“beautiful hotel” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #15 of 128 Hotels in Fort Lauderdale
Rothesay
“beautiful hotel”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 11, 2006

We stay here pre-cruise Jan 26 to Jan 29. I picked this hotel, because of it's location on Los Olas Blvd. Yes, at $205.00 American, it was pricey, but asked for one of the new tower rooms over-looking the inter-coastal waterways. Well, let me tell you, the room was well worth the price. We where on the 11th floor, and could watch all the beautiful yacht's going up, and down the river. We had two queen size beds, and the room was quite large. The bathroom, was very clean, and nice with marble through out.

The Breakfast in the indego was a little pricey, but you just have to try the freshly squeezed orange juice, mmmmmm, very good. The food was good as well. The cheesecake factory was just around the corner, but Thur, Fri, and Sat, be sure to make a reservation. Very busy.

The water taxi was just to blocks away, and I just loved it. You could go from one side of Ft. Lauderdale to other, and the beach, for $7.00 all day, off and on it. You don't have to paid the big dollars for the tours on the water. The staff on the water taxi's are very informative, and tell you all about the beautiful homes, and yacht's.

Los Olas Blvd just outside the hotel, is very pricey, but you can find a bargain, if you look. I felt very safe if this area of town, had no problems, and the blvd came alive at night. Wow, the people, and the outside bars, and restaurants will amaze you. The hotel staff was very friendly, and answers all our questions, and offered suggestion about things to see, and where to go. They have a heated pool out back of there hotel. You must try it, have to use your room card to get in, and very quiet. Loved it.

The only thing I suggest is, that if you get a taxi to take you to the cruise ships, or other, get it in the front, and not the back of the hotel. We took it from the back, and the meter was already 8 dollars and something, and then we were passing the front of the hotel. I think he took the long way around. It is about $14,00 to the cruise port.

Would definitely stay at the Riverside again. Well worth the price.

3 Thank love_child56

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (419)
New York
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 30, 2006

I've stayed in this hotel before, so I was aware of the incompetent staff, and I wasn't surprised that their web site had double booked me. I was surprised that the lobby, which was being "renovated" last April, still had the sign up with no noticable changes. I could only get a room in the older, "renovated" section of the hotel, and I wasn't impressed. The bathroom fixtures were rusting, there was no double lock on the door (broken), and the materials in the bathroom were cheap and sub-standard for a $200+/day hotel for certain. Adding insult to injury, then never cleaned my room in the 2 days I was there. On a positive note, there was a nice 32" TV.

Stayed January 2006
3 Thank SavvyNewYorker
Demorest, Georgia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 26, 2006

We stayed at Riverside Hotel for 2 nights precruise. We wanted to stay on Las Olas just to have a couple of days to walk around and window shop, take in some good food, and relax. We arrived late Friday evening and checked in. I reserved a room in the remodeled "classic" area. Elevator opened and it was the smallest elevator I have ever seen. 2 women with 2 suitcases could barely fit in this thing. Hallway to room was very nice...tiled floors with soothing colors. Room was very small. We had 2 double beds with a large cabinet housing TV. Room was very nicely decorated, but small. The view was the parking lot and receiving area for valet parking and unloading. Not as quiet as I would have liked. The bathroom was tiny, but nicely done and tiled. The water was always yellow. The bathtub in our room never drained properly, so you were standing in water the whole time you took a shower. They did bring me a refrigerator to store my insulin in. Nice stocked minibar. We walked down street and ate at Cheesecake Factory. Wonderful meal. The next morning we went shopping. Very expensive stuff, but gave us some exercise and some sightseeing. Ate lunch at Mangoes. Very nice lunch and reasonable prices. Caught water taxi below hotel and rode around looking at beautiful riverside homes. The next morning we ate breakfast at hotel restaurant. Very pricey, but good. Did not feel quality was worth 25 dollars for 2 people for breakfast. Anyway, I would not stay in this section of hotel again unless price really came down. For $190 dollars a night, I expect a little more. I am not complaining about hotel, just expected a little more for price that was paid. It was nice to stay here once and see what it was like, but will probably go elsewhere on next cruise.

• 2 of 5 bubbles
7 Thank mtinga
Seattle
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 17, 2006

I booked this room with Hotels and paid $180 for a one night stay. I had viewed the hotel website and liked the photos and believed I was booking a room in at least a 3 or 4 star hotel. As previously mentioned DO NOT STAY IN THE OLDER PORTION of the hotel. (I missed those reviews and did not realize there was a difference.) The lobby is being "renovated" as mentioned..but you don't see any construction work, just a sign mentioning that they are "renovating". The elevator was vintage and I believe could only handle two people. The hallway to the room was cluttered with dirty dishes from room service. The rooms were almost scary. I did not have a secure feeling in this room. We put a chair up against the door for some sort of security. It was a very old room that did not give you a feeling that it was even clean. The toilet was an old toilet similar to what you would find in old public restrooms and when you flushed them it made a horrible noise. The shower fluctuated between hot and cold water and the water pressure also fluctuated. There was a "bottle opener" attached to the bathroom door. Our blinds did not work properly. The curtains did not close they were faux curtains. The "view" was of the parking lot and dumpster. For $180 I expected much better. I felt like I had booked a room worse then a Motel 6.

• 2 of 5 bubbles
8 Thank debging
Norway
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 8, 2006

Superb location on Las Olas Boulevard. Rooms are comfortable, well equipped and good size. Their restaurant serves fantastic steaks. Breakfast service was sometimes very slow, but all in all a good experience.

• Stayed December 2005, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank PFP
Tallahassee, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 4, 2006

We stayed December 27-30, 2005 in the Tower (Room 1119) and had an excellent experience. I was able to use rate quotes off the Riverside website to negotiate a good rate for a two queen room in the newer section of the hotel. Beds were very comfortable, no unpleasant odors, large bathroom, nice heated pool, great location on Las Olas Boulevard, and professional staff. Fyi, the hotel is within walking distance (3-4 blocks) of the Museum of Art, which is hosting the King Tut exhibit through March 2006.

• Stayed December 2005
3 Thank TLHGator
Tucson, Arizona
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 22, 2005

I recently spent 1 night in the older section of the Riverside Hotel. It's advertised as a 3-4 star hotel on Expedia.

The room was charming, as other reviewers have mentioned. Loved the 'gently-used' oak dressers and nightstands, the tall windows with elegant window treatments, and the quaint tile in the bathroom.

However, the word 'charming' does not extend to the seedy, dirty hallways leading up to the room, a whole lot of grime in certain parts of the room such as the towel rack, a hair dryer that had extensive, conspicuous cracks with exposed electrical wiring, a toilet that emitted the most disconcerting growl after the water disappeared, and a lack not only of wireless but of any internet access whatsoever. This is just a sampling of problems.

I'm sorry but at this rating and price, such things are unacceptable. In addition, as others have noted, the lobby is apparently being renovated. I say 'apparently' because there was no actual remodeling going on. Rather the lobby just doesn't look like a lobby. There's a tiny front desk almost out of sight from the entrance to the lobby, and a bunch of chairs scattered over an open area.

Even in Fort Lauderdale where classiness doesn't seem to extend from the yacht club to the hotels, this hotel comes up short.

Stayed December 2005