“Great, Bad Management”

Ramada Plaza Fort Lauderdale
Ranked #114 of 127 Hotels in Fort Lauderdale
Reviewed May 24, 2007

This place is really amazing, I like that there is a Cvs pharmacy right there,and a Farmer's market, and a lot of great take out options, I really like those massage chairs in the lobby and the fact that there is a beauty Salon inhouse is spectacular. But during my visit there the Manager was very rude and to me and my entourage, I did not get her name but she has an accent and she is of african decent. I had to take a lot of business calls and she kept telling my callers that they were calling too much and when I enquired she blew up on me and said she woul have me thrown out and She'd call the cops. I wish I had gotton her name because this is a great hotel and she has a very unprofessional manner. I hope some one in authority can check up on this.I stayed there in May for one and a half weeks.But all in all this is a great resort.

Stayed: May 2007
5  Thank kokonutCaribbean

Reviewed April 20, 2007

We arrived at the Hotel, honestly, not knowing how it was going to be(based on the comments posted here). It's not at all as bad as other people say. The rooms as clean, comfortable beds and a decent and clean bathroom. Sure, it can use some more work, but let's be serious it's not a 4 or 5 star Hotel but it is nice enough.
The pool area is very nice and the Tiki bar apparently does open but only when there is sufficient people.
It is true what some people say about the elevators, they don't work very well.
It is quite and you CAN relax staying at this Hotel.
Interesting it is really not in Fort Lauderdale is closer to Tamarac, Florida. The beach is about 6-7 miles away.
Staff is friendly and willing to help.
The restaurant serves good food and it is very affordable.
Downside is that even though nothing bad happened to us, it does not inspire too much sense of security.

Stayed: April 2007
3  Thank TravelerCR51
Reviewed April 19, 2007

Ft Lauderdale-Nassau-Orlando Trip

Well, needless to say, we were worried after reading all the negative comments about this trip. There must be 3 or 4 bad reviews to every 1 good review.

I don't know what people expected, but for the price we paid, about $400, it was well worth the 4 nights hotel stay, and a 2 night cruise, and a one week car rental! That's a travel deal folks! I challenge you to do better!

We had 2 nights in Ft Lauderdale, 2 on the Regal Empress cruise ship to Nassau, Bahamas, and 2 nights in Orlando.

Our rooms at both Ramada's were clean and we never saw a bug or experienced anything dirty or nasty. Both hotels are in the process of updates, and redos, and this is understandable with the heavy use that the hotels in Florida receive year around. Both pool areas were clean and plent y of chairs and loungers available. Also, the bars were close by to obtain a cold adult beverage!

The staff at both hotels were very friendly and accomodated almost every request we made, within reason. No smoking rooms, king size beds. Clean sheets, clean floors, clean bathrooms, nice towels. The breakfast buffet meal at the Ft Lauderdale location was very good! The breakfast in Orlando was the same foods, but tasteless, and uninviting. It is all in the presentation, and the cooks, and the set-up people. I am sure it was the same food, just prepared by different cooks. That makes a HUGE difference. Otherwise, well worth the price of about $7.00 per person for a huge breakfast!

The timeshare folks were sort of pushy, but not terribly, but of course tried everything to get us to buy - we have no interest in owning a timeshare and made it VERY clear from the introduction and get-go. An African- American sales woman did insult us (and her employers) terribly, by telling us that we were staying at the dumpiest hotel in Ft Lauderdale, and she would upgrade us, if we would buy. Ha! What an expensive 2nd night that would have been! And SHE WORKS for this company that set us up in the DUMPY hotel????? I complained to management, I hope she is no longer employed. Otherwise, the condo pitch only took about 2 hours of our time.

The cruise on the Regal Empress was absolutley wonderful! We ate all our meals in the main dining room on board the ship, and the food and service were top notch - absolute perfection!

We spend one week on a Carnival cruise in 2005, and this little 2 nighter beat that trip all to pieces! I do not recommend this boat or trip for children, they would be bored.

The Regal Empress is an older cruise ship, but has real class! (If you can understand that nothing stays very nice for very long when constantly exposed to Salt Water. It's a constant battle to fight the sea!) The rooms were typical cruise line size and layout, I don't care how new the boat is, a boat is a boat, so get real and acknowledge this, relax and enjoy yourself, or don't cruise! Also, we spend very little time in any hotel room on any trip, we are always on the go! (I can lay in bed and watch cable tv on the big screen at home!) Maybe we aren't too picky about the room other than clean, neat, comfortable bed, clean working plumbing in the bathrooms, and safe! I loved this boat so much compared to a monger cruiser, that I wish I could go on this boat for a longer cruise next time! The staff were wonderful, the bar drinks were awesome, generous servings of food and drinks, great value for the prices, and everyone was friendly as can be, and more than accomodating to us! We would definitely recommend this little 2 night cruise to anyone who wants to taste a short cruise before going on a longer one. We were not too happy with the Carnival 1 week mexico cruise because we spent too much time at sea, (almost 3 days total), doing nothing, and feeling trapped on the boat. This little short trip was just perfect! Next cruise we take will not involve any long lengths of travel time at sea. This trip was perfect for us! Definitely will try and do it again! Had a blast exploring Nassau, we did a Frommer's walking tour of the city right outside Port George during the morning hours, ate lunch back on board the ship in the dining room, then spent the afternoon over at the Atlantis hotels and beach area, we loved it. Found a great little island bar over there, nestled in a condo group, forgot the anme, but it has been there for over 50 years, and it was great too! Also, I want to add that we met several couples, of various ages on this short cruise, and we all had a marvelous time, hanging aroundon the decks together, eating our mealsin the dining rooms together, and sitting at the Mermaid bar in the late evening hours! This trip was further enhanced by the great attitutudes of the other timeshare sales storioes and travelers in simialr situations to ours! God Bless you all!

So, if you get a call to take this, and can get to Florida for acheap arifare, go ahead and take this trip, it was GREAT! and we would totally do it again!

• Stayed: March 2007, traveled as a couple
8  Thank Ladyonthebeach
Reviewed March 26, 2007

March 25, 2007

After reading all the horror stories about Ramada Plaza Resort Vacations prior to our scheduled vacation, I was, to say the least, expecting the worst. I was pleasantly surprised the entire trip. Either we experienced another type of vacation, or Ramada Plaza Resort Vacations has really cleaned up their act. We booked the 10 days nearly 6 months ago, 3 days in Ft. Lauderdale, a 4 day cruise and 2 days in Orlando. While it was just 2 days prior to our driving departure to Ft. Lauderdale that I was finally able to get an itinerary which included Ft. Lauderdale, the 4 day cruise to Cozumel on Carnival Fascination, I failed to notice that the 2 days following in Orlando were not on the itinerary.

We arrived in Ft. Lauderdale and, after the recommendation of one of the reviewers, asked for a king size, non smoking renovated room. We were given room 435 which was very large with a kitchen, refrigerator, microwave, and free internet. The hotel has undergone some renovations, i.e. new carpeting in the hallways and rooms, it was very clean, but still needs some work in the bathrooms with wallpaper peeling and fixtures being old. However, we had the best water pressure at this hotel than at any other previously. The shower heads were new, pulsating and rotating etc., and accommodated us nicely. The pool and pool bar were very nice, plenty of chairs to enjoy the area. The hotel itself is not in the best area, but we were treated with respect at the front desk once we got the voucher from the welcome center. The welcome center people were courteous, and when I noticed the 2nd day that we did not have the Orlando itinerary item, they fixed it immediately, and the voucher was waiting for us in Orlando. We were given a map to Miami pier, and another one to the Ramada Plaza 1000 in Orlando.

We then drove to Weston for our time share tour. The wonderful sales person we got (Erica) understood that we already owned a time share, that we didn’t use the weeks we already had, and that we really just wanted an abbreviated tour. She showed us the location which, by the way, was very nice, and Weston is an exclusive neighborhood with resort type amenities and restaurants. We would like to exchange there sometime with our current time share. When we returned from the tour,we had a quick overview of the exchange program through RCI, again we were already familiar, so this was very short. Another sales person ran through the numbers with us, which we felt were very reasonable for what they were selling. When we said we did not want another one, she also offered us the “every other year” option for `1/2 the price and it was also attractive. When we said no to that, another sales manager offered us a last minute return of a one bedroom at this place, which we also said “no” to. No high pressure, they just said thank you and got us our cruise voucher for Carnival. The entire presentation and tour was just under 2 hours. We were very courteous and so was our sales person, that helped a lot. That was the 2nd day, and the third day in Ft. Lauderdale was free for us to do what we wanted to do.

We drove to Miami on the 19th and parked our own car in the pier parking, which was $15 per day paid in advance. It was covered parking and very close to the boarding area. We just walked over. Carnival was ready for boarding, and boarding process was quick and easy. We had pre-registered on Carnival.com prior to the cruise, so all our information was already done, and we just walked around the corner from the agent desk to pick up our room keys, sign and sail card, and got right on board, around 12:00 with a sumptuous lunch already in progress on the lido deck. We were able to store our carry on luggage in our cabin, although it was not quite ready for occupancy. The ship, Fascination was spotless, flat screen tvs in the rooms and everywhere on board. The entertainment and food was among the best we’ve found, and even though it was spring break, it didn’t seem to be too rowdy for us seniors! We had a wonderful time, and would definitely recommend Carnival again for all ages. We purchased the soda and juice fountain card for $20.00 which allowed us unlimited sodas and juices at any of the areas which sold them. It was very convenient for dinner and shows, and saved quite a bit of money.

Once we returned from the ship, on the 23rd of March, we drove to Orlando. I did call the welcome center ahead of time to make sure that they had our reservation to the Ramada hotel. It took a bit of checking due to the delay in processing our Orlando segment after we had already arrived in Ft. Lauderdale. I think the welcome center had the information, but it wasn’t readily available. However, with no anger involved, they did accommodate us with a slight delay at the welcome center when we arrived. Our room, once again was a king size no smoking, room 420. However, this one had no fridge, but was very large and overlooked the pool, while some of it also overlooked the highway, but the unit air conditioning was just loud enough to drown out the highway noise at night. Again, the showers were wonderful, and we did have a nice new mattress, pillow top. The wallpaper was dated, but new carpeting in the rooms and hallways helped a lot, and they were painting in the hallways as well. We also enjoyed free internet, ice just down the hall, and on sight restaurant with buffets for all 3 meals, along with a nice sports bar and very nice pool area. The Welcome center did ask us if we had purchased property in Ft. Lauderdale. When I said no, she offered another tour the next day with either $50 cash or 2 tickets to Arabian Nights dinner theatre. We declined, and that was the end of that. No pressure at all.

All in all, we had a very nice time, and hopefully our experience will offset some of the very negative experiences others have had in the past.

Recommendations, bring all your paperwork with you, ask for what you want, call to reconfirm before you arrive, and have a great time.

• Stayed: March 2007, traveled as a couple
4  Thank lynnr11
Reviewed March 7, 2007

We were given 2 free nights at a Holiday Inn or Marriott property, and ended up being booked here. We were also told that we did not have to do a Time Share presentation. However, Brian in the Welcome Center pressured us and told us we did or the room would not be paid for. We found out later that this was a lie. We asked for a Handicapped accessible room, and were given a room on the 5th floor. I wonder how they manage to move people in wheelchairs down from the 5th floor in an emergency?? One of the elevators was broken for our entire stay. The counter in the bathroom was falling off the wall, and there was mold around the tub. The A/C unit only half worked. The water coming from the tap and shower was a yellow/brown color, and the toilet had the appearance that there was always urine in it. We had to go and buy bottled water to brush our teeth. The timeshare presentation was 3 hours long and high pressure. I intend to write letters to Ramada, the BBB and the Atty General's office in Florida regarding this place and their practices.

• Stayed: March 2007, traveled with friends
5  Thank Airedale2
Reviewed December 27, 2006

After reading the reviews on this site I was worried SICK! I spent the week before dreading the entire vacation that our friend thought they won but paid for and then we paid a bit more, so this part is true the package is not a great deal but for us it was ok so caution if you have not booked yet.

Now the Ramada was not smelly, filthy or infested with bugs at all. Our room was huge, my husband, my 18 yr and 14 yr old had oodles of room with bags galore. It is an older hotel but if you are not 5 star people, we are not, it was fine. The room had safe, fridge, microwave and coffee pot and a hairdryer. MAKE SURE YOU ASK FOR RENOVATED ROOM ON CHECK IN!!!! Thanks for the previous reviews I knew to do that. The hotel also kept all of our extra luggage in storage while on cruise which was great as my daughter does not travel light. Grocery store and pharmacy accross street, easy access to freeways and quick drive to beach. Hallway need work but we did not stay in hallways long?!?!

All in all this hotel was very helpful and the Welcome center staff were awesome and went far and beyond what they needed to do for us as I mixed up a car rental thing where it was going to cost me 1000.00 and instead they got us a mini van for 217.00 plus taxes of course but they were great.

This is not a luxury resort or vacation but if you are an average family who got themselves into this timeshare gimmick it is not a vacation from hell. Timeshare we were in and out in exactly 2hours, with light breakfast and lunch offered, and no pressure. We are off to Orlando next and are hoping all will go as well.

• Stayed: December 2006, traveled with family
18  Thank Doxiegal
Reviewed October 23, 2006

We stayed at the Ramada with my in-laws, who had puchased a time-share week. We were to stay in Ft. Lauderdale first, then go on the Regal Empress Cruise, to the Bahamas, and then go to the Ramada in Orlando.
Our room was ok. It wasn't terribly dirty, but we had a hard time getting towels delivered. The rugs were worn and the box springs were moldy. My mother -in-law said she saw tiny bugs in the bathroom, and I saw an ant on my sheet in the morning. Well, I know its hard to keep those tiny ants out, so it didn't bother me very much. There were no bedbugs. I didn't see any cockroaches. The safe was very small, but worked, though my husband had to figure out how to fit my laptop in. There was no mini fridge or coffee maker, tho there was a hair dryer on the wall and shampoos etc in the bathroom. Incidentally, there was also half a bar of soap in the tub - yuck. The pool, which I didn't swim in, was outside, and was ok. The bar was expensive and they ran out of towels at the pool.
It is an old hotel and needs to be remodeled. We got stuck without a car for most of Sunday, and decided to go for a walk. Its not the best neighborhood, though I didn't feel nervous. However, I was with my husband. Alone, I'm not sure. However, there is NO shopping within walking distance, unless you count the dollar store or the adult video place. The beaches were not close, and you def couldn't have walked to any.
Save your money, which I hope wasn't much for that dump, and stay somewhere else!

• Stayed: October 2006, traveled with family