“We had a great time in Ft. Lauderdale, but we wont stay at B Ocean again.”

Sonesta Fort Lauderdale Beach
Ranked #14 of 128 Hotels in Fort Lauderdale
Phoenix, Arizona
“We had a great time in Ft. Lauderdale, but we wont stay at B Ocean again.”
Reviewed July 18, 2011

Our first impression when we got there was, the pictures on their web site are very deceiving. The hotel is NOT right on the ocean, it's across the A1A (street). Which was ok, except for the fact that we had to rent($25+), from the city, a lounge chair and umbrella, if we wanted to be on the beach all day. Their pictures make it seem that they have their own private beach or at least an area with there own lounge chairs and umbrellas. The pool is a joke. We have a bigger pool in our backyard. The Bistro on the Beach is NOT on the beach at all. We asked for extra towels and hangers the first day and didn't get them until the next evening after complaining. We had a charge on our room that was not ours. Our room was very small and the bathroom is made for one person. We think this hotel would be great for business trips, definately not for a long vacation.

3 Thank myra13
BOceanGM, General Manager at Sonesta Fort Lauderdale Beach, responded to this review, August 2, 2011
Dear myra13,

Thank you for posting your review on line for our hotel. I am very sorry that you did not find our location and photo's to be as advertised. I can ensure you that every photo we you see online are legitimate and taken from this hotel. I am happy to report that our property is in the top 5 hotels in distance to the sand and water at Fort Lauderdale Beach. Thank you for acknowledging that we would be great for business trips, many others agree. I hope you choose to stay with us again and I look forward to meeting you personally.

Joel Darr

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (716)
  • Hebrew first
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed July 18, 2011

We had our flight rerouted on the way in and had to drive from Orlando to Fort Lauderdale. This was not the hotels problem, but we called before we boarded our flight to Orlando around 7:30pm to let them know we'd be much later and to hold our room. We arrived at the B hotel around 2:30am to find our hotel room was given away and they couldn't do anything about it. We had originally got the hotel on priceline and upgraded after to the 'Stunning Corner King' and was given the curve with double beds. In the morning, after speaking (complaining) to Mr. Johns the day manager, we were given a King Curve room, not exactly what I upgraded to but I wasn't charged for the new room. He also comped all of our meals the rest of the trip and took care of the rental car we had to get when driving to Orlando. This man made it happen! I've seen complaints about the service here and honestly he made all that better! Not to mention, this hotel has a great, on the beach location, and it was next to Primanti's Brothers which was amazing! The beach chairs/umbrella rental service is a bit pricey, but for the whole day it's better than the cheap chairs and umbrellas in the shops nearby. Overall we were taken care of after the initial mistake and it was a great vacation!

Room Tip: The priceline bid got me the hotel at $80/night, you can then call and upgrade to a better room/suit...
2 Thank joshualeewilson
Dear joshualeewilson,

I appreciate you taking the time to share your feedback with the TripAdvisor community. I am very sorry we did not have your room type available when you arrived. I am thrilled to read that Stephen took great care of you and made your visit great. I am happy to read that you enjoyed the hotel and beautiful views. I appreciate you choosing to B Our Guest and hope to see you again soon.

Miami, Florida
Reviewed July 16, 2011

We stayed Friday, July 8, I believe. We just took off for a short get-away and arrived as walk-ins. We got the Florida resident rate, which was nice. We both appreciated our room which was a double with a beautiful view facing the ocean and north A1A. The beds were like white clouds and we loved them. It was ultra clean, peaceful and serene. Unfortunately, we had to leave after one night because my friend, who is a smoker, was just out of a hospital, post surgical and had to go not only entirely out of the hotel, but had to walk around to the front of the hotel and it was frequently raining. It was just too physical. When we relocated some items were left behind - more than we realized at the time. Staff was very diligent and attentive in keeping in touch, following up and tracking down our things. We retrieved them Thursday night and are very appreciative. Many thanks to Barry and Annette. All in all, I would stay again. I wasn't crazy about the parking rates, having to use valet services for parking and bell carts, but the location was great, room was great, and I felt appreciated.

Los Angeles, California
Reviewed July 15, 2011

Stayed here back in April 2011 to visit my best friend who had just moved to Ft. Lauderdale. I was super excited to stay here. My friend had reconmended i stay here. When we checked in it did take a minute to get our room (we booked thru orbitz) When we got into our room it was sooo beautiful ...great views ... everything was clean... had to get ready to go to dinner and a night out on the town with my bff (which i haven't seen in 2 1/2 years) when we left the room at 8pm. I did leave the tv on ( which with all the reviews about thin walls ) was probably a mistake. but we got back around 2:30am but decided to go get pizza (delish) and bring it back to the hotel room to eat since it was sooo crowded at the place. Big mistake... we stepped off the elevador and a woman popped her head out of the door and told us to be quite... litteraly the second we step off the elevador ... i get that my sister has a loud voice (everyone tells me) but thats just her we get to our room and 5 min later there is knock at the door asking us to be quite ... 5 min later we get a call from the front desk telling us to be quite ... that everyone on the floor we were on was complainning of the noise. I've stayed in hotels everywhere and we are professional girls I am an accountant, my sister is a therapist and my friends are a marriage and family therapist and a social worker. Right after the phone call 2 min after the same guy comes to the door and askes us to leave. its almost 3am we have no place to go. we talk to the guy and my friend did get in his face. i get another phone call from the front desk we have 5 min to pack up and leave. I ask about a refund and he laughs and says that we booked thru an outside party and there will be no refund. next thing we know the Ft Lauderdale police is at our door to escort us out. we mad grab all our stuff (forgetting something things who knows what ) but before we can leave the floor they have to make sure we didnt trash the room..which we didnt we aren't rockstars smashing furniture. Just a couple of girls trying to have a little fun. so getting escorted out of the hotel by the Ft. Lauderdale police was not cute at all and they waited with us while we found another hotel to go to which the only place we could find at 3:30 in the morning after calling every hotel in south florida was the Besty Hotel in South Beach. I guess lesson learned B quite or they will have you escorted out like a criminal. I feel their reaction was a bit extreme i dont want to play a race card but we all are hispanic , which i sort of feel was the reason for the over reaction. I just glad we found a new hotel at 4am and we weren't arrested for lottering which was the next step. i did get a full refund from orbitz because we spent a total of 4 hours in the room =/
HELPFUL TIP : STAY IN SOUTH BEACH IF YOU WANT TO HAVE LOUD FUN!

Room Tip: book thru their website. They don't like outside serivces booking rooms. You get treated like...
  • Stayed April 2011, traveled with friends
8 Thank IMJUSTAGIRL77
BOceanGM, General Manager at Sonesta Fort Lauderdale Beach, responded to this review, July 18, 2011
Dear IMJUSTAGIRL77,

Thank you for taking the time to share your comments about your visit in four months ago in April. I am sorry the hotel had to call the police to escort you and your friends out. We certainly do not want to be put in a position to ask any of our valuable guests to leave. While the noise issues our guests experienced when we first opened have been greatly eliminated, we do ask that our guests display appropriate digression with making noise in the early morning hours as do all hotels. I am glad that you found our property to beautiful and clean. In closing, we appreciate all of our guests here and value every reservation source that we partner with. I hope you choose to come back when you’re ready for a nice, quiet and relaxing get away.

Munster, Indiana
Reviewed July 14, 2011

If you are looking for a gorgeous hotel with the most welcoming staff, please visit the Ocean B Fort Lauderdale. Since this is a new hotel, my friends and I didn't know what to expect, aside from the pictures on the site. The pictures alone don't do it justice.....you have to see the beautiful ocean view and contemporary hotel design for yourself. The staff is very friendly and definitely not over the top. They allow you to "B" (their motto) yourself and enjoy your desired vacation. On our last day, we ate breakfast at the Bistro in the hotel. There, we were greeted by our friendly waiter, Miguel, who genuinely cared about our experience. Thanks Miguel and the Ocean B for making our experience so memorable!

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with friends
Wynyard
Reviewed July 13, 2011

Exceptional check in staff and a nice ambiance about the place.

I loved the first impression the room gave - a huge window looking out onto the beach.

Nice staff throughout. $25 for valet parking sucked but otherwise good value.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled on business
Naples, Florida
Reviewed July 11, 2011

So I picked out a Sheraton and my GF picked out this place. I went along as most men do and was very glad I did. The room was awesome and the window concept, really cool! The staff was great, pool nice, and the location was perfect! I can't wait to stay again. I have to admit the manager Stephen was a true professional and class act.

Room Tip: The room with a better view is well worth it. The window is awesome!
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple