“Nice older Hyatt near Port Everglades”

Pier Sixty-Six Hotel & Marina
Ranked #42 of 128 Hotels in Fort Lauderdale
Reviewed December 31, 2012

I bid for two 3.5* rooms on Priceline and was pleasantly surprised that Priceline accepted my $90/nt offer with two 4* rooms at the Hyatt Regency Pier 66 hotel in FLL. Based on previous TripAdvisor reviews (thanks!) I called the hotel and asked for two rooms in the tower. The hotel is very close 15 minute taxi ride from FLL airport. Checkin was slow, but they honored my request for a Tower room. We ate dinner at the Pelican Bar which had a great view of the harbor. The hotel shuttle took us to the local Total Wine and More store for $20 to pick up our wine purchase before our Holland American cruise. The pool area is very beautiful and I would highly recommend that you spend some time there.

If your reading this review, please check the Helpful box. Thanks!

Room Cost (avg. per room, per night):$90.00 (USD)
Number of Rooms:2
Number of Guests Per Room:2
Number of Nights:1
Room Subtotal:$180.00 (USD)
Taxes and Fees:$30.38 (USD)
Total Charged to Card:$210.38 (USD)

Room Tip: I recommend the high Tower rooms with a balcony over the Lanai rooms
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
3  Thank Ken R

Reviewed December 31, 2012

This hotel is very tired and dated. We arrived to a smooth check in in what seemed like a nice lobby area. We were directed to our room which was in a shabby, worn out annex outside of the main hotel, looking out onto a waterway with a decent view of a boat. The walk to the room was so disappointing...it reminded us of a cheap holiday camp. The lift to take us to our room was horrific - dirty, smelly and made a loud buzzing noise on reaching the top. The room itself I am sure has not been renovated since 1970. The tiles are cracked, the walls and carpet are dirty and the lights and table are antique (dilapidated). The bed and the tv were average - certainly not as bad as the rest of the room. All in all a pretty poor hotel in need of renovation. We would not choose to stay here again and we were surprised to find this type of hotel branded as a Hyatt. It is more akin to a 2*+ cheap Caribbean all inclusive destination - avoid if at all possible!

Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank DeeMooner
GMPier66, General Manager at Pier Sixty-Six Hotel & Marina, responded to this reviewResponded January 5, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to post your review on tripadvisor. I am very disappointed that your visit with us was not as pleasant as we all would have like, and although we did not meet your expectations with staying in our lanai rooms around the pool, perhaps during your next visit you would feel more comfortable in the tower buidling. There are many folks that stay with us that love the rooms around the pool, and then there are some who do not like being in the tower and love the ability to be in the courtyard area. Thank you for your time to reivew the property, and we hope that we can again rebuild your trust in us for any future visits to the Fort Lauderdale area.

Reviewed December 31, 2012

Went down to Fort Lauderdale after a very busy Holiday season for a quick decompress. I chose Pier Sixty Six because it's been a fixture since my childhood but never had the opportunity to stay there. Hyatt has done a great job keeping and updating the property and I was surprised to find the rotating top working as I remember. Restaurant food was great with a flare for local Cuban influence, the steakhouse quality was top and service impeccable. The room was comfortable and quiet and who does not like the Hyatt pillow?

Room Tip: Upgrade to tower for a fantastic view of port and offshore
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple

Thank you for your wonderful remarks pertaining to your "quick getaway" at the Hyatt Regency Pier 66. I have also taken the liberty to share your comments with other staff members within the hotel. Again, we were thrilled to hear that you enjoyed your stay , and look forward to welcoming you back soon.

glenn .spanier@hyatt.com

Reviewed December 30, 2012

My husband wanted to go somewhere warm for Christmas. I found a great package deal on line, Jet Blue and Pier 66. We usually stay in small boutique hotels but the deal was so good we gave the Hyatt a try. Not sure what to expect we remained open minded. Our flight from Boston arrived late so we called the hotel to let them know we would be late. They told us we already had a room and not to hurry. After stopping at Southport Raw Bar (open late, good shrimp and oysters at a great price) we were greeted with a smile at check in. The woman asked us if we were hungry and told us about food options since the restaurants at the hotel were all closed. Already having a warm feeling we thanked her and told her we ate on the way. Our room was big with a beautiful wrap around deck and a spectacular view. OMG we melted into those ever so comfy beds. Richardo at the Lounge was such a pleasure to deal with, funny and entertaining and the best Mojitos . All the associates made us feel at home, with the exception of one. He was not even rude but curt. The grounds at the 66 are beautiful and the pool area is so relaxing. Given the size of the property it is surprising, it must be the layout. I do wish that the parents of children were asked to follow the pool rules. Constant screaming and running is not acceptable. The pool attendant was livid when they stated throwing towels into the pool. The staff at Orchids Pool Bar are a lot of fun and the coffee was not bad. We had a meal at Grill 66 it was quite good. This trip we choose not to rent a car so we spent some time at Pelican Landing waiting for the Water Taxi. The food at Pelican is tasty and the Water Taxi is pretty much on schedule. Grab a drink for the ride, they encourage libations. I think the Water Taxi is a must try, for around twenty bucks a day you can go all day, come back to the 66 and go out again at night. The Water Taxi is such an asset to Ft. Lauderdale. We also used the Sun Trolly, its 50 cents a ride or 2 dollars all day. Not always reliable but sometimes you get lucky and it does add to the fact that Ft. Lauderdale is the best city for getting around without having to cab everywhere. Walking is another good option. There is so much to see. We were a bit disappointed with breakfast. We love to enjoy a leisurely relaxing meal at breakfast, sipping coffee while we plan our day. Mariners was a bit like Grand Central Station, maybe the cruse crowd. Leaving the property for breakfast was not what we wanted. The Lounge would a great place to sip coffee and have the breakfast we had hoped for. Starting our day with a cozy breakfast is most important to us. Both my husband and I had a great Christmas and it had a lot to do with picking 66. Thank you all at Hyatt and have the best New Year. P.S. If you are any kind of a foodie you must checkout Market 17 and remember to take advantage of all the happy hours

Room Tip: rooms with wrap around balconys
1  Thank Marlanacat
Reviewed December 29, 2012

The staff and facilities at the Pier 66 hotel were very accommodating and appropriate for the cost and quality level of this property. The room (tower suite) was very large and sitting area was most appreciated. Daily maid service was fine, with nice touches like a travel-sized toothpaste tube provided (every day but one). This room faced the A1A highway and cruise ship port, and had considerable noise with the balcony door ajar, and a noticeable smell of yacht fuel when ships arrived or departed, depending on the wind. Visiting a room facing north/ northeast, with a partial view over the ocean was significantly quieter and more pleasant, but it was too short a stay to warrant a room change. The dinner at the lobby bar (main restaurant) was fairly poor and greasy and the service was slow. Many restaurants are less than a mile away west on the A1A. the pool was nice, with a 25 yard section for lap swimming though the water a bit warm for a serious workout. For real swimmers, visit the nearby Swimming Hall of Fame Olympic-sized pools. Bought room via TravelZoo so particularly good value, but I could see staying here again even on a regular rate. Lots of cruise ship passengers seem to stay here before their cruise due to its proximity to the cruise port. Finally, the buffet breakfast offers an extensive fare and would seem to be pretty good value.

Room Tip: Not overlooking the A1A if you like quiet Overlooking the A1A if you like watching cruise ships arr...
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed December 27, 2012

My spouse and I have enjoyed many stays at the Hyatt over the years; always being extremely happy with the experience. Many of the employees have contributed to our enjoyment including Ben Johnson who has been a great help to us, as well as Nicole with in-house reservations and Camille at the front desk. On our two most recent stays, however, we did have issues that need to be addressed.

We most recently stayed on November 6 and November 17. On the morning of check out for our November 6 stay, the housekeeper let herself into our room while we were still occupying it. She claims she knocked, which we did not hear. I found this very intrusive and upsetting that she would just let herself in, especially being that it wasn’t even close to check out time. I let the situation go assuming it was some type of fluke or miscommunication between departments. Being that we are always so happy and everyone is typically so accommodating I didn’t want to complain.

Fast forward to the morning of check out for our November 17 stay-- the EXACT SAME situation occurred. This time I was irate.

At 9:45 AM the housekeeper opened the door and walked into the room. I confronted her and asked if it was hotel policy to enter rooms without knocking. I was sitting right in the room in my robe, the tv was off, the balcony door was closed, and did not hear a knock, which she claims occurred. Instead of apologizing for the intrusion she then proceeded to ask me what time I’m checking out. I was floored. Is it policy for the housekeeping staff to enter rooms and ask guests what time they are checking out? I could possibly understand if it was past check out time and the room was still occupied, but that was not the situation. I told her we would be out by check out time. That didn’t seem to satisfy her as she just stood in the doorway until I closed the door.

The more I thought about this situation the move angry I got. I called the front desk and asked to speak to the manager. Unfortunately I did not get her name but a lady came on the phone that was pleasant enough but did not resolve my problem or give it the attention it deserved. After I told her what happened, she explained that it is hotel policy for the maid to enter the room to see if it is vacant.

Really? I’ve stayed in hotels all over the world-- from very high end to moderate-- and I’ve NEVER had a maid let herself into my room to see if it’s occupied. What if we were in the bathroom, or busy or just didn’t want to answer the door? It was 9:45 AM. She then explained that we could have had the privacy sign on. Well yes I suppose we could have, but we were waiting for room service breakfast so I didn’t want the privacy sign on the door to confuse the delivery person. And on a side note the room service took 1 hour after they told us on the phone it would be 25 minutes! I found that completely unacceptable and well past the delivery time indicated when we ordered.

After speaking to the manager, I felt extremely put out. It's as if I was being told I should have known the housekeeper would enter the room because it was “hotel policy” or that I should have had the privacy sign out if I didn’t want my room entered. I really didn’t think I needed to secure the room from the housekeeping staff. And again this was at 9:45 AM- well before the required check out time.

If it is so urgent that the housekeeping staff gets into the rooms, why not phone the room to ensure it is vacant if you aren’t absolutely sure it is? Or come back a second time and knock LOUDLY to be sure?

The whole situation made us very uncomfortable. We packed up and left as quickly as possible. It’s very unfortunate as Hyatt Pier 66 has always been a special place for us. I even proposed to my partner at sunset on the balcony of room 1369 (our favorite room). However, if situations like this are expected to occur as a matter of “normal hotel policy” we will be investigating our options for our future visits to the Ft. Lauderdale area.

I really, really, really did not want to have to write this kind of review. We have been SO happy in the past that we sent the general manager (Glenn Spanier) a letter thanking him for his hospitality. He, in turn, wrote us back thanking us for the kind words and asked us to write our thoughts on TripAdvisor. We did. My last review of this property (about a year ago) is glowing.

However, after these past two stays, I contacted Mr. Spanier with a written letter AND a follow-up email explaining what had occurred. It's now been 5 weeks and there has been no response for anyone at the Hyatt Regency Pier Sixty-Six. Not even so much as a phone call.

Well, here is your review Mr. Spanier. Maybe this will get your attention.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Andrew R

Thank you for taking the time from your busy day to post such a candid review about your recent visit to our hotel. It is only with honest and timely feedback that we can respond to guest concerns and prevent their recurrence. Your posting was also reviewed with the entire housekeeping manangement staff as well as the statff members in that department so that we learned about your specific experience and made appropriate responses. I am terrbily sorry that your experience at the Hyatt Pier 66 was not an outstanding one like it was the last time you stayed with us in 2011. But I was very surprised about your comments on me not responding to both a letter and email that you said were sent. For if I had received a letter, an email, or even a survey that is sent out from Hyatt Hotels from you I would have done the professional thing and responded to your concerns.

Again, thank you for your helpful response and your business. We hope that you will return if your travel plans call for a return to Fort Lauderdale and best wishes to you in the new year.

With warm regards,

Reviewed December 26, 2012

We stayed one night having booked through Hotwire. When we arrived the front desk staff as soon as learning we booked via Hotwire treated us like down and outs. When we asked about breakfast the staff said "well for you people it will cost $20".

Our room was all the way in the back on the ground level. The room was clean and tidy and modern, but when we tried to take the elevator up the tower to the top floor to check the view, we were told to go away and we were not allowed up there.

I really felt disappointed by the fact I paid a bit extra to get a hotel with a view and we got neither the view or customer service. Best thing about the place was the pool.

Shuttle cost $7 per person. Taxi would be better for family of 4.
Parking was $12 per day.

I won't stay here again unless the price was cheaper.

3  Thank ifrit1984

Thank you so much for taking the time to post a review on TripAdvisor. I am disappointed that your visit with us was not as pleasant as we all would have liked. Your feedback is appreciated as it allows me to perfect our service moving forward. Please know that I will address your concerns to ensure that these types of mistakes are addressed immediately. I do hope that you return in the future and give us the opportuinty to impress you with the service that Hyatt's are know for.