“Run from this hotel!!?”

Ranked #14 of 128 Hotels in Fort Lauderdale
Longboat Key, Florida
“Run from this hotel!!?”
Reviewed November 18, 2012

Here for the boat show this weekend and the hurricane is reeking havoc. The streets keep flooding and bridges are closed as well as main roads.  That is no fault of the hotel, I know, but an email with a heads up with ways to get there would have been nice. Instead it took us 3 hours to get on, off, almost back on, off then on the island again.  The valet was very nice and apologetic about having to bring us in through the alley or what he called "the back way".  Walking in my husband and I had the same thought... A slightly run down W Hotel. Checked in and left our bags with bellhop. Worried at first as my husband had his IPad in the bag but it WAS there when we got back! We took the $8 shuttle(driver charged us $10 each btw) to show. Came back for dinner and to get keys for room.  Amazing views from room and the room was clean. Shocked that there was no fridge(didn't read reviews before going). But beware walls are PAPER THIN!!! I mean I swear if you're quiet you can hear the people in the next room breath thin! And our neighbors set their alarm and got up at 4 AM! And are very chatty morning people.  Ate at saia. Food, at best, was ok but street was crowded with locals checking out the flooding.  So I got to watch some family sit on the other side of the window and eat fast food and stare while I ate.  You would think the hotel would have asked them not to loiter on the property instead of allowing them to use it like a public park.  There's really nothing around the hotel at night except 3 dive bars(a woman kept flipping her skirt up with nothing on underneath and nobody reacted kind of dive bars)and nothing in walking distance so with streets and bridges closed we went to bed early(which was good since the neighbors I mentioned earlier....). Over all I would say this place is ok if you just need a place to crash and you're a heavy sleeper but other then that it's nothing spectacular I would spend my money on again.  Check out hotels closer to Los Alos; we will next time.
Received a letter from corporate on this and they basically said that this is how their hotel is run and if we don't like it we can stay somewhere else!! I thought I already made it clear I plan to and hope others that read this do too!

Room Tip: Pick one in another hotel!
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
5 Thank Cassandra B
eduardo f, General Manager at Sonesta Fort Lauderdale Beach, responded to this review, November 19, 2012
Dear Cassandra B. thank you for sharing your comments. Although we did respond to your prior comments we received via our guest survey, I am happy to oblige and respond to this post since I think it's important to make sure our readers have the full story. Sandy was indeed an unfortunate event driven by mother nature, and that includes the access to the barrier island where FLL beach is located. Despite the reasonable suggestion of notifying our guests via email, it was impossible to do so considering the fact that the local authorities were changing the traffic situation as the weather deteriorated, hour by hour. Now about the condition of the hotel - we've been opened less than 2 years and have an outstanding facility. I am not sure where the reference to the W comes from, but I can assure you the words "run down" are not part of our vocabulary here at the B. Yes, there were many people, both visitors and locals, observing mother nature at it's best (or worst!) and we do have to, from time to time, ask pedestrians not to loiter near our restaurant; we obviously didn't act in a timely manner during your dinner and for this I do apologize. I must state for the record that our food at SAIA is wonderful, and that is not my opinion, but that of most of our guests and local patrons that frequent SAIA. Our Rooms Division Manager did indeed respond to your comments personally via a letter of apology and an offer for a return visit at no cost to you. Unfortunately, this is a far cry from what is stated on this post.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (716)
  • Hebrew first
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed November 18, 2012

Miami Vice was never my thing, so the all-white lobby with neon blue lights was a major clue that this hotel might not be my cup of tea. It's ultra modern, with mirrored walls in the elevators and more neon. However, the service is excellent, and the rooms have all been renovated, as have the bathrooms. The bathrooms are also fairly large, with rain-style shower heads. No bathtub, though. The room service menu is pretty extensive, and features several items that are not usually included in that kind of assortment. If it's the beach that brings you to Fort Lauderdale, the location is perfect. If it's shopping that you want, the location is also excellent, just down the street from the Galleria, with Neiman-Marcus and Macy's.

Room Tip: The higher the better
3 Thank KFM9275
Dear KFM9275, thank you for your great feedback. I am glad to see you did appreciate all the great features and services of the hotel, while taking advantage of our great location both for sunbathing and shopping!
Philadelphia
Reviewed November 17, 2012

B Ocean is a beautiful hotel. Very nice. We would stay there again in a heartbeat. We have stayed at a number of hotels and this was one of the nicest ones. I loved the decor of the room and everything. The staff was friendly and nice. Shout out to Barry and Tommy, they went above and beyond the call of duty.
A con is the 4 pm check-in. I think it is a bit ridiculous that they don't have rooms available before 4 pm. I heard many people asking if their room was available and the front desk staff kept saying not yet and we don't guarantee rooms until 4 pm. Now, in our case, Barry got a us a room after we waited for nearly 2 hrs and feel asleep :-) in the lobby. He felt so sorry for us, Barry got us an upgraded room so that we could to a get room. We were so grateful to him for showing us kindness. However, I would recommend that if you are going to stay at this hotel, try to get there right around 4 pm b/c I highly doubt that you will a get a room before that time.
Another con was the housekeeping. At 7am, they were out in the hallway and would let the doors SLAM as they went in and out of the room. Omg..can u say, give me a break. Why wasn't she using a door stop, no she let the door SLAM over and over again. It was so bad I had to report it. I could not spend my mornings listening to the slamming of doors every day. I told Tommy, head of housekeeping and the issue was resolved. He went out of his way to make it up to us and I really appreciated it. Also, housekeeping would not leave toiletries for us. However, that was not so bad, all we did was call the front desk and they bought items up immediately...so that really wasn't a big deal at all.
Con and Pro - the tiny pool...mgt and descriptions say intimate..it is small. However, the pool water was so warm. We were able to enjoy it at night and that was a plus (especially after the kids got out of the pool :-) I could not imagine if this was peak season, the pool would not be able to accommodate of the guests. The cabanas and beach chairs were nice and relaxing. Hubby enjoyed the music that was played.
The hotel is not really near restaurants..they are w/i walking distance, if ur up to a good walk. We walked daily but if you are unable to walk a mile, I would recommend that you catch the trolley that runs Thurs-Monday or the bus that runs daily. Both are reasonable so you will be fine. There are few places to eat at the corner and around the corner from the hotel but nothing too much.
The shower water pressure was just right. The water got hot and it didn't take long. Omg, the bed was sooo comfortable. We hardly ever wanted to get out of bed. The 60" TV was nice and it had good stations.
Overall, we really enjoyed this beautiful hotel. We would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank LadyDG
eduardo f, General Manager at Sonesta Fort Lauderdale Beach, responded to this review, November 22, 2012
Dear LadyDG, thanks for your feedback and great ratings. We actually accomodate early check ins very often (as well as late checkouts). The challenge lies when the hotel is full the night before... guests love our rooms and beds so much that it's hard to get them to leave! Apologies for the few issues you encountered but glad to hear that Tommy was able to take care of them. I hope you will B Back soon!
Baltimore
Reviewed November 15, 2012

The hotel is centrally located. Our room had a breathtaking view of the beach. The room was very clean and spacious. It was what I consider a luxury hotel and worth every penny. The bed was amazingly comfortable. We used the valet service and it was excellent. I would surely stay here again when I am in Ft Lauderdale again.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank BaltimoreLeisurelady
Dear BaltimoreLeisurelady, manny thanks for your comments. I do appreciate your recommendation and great ratings. Glad to hear you found our hotel fullfilled all your expectations. Came back to B with us soon!
Orlando,Fl
Reviewed November 15, 2012 via mobile

The hotel is located right in the corner and the majority of the rooms have ocean view. The lobby area is very neat. Once u walk inside the rooms you are amazed by the view and how clean and organize the room looks. The only downside of the hotel is the pool area. It is very small and there is not a jacuzzi. Other than that I definitely recommend you to stay in this hotel if you want to be in front of the beach.

• Stayed November 2012
1 Thank AngelicaJ07
eduardo f, General Manager at Sonesta Fort Lauderdale Beach, responded to this review, November 21, 2012
Dear AnjelicaJ07, thanks for your feedback and your great recommendation. I particularly appreciate your positive comments on room cleanliness... we are very proud of our rooms!
Irvine, California
Reviewed November 14, 2012

Don't waste your money by booking unless you get a cheap rate. All rooms have the view so don't pay more for the curve section. Rooms don't have a window that open. The hotel lacks ventilation and there is an odor in the walkway's and what they call the observation deck which also lack any open area or windows that open. it is a waste to be ocean close but not have the ocean feel. I paid two months ahead and reserved and room high up at the curve with a kig size bed.

I arrived at 1:00 Am and the room was wrong, king was reserved I was given two twins. Phone in room did not work, so had to come to lobby. They could not do anything till next day since manager was not there.

Next day the manager said she will change room to 9th floor king size and she was sorry, She also said the room will be kept till I come back. I came back and the night manager/front desk said sorry no notes in the system. She called the other manager and after 1/2 hour my room was changed, but not the 9th it was on the 5th.

Sunday we got up left the room around 11 Am, came back around 2 Pm. room was not done and towels not changed. Called the desk, they said sorry we will take care of it.

5 PM we were going out and went to the desk, asked about the room cleaning and was told no problem we will take care of it. 11 Pm we came back, guess what!! Room was not done and towels not changed. Called the desk, they asked if I left the sign out, I told him are you kidding!! The room should be done, we asked twice. This hotel is selling itself as a high end hotel and you lack a basic requirement of a 3 star hotel. He said sorry again and sent up towels. The pool is was too small in the back of the hotel, not a very attractive area. Room service is over priced with a room delivery and gratuity included cost. No coffee in the rooms.

The hotel managers don't communicate to each other. The valet staff is excellent. You can park behind the hotel for $10.00 per night if you wish, rather than the $25.00. . The hotel is over priced and I would not rate it as any more than a 3 star.

Room Tip: Front side of the hotel rooms all the same, don't pay extra for the cur section. Windows don'...
5 Thank 7alexander1
Dear 7Alexander1, thanks for taking the time to share your comments. First and foremost, my apologies for your experience at the hotel. As cliche as it might sound, this is definitely not the service or experience that we deliver at B Ocean. We have a good team of people who care, and the shortfalls you experienced are just not acceptable. I've arranged to issue a credit for 1 night to compensate for not meeting your expectations. To our readers: the reservation was booked through Expedia and bed type is never guaranteed... this is why we encourage guests to book directly on our website.
Minneapolis, Minnesota
Reviewed November 12, 2012

We just hosted our annual retreat for nearly 100 people at the B Ocean Ft. Lauderdale. We couldn't have had a better experience.

The hotel's meeting planner had done a fantastic job prepping for our visit. She was at least 3 steps ahead of me at every point. She’s well organized, very courteous and goes above and beyond. This was most evident when she asked for information about our organization – our mission, vision, values, culture, details of the meeting, etc. I’ve organized many events and never experienced such a proactive and strategic person on the venue’s team. In fact, we hosted our event last year at the Westin Ft. Lauderdale, and our experience there was just fine … but pales in comparison to our experience at the B Ocean Ft. Lauderdale.

Beyond the prep for our visit though, the entire on site team did an exceptional job while we were on site. The service was impeccable. The attention to detail was superb. And the flexibility was phenomenal. The team went above and beyond at every step. And the entire hotel was prepped with information about our entire agenda - from the valet to the front desk, to the catering staff, to the other service staff.

The penthouse level meeting rooms really do look like the photos - the view is incredible from every meeting room.

Yet while the meeting rooms and guest rooms did mesmerize our team (which is very important in selecting a venue), the service is what results in return visits and recommendations. Should we visit Ft. Lauderdale again, the B Ocean will be our first choice.

Room Tip: all rooms are stunning with ocean views.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
eduardo f, General Manager at Sonesta Fort Lauderdale Beach, responded to this review, November 17, 2012
Dear Shawna, thanks so much for your feedback. We trully enjoyed having your group at the hotel and cannot wait to B you host once again!