Tripadvisor
Fort Lauderdale

“Such potential but such disappointment”

Black Rock Bar & Grill
Ranked #593 of 1,444 Restaurants in Fort Lauderdale
Reviewed January 20, 2020

The theory sounds great but the practicality needs a rethink. My first visit here (it opened in April last year) and there were too many 'wrong' things:
1. the restaurant was cold and even the hostess said 'it was always cold but they were trying to fix it.'
2. if you serve a medium rare steak on a 755 degree stone it's not going to stay that way for long.
3. hot fries served on a cold plate just get colder.
4. ditto the asparagus.

Can't fault the service - very enthusiastic and friendly. And the house salad was great... you can tell I'm looking hard for things to be positive about!

But if this place wants to raise its game from gimmick (stone cooking) to generally good food then there need to be some changes:
1. bring a (hot) plate so I can take my steak off the stone and cook it as I need to. Or brng the hot stone and let me do the cooking from the get go.
2. shrimp do not need to sizzle for long - so ditto the plate. I ended up with lumps of chewy rubber.

It's a cavernous venue... and in high season in South Florida it was surprising to see it so empty. So perhaps I'm not the only disgruntled diner.

I nearly ordered a burger... and wish I had. Although cold plates/hot fries may still have been a problem...

Date of visit: January 2020
Write a reviewReviews (56)

Reviewed December 30, 2019 via mobile

Well was here at the grand opening and all went very well.
Came a few times after for lunch and was good then.
Dinner tonight, well, the food was good, ordered the duo, steak n shrimp.
The shrimp was suppose to be jumbo, if they were jumbo, I'd hate to see the small shrimp!
The filet was good and tender.
They were out of baked potatoes so subbed out for 4 scrawny asparaguses.
The waiter was not attentive to the table and was missing in action for a long time and failed at bring the sauces that were requested when we placed the order.
So, don't be in a rush when eating here.

Date of visit: December 2019
Reviewed December 30, 2019 via mobile

Me and bestie went out to see what the hype was all about at this restaurant. Well, I must say from the arrival, great customer service, and delicious food and drinks I give this place a five star. I had a ribeye and my friend has the sirloin this was definitely different cooking my own steak on a 775 degree lava rock not to miss out on the creamed corn and Mac and cheese delicious. The magic potion drink was amazing. Our server was awesome and very knowledgeable. Manager came by to see if we were ok or needed anything.

Date of visit: October 2019
Reviewed November 20, 2019 via mobile

A friend invited us to join her there. We did not know the restaurant by name so I looked it up on the web, and was so thrilled to see it was a steak house where you do the cooking yourself on a very hot pummice rock... We had been to such a place in Adelaide Australia before and had really enjoyed it.
Well, we enjoyed it just as well in Fort Lauderdale! And, the rocks are from Australia...
I could not decide so I chose the steak wars, and preferred the manhattan.... but both steaks pieces were great...
And if your rock gets not hot enough, they will change it for you!
The service was okay, the manager came and had a chat with us to see how we liked our meal... we had fun showing him the picture of us eating a steak on a hot rock in Australia exactly a year ago.....
Then we had dessert.... one tip, have it for 4.... we had the apple crumble... it was fabulous.... served in a hot cast iron plate... with ice cream on the side so it stayed cold... and the brownie....
All in all a fabulous meal. We will most assuredly go back

Date of visit: November 2019
Reviewed November 17, 2019 via mobile

First time visiting & I had a great time, The service was good , we were greeted with a smile and were seated right away .. I tried the lobster bisque which was delicious

Date of visit: November 2019