“Good location but still needs updating.”

The Westin Beach Resort, Fort Lauderdale
Ranked #28 of 128 Hotels in Fort Lauderdale
Reviewed July 12, 2012

We stayed at the Westin Beach Resort in Fort Lauderdale for 3 nights following a week long cruise. When reading other reviews of this hotel I had hoped that the reviewers were just picky about certain things, unfortunately we found that all the reviews are true.

Don't get me wrong...it's a decent hotel and the service was good...but there were just too many things that continued to bug me through out our stay. Number one...who thought it was okay to put plantation shutter doors on the bathroom and only a half glass partition in the shower? Talk about lack of privacy and water all over the place! Number two...why is it that the carpet in one of the towers is nice and plush but the other tower's carpet is old and stained? When I asked, I was told that they just hadn't gotten around to replacing it yet. Number 3...$25 a day for parking is pretty ridiculous and tough on the pocket book, plus since you can only valet your car then you're also expected to tip the valets. Number 4...The pool area is a joke in and of it's self. I've stayed at cheaper hotels with nicer pools than this.

On the plus side...the hotels location is great considering it's right across from the beach and within walking distance of plenty of restaurants. Also, they've done a really great job of sound proofing the rooms...we knew there was a large group of people on either side of us because we could here them from the hallway but once in the room all was silent.

If asked if we would stay here again my answer would have to be maybe, but only if we got a really great deal.

Room Tip: Ask to stay in the newer updated part of the hotel.
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
5  Thank janabm81
HotelMgmtFTL, Manager at The Westin Beach Resort, Fort Lauderdale, responded to this reviewResponded July 17, 2012

Dear janabm81: We appreciate your comments and are glad to hear you enjoyed your recent stay at our property and our beautiful beachfront location. Regarding our guest bathrooms, we are currently looking into ways to improve the privacy and functionality of our bathrooms, as we have received similar comments from other guests. Again, thank you for your valuable feedback, as we are always looking for ways to improve our product and service.

Reviewed July 12, 2012

We stayed at this hotel at the last minute so we just went there based on the fact that Westin typically has a nice, clean hotel and this was on the beach.

The location is great - you can walk to other many places to eat and generally people watch. The room was clean and quiet. I do like the Westin beds compared to many other hotels. The food was good and eating by the pool was easy and nice with kids.

The items that I didn't like - the pool was small and very deep in the shallow end. There were steps going in but at the bottom it was well over 3 feet in the shallow end and with preschool/lower elementary school age kids with us, they wanted to be able to stand in the pool. In addition as others have said - there was a great lack of umbrellas so we would eat at the pool and sit under the shade. We did spend most of the time at the beach but the kids liked to go in the pool in the afternoon and it was a very kid friendly pool.

In the room, there was a weird shutter between the bathroom and the main room that didn't lock. As you can imagine with young kids, they loved opening it whenever someone went into the bathroom and I found the whole design strange and annoying. I am not sure if that was just our room or in all rooms but with kids - I wanted a lock on the shutter in the very least.

We did not use the spa or the kids club (it is not open often) so I can't comment on either of those. Overall, it was ok but I wouldn't say this is a hotel that can't be missed.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family

Dear 2kidstraveling: Thank you for taking the time to post your feedback regarding your recent experience with us at the Westin Beach Resort & Spa. We greatly appreciate you sharing your feedback and we will certainly look into your concerns about the areas you addressed in your review. Thank you for staying with us and we do hope we have the chance to welcome you back again in the near future!

Reviewed July 11, 2012

I made a booking through Hotwire (unpublished hotel) and was surprised to get to the Westin for USD 87/night plus USD 17.51 taxes.

Parking: aprox. USD 25/night (additional).

The hotel is aprox. 15 minutes from the airport in a convenient location at the nice beach.

The rooms are large and clean; with a powerful aircondition, windows and sliding-door to open.
Nice large bed with a comfortable mattress.
A coffeemaker with starbucks coffee (complimentary)
Workdesk: functional
Large flat TV.
Bathroom: large and functional.

Watch out:
Only ONE bottle of water is complimentary; the other is for sale - similar labels led to believe that both are free.
Internet is charged for; I purchased the basic plan and the speed was very slow.

Downside: some areas could do with some maintenance (poor painting of the door-area; see pic)

Gym: located in the south-tower.
Nice, clean, and with a good number of new/well maintained exercise equipment.

Resumee: Nice and convenient place; nice location - but almost every detail is charged for.

some maintenance - painting on the door - would have been nice.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank tom_brd
HotelMgmtFTL, Manager at The Westin Beach Resort, Fort Lauderdale, responded to this reviewResponded August 1, 2012

Dear tom_brd: Thank you for your feedback and for taking the time to post your comments about your recent stay at The Westin Beach Resort & Spa, Fort Lauderdale. We do take all comments seriously and appreciate your honesty. Again thank you again for your feedback and for also sharing what you enjoyed most at our oceanfront property.

Reviewed July 11, 2012

Living locally in Ft Lauderdale I am blessed with many beautiful hotel choices on the ocean. Yet, I find that I keep returning to this beautiful hotel for 2 nights here, 3 nights there and so on having now added up to 28 nights. Last week we came here again to enjoy the 4th of July and ended up staying extra nights just because we so love the pool area and its friendly service. Our first 2 nights we were able to have one of the wonderful cabana rooms, then as we added extra nights we had to change rooms but Delfina Brest and at the front desk along with the front desk manager Enrique Irizarry were able to put us in a lovely ocean front room on the 14th floor. While I love the pool deck I don't like all day sun so once we moved out of the cabana room I arose each morning at 6:30 AM, grabbed my coffee at the lovely Starbucks with ocean view right on the hotel property and made my way to the first come - first serve free cabanas to insure I had the use of one for the day. Having stayed at this hotel for 28 nights since Westin renovated it this is my normal routine as I so much enjoy the free cabanas. every morning I rise with the sun, grab the great coffee and get down to take my place on a cabana. What could be better? As my wife and I asked ourselves why we keep returning to this hotel and recommending it to many others the answer dawned on us. Even more than the wonderful facilities it is because of the employees here who exhibit great customer service. People like Delfina, Enrique, Andre Arrango and Alex Nagy all played a role in last week's wonderful time at the Westin. However, since my wife and I spend ALL of our time on the pool deck it is the wonderful, friendly, and professional team of the pool Manager Ray Alvarez and his team of Joe Cegarda, Jon Marchel and Chrystian Zuraite who really make our stays perfect. Having stayed at the hotel and having been pool side so many times I have come to look forward to their smiles and friendly service and help. That friendly service continues all day as they stop and check in on you to insure your needs are being met. Last week one day it rained twice in the morning. Ray Alvarez changed my cabana linen and towels 3 different times, each time with a smile on his face and exhibiting optimism that the sun would soon be out to stay. Of course, he was right. By noon the sun came out and it was yet another great day. So my wife and I realized that we keep returning primarily because of the staff, because of people like Ray and the others I have mentioned who do their best to insure that we are able to relax and enjoy the beauty around us. During my many stays at pool side over the years it is has been Ray and his team that catered to my needs always in a friendly, courteous and professional way that draws us back again and again. Even my grandchildren who occasionally accompany us to the hotel have come to know Ray and his team. As soon as we arrive they ask if we can go down to the pool and see Ray. I hope Ray is there for many, many years so that my grandchildren will be welcomed to this hotel pool just as I have been for these past years. My grandchildren are becoming the next generation of Starwood Gold members who will return to this hotel just as I have - because of the professional staff exemplified by people like Ray Alvarez and each of the others that I have paid tribute to in this review.

Room Tip: Any ocean front room away from the elevators is great.
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank joenuzz2

Dear joenuzz2: Thank you so much for taking the time to share such a touching review! We were very pleased to learn how much you enjoyed your stay with us and would like to thank you for letting us know how impressed you were with the service you received. Customer care is amongst our highest priorities and it is always gratifying to receive such praise. We can’t wait for your next visit and would like to take this opportunity to thank you for your continued support.

Reviewed July 11, 2012

My husband and I needed a little "get away" so we chose The Westin and are thrilled we did! We asked if they had any complimentary upgrades which they did happily. We asked the conciege for restaurant suggestions and he sent us to Casablanca Cafe and even gave us a $25 gift card to it! Then the next morning we were given a $25 gift card for breakfast at the hotel restaurant which is Shulas. Liz at the front desk was amazing! We will definitely come back. Even the cleaning woman was helpful with my bags. The room was very clean, bed very comfy!

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank cindylouR
Reviewed July 10, 2012

Fantastic location and excellent and knowledgable staff. Stayed here after a cruise and had a great time. Nice, comfortable, and updated rooms. Shula's steakhouse right in front. Will be coming back in the future.

• Stayed: July 2012
2  Thank jjohns1026
Management response:Responded July 12, 2012

Dear jjohns1026: Thank you for taking the time to post your feedback regarding your recent experience with us at The Westin Beach Resort & Spa, Fort Lauderdale. We truly appreciate your feedback and were glad to hear your stay was enjoyable and relaxing, perfect for a post-cruise stay! Again, thank you for sharing your review about your time here with us!

Reviewed July 9, 2012

Service and staff were very good. All the staff were friendly and extra helpful. Our ocean front room was nice. It was clean and modern. The bed was the most comfortable I've slept in for years. My only real complaint concerns the pool and beach. I like to get out early and catch the morning sun. Unfortunately, I couldn't get towels until around 8am. Further, the beach staff didn't arrive to put out chairs and umbrellas until after 9am. Then they pack them up at 5pm. We ended up laying in the sand morning and afternoon. Thankfully, the beach is beautiful!!!

Room Tip: Avoid the two ocean front rooms that are directly in front of the elevator. The doors are thin, so y...
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Rafi A
Management response:Responded July 12, 2012

Dear Rafi A: Thank you for sharing your review with us, it sounds like you had the perfect beach getaway and enjoyed all of our wonderful amenities. We look forward to welcoming you back again soon!