“Walk or drive right on by. Do not let the BBQ smell fool you”
Review of Texas Hold 'Em BBQ - CLOSED

Texas Hold 'Em BBQ
Cuisines: Barbecue
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Sunrise Blvd
Description: We embody all styles of BBQ our exclusive ingredients and preparation techniques that give our BBQ a flavor all of its own. Come taste the very best BBQ Fort Lauderdale has to offer!
ft lauderdale fl
“Walk or drive right on by. Do not let the BBQ smell fool you”
Reviewed May 11, 2013

After several great newspaper reviews, we decided to try this restaurant for lunch. It was a great disappointed. The place was empty. Upon entering a waitress who was running around madly said to sit anyplace. So we chose a 2 person table. The building is an old place and I mean old that has had restaurants in and out like a revolving door. The AC blew directly on us, the tables wobbled along with the chairs. There were old dirty black paper that looked like toilet paper stuck under the chairs. Everything continued to wobble. Tomato like globs and streaks were on the floor. The place was in need of improvement.
I was given a copy of the menu. My husband got a standard menu. Hot drinks such as tea/coffee were not available. We ordered the ribs with 2 sides. The coleslaw and potato salad were the best. Forget the bake beans--did not taste or looked as if the beans were baked. The ribs were moist but fatty. Taste was at best OK. The barbeque sauce taste was uncomplimentary . Sauce serving size meager. Overall the food was very disappointing. I would not return again. How could these newspapers be so off. Now the waitress, she was an unpleasant trip. After being served water, this waitress requested we move to another table to accommodate a party of 5 men. I did not like this and resisted but the waitress insisted by starting to move the glasses etc. as well as verbally carrying on. She seemed totally clueless as to what she requested. So we moved. To me this is an absolute no no. She was more interested in satisfying her following. Overall the experience was not worth my time, my money or my hunger. The restaurant is located off of North Federal Hwy. Few parking places exist. It does accommodate boats dockside. There are many restaurants in this area with some having ribs on their menu that are way better. My prediction is this place will soon be another in and outer at this location.

• Visited May 2013
1 Thank joalder

Fort Lauderdale, Florida
“An insult to Texas”
Reviewed April 30, 2013

I had dinner here Saturday night (they are at ANOTHER new location - they keep closing and reopening) and was very disappointed. They just had a write up in the paper and the place was packed, which I thought was encouraging. We sat at the bar so we would not have to wait at a table because the new place is very, very small.

Right away, there was drama between the owner and a waitress-she had an attitude and he spoke to her about it-in front of all of us at the bar!. The owner ran from the front greeting people, to preparing orders in the kitchen, to running food and then out back to cook the food on the smoker. He needs to pick one place and stary there because each area was lacking!

None of this would have mattered if the food was good, but it was truly AWFUL. The baby back ribs did not resemble traditional baby backs and tasted like rubber...I don't know what the heck they were! The pulled pork and brisket were smoked so much they were dried clumps of meat with no flavor. The plates came with a small cup of BBQ sauce (about an ounce) and when we asked for more they told us there would be a charge!!!!! A BBQ JOINT THAT CHARGES FOR BBQ SAUCE? I never heard of anything so ridiculous! When I go to the pancake place they don't charge for syrup!!

Anyway, this place was a HUGE disappointment and I have a feeling that they won't stay in this location long either....Be careful where they surface next! I will not go back and will not recommend to anyone! So disappointed!!!!

• Visited April 2013
1 Thank rmare1013
Chicago, Illinois
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Best Bar B Que I've had in a long time.”
Reviewed April 26, 2013

While recently visiting ft lauderdale on business, my brother and I were driving down US1 near the corner of NE 26th and couldn't help being drawn over by the smell of fire smoked meats that seem to permeate the entire neighborhood. Well once we found out where the heavenly aroma was coming from we made a u turn and quickly drove into the parking lot of this place. Upon entering, the place was clean and neat, the staff was extremely pleasant. The food was delicious. We both had the chicken and rib tips combo platter with collard greens and potato salad. The white meat chicken was extremely juicy, the rib tips were well smoked, well seasoned and tender to the bone and the sauce, well the sauce just made every thing even better. Now if your mouth isn't watering yet, imagine a buttery golden brown corn muffin that smells almost like short bread fresh and hot out of the oven. If you are in south Florida and want great barbecue that is truly comfort food.... Run don't walk to texas Hold em on us . You will not be disappointed.

• Visited April 2013
Wilton Manors, Florida
“Wish it had been better”
Reviewed December 10, 2012

Well, I would love to give more than 3 stars. I have been to this location a number of times and this was the worst of any of those visits. Not sure what is going on with them. I just saw that the downtown location was closed. Arrived on a Saturday night at 7:15 and the place was basically empty. Wow.

Ordered pulled pork and brisket combo. The pork was pretty good, but the brisket was pretty dry and not all that tasty. Side of mac and cheese and fries. Fries were standard and mac and cheese was decent.

Portions were less than any other visit as well.

Service was fine, except that she got my friend's order wrong, but ended up bringing his ribs.

Broken urinal in the men's room and it looked like it had been that way for awhile

I wish this place well, the food was excellent when they first opened, but I wonder if this really is a cursed location.

• Visited December 2012
New Canaan, Connecticut
“Best Texas BBQ in South Florida”
Reviewed November 25, 2012

Evert region has it's own style of BBQ. Texas is best known for it's beef brisket. Texas Hold 'Em brings all the great flavors of real Texas BBQ to south Florida. A casual panhandle atmosphere, combined with great service and a full bar makes this a perfect place for a more than you can finish lunch or dinner. Prices are quite reasonable and after four visits to work our way thru the menu, we could not find anything we did not like and would not recommend. There are other BBQs around featuring other versions of this great cuisine but this is the real deal and well worth a visit.

• Visited November 2012