“Great Location, but Otto the Concierge is over-hyped!”

The Westin Beach Resort, Fort Lauderdale
Ranked #29 of 128 Hotels in Fort Lauderdale
NJ
“Great Location, but Otto the Concierge is over-hyped!”
Reviewed December 15, 2009

The rooms were on the small side, but you can't beat the location. Walking distance to the beach and plenty of nightlife locations. I actually thought the overall service was pretty good, but had to give a lower review based on the concierge service.

At a high-level, I can understand why Otto gets so many positive reviews on Trip Advisor... he was very friendly and attempted to help. But when it comes down to it, his recommendations to my group were generic and misinformed. His first suggestion for fine dining was the hotel restaurant. While nice, that just hurt his credibility... drop in the hotel restaurant as a suggestion sure, but not as your #1 choice! That and not knowing where find a jai alai location (he suggested a local sports bar) or that gambling on jai alai was allowed, really hurt the value of his suggestions. I'd probably rate him a 2 out of 5 on the satisfaction scale.

I'd actually rate overall service for the hotel a 4. Stephanie (sp?) at reception was very helpful with an extended check out and our best recommendations came from Ciara at the hotel bar. She actually had interest in knowing what we liked so she could give good suggestions. She was very honest and helpful, making the overall experience at the Westin that much better. The Valet team was also consistently helpful with directions and coordinating cabs for us. Having a free parking service would have been nice, but these guys worked hard and added value to the trip.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled with friends
1 Thank IrishND20

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (984)
  • Arabic first
  • Korean first
philadelphia
Reviewed December 11, 2009

I began my trip as a vacation - but it soon turned into a business trip - we were going to shoot a documentary. I needed several contracts printed out at the last minute. The concierge department headed by Otto Rizvani was second to none. The entire staff was amazing and they only got better. The service in the hotel was first rate across the board. I look forward to my next stay.

Richard Wolff
Breaking Glass Pictures

• Stayed December 2009, traveled on business
Norway
Reviewed December 3, 2009

This is the former Sheraton Yankee Trader which has been totally refurbished. Rooms are now vey comfortable with an excellent bed and an abundance of pillows. Nice new bathroom with a good shower. Only downside was the airconditioning which did not cool the room sufficiently to my taste. A good breakfast was included in my rate of around USD 200. Valet parking only at USD 25 per day. This could really be your best choise in Fort Lauderdale.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled on business
Louisville KY
Reviewed November 25, 2009

My daughter and I had the most wonderful stay at the Westin Ft. Lauderdale Beach. I travel quit often, and found everything about this hotel to be top notch. First of all, it is spotless clean, beautiful and great location. The beds are absolutely fantastic, flat screen TV, very unique bathrooms, wonderful shower heads.
But, it was the staff that made this stay such a great memory for my daughter and I. The parking is valet only, at first I thought that would be a hassle waiting on my car each time, we needed to leave the hotel and return, throughout the day. But the guys working valet are amazing. They were absolutely so organized it amazed my daughter and I, how they kept up. We never waited over a couple of minutes for our car to be delivered. They knew our names within a day and we were treated like royalty. Very impressive. Mark you were awesome...
Also, our concierge Otto was fantastic, very friendly and accommodating. I couldnt have asked for any more. He was always there to help, and give information and suggestions. Thanks Otto for a great vacation.. We will definetly return.

• Stayed November 2009
Northeast Ohio
Reviewed November 25, 2009

We stayed at the Westin after a cruise. The rooms were wonderful, heavenly bed and view of the ocean. Pool was really nice and the pool staff were very attentive and even brought around ice cold towels. The road seperates the hotel from the ocean but there is a walkway over the road that gets you to the beach. Nice bar, restaurant and staff. With the top-notch service we got at the Westin, we felt like we had never left the cruise ship!

• Stayed November 2009, traveled as a couple
Austin, Texas
Reviewed November 24, 2009

I just returned from a four night stay at this resort. Overall I had a great experience and would recommend this hotel. The room was clean and well decorated. I agree with many of the previous reviewers about the strange shutter in the bathroom. It left for little to no privacy. If I had been with a friend or business associate instead of my sister, it may have been awkward. The beds were very comfortable, there was plenty of closet and drawer space and there was a nice desk/chair and we had a partial view of the ocean.
The pool area was nice (could use some plants or landscaping) and the chairs were comfortable. They have pool staff to cover your chair for you and give you fresh towels. They also bring around cold towels every hour or so which was good since the pool itself had extremely warm water. The pool waitresses were not that friendly or helpful but that may have been because they were a bit short staffed. They were not rude, just not very friendly. The gentleman who came around with the towels and chair covers was very friendly.
The spa experience was wonderful. The locker rooms had a nice sitting area to wait for your treatment. After your treatment you were free to use the jacuzzi, steam room and showers. My masseuse was very friendly and made sure I was comfortable. I thought the prices were reasonable and we got a $20 off coupon from the Concierge.
The food at the hotel was not amazing. We did enjoy lunch at the pool every day. I recommend the hot dog. We had the breakfast buffet at Shula's and it was not good. The selection was small and what they did have was not very appealing. The service was excellent even if the food wasn't that good. We did not eat dinner at Shula's because it seemed a bit overpriced. We ate breakfast at the Starbucks in the hotel every other morning and the service there was excellent too. They remembered our names after the first visit and always asked how our trip was going.
Overall I really enjoyed my visit to this hotel. The staff was friendly and helpful. They have some nice programs like if you decide not to have your towels replaced every day, they give you a $5 coupon to spend at any of the businesses in the hotel. We also got a $50 resort credit when we booked the room and coupons for $20 off each spa treatment. The few things I did not care for include the hot pool, the breakfast buffet at Shula's and it seemed like they had a scented air freshener in the public areas of the hotel. It could be a little overwhelming at times. It was still a great value and if I return to Fort Lauderdale, I would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled with friends
1 Thank Jenny0343
canal winchester
Reviewed November 23, 2009

This was an excellent hotel, with a great location. The facilities were terrific. The conceirage service was amazing in that the staff was friendly, responsive and really understood customer service!
We would definitely stay at the hotel again.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled as a couple