“Girls Getaway”

The Westin Beach Resort, Fort Lauderdale
Ranked #27 of 128 Hotels in Fort Lauderdale
Reviewed June 13, 2011

Resort was great! Got upgraded to an ocean view room upon arrival and the service was outstanding! Perfect spot for a girls getaway...walking distance to bars and restaurants which was a plus! There is a sky walk over the A1A highway to get to the beach so you don't even have to cross the busy street! Starbucks on the premises which was also a plus. Staff was all very friendly and polite.

Room Tip: Be a member of the Starwood Hotels group!
  • Stayed: May 2011, traveled with friends
Write a ReviewReviews (3,687)

Reviewed June 12, 2011

I recently rented three rooms at the Westin Beach Resort and Spa in Fort Lauderdale over Memorial Day weekend as part of a celebratory weekend for a friend getting married. Every single aspect of our stay was wonderful. The property is clean and orderly. The rooms were spacious and cleaned well every day (not an easy task with nine women, five beach chairs, umbrellas, coolers and more). The facilities, including the pool deck and restaurant and the crosswalk to the beach were clean and accessible. These things are what guests should expect but do not often get from a stay at a nice hotel.

I truly feel we received five start service. Everyone from the valet, concierge, registration desk, bellmen, pool area staff, restaurant staff and more were extremely helpful and gracious. We were time and time again pleasantly surprised by the service we received. When the pool had availability for a cabana or our guest rooms were available for check-in, we were notified via telephone. When we needed extra towels or a fridge in a room, we received it immediately and even had a follow up call to make sure we were satisfied. When we asked for a pizza menu, we got three. Our vehicles were never more than a five minute wait, not easily done on a busy holiday weekend. One of my guests even left her credit card at the gift shop and your employees drove it to the airport to give it to her before her flight.

As a conventions and meeting planner, and a SPG preferred guest, I stay at several hotels each month. It is not easy to impress me, but the Westin Fort Lauderdale Beach Resort and Spa did.

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled with friends
2  Thank TravelChica2129
Reviewed June 9, 2011

The service we received was pretty good, and exceptionally excellent from one of the hotel's concierge's, Jorge Hernandez. Mr. Hernandez was pleasant, very helpful with all of our inquiries, and made very good recommendations. He is well mannered, polite, helpful, and very well versed and knowledgable with the places to go, see and things to do in Ft. Lauderdale. Kudos to him!
The room, on the other hand, was somewhat of a disappointment. The hotel implies, with pictures, what appears to be "walk out balconies". To our dismay, the room, albiet a beautiful ocean front view, had no balcony. It appeared that the hotel offered no balconies in any of their rooms.
But I what I believe to be the most unpleasant experience was when we phsically left the hotel. The door man advised us that we could use the hotel's shuttle to the airport, assuring us that fare would be the same as a taxi. Well to our surprise, when we got to the airport, and essentially unable to do anything about it, the shuttle driver charged us about $15 more dollars than the cab ride to the hotel from the airport! I don't know if there is some kickback to the hotel, or some personal arrangement between the shuttle driver and the doorman, but to us, this left an unpleasant experience and a poor reflection of The Westin.

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Haunch
Reviewed June 9, 2011

I was in the Fort Lauderdale area and chose this location because of the kids club. My daughter who is 6yrs old was released out of school earlier than most so I decided to take her with me while I was working in the area.

I spoke with Judy extensively on the phone prior to arriving. Not only did she make me feel comfortable with the idea leaving my daughter in her care but she made me feel excited about what a great opportunity this would be. My daughter couldn't wait to get there!

The kids club has three flat screen TV's, movies, gaming and tons of arts and crafts and projects to increase learning and to keep the kids occupied all day long. When I came to pick my daughter up at the end of the day, she couldn't wait to show me all of the things she and Judy made. She didn't want to leave! They went to the beach and collected shells, made keychains, had lunch, made a picture frame (picture of my daughter already in the frame!) and much much more. My daughter was also given a backpack a water bottle and a camera. All of this plus childcare for the entire day was only $55. Unbelievable!

Judy is an exceptional lady with a huge heart and a knack for connecting with children. This is definitely her calling!! One last thing.. the day that I went the kids club wasn't even open. Judy came in on her day off and opened the club just for my daughter. It truly was a VIP experience.

I am looking forward to coming back several times this summer. This time I will bring both of my kids! They can't wait..

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled on business
Reviewed June 8, 2011

Ocean front views are very good although some of them will overlook the pool deck area. No balconies either. Make sure you understand which room you are getting prior to checking in. Some rooms in the rear of the hotel may look directly into some ugly buildings. Rooms are nicely updated. In room refrigerators are not all that cold so a portable unit was brought up to the room. Workout room was not large but equipment was in good working order. Access to the beach is via a walkway over the A1A which was very convenient. Parking is expensive and valet is the only option at $25.00/day. Staff was professional, pleasant, and very quick with follow-up to any questions or requests. I will echo what others say about the bathrooms in the room. Depending on who you are rooming with you may not like the fact that the louvered door has gaps even when closed and it is quite easy to see into the shower area from the rest of the room. Also the shower door was only a "half" glass stationary door. Water would splatter outside on the floor and multiple towels were needed to soak up the water. Not a big deal really. No bath either. The pool area was pretty nice although it could use a little updating and some cleaning. For example, there were 4 cabanas but the cloth was wind whipped and shredded in places. The tempered glass surrounding the pool area looked like it hadn't been cleaned in weeks. If you are at the pool and you have your lounge pointed at the ocean, the view is obstructed because the glass was so dirty. Attention to the small details would make a big difference. Overall though, the Westin was a very nice experience.

Room Tip: Ask for upgrade to intercoastal or ocean view
  • Stayed: June 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 8, 2011

I stayed 1 nighr for business. My upgraded room looked out over the beach, and although not spacious, was perfectly clean and maintained, with nice furniture, pale pastel aqua decor, and had the usual super comfortable Westin beds, nice showers and big towels. The bathrooms are cool - big sliding shutter for door (someone else commented that it wasn't enough privacy - to each his own, old timer...)
Outdoor pool area with cabanas, nice staff and exceptional concierge (hi George). Ate in the restaurant, service was attentive, and the wedge salad was great. The crabcake though - that was possibly the best I've had and as that's one of my favorite foods, you can bet I have had them all over the country. Huge chunks of crab, so perfectly cooked and combined with the outdoor seating looking over the water (well, the road, then the beach, then the water), it made for a great experience. The downside - would have been even better with family, but I had a great stay.

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled on business
Reviewed June 8, 2011

I love this hotel ! Service was absolutely impeccable as were the modern style rooms. We paid a little extra for an ocean view room, and had a great view of the ocean each day. Shula's was a little disappointing but I will review that separately. Location wise this hotel is right next to the beach. There is even an enclosed walkway over the street for easy access. Unfortunately hotel wasn't within walking distance of many locations further inland so we had to take a taxi nearly everywhere. Overall a great hotel !

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled as a couple