“Not good for business travelers” 2 of 5 bubbles

Renaissance Fort Lauderdale Cruise Port Hotel
Ranked #32 of 128 Hotels in Fort Lauderdale
GreenLeadersBronze level
Louisville, Kentucky
“Not good for business travelers”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 10, 2012

I just completed a stay at this hotel over a two week period. I am loyal Marriott member and travel about 60% of the time for work. I would not recommend this hotel to business travelers. When traveling so frequently, it's the little things at the hotel which make the most difference. I was not given new toiletries on a daily basis. The hallway of my floor and my room always had a rusty, damp smell. The concierge lounge was not open on the weekends. The drinks in the lounge were not kept in a cold refrigerator. One evening when having dinner at the bar downstairs, our food took over an hour to be delivered. When we tried to order dinner before leaving the office so it would be ready when we arrived at the hotel, the staff refused to perform this service. Last, but certainly not least, the internet connection at the hotel was extremely poor. The service was so poor that on several occasions I could not access my work VPN. There was a hard wired connection on the desk for the internet, but it did not function in my or my colleagues rooms.

The staff at the front desk was friendly, however not overly helpful. The hotel was not poor enough so where we felt the need to change hotels. However, I will not be staying at this hotel in the future. There is a Hilton right down the street from the Renaissance that receives much better reviews and was suggested to us for our next trip.

I believe this hotel does quite a bit of business with travelers to cruise ships. I can see where staying at the hotel for one night would be feasible. However, I would not recommend the hotel for business travelers.

1 Thank amandalou52
FTLRenaissanceGM, General Manager at Renaissance Fort Lauderdale Cruise Port Hotel, responded to this review, September 11, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback on TripAdvisor. My team and I take each comment as a distinct reflection of our ability to deliver quality customer service.

I had the opportunity to speak with one of your colleagues on the day of your departure who also shared her thoughts on the hotel. If concerns would have been reported during your stay, rather than at the end, we have options available to our long-stay business travelers.

For example, we can dedicate bandwidth to individual IP addresses, upon request, for VPN networking and video conferencing. We also provide all Platinum and Gold members complimentary breakfast on the weekends. Typically, concierge lounges are closed in all Marriott hotels, however, this is our way of saying "thank you" to our loyal guests.

Again, thank you for your feedback and if you have any additional concerns, please do not hesitate to call my office.

We look forward to seeing you on your next trip to Fort Lauderdale!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (210)
WA
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 9, 2012

Good location for the cruise terminal, standard Renaissance, decent rooms, etc. However, when we tried to check in (past check in time), they weren't ready. They cheerfully told us that "everyone else" in the same boat was in the lounge, and we could wait in there. We did, and after having a drink and waiting a long while (high prices, no discount for having to wait), we checked again with the front desk, only to find that our room was ready, but no one had bothered to come find us, despite the fact that they had told us where to wait.
We signed up for their shuttle to the cruise terminal. When we came down the next morning a about 5 minutes prior to departure time, they said the shuttle had already left, but that we could take the next one with a few other couples. (BTW, we really were early - I checked when they said it had left.) So, we waited for the next one. In the mean time, a large family came downstairs, and they decided that the large party should get the next shuttle, so we waited again. Ultimately, we got there, but it might have been quicker to get a taxi.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
FTLRenaissanceGM, General Manager at Renaissance Fort Lauderdale Cruise Port Hotel, responded to this review, September 10, 2012

Please accept my personal apologies for the delay on your checkin. Although rare, this situation may occur when we are trying to meet specific requests (ie: room location, view, etc.) As a practice, we communicate with our "waitlisted" guests via cellphone to ensure they receive their room in a timely and efficient manner.

The effectiveness of this program is demonstrated in the previous post titled "Great Staff" on September 8th, so please rest assured that your situation was an isolated event.

Similarly, the pricing through our third party vendor, Quick & Safe Transportation, is almost always the most cost effective option to get into Port Everglades. Currently, through an exclusive agreement (from which the Hotel receives no compensation), they are charging $6.00/person for Renaissance guests.

In contrast, from what we understand heavy traffic flow into the port can results in cab fares near $30 on an cruise average day.

If you have any additional questions or concerns, please do not hesitate to call my office. We look forward to seeing you on your next trip to Fort Lauderdale!
Chicago
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 8, 2012

My wife and I stayed here for a couple of night before a cruise. The staff was great! Upon check in we had to wait for our room, no biggie it was 11am on Friday. Once we had been pre-registered the front desk agent offered to have our bags stores, told us she would call us once the room was ready, and gave us a list of things to do in the area. We were called back a couple of hours later, and asked how our day was going and if we needed any more ideas about what to do.

The room itself was a typical Renaissance room, nothing spectacular, but who goes to South Florida to spend the day in your hotel room.

The pool was a nice size, large enough to swim some laps without having to run over small children.

The hotel also had a good location. There is a cheap trolley that picks up across the street that will take to the beach, restaurants and shopping.

We stayed here because of the close proximity to the cruise port, which they have shuttles running to and from, but would go back for the welcoming staff and great service.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends
Peoria, Az.
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 4, 2012

We stayed here on our way to a Caribbean cruise and loved the hotel. Very helpful staff and a great open room to wait in while you wait to get to your room. Bellhop will take your suitcases up for you and come and get them when you are ready to leave. They will have a taxi to take you to your cruise ship at the departure time.
We loved staying here and are once again making reservations to stay here for this years cruise to the Caribbean.
It's clean and convenient and quiet and comfortable.

Room Tip: Does not matter but we prefer rooms on a higher floor of the hotel just for the view.
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank macstraits
Orlando
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 30, 2012

The hotel is average BUT the $25 (plus tax) fee for self-parking per day is way out of their league. I think they want to take advantage of the people going to Port Everglades/Cruises and need that one night stay before the cruise. This is just a hotel, a place with beds next to a strip mall. It's NOT a resort. There are many hotels in that area that has free parking if you just need a room for a night that are in the same league as this one. I stayed a few nights in Hollywood Beach after my cruise and the average parking fees for those RESORT hotels were $15 for self-parking. BEWARE.

1 Thank AudioTraveler
FTLRenaissanceGM, General Manager at Renaissance Fort Lauderdale Cruise Port Hotel, responded to this review, August 31, 2012

I apologize that you feel that we are taking advantage of our guests with our parking fees - this is definitely not the case! So you have a piece of mind, please know that parking charges are posted on our website as well as with our partners (Expedia, Priceline, Hotwire, etc.)

In addition, we are not exclusive in this fee as many hotels in the area currently charge for self-parking. For your edification, here is a list of the hotels closest to the Renaissance and their respective published charges (as of 8/31/12):

Hilton Fort Lauderdale Marina: $21
Embassy Suites 17th Street: $16
Marriott's Harbor Beach: $25
Holiday Inn Cruise Port : $10

If you have any additional questions or concerns about parking, please do not hesitate to call me in my office. We look forward to seeing you on your next trip to Fort Lauderdale!
Akron, Ohio
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 28, 2012

The Renaissance Marriot is an extremely comfortable hotel. Staff are exceedingly friendly, courteous and helpful, the rooms are clean and spacious, the restaurant and bar serve good, if pricey, food and the pool, hot tub and gym are easily accessible.

This hotel was built in the no-mans land between the airport and downtown Fort Lauderdale, an area that is being gentrified. The convention center is nearby, there are plenty of restaurants and shops within walking distance, and the marinas and docks are nearby for those taking cruises. The most notable and expensive restaurant nearby is the Bimini Boatyard Bar and Grill, a one minute walk from the hotel.

The water taxi, a five minute walk towards the drawbridge, provides an inexpensive way to tour the city, see the multi-million dollar yachts and waterfront property while listening to the humorous banter of the ticket taker. Ticket prices vary, but the best value is the $10 after 5PM ticket which enables you to get on and off at as many stops as you can to sightsee. You also get sunset on the water if you time it right. Brochures are available at the lobby desk. Taxis and a shuttle are also easily available (A ten minute $15 and tip taxi ride to the airport) but the price for parking is expensive - $25 per day.

Smokers have their choice of sitting outside the main entrance under the portico, outside in the pool areas in designated areas or outside on balconies with ashtrays located at the end of the hallways on their floors so that you don't have to go down to the lobby floor.

Each room has a flat screen tv with a standard selection that can be upgraded, room safe and hair dryer and iron with board are also standard. Plenty of hot water and good water pressure in the bathrooms although the towels could not be termed fluffy, in fact coarse might be a better description - the hotel's only flaw. Room temperature can be adjusted. The only complaint I have is that the air conditioning in the rest of the hotel was indeed too cold, and while eating in the bar this causes the food to get cold too quickly. You can request a microwave oven and a refrigerator at no charge as these are not in the room. I found I had the best sleep I have had in a hotel in a long time because the beds, covers and pillows are exceptional.

I'd definitely stay here again with no qualms.

Room Tip: Choose an even-numbered east facing room on the south side of the hotel. The water view is partially...
1 Thank voyageurm
New Jersey
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 26, 2012

I love short and to the point reviews.

We arrived late in the evening ( 10:30 P.M. or so). We checked in to a nice clean room,We needed a couple of more pillows and they were delivered to our room in 10 minutes after our request.The next morning we had a wonderful buffet breakfast and the front desk called us a cab and we were off to our cruiseship 5 minutes later.

Just a perfect overnight stay!!!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family