“Simple, clean, friendly...but not a four star hotel”

Sonesta Fort Lauderdale Beach
Ranked #14 of 128 Hotels in Fort Lauderdale
great neck
“Simple, clean, friendly...but not a four star hotel”
Reviewed February 20, 2013

The property is clean and rooms have simple lines (Ikea nice, as another rater nailed it) but it is in no way luxurious. We booked this property because of the four star rating. Because of that I dropped the star rating to a 3. It is pretty a minimalist business hotel room with terrible art. There is even a magazine rack mounted on the wall, like in a doctor's office. Staff was nice. Friendly. To their credit the internet was included--a nice touch. It reminded me of a "W" wanna-be. Anything that happens in the corridor might as well be happening in your room..and vice versa! The doors are useless for privacy although we didn't notice any noise coming through the walls.

It is certainly not a four star hotel. Missing so many of the amenities one would expect in a four star property: like a magnifying mirror in the bathroom. Be aware: there is valet only parking @ $25/night (plus tips).

Also, no refrigerators or coffee makers in the rooms. I'm setting aside out the bar upon the arrival and storing my perishables in the frig. And although there is complimentary coffee in the lobby in the mornings that is cold comfort when you would like a cup of coffee or tea before leaving my room while getting ready for the mornings.

I wouldn't bother booking here again unless it was at 3 star prices.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank tcbphdargon
eduardo f, General Manager at Sonesta Fort Lauderdale Beach, responded to this review, February 22, 2013
Dear tcbphdargon, thank you for sharing your comments. We tend to get many accolades for our design and decor throughout the hotel, so it's disappointing to read that you did not enjoy our surroundings. I appreciate your input on amenities and certainly understand what you are accustomed to in your travels. I appreciate your feedback on our staff friendliness and glad you took advantage of our FreeB Wifi throughout the hotel.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (716)
  • Hebrew first
Austin, Texas
Reviewed February 20, 2013

I'm giving B Ocean an "Average" review only because my room had such a beautiful ocean view. The room? Hated it. Ever seen mayo on white bread? This is the decor. White on white on white. Taupe floors and couch. Oh yea..throw a couple blue pics and a blue pillow and that's supposed to be the "splash of color". It felt like I was in an institution. Walls were paper thin...could hear my neighbors next door talking as well as the thump, thump, thump of a party on the penthouse 2 floors up. Air conditioning was so loud that it woke me up with a huge THUMP every time it kicked in. Bathroom so small I couldn't unpack my own bath products. No water pressure. I heard this was a Holiday Inn or some other chain hotel before they turned it into this "upscale" hotel. I'm sorry..but there's a saying in the south "like throwing lipstick on a pig". Yup..that's what they did.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Katie s
Dear Katie, thanks for sharing your comments about your stay with us. It's unfortunate that our hotel facilities did not meet your expectations. We are quite proud of our hotel and do receive many kudos for our modern design but at the end, it's a question of personal preference. Thank you for your strong rating on our location, which is certainly very convenient for many of the activities our guests enjoy while being at the beach.
Scottsdale, Arizona, United States
Reviewed February 18, 2013

To begin with, we booked our room with AMEX and paid a premium to have a Ocean Front Upgraded Room. The highest of the three or four selections available. We arrived to find out that we would not be getting an Ocean Front room and that eventually we received a corner room that partially saw ocean and partially looked down at the roof tops and alley street below. We took picutres with our phone to document the downgraded view. The water in the bathtub was yellow coming out of the faucet and in the toilet. The bathroom itself had black hairs. The walls in this room appear to be thin because we could hear so much noise. To top it off, the maid pounded on the door at 9:00 am to clean our rooms, waking us up. A very poor experience in a revamped hotel that just didn't make the mark. Considering the distance from Las Olas, and the price we paid, along with the numerous deficiencies, the $600 we spent on this hotel would have been better spent at a best western. Perhaps because we normally stay at Marriotts and Hiltons, and had a suite on the Oasis, that we held the hotel to a high standard. However, when you pay for a Ocean Front and get alley and yellow water, that is a expectation from all that is expected to be met.

In dealing with your staff I felt that they were unsympathetic to our plight and the money that was spent. By the time we found the bathroom dirty, the crappy view, and the yellow water, we already tired of dealing with the staff and simply took pictures for documentation on Trip Adviser. The staff argued with me and actually made me login to my computer to prove that I had paid $400 per night for the room, and that reservation from AMEX had a guarantee on the room. I really felt that this was a poor hotel and would not recommend it to anyone. The manager did give us a junior suite (free upgrade) in lieu of the issues. The view and condition of that room is what I have enclosed. Horrible!

Room Tip: If booking this hotel, you need to be above the 5 th floor to see the ocean.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank TravelerBE_13
eduardo f, General Manager at Sonesta Fort Lauderdale Beach, responded to this review, February 25, 2013
Dear TravellerBE_13, thank you for sharing your comments. I was very disappointed to read your initial survey and contacted you to discuss your experience prior to this post. Since I did not hear back, I want to take this opportunity to address your concerns, because we truly care about providing a great experience to every one of our guests. The reservation we received was for a Captivating room but because we did not have the room available that day, we upgraded your reservation to our B Enhanced Suite with a King bed at no additional cost, despite it being the largest unit we have and one category higher than what was booked. As it relates to the the cost of the room, our records indicate a much lower rate than $600 for a one-night stay, so I recommend that you contact American Express and ensure that you were properly billed for this stay (which is one of the reasons why I attempted several times to connect with you as this was a prepaid reservation). I want to truly apologize for not meeting your expectations despite the efforts put forth to provide you with the bed type that was originally booked.
Delanco, New Jersey
Reviewed February 14, 2013

B Ocean's pics online are magnificent! In person, it's more ikea chic than truly luxurious, in my opinion. The beds were extremely comfy although our room was tight and small. The pool area is rather tiny and crowded and not as glamorous or plush as the photos suggest as well. I didn't have time to utilize the pool. Nevertheless, it looked to be a lively and sociable place. If I had a longer stay, I would have been comfortable hanging out there. The cabana's are also free which is a very nice touch, I think. I personally liked the B'isrto. The breakfast buffet was reasonably priced between $12-$16 if I remember correctly. The beach is across a busy multi lane blvd. The area (beach) dips down from street level however, so you don't feel gawked at by cars in traffic. We never found a good dinner spot but there's a 24 hour pizza joint on the corner at the right of the hotel lobby. I tried the pastrami sandwich. They put the cole slaw and fries between the bread and I thoroughly enjoyed it. It was my "Diners, drive-ins, and dives" moment, and I expected Guys big bites to give it a finger lickin head nod of approval at any moment. Be sure to add $25/day valet parking plus tips, to your costs. Florida vacations tend to annoy me with these "extras" that eat into my spending money. The only negative at B Ocean occured on our first day. The cleaning lady overlooked our room. When she finally showed up, she advised us she was supposed to leave at 5:30! umm..sorry for the inconvenience??? Overall, I'd still recommend it. But this is a three and half star in my book and not a four.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Pam H, thank you for sharing your comments. I am glad to hear that you enjoyed the comfort of our Blissfull bed as well as the food and service in our B'stro restaurant. Apologies for the delayed timing to clean your room on the first day. I've shared your note with our Housekeeping team to ensure they don't overlook any assignments. Thank for your your business and your recommendation. Please note that there are several great restaurants within walking distance at the Galleria Mall.
California
Reviewed February 12, 2013

We were very happy with our stay.
Although there were no coffeemakers in the room- there was complimentary coffee in the lobby.
Gave my husband something to do while I lingered in my jammies.
The view was beautiful, our room overlooked the beach, great sunrise.
It was a tad noisy, hall noise coming in, but there was an inch space under the door so we laid a towel down and blocked the sound.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank cmpmekrmom
eduardo f, General Manager at Sonesta Fort Lauderdale Beach, responded to this review, February 14, 2013
Dear cmpmekrmom, thank you for sharing your comments. Great to hear that you were happy with your stay and enjoyed our incredible views. I would love to know what room you occupied so we can take a look at the door. Please reach out to me via our website. Thanks again!
Walsall, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 11, 2013

Second pre cruise visit, staff seem far more experienced and helpfull since my last visit, brilliant position with all rooms overlooking the ocean, safe area with a few local shops and restuarants in easy walking distance, only minor criticism could do with mini bar and fridge in room. Would definetely stay again.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
eduardo f, General Manager at Sonesta Fort Lauderdale Beach, responded to this review, February 11, 2013
Dear Lee H, thank you for your return visit. It is nice to hear that you experienced our great staff and service during this second stay with us. Your recommendation is greatly appreciated!
New York City, New York
Reviewed February 10, 2013

We walked in to an all white lobby - always frightening to a group of people with their heads all down looking at computers as if they were doing something very important... They never looked up and never greeted us. A person who looked as if he was being trained was standing behind kind of smiling and thinking I can do better... Like look up and say hello!!! We made it through the awkward check in period which was like pulling teeth and got to our room with the help of a very enthusiastic bellman. The room was great, clean and fresh and new looking although a little bit over the whole white thing.... The bed was great. Bathroom small but good... Freaks me out that windows don't open right next to the beach - you want to breathe beach air!! The air conditioning is haunted - it howled and whinged and whined all night long - not peaceful. The restaurant in the lobby made us fall in love with this hotel. I'll review that separately.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank KatM60763
Dear KatM60763, thank you for your feedback. I am very disappointed to hear about your arrival experience. We expect all our front desk team members to provide a great sense of arrival and this certainly does not reflect our service values.I apologize for the first impression not meeting your expectations and commit that our team will work harder on providing a wonderful welcome. I do appreciate your positive comments on the cleanliness of the room, our awesome Blissful bed and our wonderful SAIA sushi restaurant.