“B knowledgeable before staying here”

Sonesta Fort Lauderdale Beach
Ranked #15 of 128 Hotels in Fort Lauderdale
Tampa, Florida
“B knowledgeable before staying here”
Reviewed June 11, 2013

My family (spouse, 3 yr old, 7 month old) stayed at B Ocean while I attended a work conference being held there. The hotel was nice, but pricey in our opinion. 1) You must valet park your vehicle if you bring one, as parking is at a premium so close to the beach. At $25 per day on top of the hotel rate, this adds up quickly. Hotel staff are quick at retrieving your car, but if you would like to save a little money, there is a public lot that costs $10 per night that is located directly behind the hotel and the walk to it is 75% covered by business awnings. 2) We ate at the B'stro restaurant at the hotel our first night. Service was excellent, but once again, for the price, I would recommend eating elsewhere. We got sandwiches and our son got grilled cheese. They were all overwhelmed by too much bread. We took the bread off and ending up just eating the meat. I would prefer Panera for a light meal over B'stro. 3) Views from all rooms see the ocean. We did not get an upgraded room for a better view, but did not need it. 4) The double room was adequate for the four of us and there was enough space to set up the pack n play we brought. The hotel provides Aveda toiletries which was very nice, but the toilet paper was rough. I don't believe it is an exaggeration to say the McDonald's we stopped at on our way had softer tissue. 5) Due to rain during our stay, we did not get to use the pool or walk across the street to the beach 6) on the back side of the hotel, there is a 'by-the-slice' pizza place, an ice cream shop and a couple of bar-type establishments that had burgers, etc. We only had ice cream, which was very good. If we had known the others were there sooner, we would have definitely tried them to avoid eating in the hotel.

• Stayed June 2013

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (703)
  • Hebrew first
Syracuse
Reviewed June 8, 2013

We stayed at the B Ocean in Fort Lauderdale for a wedding in May. When we arrived in our room the view was SPECTACULAR! From other discussions with family- EVERYONE had a beautiful view of the ocean. The decor is very Miami modern, very comfortable. We dined in the hotel's bistro and spent two nights at the hotel bar. Both were very nice. There was only ONE negative- there was no hotel chairs or umbrellas at the beach. Which is a bummer because it is LITERALLY right across the street. If you wanted a chair or umbrella you have to "rent" them from either the Fort Lauderdale Beach for like $50 for two chairs and an umbrella OR you can rent a beach chair at the local gift shop for $5/day. If you are wondering- go for the B Ocean- it was wonderful!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank KC11271
Marina del Rey, California
Reviewed June 7, 2013

Stayed here for only one night on business, but I found the property to be lovely. My room had a great view of the ocean (though one of my colleagues got a corner room, and her view kicked mine's [--]). The room was quiet and the bed very comfortable.

We dined in Saia, the Asian-fusion restaurant in the hotel and the meal was well-prepared and filling.

My breakfast in the B'istro was nice, but a little pricey, I felt.

Overall, I'd recommend if you're in the area.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed June 6, 2013

We booked this hotel on priceline with their "name your own price" feature. We got this room for less than $100, and we couldn't have been happier with our experience.

When we first pulled up the valet tried to talk us into the $27/night fee, but as we are budget travelers we opted to park around the corner (less than a block away) for only $10!

The lobby was very fun and chic with modern couches and colored lights illuminating the textured walls. We checked in quickly, and headed up to our 10th floor room.

The room was a little bigger than I initially thought it would be, with a very large, mounted flat screen TV, 2 double beds (these were the most comfortable beds out of the 3 places we stayed on our trip), floor to ceiling windows with a great view of the beach, and a very sizable closet. There was a nice desk area as well, and the bathroom was clean. I will say, though, the foggy window into the bathroom was a little awkward as we were traveling with another couple. It didn't cause that much of a problem, though.

The pool was nice and warm, and us ladies enjoy lounging on the canopied beds with hanging draperies on the deck. We then walked across the street and enjoyed the beach until the sun went down.

We believe there was something wrong with our phone, because we were not able for the life of us to contact the front desk! And at one point, the phone started making weird noises and flashing. We just unplugged it, and walked down to the front desk for the few things we needed. The first was a crib for our toddler, which they quickly delivered. As we set it up, we noticed they forgot to give us any blankets or sheets, so I headed down to the lobby again to request some. They were surprised to hear we hadn't gotten any with the crib, and were very apologetic and nice about it, and sent some blankets up right away.

Check out time was 11. We left a little early to get some breakfast at the Italian place next door to the hotel. I highly recommend this place! Giant slices of french bread french toast! And the prices were amazing too.

We really enjoyed our stay at B Ocean, and would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
4 Thank liliribs
eduardo f, General Manager at Sonesta Fort Lauderdale Beach, responded to this review, June 7, 2013
Dear liliribs, thanks for sharing your comments. Glad to hear you really enjoyed your visit and apologies for the phone issues. Our beds are indeed so confortable that we call them Blissful!
Ottawa
Reviewed June 4, 2013

Single dad, booked a three night getaway at the B Ocean though Orbitz. Chose the hotel because of its location on the beach, across from the State Park, and across the bridge from the Galleria Mall. I was not disappointed!

As promised, my room on the 5th floor had an amazing view of the ocean, and was otherwise perfectly functional if on the small side. Bed was comfortable and the complementary jelly beans were a nice touch. The shower rather than bathtub might be an issue for some guests, as well as the lack of a fridge, but I made do with ice from the machine on the 4th floor. Complementary internet was slower than I would have hoped.

Breakfast was reasonably priced (for a hotel) but after the first night I walked across the bridge to a European café across from the mall. The wine selection at the B'stro on the Beach is a definite plus though.

Pool area was smallish but didn't have a problem getting a chair or draft beer from the pool bar. Kudos to the bartender for asking for my name and remembering it three days later!

The state park across the road is perfect for a morning jog, meeting a cute nurse from Vermont :), or just sitting on a park bench on the intracoastal waterway reading a book.

Within walking distance, was able to keep my wine supply stocked; have Happy Hour Mexican food, enjoy some Pittsburg culture with dinner at Primanti Brothers and enjoy best dinner value at Thai on the Beach, just upstairs.

The bike rental kiosk in front of the hotel and the waterbus stop across the bridge at the Doubletree Hotel make it easy to get around town.

The B Ocean Fort Lauderdale is on my list for my next getaway trip to Fort Lauderdale!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank roadwarrior4
Dear roadwarrior4, thank you for your feedback. We're glad we made your list of the place to B the next time you return to FLL!
Powell, Ohio
Reviewed June 2, 2013

First of all let me say that the view from my room was spectacular. From the 11th floor I had an awesome panoramic view of the ocean. This place would be ideal for a romantic honeymoon. The location of this this hotel is near perfect, close to restaurants and the beach and shops to buy souvenirs. The decor of the room is all white, highlighted with ocean-like impressionistic art on the walls. The room was immaculately clean and kept so daily by the housekeeping staff. In general all the hotel staff were friendly and accommodating. They even will let you have a loaner Ipad if you need one for internet connectivity. Overall a great experience, one that I would definitely wish to repeat if I ever return again to Fort Lauderdale.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Frederick S
Dear Frederik S, many thanks for sharing your comments. Sounds like you trully enjoyed your B experience!
Oakland, California
Reviewed May 28, 2013

We were only in Ft. Lauderdale for a night before we boarded a cruise ship. I had been looking for a hotel room for a couple of months. I saw a special on Travelzoo at the B Ocean Fort Lauderdale and decided to book it. The hotel and room exceeded my expectations! The room was as pictured with a fabulous view of the ocean. The room was white and airy and spacious. The beach is just across the street so we were able to walk on the sand at night and spend some time sunbathing the next morning. I would definitely stay there again if I went back to Ft. Lauderdale.

Room Tip: All the rooms have ocean views. We were on the 8th floor and it was great.