“THIS IS NOT A 4 STAR HOTEL!!”

Sonesta Fort Lauderdale Beach
Ranked #17 of 128 Hotels in Fort Lauderdale
Gibsonia, Pennsylvania
“THIS IS NOT A 4 STAR HOTEL!!”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 16, 2011

This hotel is falsely adverstised as a 4 star hotel. It is in a shady section of town with minimal ammenites. The service was terrible. The rooms were small as were the windows, which made the view average at best. The back of the hotel looks like a run down neighborhood. I wouldn't recommend this hotel to anyone!

• Stayed May 2011, traveled with family
4 Thank RLG016
BOceanGM, General Manager at Sonesta Fort Lauderdale Beach, responded to this review, May 25, 2011
Dear RLG016,

I am disappointed to read the comments you posted on line about our lovely new hotel. I must admit that I am quite surprised to read that you did not like the view and feel your window was small. I am compelled to point out that every room in this hotel has at least one very large window and I am confident that our window size and views are the best in town. I am sorry you did not enjoy your visit and I wish you safe travels.

Regards,

Joel Darr

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (693)
  • Hebrew first
new york
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 15, 2011

From the time we arrived the friendliness of the valet to the doorman and throughout our stay we could not of asked for more. The hotel staff is wonderful, the location is breathtaking and the grounds are impeccable. We had ages 2 through 60 and everyone was very comfortable. Right on the beach for the kids and a great Bistro in the Hotel for all to enjoy. Primante Bros right next door and a modest walk to all the other hot spots on the beach. (Elbow Room, Trinas, Bubba Gumps...)

Room Tip: All rooms have ocean views (priceline 4*)
Dear fastwalker1,

Thank you so much for sharing such nice comments about B Ocean Fort Lauderdale with the TripAdvisor community. I am thrilled that my team was able to deliver an excellent experience to your diverse group. My team and I very much appreciate you choosing to stay with us and look forward to having you B Our Guest again very soon. I wish you safe and exciting travels.

mtrager
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 11, 2011

Great rooms with beautiful views, beautiful interior, crap gym and pool area which is lovely but gets crap sun. Right by beach but 1 mile walk from shops. Good value overall. However fort lauderdale is a bit of a run down dump overall. If you want something quality on cheap it's aces. If you can just stay in Miami or south beach.

• Stayed April 2011
BOceanGM, General Manager at Sonesta Fort Lauderdale Beach, responded to this review, May 12, 2011
Dear mtrager,

Thank you for taking the time to share your comments with the TripAdvisor community. I am happy to read that you enjoyed our beautiful new hotel and her stunning views. I am surprised that you were not able to take advantage of our sun exposure; perhaps the weather was overcast during your visit? We are happy to boast that our pool is located on the South side of the hotel and receives full sun every day. Next time you come to B Ocean Fort Lauderdale, I highly advise that you take the short walk East on Sunrise over the intercoastal water way to the beautiful Galleria Mall, it is much closer than a mile. My team and I are very appreciative that you chose to B Our Guest and hope you come back soon.

boston
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 10, 2011

Stayed a few days at the B in March. What I liked - the room: large in size, clean, good size and great view of the beach. The pool was small but fine, but I can not imagine if it was very busy. The restaurants service was nonexistence. I ended up eating my meals at the Atlantic and the W. If fact, the Atlantic Hotel restaurant Trina's is amazing. The lobby had a cool feel but no bar, and the changing colors happened every 30 seconds, not every few minutes giving it a manic feeling. I would call the B the W light. Walls ridiculously thin, I heard everything going on in rooms on each side and in the hall, even though I had a room at end oft the floor.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled solo
1 Thank jfhbryon
BOceanGM, General Manager at Sonesta Fort Lauderdale Beach, responded to this review, May 11, 2011
Dear jfhbryon,

My team and I appreciate you taking the time to share your review from your visit in March. I am glad to report to you that we have made a tremendous amount of progress in each of the areas you commented on. My Maintenance team has fixed the primary noise issues you experienced in your room. The Bistro staff has improved their quality of service tremendously and we have opened our Sushi restaurant to rave reviews. I truly hope you will give us another try and encourage you to contact me directly to make the arrangements. Please except my humble apology and know that my teams focus is to get better every day. I wish you safe and exciting travels.

NYC
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 9, 2011

Our stay was a real treat. The interior design is minimalistic and elegant, instilling a sense of relaxation and retreat from the moment you enter the lobby. Our sunny room on the 8th floor had a marvelous view of the beach. The decor was modern and super-comfy. Throughout the entire stay we felt pampered: at the pool, in the restaurants, at the spa and in the room. There is a lot of attention to small details and it makes the whole difference. The staff is very personable and professional, and the massage therapist is just excellent.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled with family
BOceanGM, General Manager at Sonesta Fort Lauderdale Beach, responded to this review, May 10, 2011
Dear kopyt,

My team and I very much appreciate you sharing such nice comments about B Ocean Fort Lauderdale with the TripAdvisor community. I am thrilled that you found our service, design and food to be so excellent. I am also quite happy to read that our Spa & attendant in, B Indulged, was able to make you feel pampered and special. I hope you choose to come back very soon and look forward to meeting you personally. I wish you safe and exciting travels.

Litchfield, New Hampshire
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 9, 2011

I am writing in reference to our stay at B Ocean on April 21-22. We booked our stay through priceline.com for our pre cruse accommodations. Upon arrival we were impressed with the hotel (the lobby smells incredible, what is that?). We were given our room which did not have the best view (our opinion). I called down to the lobby and we were given a room with a much better view and we were thrilled. The hotel is beautiful and I did not experience any of the noise complaints that I read about in the reviews. Clearly your “fix” fixed it! Our stay was fantastic. Breakfast each morning in the restaurant was beautiful! The view and the service were top rate. Upon leaving the hotel for our cruise we were called a taxi and taken to the pier. Once on the boat we realized that we had forgotten our hats (expensive and full of memories) in the taxi. We called the taxi company for 2 hours without any solution and we were resigned to the fact that we lost them. It then occurred to me that we just spent two fantastic nights at the B Ocean and they may be able to help us. We called the front desk and we explained to Michelle DaSilva what occurred. NO more than 5 minutes later we had the exact taxi driver that took us to the pier on the phone and he was delivering the hats to us before the ship set sail. I cannot thank you enough or sing Michelle’s praises too loud. She did not have to do anything for us. In reality it was just a couple of hats to her. But to us they were a reminder of a very special day and they meant a lot to us. Thank you so much for taking such care to hire top notch employees such as Michelle. Please pass along our gratitude to Michelle. Our next trip will not include a cruise. We have decided to spend our much earned next vacation basking on the beach of Ft. Lauderdale and resting comfortably @ B Ocean!

Dear Kimberlydenn,

Thank you so much for taking the time to share such fantastic feedback with the Trip Advisor community. I and many of our guests agree with you that Michelle is a Super Star. I have already shared your incredible story with my team and we are celebrating her actions. I am very happy that you were able to experience B Ocean and that you were able to see the improvements we have recently made to the rooms. Thank you for choosing to B Our Guest and I look forward to welcoming you back upon your next visit. Have safe and exciting travels.

Manchester, New Hampshire
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 9, 2011

The hotel was nice and I will have to say that the staff was wonderful. The staff is really what made the stay enjoyable. The bartender outside (Micheal) was great and fun and we enjoyed talking to him. The bar back (David) also was great, he was really funny and it made the cloudy/rainy days go by faster. The hotel was clean and we had a nice view of the ocean and street. The bed was really comfortable, and one of the most comfortable beds I slept on. The restaurant food was good, but pricey. Be prepared to spend a lot for dinner, if you are also having drinks your bill is costly. They have a nice Sushi restaurant Saia, that we went to twice and it was good, but pricey. B'Stro was also a bit pricey, but the waiter was very nice. Location wise, it was good, the mall was down the street you can walk there. There is a center that you need to cab ride. On Bookit website where we booked our hotel on does say it includes a Free Area Shuttle (within 2 miles) and also when we called the woman at the front desk said there is a shuttle. However when we got there, there was no such service, which was a disappointment. The cab ride was around $10-12 each way to go to the downtown Las Olas area, which I thought was a bit pricey and would of been nice to have the shuttle. Also, when you go to the beach which is just across the street, you have to rent your chairs, cushions and umbrella. Which is pricey. $10 for the chair, $15 with chair and cushion and then $20 for an umbrella. I feel like that since B Hotel is called B Hotel and Resort, they should have provided a "resort" like atmosphere, like chair service on the beach, and food and drink service on the beach, as well as towel service at the pool, which they don't really do. They do provide towels poolside, that you get yourself and people do not pick up after themselves though, and leave towels everywhere, so me and my husband had to pick up other people's towels and move them so we could sit. There is a pizza place next door though and also 2 beach stores where you can rent chairs and umbrellas for $3 a day, which is a better price.

The hotel is not kid friendly either. I wouldn't stay here with children. There isn't a children menu, except for the outside bar menu which isn't great, a grill cheese and some chicken nuggets. They also need some consistency with the Quench (outside bar ) menu. One day we ordered the "Refreshing" which was really nice in presentation and delicious, the second day I ordered it again, and it was completely different, which the wrong dressing. The pool itself is small and the area is small, not great for kids to be swimming at, especially if you do not want to be around kids and they take over the whole pool area, which they did on some days we were there. But you do have the beach across the street.

Also, on the website and on Bookit, it says free WiFi access, however you have to register to use it, what they don't tell you, is that when you register there are different options, which you actually have to pay for from $5-20 dollars depending on how much you would use, it defaults to the $5 dollar option, when it should default to the Free option, so I had to call the front desk and get the charge taken off, but they didn't question and were nice to remove. But I think that is pretty sneaky. But they do provide an iPod/iPhone dock charger in our, which was nice.

Overall nice stay and would recommend. There are other activities around that you can do, like take a water taxi, parasailing, but we didn't do much of that.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple