“Better than expected...”

GreenLeadersBronze level
Jim Thorpe, PA
“Better than expected...”
Reviewed January 18, 2008

I tagged along on a business trip with my husband to Ft Lauderdale. The conference he was atttending and the room was at the Renaissance near the Port. I had read some bad reviews and was dreading to see the room. I was pleasantly surprised. We had a room overlooking the harbor and it was lovely. Some of the furnishings needed updating but the hotel is planning renovations in May 2008-so caveat emptor.

The staff was really nice and helpful. They had a full coffee and tea service in the lobby, and either had fresh fruit or really good home baked cookies throughout the day.

They offered turn-down service with Milano cookies. Yum. The pool was alongside RTE 1 so it was a little noisy-but they had great pool furniture. It was a short drive to the beach and there was a great french bakery with the most delicious apricot croissants and real cappuchinos and lattes-not like the common chain coffee shops.

• Liked — The service
  • Disliked — The cleaning could have been a little more thorough.
  • Stayed January 2008, traveled on business
1 Thank NaomiJimThorpe_PA

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (214)
Albuquerque
Reviewed January 8, 2008

We've stayed at this Renaissance before, so we were familiar with the location, rooms and amenities. We stayed four nights pre-cruise and one night post-cruise. Both of our rooms were nice, with great king size beds, and superb maid services.
The front desk staff, parking staff and even the hotel manager* were very nice, professional and a delight to deal with.
We made use of the pool and workout center which was in good shape, but didn't visit the restaurant or bar.
There is a $15 charge per night for self-parking, which is pretty standard for this part of Ft Lauderdale, and you need an orange card to exit the parking area.
*The only negative was the fact that on Christmas night the alarm system went off at 11:30pm and caused a series of electrical shutdowns. For a hour and half the electricity was off, the alarm sounded, or hummed, and we were unable to sleep. Now, we didn't freak out, as this happened to us on two other occasions at this hotel the last time we stayed there. The difference being, on those occasions the problem was fixed in minutes.
My wife found a letter on the room desk from the manager that indicated we should call his cell phone if anything concerned us about our stay at the hotel. Of course, my wife called him, and he was in his car headed to the hotel.
Everyone who stayed in the hotel that evening received a 50% refund off the rate they paid and an apology letter from the manager. No other problems the rest of our stay.
Except for this alarm system, the hotel is a great place to stay!

• Liked — Location, location, location
  • Disliked — Chronic problems with the fire alarm systems
  • Stayed December 2007, traveled as a couple
1 Thank kelmac48
SLC, Utah
Reviewed January 3, 2008

I am normally pretty positive with my reviews, but this place really wasn't the greatest. I had actually booked with a different hotel until I saw this place on Hotwire. I traditionally enjoy the Renaissance chain and decided to go for it. I was told it was the only 4 start hotel on hotwire for the Downtown/ Port Everglades area so that is how I knew to book it.

When we arrived the bellman was friendly and the lobby was very nice. That is when things started to go down hill. We arrived at about 1 in the morning. The man working the front desk made me feel very unwelcome. I almost felt like I was robbing him or something and was very eager to get to our room. When we arrived in our room, we were surprised with an adjoining room and also a handicap bathroom. I understand that when you book with Hotwire you often get the bad rooms, especially when you arrive at 1 in the morning, so we dealt with that. We didn't notice any mold or anything like that, but the room really didn't overwhelm. It was very comparable to a standard budget hotel room.

Some positives were that the bed was very comfortable (even though I spotted a long black hair on the sheet - ugh) and the air conditioning worked well. Another negative was there was really nowhere to hang clothes. This again could be because it was a handicap room and didn't have a closet. Also our floor had a pretty stagnant smell to it.

We went to breakfast at the hotel restaurant. It was I think $18 a person for a pretty average buffet at best. We also looked around the area a bit. There was a Walgreen’s right across the street as was the entrance to the cruise port. We also visited the pool area. It was pretty nice with good sitting areas.

Check out was crowded with what appeared to be many fellow cruisers. We took a taxi and this seemed the best option. There were a lot of people that seemed to be waiting for shuttles of some sort (I don't believe the hotel has one, so I am not sure with who) but we quickly grabbed a taxi and were off.

Overall, it was a very average hotel. It wasn't anything I would want to pay more than a $100 to a $150 for. If I paid in the $300 or $400 range I would be very disappointed with what I got. If you are looking for a hotel very close to the cruise port, and can find a good deal on hotwire it may be worth considering, otherwise look elsewhere

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Staff, smell
  • Stayed December 2007, traveled as a couple
4 Thank golf_slc
Rhode Island
Reviewed January 1, 2008

Shocked this is a Marriott property! We're not picky and just wanted a clean room and pool to relax by for 1 night pre-cruise and were using a free night voucher. Well, we would not even stay for free! While checking in the staff was rude. My daughter noticed a sign said pool closed? I asked why this was not on the website or we we not notified and was told "I don't know"! They said we could take a cab to another hotel to use another pool!! We still checked in and thought we would make the best of our day and do something else...until we got to our room. It smelled, bad. No towels...don't think it was ready for check-in. I called the front desk to complain (politley) but was told if I was unhappy to call Marriott Rewards and move to another hotel! So, I did just that. When I went to sit to call I stopped very quick as the chair had all white, fuzzy mold on the upohlstry! YUKK!! No wonder the room smelled! (it was on a high floor not ground floor). I was lucky to get another hotel as this ws a holiday week and could not wait to get out of there! I stopped at the desk to get my voucher back and it was just "thrown" at me! I asked if they were getting us a cab as the Rewards dept. had contacted the front desk but she said "NO, your on your own"! We could not get out fast enough! I did read reviews about this property that seemed good but now after the fact I have found some other pics of mold and have been reading there is a new GM who has let this property go straight downhill! What a shame. I have written a letter to Marriott as this is the worst hotel I have ever been in and I would not even let my dog stay! I would rather have slept outside!! The only good thing is we were fortunate to get moved to the brand new CY that just opened and it was fantastic!

• Liked — Nothing
  • Disliked — Rude staff and Filthy!!
  • Stayed December 2007, traveled with family
2 Thank NavigatorX2
salem
Reviewed November 17, 2007

Full disclosure - I LOVE the Marriott hotel chains, so I always look for Marriott hotels first when I travel somewhere. And up to now, my loyalty has always been rewarded. But something went horribly wrong here. The quality of service (from management down) was atrocious. I've never seen people work harder to make guests unhappy than here. I shortened my stay as a result. The hotel common areas were not cleaned. (I walked by the same filthy table on five different occasions.) Breakfast in the executive lounge involved a game of "find a clean plate." Overall, a heart-breaking stay.

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — everything else
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled on business
3 Thank 100by2010
Ireland
Reviewed October 26, 2007

We stayed at the hotel pre & post cruise for a total of three nights and had a great experience. Staff very friendly and went of their way to help us arrange a shopping trip to Sawgrass Mills. Our room on both occassions was spotlessly clean and the beds were extremely comfortable. The pool area is kept very well and is very clean. This hotel is in a great location if you are going on on a cruise - just two miles from the cruiseport Plenty of restaurants, shops etc in the area. We would highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed October 2007, traveled as a couple
5 Thank shins
West Central Illinois
Reviewed October 3, 2007

I have read negative reviews on this hotel but I have to say that we are still pleased with this hotel. Great for pre cruise and post cruise stays. This was our second stay at this hotel.

You just can't beat the location, a short cab ride from the airport or the cruise port. There is a Budget rental office in the shopping center across the street, restaurants, grocery, drugstores and liqour stores all within walking distance.

We checked in early post cruise and had no problems with our room. We stayed one night pre cruise and one night post cruise. Room was clean and well furnished. I looked around for the issues others have had but could not find any. We got our rooms on Priceline and had no negative impact with our room. The beds were very comfortable.

We had fellow cruisers who looked at our room post cruise and had stayed at a luxurious hotel pre cruise but made the statement they would rather stay here due to the location.

I like the internet that is available. Only negative I can find is the $15 a day to park your car. Post cruise I was told by Budget just to park our car where the rentals are parked across the street.

We did not use the pool but did take a walk by the pool. All appeared clean and well kept.

All in all a great value for us!

• Liked — Excellent location near cruise port and within walking distance of restaurants and stores.
  • Disliked — Parking fees.
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled as a couple