“I dont have the complaints others did”

La Quinta Inn Ft. Lauderdale Northeast
Ranked #72 of 128 Hotels in Fort Lauderdale
New York, NY
“I dont have the complaints others did”
Reviewed May 7, 2006

So after reading the comments on here I was a little concerned but everything at the hotel was fine.

I do think that it was just a motel that Mariott bought and renovated to be part of their chain. I had been expecting a slightly more hotel look but when driving around Ft. Lauderdale I realized that most places have the cleaned up motel look so considering that the place looks a lot better than others you will drive past.

The room was clean, we always had plenty of towels and soap, etc... We were able to find outlets for our cell phones and parking was not a problem. Friday night there were fewer parking spaces available than the other nights we were there but it still not a problem.

We liked the breakfast and didn't mind that it ended at 9am (it ends at 10am on the weekend) it helped make sure we didn't sleep the morning away. They were very good about making sure the food was constantly stocked.

The pool is so nice, its clean, has a great set up and there are tons of chairs.

Noise wasn't a problem.

The place is good average, its easily accessible to the highways. If you plan on being active and need a clean place to sleep this place does the job.

Stayed May 2006
2 Thank Tiggeruth

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (65)
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed March 16, 2006

I was there for several nights at the same time frame as the previous poster. I partially agree with some of the things that they have said, and dis-agree with some others.

First of all, the police dogs were there because of a competition; they do not 'live' there. I counted at least 6 rooms with the notice on the doors or windows. They were there from Sheriff's offices from all over the state. In fact, the field of the school next door was set up similar to an obstacle course; not sure if that was the competition site, or just a training area. Anyway, they all checked out before I left. They all seemed to be on the ground floor (2-story building, no elevators).

The price was high for the room; I have stayed at better rooms at lower prices. It had one king size bed with 3 pillows; a bit too big for one person, but that is their standard. There were also 2 phones in the room, one by the bed, and another one on the desk. There was the bed, night stands, dresser with TV on it, desk, and 2 chairs in the room. Bathroom was adequate.

The television did not have full cable; just the locals, HBO, and a few other channels, 19 total plus an on-demand in-house movie channel and a promo channel. They did not have The Weather Channel, which is something that I expect.

I did have some problems, but most were taken care of. Several times when the cleaning crew cleaned up my room, they took all of the old soap (which is good), but they did not leave me any new bars. I had to go to the office to get some new soap bars; they gave me the bas with no problems. I asked them if they had small bottles of mouthwash, but they said no. I had to go to a drug store about a mile away to get some. They also shorted me a couple of times on the washcloths. My concern is that these should not have happened in the first place; and they should not have happened more than once after I complained to the front desk about them.

One day, the cleaning crew tried to get into the room while I was still in bed; they managed to unlock the door, but the safety latch kept them from coming in. They did not knock or anything; just tried to come in.

I did not use the pool; no time for that. The breakfast was just mini-donuts, bagels, cereal, fruit, and coffee. It ends at 9AM; I went there at 10 to get something, but everything was gone; I expect the stuff to stay there until noon at least. Nothing special about the stuff they had, but the room was crowded when I was there.

Finding a nearby parking place was a bit hard a couple of nights. One night, I had to park on the other side of the building and walk over 300 feet to the room. No problems with noise from other guests. They had an alarm clock in the room, but it was a bit hard to figure out to operate. I finally got it to work after about 15 minutes of trying. When I checked in, the front desk did ask me if I wanted a wake up call; I asked them if they had an alarm clock in the room, they said yes, so I said that I would just use that.

I had a problem finding an outlet to plug my cell phone cord into. I finally had to unplug a lamp to get an open socket. They did have a jack for an internet connection, but I didn't have the laptop to connect to it.

Checkout was good; they left a bill hanging on my door with an 'express checkout' folder.

• Stayed March 2006, traveled on business
2 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Eugene, Oregon
Reviewed March 7, 2006

I too was very hesitant to stay here - had made reservations many months ago for the Tut package when the reviews were pretty good, then before we left all these terrible ones - pretty scary.

Our experience was mixed, but I agree with a lot of the recent posters...staff is nice but clueless, seem to not be bothered at all by complaints, I guess they are so used to it. The water WAS yellow. We saw no bugs.

When someone says a place is a "dump" I picture a dark, dank, moldy place with peeling wallpaper, grungy carpet, etc...that was not our experience. Our room was clean and spacious, new carpet and furniture (Room 179 - way in the back). Because we stayed way back there we found some interesting facts...did you know that the Police K-9 unit lives ON the premises? Twice we saw the dogs being "trained" and walked in the parking lot - there were doors that said (in permanent signage) "Police Dog Inside - DO NOT ENTER). I'm mentioning this because of one review when someone said the place had no security but they had to call the Police for disturbances - they sure didn't have to come too far!

When we were there there was an Elderhostel group staying in the hotel...they usually frequent inexpensive establishments, but not unsafe or really horrible ones.

Let's face it, the place is a Motel, not a Hotel...it does have the Marriott name, but it is also a Fairfield Inn - the lowest rung on the Marriott hierarchy. And I got a terrific deal with the King Tut package...we paid $169, and that included the room plus 2 VIP tickets ($70 value), 2 headsets ($10 value), the hardcover catalog ($50 value) - total $130...which means that the room actually cost us $39. Now we, like the other Tut goers, could have chosen the Harbor Beach Marriott for $400 a night, with the SAME tickets...but we didn't. So I'm not about to complain about getting that room for $39 (including breakfast and the goodie bag when we checked in).

On the negative side, we had noisy neighbors - a bunch of 20-something kids who were not profane or had loud music, but talked and laughed until around midnight - certainly not something I would call the police about. We then finally fell asleep around 12:30 when the sprinklers went on at 1:00 - so no, it was not a restful night.

I was also upset about the staff's handling of a Tut issue we had...we stayed there one night post cruise, that day was the only chance we had to go to the Museum...so I E-mailed the hotel in January to make sure that if we arrived around 10 am, EVEN IF the room wasn't ready, could we get our tickets so we could go to the exhibit right away. Meredith in management CALLED me at my home to assure me everything would be fine...so we were very disappointed when we showed up at 10:30 am to be told the tickets would be locked up until noon when Meredith arrived for her shift! We had to postpone our plans, but we did get to go...I was just very disappointed that they would PROMISE something and then not have it be so. I also read the comments about them trying to gyp you out of the Catalog, so I was very firm on that and one miraculously appeared from the back room after they told me they were "out". And Meredith was there hiding from me in the back room, sent her lackey to deal with me...it would have gone a long way for her to come out and apologize to me for my inconvenience.

So yes, they have a lot of problems, but it is not a "dump", it's just a motel...you get what you pay for, and for what we paid we could not have expected anything else. I would never choose to stay there again but for the terrific Tut package it was okay.

• Stayed March 2006
5 Thank Warmwinds
Albany, NY
Reviewed February 19, 2006

After reading the reviews I was very hesitant to stay in this hotel, but I thought that it could not be that bad since it held the Marriott name. First, you should know that this is a motel and not a hotel. All entrances to the hotel are accessible from the outside. Being a single female, traveling on business, I would not have selected this hotel, simply for that reason. I tried to switch to another hotel in town but everything was booked. The hotel is in a a good area, however without a main lobby to gain entrance, I did not feel safe. The hotel rooms was clean, I did not see any bugs or hair as others have wrote, they are however, very very very worn down. The linens are old, the beds are old, the walls are in need of painting to name a few.

The staff who run the hotel are very nice and friendly, however I had a package delivered to the hotel and first they claimed they gave it to me, when I told them they didn't, they claimed they didn't see it. I had my office fax the signature from Fed-Ex and then the manager remembered seeing the box. They could not find it anywhere in the office, so I mentioned that maybe they gave it to someone else and asked them to call all the people who picked up packages that day. After almost a whole day of phone calls back and forth to them, they finally discovered that they gave my package to someone else. Fortunately the person who had it was attending the same conference and delivered it over to me. The manager who helped me with the situation was nice and was trying very hard to be helpful, however it amazed me that an error like that would happen in the first place.

The last night I was there, a cricket team was staying in the hotel. They were in a room adjacent to my room. They were up all night. I called the front desk, several times. They dont have security there and therefore need to call the local police department for problems. The team that was there was apparently causing problems at the hotel all night, so by the time they came to their room (3am), I had to call the desk 3 times. After the police left, it still didnt quiet down. I got one hour of sleep all night.

Although, this happened, the staff was very sympathetic and apologetic. I know situations like this are often not the fault of the hotel.

Good points: the hotels pool area was nice and clean and they had a nice continental breakfast.

I would not recommend this hotel or stay here again because of the worn down condition of the hotel. The hotel is in serious need of a face lift.

• Stayed February 2006, traveled on business
3 Thank arossi222
Buffalo, Texas
Reviewed January 23, 2006

I agree with the last reviewer. We booked with this hotel in conjunction with the King Tut exhibition Jan.20 (which I can't for the life of me understand why Ft. Lauderdale was picked for something this culturally stimulating). It was a package deal with room, breakfast, V.I.P. tickets to Tut, 10% discount at the museum store and a copy of the official exhibit catalog ($50). Having never been to Ft. Lauderdale, I had only the internet to guide me. This hotel doesn't look anything like the picture(s) on the website (unless they were taken 20 years ago). The rooms were old, run-down, musty with yellowing walls and the water from the taps and shower were yellow! We did, however, receive excellent service from the front desk at check-in...efficient and friendly. The young lady had our tickets and a map to the museum but no catalog. She promised to mail me one when and if she received them (Marriot is sponsoring the Tut exhibit and it had started December 15th...and they didn't have the catalogs!?). I went ahead and bought one at the museum because I knew I'd probably never see one come through the mail. The young lady left a message in our room the day we went to the exhibit saying she had called about the book and was told I would just have to buy my own. She asked for my receipt and promptly reimbursed me (because she knew that was the right thing to do). We payed $169.00 a night for this room (along with the tickets, breakfast, etc.) and I'll stay at a La Quinta or Best Western anyday for little more than a third of that price...tickets or no tickets.

• Stayed January 2006
1 Thank mhitt
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed January 17, 2006

As a frequent business traveler, I thought this place was just disgusting. I arrived on a Sunday evening, and the minute I pulled up, I thought to myself "There's no way I am staying here!" The room had a sickening sweet smell- a sure sign of bed bugs. There was a mysterious "funk" on the desk chair. I was afraid to take my shoes off. 2 of the 3 nights I had to stay there (because there were no other vacant hotels for miles) I couldn't sleep because of the constant traffic outside of my room (people, not cars). I was told by some locals that this was the place that rents rooms by the hour- and I believe it!! I would definitely not stay here again or recommend it to any traveler.

• Stayed January 2005, traveled on business
3 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
N.Ireland
Reviewed August 11, 2005

Having stayed in Fairdield Inn's before this once is definately below average. Because of changes in out travel arrangements we had stayed in the Best Western down the road the night before, and you couldn't compare the two. Whilst the Best Western was quiet and peaceful, this hotel was swarming with young people. We can only assume there was a convention going on or something because they took over the whole place. There was hardly a spare seat in the pool.
Breakfast was a disaster. Breakfast was only available to 9o'clock, not great when you are on vacation, and the breakfast attendant ensured no-one was allowed any more food after 9o'clock. So if you slept in til 9.05 you've no chance of getting food! Although on a positive note, the breakfast was well maintained and kept stocked up.
The room was small, and we had a tiny lizard in our room on the wall just before we went to bed. However, when we called reception, they were very quick to respond, and sent someone straight away.
On the whole but, I wouldn't recommend this hotel, and would stay at the Best Western Oakland instead.

• Stayed August 2005