“Great food and service”

Boston, Massachusetts
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Great food and service”
Reviewed January 14, 2013

Great service at the bar. Tom the bartender has a million jokes and keeps you entertained while providing excellent service. The food is great too.

Visited January 2013

Fort Lauderdale, Florida
“Extremely disappointing”
Reviewed January 12, 2013

It has been years since I have been to J Alexander's so I was looking forward to this visit. How disappointing! I was dining with one other person. The hostess sat us in the bar area in a large half-round booth that was clearly meant for more than two people. She never asked if the bar area would be acceptable to us. It was loud and very difficult to communicate in the awkward booth. I noticed another couple who were given the adjacent booth get up and go back to the hostess to be moved elsewhere. The server was one of the least professional I have encountered. She motioned with her hand to a small stack of menus and said " the specials and wine list are there, can I star you with something to drink?". I ordered a Pinot Grigio. Later I saw that there are two options of Pinot Grigio by the glass. The server never bothered to ask which one I would prefer. She served the less expensive one. She then came back with the drinks and asked if we wanted an appetizer or salad or something. We declined so she walked away. We were ready to order entrees but waited patiently for her return. I ordered the steak brazzo. $29 for what turned out to be 4 pieces of dried up beef, three pieces of mushroom, and what appeared to be about a pound of mashed potatoes. It was horrible. I nibbled at it anyway as our server never returned to our table the entire time we were eating. She passed by multiple times but never stopped. I was surprised that they have done away with bread service as I recall that I liked the bread when I dined there years ago. When I was finished a busser came by and grabbed my plate. Unfortunately he also grabbed the plate of my dining companion and lifted it off the table. I had to ask hm to put it back since my dining companion was still chewing and could not speak for himself. There was still a healthy portion of his entree on the plate. After our plates had been cleared away and my wine glass had been sitting empty since the first bite of my meal, the server decided to wander by to ask if we wanted more wine, coffee or dessert or anything. No description of dessert. No dessert menu. No apparent interest in whether or not we enjoyed the meal.

The restaurant was busy when we dined. The reviews on this site appear very positive. Perhaps we just had a very bad experience which may not be the norm. Nonetheless, I will never return. You can see from my other reviews on this site that I usually love the restaurants I visit and have great experiences. I hope that if you do go there that you have a better experience and hopefully do not get server #1008.

• Visited January 2013
“Great wine and great service”
Reviewed January 7, 2013

We were taken by some friends that live in Fl, the food was very good as well as the service.the architecture on the ceiling of the restaurant is very unique

Maine
“Can't wait to go back”
Reviewed January 3, 2013

Food was wonderful, service was outstanding, loved the lighting in our booth. After eating out for 8 nights straight, during our vacation ... this was our favorite place, can't wait to return.

• Visited March 2012
Tampa, Florida
“Consistently good”
Reviewed January 2, 2013

Have eaten here many times. On last visit (last week) My party ordered the spinich artichoke dip with chips, The Alex salad, pork tenderloin (bang bang), Steak Maui, and carrot cake for dessert. All were excellent--as was the service!

• Visited December 2012