“Weird layout, not the best location”

Sonesta Fort Lauderdale Beach
Ranked #17 of 128 Hotels in Fort Lauderdale
Punta Gorda, Florida
“Weird layout, not the best location”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 19, 2012

The pool area is nice, proximity to the beach is fantastic and I'm sure the views from some of the rooms are exceptional. But, room 406 only had a great view if you're lying in bed, although they sold the room as "direct oceanview". From everywhere else in the room your view is of the trees and the street. Now on to the real issue, the layout. Although there's a door in the bathroom, they installed a full-length obscured glass window in the wall separating the bathroom from the bedroom. When one person is still sleeping and the other is getting ready for the day, the bath light shines through the window, illuminating the sleeping area. My final assessment of this hotel is that there aren't enough restaurants/bars/shops in the area to get to on foot. You'll need to take a bus, cab or water taxi to reach Las Olas and Beach Place.

Room Tip: Get a room on the 5th floor or higher to ensure having a view above the trees.
1 Thank Merlin10_11

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (693)
  • Hebrew first
Rochester Hills
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 18, 2012

This property has some cool modern elements that make it attractive. However, it is seriously lacking consistency in the service department. Every step of the way this property is understaffed. In the restaurant, I witnessed the manager counting the cash drawer each morning at 8:30, interrupting the servers trying to cash out customers wanting coffee to go. The line at the front desk was always 4 people deep just to ask simple questions. The servers that we spoke to throughout our 4 day trip were all hired within the past 2 weeks. I certainly agree that this is no 4 star property, and the price is way to high for a serious lack of service.

Room Tip: Make sure that you get a room away from the ice makers!
1 Thank tkmanthor
Woodstock, Canada
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 17, 2012

We booked one night on our way to a cruise out of fort lauderdale. We arrived late at night, around 10pm. The hotel could not find our reservation and we had to prove we had one by logging into our Priceline Account. After 45 minutes of haggling over the reservation we started up to the 4 th floor. After getting the whole family in, we found chips littered through the carpet.

I went down and asked for a new room, which she promptly gave. Now up to 11. Warning here don't stay on 11 on a Saturday night Friday was fine. Parties are held on the 12th floor. The room was ok. However to get to the room we had to pass a huge stain in the carpet to which I can only guess what it was ( remember we were on the party floor).

For a newly renovated hotel, this hotel is on its way to being beaten. Fine for a party hotel but not for families or anyone that wants the value of a 4 star stay

• Stayed March 2012
3 Thank Jimg0
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 16, 2012

Rooms were filthy. Price did not reflect service. Food and room service was terrible. Never again

• Stayed March 2012
3 Thank mcsweet68
Arlington, Virginia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 13, 2012

I really enjoyed this hotel. The public spaces (lobby, restaurants, pool) as well as the rooms are bright and inviting - exactly what you want in a beach getaway. The bed was incredibly comfortable, and I believe ALL rooms have oceanfront views. The room was large and clean, and free wifi for guests. The hotel is right across the street from the beach (warning - beach chairs and umbrellas have a rental cost from the city, so bring/buy your own if you don't want to pay. $10/chair; $20/umbrella as of this writing). The staff is incredibly nice and helpful. The gym was small but had treadmills and an elliptical and a bike. The weight machine needs to be repaired though. The cons are no coffee maker in the room (although there is free coffee and to go cups in the lobby restaurant until 11am) and no courtesy shower for guests (when will beach hotels learn to have a shower and changing room for guests with evening/night flights?) Housekeeping isn't incredibly reliable, so make sure to call if you want service before a certain time. Overall, I'd return.

4 Thank jessicajds
Denver, CO
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 12, 2012

We stayed here for four nights, booked via hotwire. For a four star hotel, this property didn't quite meet my expectations due to the small rooms, lack of amenities, and poor food. The breakfast served downstairs really wasn't very good, and the service very variable, even when eating the buffet. I wouldn't stay here with kids - the rooms and hotel are just too "modern" and space is too tight. That being said, for a couple or business people, the property is fine. It was clean and comfortable, but two adults and a toddler in a hotel room here was too much. The pizza place just around the corner was delicous (and open 24 hours), and the beach across the street was beautiful and had few people. The state park nearby is a good place for a run (other than the great boardwalk) but bring plenty of bugspray.

Room Tip: All rooms are ocean view.
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank Denverrun
Barre, Vermont
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 12, 2012

My family 0f 3 adults recently stayed at the b ocean 03/02/2012 to 03/10/2012 ,I booked the resort online as a mystery 4 diamond resort !I know the area well as it's not my first visit so the description stated it was on A1A I knew there was some very upscale resorts in that area so I took the risk and booked the resort.I was told the resort was the B Ocean which was a 4 diamond hotel which I thought was great I upgraded our room package to a direct ocean view mystery double room.I read the reviews which weren't to bad,upon checking in the vallet service was excellent ($ 25.oo per day )great crew always opening your doors and helping with packages ,the lobby was very friendly and colorfull we went to our mystery double room to find it was a small ocean view room with two full beds (upgrade holiday inn )we were very disapointed ,bad room service, every day had to call to get towels even one day they forgot to leave toilet paper which after calling housekeeping took 45 min for them to bring they toilet paper to our room.On one of the days upon returning to our just cleaned room we saw they had made our beds never fluffed up the pillows and never put the accent pillows and the stuffed turtle back on the bed ,they were still on the chair,we took a picture and showed it to the front desk which apologized saying thay would fix the problem,THEY NEVER WENT BACK TO OUR ROOM.I will never stay there again and suggest you book some where else.Very disapointed to say the least.

Room Tip: go somewere else
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank allent05670
BOceanGM, General Manager at Sonesta Fort Lauderdale Beach, responded to this review, March 13, 2012
Dear allent05670,

I very much appreciate you taking the time to share your feedback regarding your recent stay with us. Thank you for pointing out the excellent bellman / valets and I am glad you enjoyed the lobby and service provided there. I am very sorry you did not receive the level of housekeeping service you deserve. I will use your feedback as a training tool with my team. I also will use your comments to train the service team to follow up with every request. Again, we really do appreciate your feedback and promise to use it to make us better. I would love the opportunity to communicate with you personally, please reach out to me at gm@boceanfortlauderdale.com and allow me to address your issues.

B Inspired,