had to go to Walgreen's and I certainly apologize for that. In addition, I have provided your feedback regarding your less than positive experience with one of our bartender's. It is true that no outside alcohol is permitted in the bar (a licensing/safety issue) but he obviously could have addressed this issue in a different manner.

I would appreciate the opportunity to have you back as my personal guests. Please let me know if your travels plans bring you back to Fort Lauderdale in the future.

Again, we do appreciate your feedback as it enable us to address both positive and negative experiences.

Regards,