“Not 4 star quality, but good location and food”

Sonesta Fort Lauderdale Beach
Ranked #15 of 128 Hotels in Fort Lauderdale
Temple, Texas
“Not 4 star quality, but good location and food”
Reviewed April 24, 2011

This hotel is nice, clean and has contemporary feel. Not exactly The W Hotel or Trump, but they are trying. Lots of white paint to cover up what feels like old hotel. Location is great! You can walk right across the A1A to the beach, all rooms have an ocean view and big comfy beds. A/C seemed to be hit or miss though. For the ladies....shave your legs before you arrive. They only have showers with a half glass door, no door that actually closes and its a pain and quite drafty to shave in that shower. A man must have designed these rooms, very few plugs and no place to "get ready" (makeup, hair, etc) Be prepared to stand over the small sink with your hairdryer...safe huh?!
The staff here was all very friendly and helpful. Manager was very nice in the BIstro, we had to wait a very long time for our food so he gave it to us "on the house". Breakfast buffet and their sandwiches in the Bistro are very very tasty. The SAIA restaurant is phenomenal.....great sushi.
We cared more to be at the beach than stay in the hotel, so this worked for us. Close the the galleria, restaurants and other shopping.
No coffee pot or refrigerator in rooms, we stayed on the 3rd floor and had to go up to the 4th for ice/vending machine....inconvenient.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled on business
BOceanGM, General Manager at Sonesta Fort Lauderdale Beach, responded to this review, April 25, 2011
Dear cgiles11,

My team and I appreciate you taking the time to share your comments with the TripAdvisor community. I am glad you were able to enjoy our facilities and services. Please note that we do have an inventory of rooms that have bath tubs, please let us know this request next time you make a reservation and we will ensure you get it. I trust the weather was perfect while you were with us and that you were able to B Tanned on our beautiful beach. I wish you and your travel partners safe and exciting travels.

Joel Darr

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (703)
  • Hebrew first
Carlisle, Pa
Reviewed April 23, 2011

We are reviewing the restaurant - B'stro - which we found to be a breath of fresh air in terms of service and staff and beyond wonderful in terms of food.
Staff: not only are they warm, real, and friendly, they are also attentive, prompt and efficient. In other words, professional as well as personable.
Food: Outstanding! As guests of the B hotel, we have eaten breakfast and dinner in B'stro. We chose the breakfast buffet - & that included included a beautiful array of fresh fruit and yogurt, generously cut hash browns that have a nice kick! - and some really good coffee (which we consider to be key when it comes to breakfast).
We skipped the yummy looking breads as it's Passover, but they looked good!

Dinner: Wow. Our server knew a lot about the menu and obviously took great pride in the fact that we at everything but our plates. We ate the Salmon and the Baramundi - both were perfect! AND we purchased a card gave us access to a large and very good selection of wines - one can either choose a taste, a half or a full glass and the cost is deductedf from the card! It's great fun, as well! We noticed another party ordering the cheese plate and doing the wine thing - that looked fun, too!

Long review, I know. Last comment - our servers were Aimee - at breakfast and Lili, at dinner. Thank you both for helping my husband and I have a wonderful vacation. Food can be great in a restaurant but for us, if the servers are not up to par the experience can be spoiled. You all make the experience really shine. Many thanks.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled on business
Dear rem30,

Thank you for taking the time to post your review of B'stro on the Beach with the TripAdvisor community. I am thrilled to read how much you enjoyed the food in all meal periods as well as Aimee and Lili’s service skills. I will share your comments with my team and celebrate them appropriately. Thank you for choosing to B Nourished with us at B'stro on the Beach and please come back soon.

Reviewed April 22, 2011

My 3 friends and I just returned from a 4 night stay at this hotel. It was an amazing experience. This was our 5 trip to fort lauderdale and this was the best hotel we have stayed in yet. The staff was so helpful, friendly and welcoming. The lobby was trendy and bright. The rooms were clean and well decorated. the pool is small but it was nice. The only negative comment I have is the price of food and drinks. Breakfast was delicious although very pricey. Luclily the hotel is located in a great spot where there are some inexpensive and yummy dining options within blocks. The pool area could have a bit more shade. Overall this hotel was clean, trendy, and inexpensive. The staff was awesome and I absolutely would return.

• Stayed April 2011
Dear Msnun20,

I very much appreciate you taking the time to share such nice comments about B Ocean with the TripAdvisor community. I am thrilled to read that my service staff was able to exceed your expectations. I am so happy that you have made B Ocean Fort Lauderdale your hotel of choice and invite you to contact me personally when you come back so I may meet you and say hello. I look forward to sharing your comments with my team and to celebrate their efforts. Thank you for choosing to B Our Guest and I wish you safe and exciting travels.

Crofton, Maryland
Reviewed April 22, 2011

This hotel was very nice. At first glance, you think it's your typical larger chain-type hotel, but once you enter the lobby, you see it's not. It is down the strip (at least 1/2 mile) from where all the "action" is (which was fine with us). It is within walking distance of restaurants, etc.., and just across from the beach. We had an end room facing the ocean so we had view on 2 sides (very beautiful). Parking is non-existent (except for hotel valet at ~$25.00/day). The staff was friendly; the room was good-sized and the bed was very comfortable. We highly recommend it and would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
Dear Diana050_11,

My team and I appreciate you taking the time out of your day to share your amazing comments about B Ocean Ft. Lauderdale with the TripAdvisor community. I am happy to read that you enjoyed our perfect location and were able to enjoy the Stunning King Corner room and its great views. We appreciate you choosing to B Our Guest and I hope to have the chance to welcome you back very soon. I wish you safe and exciting travels.

Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed April 21, 2011

I took my teenage daughter to Ft. Lauderdale for Spring Break and we picked the perfect hotel! It was fun, modern, and sparkling clean. An extremely attentive staff that catered to all of our needs. The beds were out of this world comfortable. And just a short walk to the best restaurants and shopping in Fort Lauderdale. Lovely all around.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled with family
Dear Olivia28970,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience at B Ocean Fort Lauderdale with the TripAdvisor community. I am thrilled that you enjoyed our Blissful Beds and our warm, approachable service. I hope I had a chance to meet you personally and look forward to welcoming you back to B Our Guest again very soon. I wish you and your daughter safe and exciting travels.

sufffolk new york
Reviewed April 21, 2011

My husband and I traveled for our 25th. 6 nights at the B Ocean.
Tiffany at the front desk was pleasant, friendly and very helpful. She listened to what I asked for and delivered it, big time, she is awesome. Nick, always asking us how we were doing and if he could do anything to make our stay better.. Joseph and Amy ( night shift) very helpful ( good luck Amy you will be great at your new job at the B Ocean)
Our room was immaculate. All white linens and decor. Juquinta kept our room white glove, and she was always smiling.
Tommy, head of housekeeping is one of the nicest people we met. He loves his job.
Cody in the bistro was quick to bring our food, he is a great waiter. Jill at the pool bar made me the best strawberry daiquris I ever had.
What makes B Ocean different from other hotels is the staff. All the staff we met loves their job. That made the difference for us. We will stay again and tell our friends and family
B Ocean is steps to the beach. A a short cab ride to great restaurants.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
Dear odiemom,

Wow, that is a review I like to read! Thank you so very much for taking the time to personalize your feedback about so many great crew members of our team at B Ocean. I will use this review in my all staff meeting this month and celebrate all of our stars appropriately. I hope to be able to welcome you back very soon and thank you again for choosing to B Our Guest.

Fort Lauderdale, Florida
Reviewed April 21, 2011

My daughter and I needed to getaway for a few days and we won B Ocean on Priceline. It was a last minute adventure. We normally plan ahead but have not been able to leave town recently because of my job and we just wanted to go to the beach for a few days of R &R. What a wonderful surprise experience we had when we arrived at B Ocean. From the time we checked in the staff was wonderful. Our room was incredible. Right across the street from the Beach.It was clean and very modern. The view was spectacular. We also visited both restaurants on the property and the food and service were 5 star. I can't wait until we can take a few more days off. It is our new escape destination.

Room Tip: Request a