“We'll B'Back...Great Experience”

Ranked #16 of 128 Hotels in Fort Lauderdale
Cincinnati, Oh
“We'll B'Back...Great Experience”
Reviewed March 14, 2011

I had a wonderful stay at the B Ocean Hotel the weekend of the 5th-8th. Steven, Joseph and Jason greeted us at registration and were very helpful and attentive to any needs we may have had.

It was a Girl's Getaway. 3 of us shared a nicely appointed bedroom with 2 doubles. With 3 women though, the pretty picture above the dresser could be replaced with a nice mirror. The beds were very comfortable and the space was adequate for our group and we didn't feel cramped. The view was awesome!! It couldn't get any better. I loved waking up to the beautiful view of the ocean. We didn't have any problems with the pool area. It felt chic and personal. There were plenty of lounge chairs and 3 to 4 cabanas and a bar. We went to the pool at night. Nice lighting around the pool but felt there could have been lights inside the pool itself. It was appropriately heated which made it very comfortable.

I liked the area around the hotel also. We visited the ice cream and T-shirt shops and one in my party got a tattoo by Lucky G. We felt the location was close to just about everything we wanted to do.(the Water Taxi, The Galleria Mall , Frank and Vinny's restaurant, etc.) We also found the location close to major highways and streets that could get you just about anywhere. We found getting to South Beach, American Airlines Arena (for a Miami Heat game), Hollywood Hard Rock Casino and the Airport very accessible from the hotel. Tommy gave us great recommendations as well as Omar who also assisted with a smooth checkout.

The service was superb. My husband is a travel agent and he will recommend the hotel to his customers as well as family members and friends from Ohio that come to the area. We were overall very pleased and we will B' Back with more family :-) Joel, thanks to your wonderful staff for making our stay very special! Can't say enough about the customer service.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled with family
BOceanGM, Owner at Sonesta Fort Lauderdale Beach, responded to this review, March 15, 2011
Dear adelta,

My team and I very much appreciate you taking the time to share your wonderful comments with the TripAdvisor community. I am thrilled that you and the girls had a great time with us at B Ocean Fort Lauderdale. I will share your comments with each team member as they all truly deserve the recognition. I enjoyed meeting your group and look forward to welcoming you back very soon. We appreciate you choosing to B Our Guest.

Joel Darr

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (708)
  • Hebrew first
Concord, North Carolina
Reviewed March 13, 2011

Husband and I just returned from a 2 night stay at the B Hotel in Fort Lauderdale. It was amazing. The rooms are beautiful. The views awesome and the customer service over the top. Very eager to please. Highly recommend this location.

• Stayed March 2011
BOceanGM, Owner at Sonesta Fort Lauderdale Beach, responded to this review, March 14, 2011
Dear Okeeweemee,

My team and I are very appreciative of you taking the time to share such nice comments with the TripAdvisor community. It is wonderful to read that our guests notice our efforts to B great. Thank you for choosing to B Our Guest, my team and I look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Reviewed March 12, 2011

The place looks very impressive with a neat lighting fixture in the lobby and the lobby smelling wonderful.  The pool is nice also and there is some unique seating and lounging chairs and couches.   The B'stro had excellent food and good service.  The front lobby staff were not as friendly and although I didn't have any specific complaint I just got the feeling I was "just a number" so to speak.  The rooms are very attractive and comfortable, spotless clean.  You need to go out of your way to not get charged extra though. They don't have a mini bar but rather just put a big box of goodies right on the table and charge $5 for things consumed like 20 ounce bottles of water and small bags of chips and a cute little stuffed turtle on the bed(keep it for $30). Valet parking is required at $25 a day... Which sucks but isn't horrible considering parking is expensive everywhere.  Overall a good experience but not a 4 star experience.  The staff should focus more on the individual customers experience. Cleanliness and style are real strong points of this hotel though.  It's very unique. I may have been more impressed had we not spent a night at the Westin Diplomat a night before and they treated us like royalty, the room had a jet tub and we got a cheaper rate the. "B Ocean"

• Stayed March 2011
Reviewed March 12, 2011

B Ocean is a new contemporary hotel....Great location with very friendly staff...Very nicely decorated from the lobby to the rooms...bathroom was very cool with a rain shower..the ocean view from our room was gorgeous.....all bells and whistles in the room were nice...the only complaint I have is the air conditioner was a bit noisy...maintenance came and did quiet it down a bit....the light coming in around the door was bright but still had a nice time and liked the hotel a lot........

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank RobertH10
BOceanGM, General Manager at Sonesta Fort Lauderdale Beach, responded to this review, March 14, 2011
Dear RobertH10,

Thank you so much for sharing your comments with the TripAdvisor community. I am thrilled that you found our service and design to be excellent. My team and I are working hard to make sure all of our improvement areas are resolved as efficiently as possible. I look forward to welcoming you back soon. Thank you for choosing to B Our Guest.

Knoxville, Tennessee
Reviewed March 12, 2011

'I've traveled for years and have stayed in all types of hotels, and this is the only time I've written a review good or bad. Avoid this hotel! I was delayed on my flight and called the "B" for two hours to hold the room for a late check-in, but the call was never answered. There was no voice mail nor transfer, just ringing off the hook. When I arrived, the valet attendant took my keys, and showed me to the front desk, but nobody was there. The valet thought that he must be in the men's room and went looking for him. Twenty-five minutes later I was still standing at the front desk listening to the phone ring off the hook. Then, the elevator opened and a smiling young man welcomed me to the"B". He said he hoped I wasn't waiting long and I said that I had been. He apologized and said that he was the only one working that shift and that he was the check-in clerk, maintainance man, and room service. I told him the phones were ringing off the hook, and instead of checking me in, he excused himself and took the next call! I waited another five minutes while he listened to a complaint and said there wasn't anything he could do, since he was the only one working. When I was walking to the elevator, he told me to call him if I need room service, and he would personally take care of it. It took me thirty minutes to check-in, the phones weren't answered, complaints weren't dealt with, and the only employee at the "B" guaranteed me personal service! The room was small and the bed was uncomfortable with ill-fitting sheets, and in the shower the next morning I discovered there was no soap anywhere. This hotel is filthy and should be avoided at all cost.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled on business
6 Thank RobDefabbo
Dear RobDefabbo,

First of all, thank you for taking the time to post your review on Trip Advisor. I am sincerely sorry that your arrival experience was poor. I take full responsibility for this service failure, it is my job to provide support to my team so they may exceed your expectations. I have spoken with my Night Auditor and he has assured me that your experience was an anomaly. If you choose to give us another try, you will see that the overnight team is fully staffed to the appropriate volume. I am also very sorry that you did not find your bed comfortable or the room clean. I have received nothing but positive comments regarding both. My team and I embrace both positive and constructive feedback and commit to you that we will use for comments to improve. I wish you safe and exciting travels.

New Jersey
Reviewed March 11, 2011

I needed to be i the South Florida area for a quick business meeting and then a few days of relaxation with my wife. Although we have been in this area a million times we never know where to say without looking around for a while. My wife found the B Ocean online and we checked out the reviews on Trip Advisor. Even though there were some negatives and a few things that didn't seem all that appealing (small pool and gym, etc) we decided to take a chance on this place and were thrilled from the moment we got here.

First of all, I cant even count the number of people that welcomed us upon our arrival. They have obviously made a concerted effort to be as friendly and welcoming as possible to their guests. Everyone went out of their way to check us in properly, make dinner reservations and anything else we wanted.

As you probably know, this is a recently opened place in a former Holiday Inn. Somebody in a previous review mentioned it's a HI with a paint job. That's the farthest from the truth. If you didn't know the history you would never know. It's very modern and contemporary and brand new. The lobby is small but new and comfortable and ultra modern. It is surrounded by two restaurants on each side and the a small, very heated pool in the back with a small bar.

We found the sleeping room very nice with a nice big bed, big tv, small but modern bathroom, plenty of space for clothes and a nice large desk. What else could you want as you look out your window right on the ocean?

On the night we arrived they opened the sushi restaurant for guests only. Nice place, innovative drink menu, but I thought the food was just average unfortunately and the service weird. It's a "sharing" concept so they bring the food as it is prepared which is cool even though my wife doesnt eat the same stuff I do, but all of a sudden it got brutally slow while waiting for the last cooked entries. No bigee, they took it off the bill and only charged us for one drink. Once they work out the kinks the service will probably be more efficient.

For breakfast room service the first morning, we left the order out the night before and it came as we requested the next morning but was missing one entree. Nobody answered at room service so i went down to the front desk and they immediatley took it off the bill. Sure, slightly annoying but mistakes happen and it was quickly rectified.

Yes, we could hear the pitter patter of little feet above us but nothing next door. We were awakened every few hours from 2am to 6am by spring breakers congregating by the elevators but i was too tired to tell them to shut up. Finally at around 6 someone from the hotel told them to get lost.

Behind the hotel some may find it slightly seedy. There are a number of bars and 3 tattoo shops along with a convenience store near by, and an ice cream store. I liked the fact that we could walk back there and have a quick drink or get a paper or something. You are in the middle of Commerical Blvd and Los Alos so everything else is close.

All in all, great place. We really liked it. Close, convenient, comfortable, cute, trendy, friendly, etc. Stay here!

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
BOceanGM, General Manager at Sonesta Fort Lauderdale Beach, responded to this review, March 12, 2011
Dear rockface67,

My team and I very much appreciate you taking the time to share your comments with the TripAdvisor community. By looking at your profile, you travel a lot, so you obviously know what you are talking about. I am very happy to read that our efforts to greet every guest every time is being noticed. Our core value is to make our every guest feel welcomed and B appreciated. I will be sure to share your constructive comments with my team to ensure they improve on the need areas. Thank you so much for choosing to B Our Guest and I look forward to welcoming you back soon.

NY
Reviewed March 11, 2011

We stayed at the B for one night pre cruise and thought it was great. The view from the rooms on the upper floors is fantastic. We stayed at this hotel when it was the Holiday Inn and have watched its transformation when we visited the area. The location next to the Galleria Mall with several restaurants to choose from was perfect. Thanks to Tiffany for the coupon for a free flat bread at Season 52. She was also helpful in switching our room to an upper floor. Tommy - you really should be a cruise director.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
Dear kptbylor,

Thank you so much for sharing your comments with the TripAdvisor community. I am very happy that you found our views and facilities to B excellent. I am ecstatic that Tiffany and Tommy were able to show you such great service and I agree, they both would B terrific cruise directors. Unfortunately for the cruise lines, they are mine and I have big plans for them both. I hope you choose to stay with us again soon and thank you for choosing to B Our Guest.