“Hotel so so, the view amazing”

The Westin Beach Resort, Fort Lauderdale
Ranked #28 of 128 Hotels in Fort Lauderdale
Reviewed March 30, 2014 via mobile

The hotel looks a little tired. Our phone didn't work and the staff was snotty and indifferent. Even the bellman gave us the cold shoulder when on arrival he was called to assist with our luggage but some clients arrived after on Mercedes so he chose to help them instead We had to unload and carry our luggage and when we informed the front desk they didn't seem to care too much. Being SPG Platinum the reception we got was definitely not appropriate. On the plus side We did love the amazing view of our ocean front view room. I would recommend this hotel only as a last resort.

Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
3  Thank danild
HotelMgmtFTL, Manager at The Westin Beach Resort, Fort Lauderdale, responded to this reviewResponded April 2, 2014

Dear danild: Thank you for taking the time to express your thoughts! We appreciate your insight regarding our accommodations. Please know that your feedback is important to us as we work to improve the product and services offered to our guests. Thanks again for your feedback and for sharing your experiences with us.

Reviewed March 29, 2014

A great hotel & location for a quiet beach vacation. Our room was awesome - ocean view. We have no trouble with beach chairs, umbrella rentals, or pool chairs. Service was great. We booked this trip at the last minute using Expedia and I am pleased with every aspect of the vacation. Additionally - the staff at the hotel, "Stormin' the Doorman" (Storme), Brandon W. at the Front Desk, and all of the valet staff were a huge help during our stay.

Room Tip: Our room was an Ocean Front room - pay for the upgrade and listen to the waves all day - it was well...
1  Thank Holly S

Dear Holly S: Thank you for your kind words. We're happy to hear that you enjoyed your accommodations, as well as our ambience and friendly staff. We hope to see you again soon for another relaxing Westin stay!

Reviewed March 29, 2014

My husband and I decided to get away from the cold weather for 5 days. We'd never been to Ft. Lauderdale and chose to stay at the Westin. We had a great trip. The Westin was at a great location- within walking distance to restaurants, shops, the yacht docks, and more. We did not rent a car so it was nice to be able to walk everywhere. The Westin was a good hotel. It was very clean and although we did not interact much with staff, they were all pleasant when we did. The worst thing about the room was their bathroom- no privacy at all. There is a shutter that you can open to look out of the bathroom to the room, who wants that? The door is a sliding shutter door, which seems very strange. Other than the bathroom, we liked the room, beds were very comfortable and we were upgraded to a partial view which was beautiful. We also liked having the option to opt out of room service and receive a $5 credit towards participating Westin purchases. The worst experience we had at the Westin was having breakfast at Shula's the last day. It was terrible service. We got there at 9 and didn't leave until after 10. (took us 10 minutes to eat) My husband ordered a Bloody Mary that took forever to get b/c they didn't have anyone to open the bar. (another table waiting longer than us for theirs) Breakfast took about 30 minutes to get (breakfast is the quickest meal to make!) after finally ordering it, which meant we had to shove it down in order to catch a taxi for our flight. Our waiter was also bad, had to ask several times for a water and it took him forever to wait on us. The only redeeming thing about that experience was they did discount our meal for having so much trouble which we did appreciate. The pool and beach were great. Pool attendants are very pleasant. Just remember the pool gets busy quick but they do have a policy that if a chair is empty for 30+ minutes they will give it to another one. The Westin also offers limited chairs available on the beach, free of charge as long as you do not need more than 2. This was lovely to have since you don't travel with chairs and towels. Keep in mind again, chairs are VERY limited on the beach so I can see where at a busier traveling time chairs would be extremely hard to get. (pool & beach wise)

Room Tip: Book directly through Westin- I found they have the best deals. If you book through a 3rd party, th...
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank bny87

Dear bny87: Thank you for taking the time to let us know about your recent experience at our resort. We're very sorry to hear about your disappointment with your breakfast at Shula's on the Beach, and we are passing your comments along for future improvements. Thank you for also sharing the positives about your stay; including our beautiful location and views from our Heavenly guestrooms.

Reviewed March 26, 2014

I live locally and I needed some rest and relaxation. So I decided to get a 50 minute Aspire massage at the Heavenly Spa, complete with reviving aromatherapy oils. Jenny was my massage therapist and she was excellent! I would like to commend her and her services. Jessi at the front desk was warm and friendly and made me feel very welcomed as soon as I walked through the door. The whole experience was amazing, so thank you!

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled solo
HotelMgmtFTL, Manager at The Westin Beach Resort, Fort Lauderdale, responded to this reviewResponded April 3, 2014

Dear JennyB1511: We are delighted to hear that you had such a wonderful and relaxing experience at the Heavenly Spa, located inside The Westin Beach Resort & Spa, Fort Lauderdale. Be sure to check out our monthly spa specials for April, by calling our spa reception desk. We look forward to seeing you again soon for another rejuvenating treatment.

Reviewed March 25, 2014

Stayed here for nearly a week and enjoyed touring the beach, Fort Lauderdale area, and Miami. I thought the hotel was a solid 4 or 4.5 star hotel. The rooms were nice, clean, and a good size. We were on the south side of the hotel with a view of the beach to the left, waterways to the right, and condo building across the street. We didn't eat at the hotel since it was quite expensive. For breakfast we went to the on site Starbucks. The Starbucks though charges a premium over other locations with the regular price tag on items crossed out and replaced with a higher cost sticker sometimes a couple dollars more.

The number of people at the hotel at the beginning of our stay was very high and lowered towards the end of our stay. At the beginning if we went to the beach in the morning after 10 or 10:30 am you could not get a beach chair. They were very limited.

We tried going to the pool after a visit to the beach and it was the same thing. No patio chairs. Another day we did get chairs by the pool though. Note that they have a few umbrellas they can wheel over for you at no cost, just a gratuity if you'd care to.

There are restaurants in walking distance. The bonnet house is walking distance and we even walked from the mall which also has a few restaurants as well. The latter is about a 25-30 minute walk. There is a water text stop close by too. We didn't walk to las olas since it's a pretty far trek.

Valet was expensive and often slow. Overall I'd definitely return.

Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 24, 2014

This hotel has a lot to be improved upon. While the hotel rooms are fine, there are a few issues that need to be worked on. First of all, there are not enough beach chairs. Not even close to enough. It is just poor management that is the case. Secondly, I am a platinum Starwood member and I requested bottled water to my room and they almost charged me for it until I pointed that out. I realize that I as there during spring break, so I'm sure the hotel is overworked during this busy time, but the staff were not as receptive or nice as I have come to expect from the normally consistent Westin hotels. It's the little things that make a difference and this Westin failed at every mark.

I almost changed my stay to the W two doors down, should I come back to Ft Lauderdale I would definitely stay at the W instead of the Westin. It was a significantly nicer hotel for not a lot more money, the staff were hospitable and more service oriented and the facilities are far superior.

4  Thank NicoleNYC2014

Dear NicoleNYC2014: Thank you for taking the time to share with us your feedback from your recent stay at The Westin Beach Resort & Spa, Fort Lauderdale. First and foremost, please accept our sincerest apologies for the challenges and difficulties you encountered throughout your stay, as this is certainly not the experience we aim to provide our guests. Your comments are very much appreciated, as this will help us to improve the quality and service of our hotel and the products we offer. Thank you again for your feedback.

Reviewed March 24, 2014

My cousin from Michigan was visiting for her birthday. I had made reservations by phone. When I arrived, There was not a reservation. Turned out my reservation was for Westin - Fort Lauderdale, not Westin "on the beach". We were devastated......Alin Bodea at the front desk completely saved our celebration. He was so calming and professional in the midst of our calamity! Then Storm the Doorman was a dream. He got us settled in our room like we were royalty! Our room was gorgeous,with a beautiful view. Pool was open 24 hours so we enjoyed midnight swims.Best Birthday ever for my cousin! We had such a wonderful time. No more driving down to the keys with my out of town guests. I will be bringing all to to this Westin. Thank you for a real good time!

1  Thank 007Mom