“First and last stay at the F.L Sonesta”

Sonesta Fort Lauderdale Beach
Ranked #14 of 128 Hotels in Fort Lauderdale
“First and last stay at the F.L Sonesta”
Reviewed August 3, 2014 via mobile

Pros:
-Location is a hop away from the beach
-15 min walk to Galleria mall (nice shops and restaurants)
...that's about it.

Cons:
-The #1 negative for me was the bed/linen set up. It does not seem sanitary that the duvet (which I'm sure are not washed between stays) was loosely covered by 2 sheets, one on top and one on bottom. The sheet under the duvet did not reach the bottom of the bed so duvet was directly on you. For a 4-star hotel, they should DEFINITELY invest in zipper duvet covers that are washed between uses.

-Housekeeping: they did not show up until 4 or 5pm some days, right when most people get back from their day and want to shower and get ready for the evening. I did not have the room serviced some days because I needed the bathroom and they came at such an inconvenient time.

-The room generally felt "sticky" ...the white desk chair and drawers had black all over and the bathroom just did not feel clean...in particular the shower.

-Pool is small and chairs are not very comfortable

-No robes or mini-fridge in the room (fridge available only upon request) which I would expect at a hotel of this class.

-Location is a bit more removed from more of the "action" of the beach strip.

All in all I think this will be my last visit to the Sonesta.

Stayed August 2014
2 Thank Rockies1027
Lindsay D, Manager at Sonesta Fort Lauderdale Beach, responded to this review, August 4, 2014
Dear Rockies1027,

Thank you for your feedback on your recent stay with us. I am sorry to hear that your Sonesta experience did not meet your expectations. I will follow with the housekeeping department regarding your delay in services, but can assure you that all linens are washed between stays as we pride ourselves in cleanliness and typically receive rave reviews about how clean our rooms are. We recently added several mini-fridges to our higher room categories so there are more available to guests. Additionally, we have ordered new pool furniture so the area should be completed updated in a matter of weeks.

Again, I thank you for your review and apologize for the inconveniences you experienced. If there is anything else in particular that I can assist or look into for you, please email me at ldufresne@sonesta.com.

onesta.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (716)
  • Hebrew first
rhode island
Reviewed August 3, 2014

My husband my 10 year old son and I went to ft Lauderdale july, and stayed at the sonesta, apon checking in they gave us the second floor jr suite, we got up to the room and we were so disappointed with the view, so my husband and I went downstairs and talked to the manager he had no problem changing our room to the 11th floor, what a beautiful view. The rooms were very clean and spacious. Everyone there was so friendly. The hotel is in a great location, not to crowded. there were a few weddings while we were there and we loved watching them on the beach. We would and have recommended this hotel already to our family and friends

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Dear drewsmom0430,

I'm so glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us recently and that it was accommodating to you and your family. I'm also happy to hear that the front desk was able to resolve your room situation in a timely manner. We hope you will stay with us again soon on your next trip!

Dubai, United Arab Emirates
Reviewed August 3, 2014

I stayed at the Sonesta just a few weeks ago whilst travelling round America. Rooms are immaculate and staff very friendly. However.......after hours of travelling we were kept awake by a wedding upstairs. It literally felt as though the dj was in our bedroom. This did stop around midnight but was very very annoying. Would not recommend the tenth floor. We were in room 1014. The bathroom was constantly smelling of smoke which wasn't pleasant.

Room Tip: Do not get a room on the 10th floor and check if there's a wedding on beforehand
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear Carol M,

Thank you for staying with us on your quick trip to Fort Lauderdale, we certainly appreciate the feedback. I'm sorry to hear that the wedding disrupted your sleep, noise is often a problem we don't have much control over when our social events run until 11pm. I am glad to hear that you enjoyed the comfort of your room, though, and hope you will consider us on your next visit.

New York City, New York
Reviewed August 1, 2014

Great hotel, great location, great staff! All the rooms have a fantastic view of the ocean and are spacious and bright. The staff could not be more friendly and helpful. The valet staff are on the ball and we never waited more than 3 minutes of our car. We certainly will stay here again if we return to Florida.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank CathyCD
Dear CathyCD,

Thank you so much for your kind words about your recent stay with us, I'm so glad to hear that you enjoyed it! I will be sure to commend the valet on their service as well. Please come back and see us again soon.

Fort Lauderdale
Reviewed July 31, 2014

Most of the reviews are pretty accurate. It is a very clean, new hotel. You will find a refrigerator in the room now. The room could use a microwave. The view is exactly shown. Prepare your budget if you have to park your car. The food at any part of the hotel is very good. There is a 24 hour pizza place at the corner. The staff is very good.

The valet staff is very attentive and will have your car ready when you specify.
The front desk will do everything in its power to fulfill your requests.
Pool side staff is pretty good. Keep an eye out for Joe there. He is very good and probably one of the best or the best staff the hotel has. He made the difference between staying at the pool and going to the beach. I really love the beach.
Cleaning staff made the rooms well.
The bed and pillows are very good. You will NOT be disappointed.
If you are on business, ensure you have a room with a desk to work.
The sink is small if 2 people are using, but should not be a deterrent. There is privacy between the bathroom and main room. This was fixed.
Overall the hotel will be a good choice, expect to pay a little more, but it will be worth it when you are there.

I had a choice between this hotel and another. I am glad to have chosen this one. Make sure you sign up for the rewards program. They give out free nights after 7 days there!!!

• Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
Review collected in partnership with Sonesta

Dear Peter M,

Thank you for staying with us and your kind words about the property. I'm so glad to hear that you find the rooms to your liking, and to replicate what you saw online and in previous pictures. I will be sure to relay your feedback to our team about the great service you experienced, and also tell Joejie that he pours great drinks at the pool. :) Also, thank you for joining our TravelPass program, we look forward to having you back soon!

Oslo, Norway
Reviewed July 28, 2014 via mobile

Me and my boyfriend had a 3 night stay at Sonesta and we were not satisfied. The hotel has a good location right by the beach but is far away from everything else. When we checked in we only got our keys, no welcome and not any information was provided. The room had a fantastic view (11th floor), but there were no minibar or bathrobe, which in my experience 4 stars hotels usually provide. I didn't sleep well, the pillows were to high and uncomfortable and I didn't like that the duvet cover consisted of two loose sheets, and didn't cover the duvet properly.

The housekeeping was poor. The bathsoap dispencer in the shower was empty the day we checked in, and was not yet filled up the day we left. Used glasses didn't get replaced with new ones, and the floor was sandy so it couldn't have been washed.

The location by the beach was good, so we only went there. We never used the pool, placed on the groundfloor. It was tiny and crowded, and I didn't like the atmosphere.

I recommend the sushi place Saia at the hotel. Great sushi!

We will not choose Sonesta again in the future.

• Stayed July 2014
3 Thank Jillmyra
Lindsay D, Manager at Sonesta Fort Lauderdale Beach, responded to this review, July 29, 2014
Dear Jillmyra,

Thank you for your recent stay with us and your invaluable feedback. I am greatly sorry for the inconveniences you experienced during your stay and assure you that I am looking into all of the issues that you encountered. In particular, I have already spoken with our housekeeping director and she is speaking to her staff today. Additionally, our Rooms Division Manager will be addressing your check-in experience with her staff so this does not happen in the future again. Again, we apologize for the issues you encountered, should you be in the area again, please reach out to me personally at ldufresne@sonesta.com and I will be sure to take care of you if you stay with us.

McKinney, Texas
Reviewed July 27, 2014 via mobile

This was a great stay! We stayed 2 nights before our cruise and so glad we found it. It's about a mile from the mall (we walked there easily) and very quiet. There was a bachelor AND bachelorette party on Friday night and it did get loud. Nothing to complain to the front desk, they were celebrating but they do need to do something about the insulation between the walls. We ate at Saia Friday night and it was delicious! Our waiter was very knowledgeable and informed is of all our choices and what paired together nicely. The front desk helped arrange transfer to Miami cruise port and gave us an IPad to print our cruise document. We will stay here again.

Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Lindsay D, Manager at Sonesta Fort Lauderdale Beach, responded to this review, July 28, 2014
Dear Alissa M,

Thank you for recent review of the hotel and selecting Sonesta Fort Lauderdale prior to your cruise trip. I am happy to hear that enjoyed the surroundings (the Galleria has some great deals :)) and that the front desk and SAIA staff were helpful in assisting you. With regards to the noise, I apologize for the inconveniences of that and hope it didn't disrupt your stay too much. I will be sure to relay your feedback about the noise to my management team. We hope to have you back on property during your next stay!