Tripadvisor
Fort Lauderdale
See what travelers are saying:
Selected filters
Reviewed January 11, 2020

This is my third time staying at the Plaza Hotel, and my second time reviewing it. (My old review from a few years ago seems to have evaporated.) Last time it was the Ramada Plaza. I can't understand why so many people are bad-mouthing this hotel on TripAdvisor.

First, you need to understand what the Plaza hotel is, or ... more important ... what it is not. It is NOT the Ritz. It IS a very conveniently located, low priced hotel. I don't go to Florida to stay in a hotel room. I do go to do things OUTSIDE of the hotel. All I need is someplace to sleep, and the Plaza fills that requirement.

I see lots of complaints about the restaurant. Fort Lauderdale is FULL of good restaurants OUTSIDE of the hotel ... some even within walking distance. AND, the cost of your hotel room AND breakfast will be lots less than what you would have paid at the Ritz.

This is an older hotel, but they do their best on maintenance, repairs and housekeeping. AND it has a beautiful, well maintained pool and jacuzzi area.

This time I stayed at the Plaza for a week. Was everything perfect? No. I arrived late the first day. The door to my room did not close properly, and the deadbolt would not latch. They sent up a maintenance man, but he couldn't fix it. I went to the front desk and asked for a different room. They told me they were completely booked. I said "OK, I'll stay in that room for one night, but I want a different room tomorrow." The next day they switched me into a suite.

The second day cable TV for the whole hotel went out. It was repaired by the next day, but the remote for my TV stopped working. I complained. They sent the maintenance man again. He tried replacing the batteries, but that didn't do it. He could not replace the remote because this TV was different from the other TVs in the hotel. An inconvenience ... but I didn't come to Florida to watch TV.

The vending machine in the hall didn't work properly. It wouldn't accept cash. But my suite had a mini-refrigerator, so I stocked up on drinks and snacks at the supermarket across the street.

The key-card for the door would stop working every day. An inconvenience, but I just stopped by the front desk every day when I returned to the hotel and they re-programmed the key card.

They have computers just off the lobby for guest use, but no printer, so I couldn't print an airline boarding pass. No problem. I printed the boarding pass at the public library.

But all the basics worked ... air conditioning, TV, shower, adequately comfortable bed. My suite was in a quiet area at the end of a hallway. And there was a beautiful pool area and plenty of lounge chairs to use on days that I didn't have to go anywhere. Nothing major to complain about, and I had the lowest room rate in Fort Lauderdale. I've stayed at far worse places (even in Fort Lauderdale), so I am satisfied with what I received.

Date of stay: December 2019
1  Thank UneasyRider
Geneviève M, Responsable des relations clients at Plaza Hotel Fort Lauderdale, responded to this reviewResponded January 12, 2020

Thank you for taking the time to leave us your nice review! We are truly happy to see that you enjoyed your stay with us and we look forward to welcome you back again. Best regards, Monique T.

Reviewed January 9, 2020

I checked in at 10pm. I left my room to get ice, when I opened the door to the ice machine room I was told "get out, this room is occupied". I only saw a blur of a person but I'm pretty sure they were naked. I then decided to go to the CVS up the street and was surprised by 2 people passed out on the floor in the stairway. Then outside the door, I was again surprised by a youngman urinating in the bushes. And the last straw was the couple next door with the tv on full blast having the loudest sex possible at 2am, I tried calling the front desk but there was no answer. I packed up my stuff and dropped my key card in the box. Do not stay here, it might seem like a good deal but it actually might be dangerous & certainly not relaxing. The reviews here do not lie.

Trip type: Traveled on business
1  Thank Ambivilry
Geneviève M, Responsable des relations publiques at Plaza Hotel Fort Lauderdale, responded to this reviewResponded January 10, 2020

We are extremely concerned by the issues encountered and we sincerely apologize for the inconvenience this has caused. We also assure you that the issues with the quality of the service do not meet our standards. In order for us to be able to carry out the proper follow-ups with our staff, we invite you to contact directly info@plazahotelfll.com. We thank you for choosing our hotel and sincerely hope to get the chance to discuss with you. Yours truly, Monique T.

Reviewed January 7, 2020 via mobile

This hotel should be closed down due to the following reasons notes below.

1.internet is advertised but does not work
2. There are insects throughout the rooms
3. The restuarant menu and service especially at
night is terrible. There is a skeleton team of 2 with
no training on hospitality. Also closes before advertised periods.
3. The chef has no culinary skills .
4. House keeping always has a struggle to find towels
5. The corridors on the upper levels smells and is poorly maintained along with the elevators.

There is only 2 good things that has been ok with this property.
1. The hospitaliy received in the front desk
2. Pool maintenance

Trip type: Traveled solo
1  Thank sheldonm103
Geneviève M, Responsable des relations clients at Plaza Hotel Fort Lauderdale, responded to this reviewResponded January 8, 2020

Hello Sheldon, we are disappointed that your stay did not meet your expectations. When an aspect does not satisfy you, we invite you to communicate with the reception staff, who will do everything in their power to make your stay a success. We apologize for the inconvenience and be assured that a follow-up of your comments will be ensured with the concerned teams. Sincerely, Monique T.

Reviewed January 6, 2020

I was welcome with 7 police cars and k9 unit. A car theft in the front of the hotel .I gave them the benefit of the doubt. Terrible customer service aggressive, defensive, not customer service oriented. Multiple maintenance issues, elevator down for a week, dirty floors and carpet, old, dark rooms broken furnace or simple warn out. Personnel has language limitations under staff. Housekeeping very poor quality do not change the sheets, do not clean properly. The pictures in the website are far from reality. Tiki bar in the pull dirty. I will not waste my money in this hotel. There is a do not care attitude by the personnel.

Room tip: Please read the reviews of this hotel the pictures are not the real deal. Location is abandoned.
Date of stay: December 2019
1  Thank Pioneer184294
Geneviève M, Responsable des relations clients at Plaza Hotel Fort Lauderdale, responded to this reviewResponded January 7, 2020

Thank you for taking a few minutes to share your feedback. We are disappointed that your stay did not meet your expectations. When an aspect does not satisfy you, we invite you to communicate with the reception staff, who will do everything in their power to make your stay a success. We apologize for the inconvenience and be assured that a follow-up of your comments will be ensured with the concerned teams. Sincerely, Monique T.

Reviewed January 6, 2020

This hotel was extremely disgusting. Everything inside and outside is nasty. People are outside doing drugs. Appears to be a very unsafe location. The pictures online (from the hotel) are clearly photoshopped. This chair was in our room along with a broken and dirty dresser.

Date of stay: January 2020
Trip type: Traveled as a couple
2  Thank JamieD4687

Hello Jamie, we are sincerely sorry to learn that your stay was not up to your expectations. We assure you that the issues with the quality of the service and the cleanliness do not meet our standards and that a follow-up will be carried out with the concerned department. We apologize for the inconvenience, Monique T.