“Go Elsewhere”

Ranked #115 of 128 Hotels in Fort Lauderdale
Fitchburg, MA
“Go Elsewhere”
Reviewed October 23, 2006

We stayed at the Ramada with my in-laws, who had puchased a time-share week. We were to stay in Ft. Lauderdale first, then go on the Regal Empress Cruise, to the Bahamas, and then go to the Ramada in Orlando.
Our room was ok. It wasn't terribly dirty, but we had a hard time getting towels delivered. The rugs were worn and the box springs were moldy. My mother -in-law said she saw tiny bugs in the bathroom, and I saw an ant on my sheet in the morning. Well, I know its hard to keep those tiny ants out, so it didn't bother me very much. There were no bedbugs. I didn't see any cockroaches. The safe was very small, but worked, though my husband had to figure out how to fit my laptop in. There was no mini fridge or coffee maker, tho there was a hair dryer on the wall and shampoos etc in the bathroom. Incidentally, there was also half a bar of soap in the tub - yuck. The pool, which I didn't swim in, was outside, and was ok. The bar was expensive and they ran out of towels at the pool.
It is an old hotel and needs to be remodeled. We got stuck without a car for most of Sunday, and decided to go for a walk. Its not the best neighborhood, though I didn't feel nervous. However, I was with my husband. Alone, I'm not sure. However, there is NO shopping within walking distance, unless you count the dollar store or the adult video place. The beaches were not close, and you def couldn't have walked to any.
Save your money, which I hope wasn't much for that dump, and stay somewhere else!

• Stayed October 2006, traveled with family
12 Thank SHMILY808

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (175)
  • Greek first
Charlottesville, VA
Reviewed October 12, 2006

We were skeptical about this hotel from reading all the bad reviews on this site, but decided to give it a chance. We had stayed in a hotel in London which got mixed reviews from Tripadvisor, and that turned out to be great.
The outside of this hotel needs a lot of work. The pale red that Ramada paints their hotels shows age very well, and the sign on the building was in disrepair. The lobby is very nice with a computer with high speed internet for our use. The front desk personnel were very helpful and friendly.
Aside from the outside, the hallways were the other negative about this hotel. A coat of paint, some air fresheners, new carpet and more lighting would go a LONG way here. When we arrived, we saw the outside, checked in, and then got to the hallways and were very disappointed.
The rooms however are very nice. It seems as though the hotel is beginning it's renovations in the rooms. The beds were clean with new mattresses. Coffee maker in the room as well as nice clean showers and bathrooms.
The pool area is definitely the highlight of this hotel, as evidenced by the pictures submitted by the hotel. This was the first pool-side tiki bar that I have ever seen actually be open. The pool was clean, as was the spa, and there were hammocks throughout the area.
Overall, the hotel is really what you pay for. It is not a resort by any means, but you can only expect so much. I definitely do not think all the negative reviews are warranted.

• Liked — The pool area
  • Stayed October 2006, traveled as a couple
14 Thank Bman143
Kailua-Kona, Hawaii
Reviewed September 20, 2006

was one of the many who was suckered into a "luxiorious" vacation for a "great price". The package sucks plain and simple. If you want to read up on that, basically, everything everyone says in the other reviews is true. It is extremely expensive and you're better off booking on your own. You pay a lot for a piece of crap if you go through them. Not to mention, I kept getting bit on the cruise by bugs and had to wind up going to an urgent care clinic while on vacation. I just found out they were bed bug bites and I brought them home with me unknowingly so now have to pay another $300+ to get rid of bed bug infestations!

As far as this particular hotel itself goes, vacation package and rip-off prices aside, it smells. The staff was friendly, and the pool was decent, however, that was about the good things I can say about it. It smells TERRIBLE!. I dry heaved many times whenever I'd walk off of the elevator (the first floor doesn't stink but the hotel room floors do). The rooms are very very VERY moldy. I stayed in two different rooms and they were both discusting. The food vouchers they give you may sound like a good deal when you're booking, but the food tastes like crap and you wind up paying tax and tip for the same price you could have gotten decent fast food for. The yellow water is true, but in all fairness it is all over Ft. Lauderdale and is not just the hotel.

To sum it all up. I'd strongly recommend booking somewhere else!

• Liked — It had free internet and a friendly staff
  • Disliked — Everything else
  • Tips/Secrets — Money is best spent elsewhere. But if you have to stay there, bring bottled water and never turn off the AC or the mildew smell gets worse. Read up on bed bugs and how to check your room or cabin!
  • Stayed September 2006, traveled as a couple
10 Thank suepoo

Travelers are raving about these Fort Lauderdale hotels

massachusetts
Reviewed September 6, 2006

this hotel was very good. They were clean and for the most part pleasant. They have food on the premices. Also a pool, indoor and outdoor bar, hot tub, fitness center, pool tables, evern coin-op laundry. They also were very helpful with finding attractiona or generally things to do and giving directions. They also called a car rental place and set everything up for us. They were a little untimely with bringing us fresh towels as there were 4 of us in one room. But over all i would definately at least give them 4 stars if not more!!

• Liked — how close we were to the beach, and how easy it was to navigate!
  • Disliked — the fact that we neer had towels :(
  • Tips/Secrets — bring your own towls (laugh)
  • Stayed July 2006, traveled with family
11 Thank MELISSA8719
Cleveland
Reviewed August 28, 2006

No where near as bad as the reviews. You get what you pay for! For $48.00 a night, the place is bound to have some problems. I have definitely stayed in better, however the place was not that bad. There is a sports bar/restaurant with pool tables, a hair and nail salon, game room and indoor play area for kids to run wild, outdoor pool with hammocks, a tiki bar (was not open while I was there, but the sports bar has a entrancec on the pool side), kids under 12 eat free at the restaurant, tennis courts and free internet. I did see some ants in the room. Once I found the candy that my kids spilled on the floor and we stopped laying our wet clothing around the room (instead of hanging them up), I did not see anymore. The water was yellow, however we were having the same problem in Cleveland (for almost 2 weeks),so I was not freaked out. You get more than you expect for the money. If you want anymore than this, spend more money and go somewhere else!

• Liked — Kids eat free
  • Disliked — Rooms need updating
  • Stayed August 2006, traveled with family