“Great Place To Stay”

Ranked #29 of 128 Hotels in Fort Lauderdale
Southfield, Michigan
“Great Place To Stay”
Reviewed April 10, 2014

I just got back from a 4 day stay at The Westin Beach Resort & Spa. The location is perfect. You are within walking distance of everything that is situated along the beach, but far enough away that you are not in the midst of all the noise. Our room was a beachfront room, which was amazing. All of the staff we came in contact with were nice and helpful. I especially want to highlight the help we received at the concierge desk by Molly( I believe her last name is Erickson). She was very kind and helpful. She patiently and enthusiastically answered all questions we had to help us plan our stay while in Fort Lauderdale. I also want to highlight Girlline. She is a hostess at Shula's on the Beach. Every morning she greeted us with a pleasant smile. She too was very kind and answered any questions we had about the hotel or Fort Lauderdale. The only gripe I have with my stay is the lack of wifi service. Yes, wifi service is available in the lobby for free, but for use in your room there is a daily fee. I believe that for a hotel of this caliber, and the fact that we are living in such a tech driven society, the use of wifi throughout the hotel should be made available to all guest. To have guest, especially StarPreferred Members, pay an additional fee to use wifi in their rooms is somewhat of a turnoff. If we are going to pay, at least add the cost of wifi to the daily room rate. Again, other than that inconvenience, everything else was great.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends
HotelMgmtFTL, Manager at The Westin Beach Resort, Fort Lauderdale, responded to this review, April 11, 2014
Dear Carla P: Thank you for sharing your fantastic 5-star review on Trip Advisor. We are thrilled to hear that you enjoyed your stay and the top-notch service provided by Molly and the rest of our attentive staff. It was a pleasure having you, and we hope to see you again soon!

Marketing Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,000)
  • Arabic first
  • Korean first
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed April 8, 2014

All in all the property was fine. Service good, food decent. Ocean front rooms are noisy because of traffic if you would like to keep your front door open, that's a downer, but the view is spectacular.
The pool was very busy and crowded...however,Joe Legarda, the pool manager made it the most comfortable experience. I haven't seen an employee, let alone manager work so hard at making sure that all the guests were comfortable and treated politely and efficiently. He was there for my 4 day stay. I asked if he had an upcoming day off, he said I am off tomorrow but have a manger's meeting! I am in the service industry and I would hire this man in a split second for his work ethic and his genuine concern for the well being of his guests. Hopefully, he will be acknowledged for his services.
I would recommend this hotel....

• Stayed March 2014, traveled solo
1 Thank pml0103
Dear pml0103: Thank you for sharing your fantastic review on Trip Advisor. We are thrilled to hear that you enjoyed your stay and the top-notch service you have received from our attentive staff, specifically Joe. It was a pleasure having you, and we hope to see you again soon!

Quincy, Massachusetts
Reviewed April 8, 2014

I have stayed in this hotel twice in the past year and have thoroughly enjoyed it both times. The location is perfect: within walking distance to everything along the beach but far enough removed from the noise and hubbub of Beach Place to be peaceful and relaxing. The rooms are very clean and modern, great beds and linens, shutters on the bathroom is a little odd though. I like a little more privacy in the bathroom! The staff here are always very attentive and friendly, accommodating early arrivals and late checkouts when needed. The valet service is great and quick, although I feel like $25/day to park is a bit pricey on top of the hotel cost and having to tip the valet whenever you need your car.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
New York City, New York
Reviewed April 7, 2014

I just returned from a 4-night stay at this hotel with my mother and sister. This hotel has the perfect location and I look forward to staying here in the future. This is definitely my new go-to hotel when I want to stay in Fort Lauderdale and I will recommend it to everyone. This hotel is a bit more expensive than it should be (the promotional materials make it seem more plush than it really is), but the Westin is still more affordable than the Hilton and the W, which were our other contenders and the location was worth the slight premium. We were thrilled that the hotel accommodated our early check-in with ease.

The view from our high-level floor was fantastic, but I wish there was a "real" balcony. None of the rooms have balconies. The Starbucks downstairs was super convenient and the Starbucks staff was exceptional. In fact, all of the Westin staff was exceptional, from the pool attendants to the young woman at the concierge desk. That being said, the man who was working the "beach shift" was very nasty to us and seemed to show preference for people who paid for beach umbrellas. He also took our beach chairs way too early- in South Florida, one should be able to stay on the beach past 4:45 p.m.! He just generally seemed to have an attitude, which was weird because everyone else always had a smile and asked how our stay was going, which was nice.

I wish Shula's looked more "inviting"- the ambiance looks tired which I think prevents it from being a more "happening" place in the evening.

I wish there was a jacuzzi near the pool or that at least the jacuzzi in the spa was free for hotel guests. The 15 dollars a day fee seemed absurd. Some of the fitness equipment was not functional. Fortunately, I preferred to run outside most mornings.

The bathroom door in our hotel room was problematic, as everyone seems to have noticed- you have no privacy in there! I do not understand the reasoning behind such a setup.

Also, in 2014 EVERY HOTEL SHOULD HAVE FREE WI-FI. We did not pay for wi-fi, but it was absurd that there was no wi-fi.

That being said, I loved this hotel and I am only being slightly critical because I would love to see some improvements for future stays. Thank you to everyone at the Westin Beach Resort & Spa, Fort Lauderdale for a terrific few days away from the New York City cold!

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
3 Thank lalaearmuffs
HotelMgmtFTL, Manager at The Westin Beach Resort, Fort Lauderdale, responded to this review, April 8, 2014
Dear irmacita: To begin, we are thrilled to hear you had such a wonderful experience during your recent stay at The Westin Beach Resort & Spa, Fort Lauderdale. We have a fantastic team of associates, who strive to go above and beyond all guest expectations! With premium outlets and beautiful accents, our beachfront property is an ideal vacation retreat for couples, families, and business travelers. We hope to see you again in the near future shall your travels bring you back to Sunny Fort Lauderdale!

Lawrence, Kansas
Reviewed April 4, 2014

Groups of beach goers in flip-flops, swimsuits, tank tops, some with coolers in tow and drinks in hand, strolling around. Fortunately, I saw just a few such cases at the Westin, however it is not exactly as plush as it's promotions suggest. Yet I found the service to be expeditious and our room was bright, airy and comfortable. The bathroom, while not luxury, was clean, roomy and well equipped. Our room overlooked the beach, ocean beyond (great view) and the pool which is on an upper deck situated between the hotel and the A-1A beach highway. Though the pool size seemed adequate, the chaises were worn and tired looking. So overall good, but we were there only one night.

Room Tip: Ask for one overlooking the beach.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
Dear Melissa P: We are thrilled to hear you had such a wonderful time with us at The Westin Beach Resort & Spa, Fort Lauderdale. We appreciate your comments regarding our signature Westin outlets and amenities. We hope to see you again very soon for your next stay on beautiful Fort Lauderdale Beach.

Orlando, Florida
Reviewed April 3, 2014

I would like to thank Kevin Laines (pool attendant extraordinaire) for being so kind, thoughtful and for remembering me from day to day at the pool. Being called by your name makes someone feel cared for and important. Thank you Kevin for going above and beyond and making a difference! You have a beautiful smile and happy personality that makes others feel happy too! Thank you!

Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
Dear smileg2: We are thrilled to hear you had such a wonderful time with us at The Westin Beach Resort & Spa, Fort Lauderdale. We appreciate your comments regarding the outstanding service provided by Kevin. He will be delighted to hear such positive feedback. We hope to see you again very soon for your next stay in beautiful Fort Lauderdale at the Westin.

Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed April 3, 2014

We were in town for 2 days and wanted to have a nice breakfast someplace overlooking the ocean. Keep in mind we were from Chicago and had a terribly cold winter and wanted to dine outside. We took a taxi and saw the patio at The Westin Beach Resort and thought it was the perfect place to eat a breakfast/brunch. We entered off the A1A, through the patio where people were dining and saw many empty tables and were happy that we could be seated rather fast. We asked Sade the hostess if we could sit on the patio. She very rudely told us NO--the patio was closed! I said, "Really because we saw people out there eating and saw many tables." She said, they were closing the patio! I said we made our taxi stop when we saw this patio and really were looking forward to it. Then I asked if she could ask her manager if we could sit outside. She rolled her eyes and gave us the most disgusted look! Wow! SADE should NOT be working with the public as a hostess at a 5 star hotel. She was very rude and made us feel unwelcome and that she was put out! She finally seated us and then the food was cold and overall not a good place. Save your money and Go somewhere else!!!!!!!

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
2 Thank Miksnave
Dear Miksnave: Please accept our sincerest apologies for your poor experience at Shula’s on the Beach. We pride ourselves in delivering an undefeated dining experience and apologize for any inconvenience and frustration that this experience may have caused. We will be sure to address your concerns with our F&B Director to ensure a similar situation does not occur again. We hope that you give us another opportunity to provide you with the service that Shula’s on the Beach is known for and hope that we can restore your confidence in the Shula’s on the Beach family!