“Overnight at Renaissance Cruise Port”

Renaissance Fort Lauderdale Cruise Port Hotel
Ranked #31 of 128 Hotels in Fort Lauderdale
GreenLeadersBronze level
Boca Raton
“Overnight at Renaissance Cruise Port”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 13, 2013

Purchased a groupon for a night stay, free parking and $25 credit for food in the restaurant. Early check in was available and the front desk was very courteous. Room was clean and we were upgraded due to a celebration so enjoyed seeing a couple of ships in port. We were told there was going to be construction as they were renovating some of the floors and were offered a room further away but chose the view instead. Turns out we hardly heard any noise at all the next morning. We were able to use the food voucher the next day for lunch out at the pool which was enjoyable. The pool was relaxing and the weather was great. They also granted a late check-out so we were able to take our time packing up. All service provided was great. Being just a half hour from home felt like a mini vacation. It is also a $10 cab ride down to the Bahia Mar area/Ft. Lauderdale beach area. There are also restaurants within walking distance as well as Walgreens across the street. There is a regular fee to park in the garage ($20-$25 per day depending on valet or self-parking in their garage).

Room Tip: pick a high floor facing east so you can see ships if they are in port
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank soflacruiser

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (211)
Mountain House, California, United States
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 10, 2013

Please do not stay here. It was the worst experience I have ever had. My friends and I stayed here prior to our cruise vacation. We thought a little time in Fort Lauderdale would be a great way to start vacation. First off the lobby is very impressive and deceiving because past the lobby the halls and rooms do not feel or look of the same level of luxury. The bathroom had mold on the tile behind the toilet. The items on the counter top appeared to have been just put on the counter and there was even a day when the fresh towels was left on the back of the toilet.

Additionally, on the day before the cruise, we left the room for a couple of hours, after being asked twice by housekeeping if we were leaving the room. When we returned we noticed that the beds had been made but nothing else was done (she even left condensation from a pitcher of water on the glass on top of the desk). Then we noticed our things just didn't look right. I went to grab something out of my suitcase and noticed my jewelry pouch was out. When I opened it imagine my shock that all of the jewelry had been stolen and two rows of the jewelry bag with my costume jewelry were emptied out. I immediately called down to the front desk for management. It took him about 30 minutes to come up. He did not seem shocked or outraged by my claim. He then asked if we had anyone else in our room and we stated "no" and that we had not lost any of the room keys. I insisted on the police being called.

When the police arrived, they informed us that the manager, who is actually the "Director of Style" (supervisor for housekeeping) stated that housekeeping said that there was a "large, muscular gentleman in the room" when she went in to clean. That would explain why when he came to take the report he asked if we had a man in our room. They ran a report and the only keys entering were for the registrant (myself) & housekeeping (I am feeling a possible conspiracy).

I am awaiting a call from the insurance company to file a claim. I had to have the Director of Style rewrite the report because it was wrong and to add insult to injury after having about $2,000 in jewelry stolen he offered $25.00 off our bill in the restaurant on-site.

Generally, I am very loyal, but I will never stay here again.

Stay at your own risk.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
4 Thank MzTraci M
Lori L, General Manager at Renaissance Fort Lauderdale Cruise Port Hotel, responded to this review, July 26, 2013
Thank you for sharing your experience regarding your recent stay with us. My name is Lori Lynn and I am the new General Manager of the Renaissance Fort Lauderdale. Please note that we take circumstances such as yours very seriously and I would welcome the opportunity to discuss the situation with you further.

My sincerest apologies that your stay was less than satisfactory and I do hope that you give us another chance to prove what a great hotel and team of people we have at the Renaissance Fort Lauderdale.

You may contact me directly at 954-626-1702.

Lori
Louisville, Kentucky
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 8, 2013

My colleague and I stayed here during a business trip. When we first walked in our room, it wasn't quite the "clean" we were accustomed to experiencing. We called the front desk, and the manager moved us to another room. He was apologetic and very nice. He even helped us move our luggage and gave comps. We just wanted a clean room, so this was an unexpected and very nice gesture. It rained terribly the entire time we were there with some flash flooding, so the hotel had a damp, musky odor that went away with the a/c turned on. It seemed to be an ordeal to get fresh towels and wash clothes. Our second room was acceptable, and we didn't have any additional troubles. The hotel is a little dated in general, but not bad for the price. The bartender in the lounge was very friendly and provided excellent service. The breakfast wasn't spectacular, but it was filling. There are restaurants within walking distance, as well as a Walgreens across the street. The VIP lounge was a great touch and the attendants there were spectacular! All in all, what could have turned out to be a bad experience was saved by the great service we received.

Room Tip: Choose an upper level room for access to the VIP Lounge!
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank CrystalH98
New York City, New York
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 8, 2013

Stayed here one night pre-cruise. For access to Port Everglades, this hotel cant be beat. Very convenient, and only a few bucks and quick cab ride. But, that's where the positives end. The rooms are on the small size and the bathrooms have a roadside motel feel to them --not terribly modern but wornout. Asked for extra towels -- they never came. Asked again for extra towels, and again they never came. The pool was just okay. Its right on the side of a very busy road, and even though its covered by landscaping, the traffic is loud and not very relaxing. I know there's not much the hotel can do about that, but the pictures are dont tell the story. Didnt eat at the restuarant as there are many options close by. I did want to take advantage of the free coffee in the lobby, but it was taken away by 9:30am on Saturday. Why bother! If you can get a really cheap rate (or free with points) and are going on a cruise and literally just need a place to sleep, then this is okay. Otherwise there are better options.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank aremk
san francisco
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 5, 2013

There was nothing particularly wrong with the hotel but it definitely could be better. The location is easy to get to. The room was great. Had a nice corner room and was freshly remodeled and very comfortable. It was the little things that just ruined the experience. We checked in late afternoon and went out to the pool and there was no where to sit. The chairs were all scrambled everywhere, dirty towels and empty cups left all over. No clean towels, so I had to call to have some brought. There were tons of kids splashing you in the pool so it wasn't very relaxing. Parking is 25 a night for self parking which is highway robbery. The staff just didn't seem very attentive at all. Free coffee in the lobby but they pull it at 9:30am!!

So while its a nice hotel its just not a four star hotel experience. It was fine for the price but I wouldn't run back there. There are better hotels nearby for the same price range.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
North Attleboro, Massachusetts
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 5, 2013

We stayed here on points the night before an AM flight. Location was fine for the Airport, under 10 minutes. That, and the decent pool were the only positives about this place. Parking is obscene, 25 to self park and 30 to valet...Once we checked in the first room we were given smelled of thick smoke and we had to be moved. The next room we were given did not have a functioning TV...We called the front desk, first we were given an excuse that it was a whole hotel service outage, we called to check back later, they finally sent someone to our room over 2 hours after our original complaint and told us we'd have to move again if we wanted TV - with 2 kids under 3 that wasn't happening....Concierge Lounge was under renovation so they give you a coupon for an appetizer and a breakfast buffet the next morning, both of which were very much sub-par...To top it all off, my wife found a used tissue had been made into one of the beds...I had debated staying elsewhere when I made the reservation, and am disappointed I did not. We stayed for free, so I guess we got what we paid for, but I would never go back here again.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Lori L, General Manager at Renaissance Fort Lauderdale Cruise Port Hotel, responded to this review, July 30, 2013
Thank you for sharing your experience regarding your recent stay with us. My name is Lori Lynn and I am the new General Manager of the Renaissance Fort Lauderdale. I am very sorry for your experiences a few weeks ago and certainly understand your frustration.

I have addressed your concerns with all of my team and can assure you they will be handled appropriately.

Since your stay was less than satisfactory, please contact me directly so that we may credit your account for the points used.

You can reach me at 954-626-1702.

Again, my apologies and I look forward to hearing from you.

Lori
St. Petersburg, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 26, 2013

Stayed here for only one night on a trip, previously stayed here when I was much younger, but I forget the beautiful location! Had a room on the 11th floor with a great view over the water. The room was extremely clean and well maintained. The staff at the front desk was excellent! Dealt with three different employees and they were all extremely friendly and helpful. I didn't utilize the spa, fitness area, or pool. I did get the breakfast that was part of my stay and it was excellent. Great fresh fruit, eggs, bacon, cereal, etc. Great food! If I return to Ft. Lauderdale I will be staying in this location again. Clean hotel, beautiful location, and great staff!

Room Tip: Ask for a view of the water on a high floor, it's a beautiful view.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business