“Cheap Is Not Always Good”

Ramada Plaza Fort Lauderdale
Ranked #114 of 128 Hotels in Fort Lauderdale
Palmdale, California
“Cheap Is Not Always Good”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 28, 2013

This hotel was $15.00 a day pre cruise stay. We were offered future trips to attend a 2-3 hour time share presentation. The presentation was far away from the hotel. We arrived at 8:30am and the presentation lasted 4 1/2 hours. We then had to wait outside in the hot sun for the shuttle bus to return back to the hotel at 2:30 and it was 30 minutes late. After finally arriving back to the hotel the dining room was closed so no food until 5pm. When we did eat the food was not good. Pasta overcooked, no flavor, and no creativity. (You need a new chef). The breakfast was the same all three days and it was very poor. (who eats spinach for breakfast). To top it off frozen waffles, (a waffle iron and batter is really not that expensive.) The cashier no personality, rude, no smile, and she seem upset that we interrupted her texting while she was working.

The rooms were nothing to write home about. Old shabby but they were clean. The pillows were very flat and old. The best thing about this hotel was the pool, Jacuzzi, and the Tikki bar. The shuttle to the cruise ship was to leave at 8am. At 9am we were still waiting causing us to miss breakfast even though breakfast was not good. We were also told to sit through another presentation to receive a VIP check in status. We were told by the welcome center that the cruise ship check in process would take about 4 hours due to the number of people on the cruise. After refusing to sit through any more presentations the employee was very rude and rushed us out of her office not answering any of our questions.
After boarding the cruise ship it only took 10 minutes to check in. (what happened to the four hour wait and all of the people?. Another sham) The ship was nice but the rooms were a big joke. They were so small when you turned around you were bumping into the window or wall, and I was on the eight floor. Was not informed of the European plugs, so we were not able to plug steamers, cell phones, or DVD players. The entertainment was excellent and the Crystal Dining Room had excellent food. The Rio however was not good at all. Overall the cruise gets three stars, but beware Ramada is not a place to stay. Avoid it.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank Anita J

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (168)
  • Greek first
Colchester, VT
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 25, 2013

This hotel was part of the cruise package deal we won and we talked into paying for extra nights with all inclusive meals. First off, I did not know we were only secluded to eating at the buffet. They made it sound like we could have the hotel pub food as well but nope. The buffet food here was like cafeteria food, and not good either. Bad value of food which was pastas, mash and gravy, and some meats. It was about the same every night too so we just spent the money to go out to eat! The rooms are average. Not fancy or very comfortable but it was fine for a free cruise. The beds were comfy enough, and the air circulation worked great. Everything was just a little out of date. The bathroom had a few ants. I'm from New England so I figured warmer weather attracts this sort of thing until I stayed at nicer spots. But it was clean, nothing looked really dirty like some older reviews I see. The check in took forever, the receptionist seemed new and was making some mistakes but it was busy check in hour so understandable. The best part was the pool and tiki bar. The drinks there were affordable, delicious and strong! We were able to drink them with out feet in the large jacuzzi there. It was open late too so it was a nice little surprise to our stay at such an average place. You get what you pay for here but I just think the food was so bad. It is not near the water like they say! It was a fifteen minute drive to the beach which was fine since we had a car but I feel bad for those who didnt have a car to go to a different restaurant or the beaches.

We got suckered into sitting through another timeshare scam (although this time is was vacation clubs) at 9 in the morning before we departed on the cruise because we were promised VIP access to the ship which they said would be hours of lines in a hot warehouse. Well we never saw what he was talking about it was just a lie. We had barely any wait and sat through that presentation for nothing we did not need the fake VIP passes they gave us. After sitting through 5 hours of time share meeting the day before that made me angry but I was about to set sail so who cares. The time share meeting they say last 2 hours, lasted 4-5 hours for us! They do not listen and made us feel horrible for being unable to afford a time share right out of college, seriously?! It was nice to hear all these vacation options for the future but they really did make you feel bad. It took up half my beach day so that made me really angry.

The cruise made up for it all! The welcome center was so helpful with answering our questions. I have never been on a cruise so I cant really compare it to much but it was so fun! I did not expect all the entertainment so it really exceeded my expectations. The interior was nice and the bars were numerous and great. The mojitos were the best I have had! All the drinks were so delicious. I signed up for an international wine tasting when we first boarded and so the drinking began. If sort of a boozy cruise. They push alcohol on you like crazy! Which I heard all ships are that way anyways. The wine was affordable but bottles of liquor were a rip off. They also seemed to lose the liqour bottle I checked before we got on the ship, when I got off everyone else got theirs back but mine mysteriously disappeared? Weird. Anyways the all inclusive food options were not good at all on the ship. We had the fancier dining the first night, some things were good and other dishes were not so much. The next night we were in Rios restaurant which was buffet and Brazilian meat carving at the table. The buffet was really bad. The food was tasteless. They skipped over like three of the meats at our table and the menu options did not taste well either. We were unimpressed. The Trattoria pizza and pasta place that is open late was so much better. But if you want really good food, pay $10 and get a burger at the Bull restaurant. It was seriously the best burger I have ever had. 10 oz. of Angus beef and such diverse burger types. The service on board is so friendly, sometimes pushy but they are just doing their job. There was a photo shoot for free on board and we ended up getting such cute pictures taken! The night club was really cool and even though there is a younger spring break crowd there it was nice to sit back and relax with drinks and music. The outerdeck could have been bigger but the outside pool and bar area was really fun for spring breakers and drinkers. The kids area is right there though so not the best for families when inappropriate music is playing right next to it. Breakfast buffet was much better and was served up on the upper deck. Our favorite hang out was the lounge bar that had an upper deck sitting area. They had Latino night with chips and salsa and mojito deals. Also karaoke on the last night. Such a nice spot on the ship. We tried to stay outside of the cabin as much as possible. The cabin was SO SMALL! I couldnt handle it, I do not like feel so enclosed. It was ridiculously tiny though, not comfortable at all I could barely sleep. It did have a small flat screen tv and large bottles of complimentary water though. The shower and bathroom are so small that I slammed my head on the sink while shaving in the shower! It's not like you spend alot of time in the cabin anyways. The excursions desk was great about canceling our excursion and scheduling new ones because of the weather in the Bahamas. The excursion to LuCaya beach was organized and a great time!

Overall, this is an average spot to stay but the cruise is worth it for first timers. It was an experience and we got the most out of it. I will not go back just because I know that I will want a nicer, more elegant hotel stay next time.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank aprilmae419
Oshawa, Canada
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 23, 2013

Overall, i think i would not stay here again. The property is certainly outdated. The location is not the best. I don't really think it's cheap for what you're getting. The biggest turn off is the cockroack i saw in the bathroom. When you're on vacation, the least you can expect is cleanliness.

pros:
free parking
ok staff
ok pool
ok sized room

cons:
cockroack in the bathroom
no free breakfast
key card always gets deactivated
far from the beach

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family

Travelers are raving about these Fort Lauderdale hotels

Jacksonville, North Carolina, United States
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 18, 2013

I checked in today the 18th of April. The welcome center was rude to say the least. I asked a simple question and they immediately started being ugly. While I waited in line, other people had the same problems. I then went to the ramada side to check in. The check in staff was not friendly at all. I stepped to the desk and said "Good afternoon, how are you today". Nothing from her except, "how do you expect to pay for the taxes and things". The room is subpar. very outdated. The hallway stinks. The only thing I can say is the pool is good with the exception that people are smoking all around it. There are kids around. Definitly will not stay here again. I just hope my car does not get broken into over night.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family