“Great hotel. Nice views. Good location.”

The Westin Beach Resort, Fort Lauderdale
Ranked #31 of 127 Hotels in Fort Lauderdale
Reviewed March 25, 2014

Stayed here for nearly a week and enjoyed touring the beach, Fort Lauderdale area, and Miami. I thought the hotel was a solid 4 or 4.5 star hotel. The rooms were nice, clean, and a good size. We were on the south side of the hotel with a view of the beach to the left, waterways to the right, and condo building across the street. We didn't eat at the hotel since it was quite expensive. For breakfast we went to the on site Starbucks. The Starbucks though charges a premium over other locations with the regular price tag on items crossed out and replaced with a higher cost sticker sometimes a couple dollars more.

The number of people at the hotel at the beginning of our stay was very high and lowered towards the end of our stay. At the beginning if we went to the beach in the morning after 10 or 10:30 am you could not get a beach chair. They were very limited.

We tried going to the pool after a visit to the beach and it was the same thing. No patio chairs. Another day we did get chairs by the pool though. Note that they have a few umbrellas they can wheel over for you at no cost, just a gratuity if you'd care to.

There are restaurants in walking distance. The bonnet house is walking distance and we even walked from the mall which also has a few restaurants as well. The latter is about a 25-30 minute walk. There is a water text stop close by too. We didn't walk to las olas since it's a pretty far trek.

Valet was expensive and often slow. Overall I'd definitely return.

Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple

Reviewed March 24, 2014

This hotel has a lot to be improved upon. While the hotel rooms are fine, there are a few issues that need to be worked on. First of all, there are not enough beach chairs. Not even close to enough. It is just poor management that is the case. Secondly, I am a platinum Starwood member and I requested bottled water to my room and they almost charged me for it until I pointed that out. I realize that I as there during spring break, so I'm sure the hotel is overworked during this busy time, but the staff were not as receptive or nice as I have come to expect from the normally consistent Westin hotels. It's the little things that make a difference and this Westin failed at every mark.

I almost changed my stay to the W two doors down, should I come back to Ft Lauderdale I would definitely stay at the W instead of the Westin. It was a significantly nicer hotel for not a lot more money, the staff were hospitable and more service oriented and the facilities are far superior.

4  Thank NicoleNYC2014
HotelMgmtFTL, Manager at The Westin Beach Resort, Fort Lauderdale, responded to this reviewResponded April 3, 2014

Dear NicoleNYC2014: Thank you for taking the time to share with us your feedback from your recent stay at The Westin Beach Resort & Spa, Fort Lauderdale. First and foremost, please accept our sincerest apologies for the challenges and difficulties you encountered throughout your stay, as this is certainly not the experience we aim to provide our guests. Your comments are very much appreciated, as this will help us to improve the quality and service of our hotel and the products we offer. Thank you again for your feedback.

Reviewed March 24, 2014

My cousin from Michigan was visiting for her birthday. I had made reservations by phone. When I arrived, There was not a reservation. Turned out my reservation was for Westin - Fort Lauderdale, not Westin "on the beach". We were devastated......Alin Bodea at the front desk completely saved our celebration. He was so calming and professional in the midst of our calamity! Then Storm the Doorman was a dream. He got us settled in our room like we were royalty! Our room was gorgeous,with a beautiful view. Pool was open 24 hours so we enjoyed midnight swims.Best Birthday ever for my cousin! We had such a wonderful time. No more driving down to the keys with my out of town guests. I will be bringing all to to this Westin. Thank you for a real good time!

1  Thank 007Mom
Reviewed March 23, 2014

My friends and I stayed at the resort for the weekend. The hotel was perfectly situated and we had a spectacular ocean view. The front desk staff, valets and bellmen were very welcoming and accommodating. Also, we were very pleased with the hospitality and service we received from Molly at the concierge desk. She was exceptionally friendly and helpful and was very knowledgable about the area. She gave us excellent dining recommendations. We were very impressed that we were offered a hospitality room well after check-out in order to freshen up after the beach and before departing the hotel. We will definitely make this hotel a regular on our getaways.

Stayed: March 2014, traveled with friends
1  Thank Alex0418

Dear Alex0418: Thank you for choosing the Westin as your staycation destination here on Fort Lauderdale Beach! We're thrilled to hear you and your friends have such a lovely experience at our resort and we look forward to seeing again for another relaxing weekend stay!

Reviewed March 20, 2014

Negatives: The hotel consists of 2 towers connected with a glass inclosed bridge. Very confusing set up to get around. We were in the North tower and it was a rediculous feat to get to the starbucks (that had a huge line) every morning. From 14th floor go to floor 3, walk a bit to the bridge to get to the other tower and locate the other set of elevators to get down to 1st floor. This was the "only" way and very complicating.
The pool is somewhat small and congested. It gets full fast. Hard to get chairs. The street to get to the beach is a 2 way highway and can be dangerous to cross. You do have the option of another connecting bridge which takes you to an elevator down. Stuffy and small. After I saw a couple stuck the elevator waiting for help....I chose the risk of running across the highway. If you want a chaise and umbrella at the beach, go very early, 9am or you'll be out of luck. You can't "reserve" chairs which means someone needed to stay at the chairs once you got them. Each room gets a complementary 2 chairs the umbrella is $20 a day.
Dark/dim lobby. Shula's drinks on the pricer side. Hotel Sundries store very small and not impressive. Carpet in halls dirty but not bothersome. My ac sounded like a clothes dryer with sneakers in it but I stuck it out. Yet with all these inconviences/ negatives, I possibly would consider staying there again. However the bathroom setup is a deal breaker for me. Had I known the design of them, I definately would have chosen a different hotel. I cannot figure out the reasoning for this? A sliding louver door and a big louvered window that folded open to the bed as if you were going to sell ice cream? You could see and hear everything from outside of the bathroom. Maybe ok for some people? But it was very uncomfortable for those in my room. I had to ask for 2 sheets from housekeeping and thumbtacked to cover both. Didn't help much with the sound. My friends, who had another room chose every morning to go the long distance to the conference room bathrooms for privacy. Not very accomodating. I was told all the bathrooms were the same when I asked to be moved to a different room.
Postives: I did like the location. Close enough to walk to the CVS and shops yet far enough from the craziness of the "springbreak" kids. And it can get very crazy down that section!
With AAA you get complimentary valet parking which is I believe $28.00 per night. The valet employers were great. Storme, the doorman was awesome. Very helpful and friendly. Fatima at the front desk was also very accomodating.
All and all I wish I could say I am likely to book here again, however the negatives for me outway the positives. If it were my last resort, yes I would. My next visit I would give the hotels next door a try. I think the prices are equivelent but if not I would pay the extra if necessary for a "normal" bathroom setup.

Room Tip: "double check if any of the rooms have a normal bathroom"
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled with friends
1  Thank ravenbad

Dear ravenbad: Thank you so much for staying with us and choosing our hotel as your travel destination. We appreciate you mentioning your opinion of the bathroom doors, as we are currently discussing ways to improve the privacy and functionality of this feature with our Engineering team. Thanks again for taking the time to share your review and we hope your travels will bring you back soon to The Westin Beach Resort & Spa, Fort Lauderdale.

Reviewed March 19, 2014

We had excellent service and enjoyed the location. We had a beautiful ocean view from our room and found the hotel public areas to be lovely.
I didn't really like the louvered bathroom door/window - it did not allow for much privacy in the bathroom but that was a minor detail
Overall, we all loved this hotel....would definitely go back!

1  Thank Pkkq
Reviewed March 17, 2014

1. Location is good as it's very close to Las Olas Blvd. On that same note, you should know that it's ACROSS a busy street from the beach. However, they, unlike other hotels, have a pedestrian bridge from the pool area to the beach.

2. This is the worst Westin we have stayed in and we've stayed at quite a few.

3. Bathroom: NO privacy. The bathrooms are separated from the bedrooms with little to no privacy. The door is louvered and, bizarrely, ours had a large window into the room with a louvered shutter! If you opened that shuttered window into the room, you had a nice view of anyone sitting on the toilet or showering. You hear absolutely everything from the bathroom into the room, so if you're traveling with a teenager or anyone who'd like to sleep in, good luck.

4. One of our beds sufficiently sagged in the middle as to cause us to roll into middle our first night. Very uncomfortable. We when mentioned this to a front desk staffer we approached our first morning there, he became indignant assuring us that it was a Westin Heavenly bed and those don't sag. When we asked if it was possible to move to another room, he told us to return late afternoon and pretty much dismissed us at that point. So much for being a Starwood Preferred client.

5. Pool/Beach: Out of four days there, the pool was understaffed three days - one young man working the towel desk because only four towels per ROOM are allowed, irrespective of how many guests are in the room. One day they had very nice white lounge chair covers which really are needed for hygiene given that the lounge chair mesh were dirty. When I asked why they didn't have them every day, I was told they were being washed and that they were short of towels as well. There was often a line of 3-5 people long waiting for towels.

Beach side lounge chairs close at 4:45 p.m. meaning they ask you to get off the chairs so they can be locked up. They don't open until around 9 or 9:30 a.m. or whenever the staffer shows up. One day at 9:45 he still hadn't shown up and the hotel said they were "trying to track him down for the keys" to the lounge chairs!! They eventually found the keys. NOTE: Guests get two chairs per room, after that it's $14 a day per chair. They ran out of chairs each day we were there and don't have a wait-list for chairs, so chairs get handed out to the first person to grab them.

Poolside food was pretty good, not cheap, but limited menu. We ate from it twice. It doesn't open until 11:30 a.m. and there's no water available poolside prior to that. Their service once open was fast and efficient.

7. Valet/doormen was very friendly, helpful and efficient if you called ahead for your car. That said there is NO self-parking which is absurd when the car park is easily accessed.

8. Front desk was fine except for the one staffer we approached with our concerns regarding the bathroom and sagging bed. The second staffer later that day was more helpful and polite and moved us to a handicapped room with a private bathroom.

9. We were in the process of changing rooms, when the housekeeper showed up and was angry that we'd complained about the bed. She asked us to show her exactly where the bed sagged - she actually expected me to remove the covers/sheets and show her. She was even less thrilled when we told her it was irrelevant as we were changing rooms. Oh, and that room had not been dusted in days, but was otherwise clean. (We've never been approached like that by a housekeeper. It was embarrassing.)

Basically, this could be a great hotel, but it is very far from it. Service is lacking due to understaffing and a few rude staffers. Generally, most of the staff we encountered were very genial and polite. I found the hotel outdated, in need of repairs (we had peeling paint in the bathrooms), air conditioner was extremely loud and seemed old, carpets were stained in both bedrooms and in some hallways.

I would not stay here again and would reserve another Westin with extreme caution and research. Disappointed with this one.

Room Tip: If you want a private bathroom, ask for a handicapped room. We were told those were the only ones wi...
5  Thank cubamom

Dear cubamom: Your feedback is very valuable to us and we appreciate you taking the time to share your experience on Trip Advisor. Please accept our apologies that your room did not provide the experience you were anticipating. Thank you for also mentioning your opinion of the bathroom doors, as we are currently discussing ways to improve the privacy and functionality of this feature. Again, thank you for taking the time to share your review and we hope your travels will bring you back soon to The Westin Beach Resort & Spa, Fort Lauderdale.