“On Las Olas Blvd.....”

Ranked #18 of 128 Hotels in Fort Lauderdale
Newport, Rhode Island
“On Las Olas Blvd.....”
Reviewed September 28, 2013

I'm a stickler for cleanliness, I admit it. But this hotel leaves a lot to be desired. The bathroom light switches were fitly, I cleaned them myself to feel comfortable using them-then I noticed the wall and trim around the switches looked like something out of an old gas station rest room. The shower grout was also dirty.

The A/C does not work that well-I set mine on 66 degrees and I don’t think it ever got below 74 in the five days I was here. The vent covers were very dusty.

Another minor irritation-the bed making. I expect (and tip very well) to have a bed made properly. I expect hospital corners and a nice tight bed. My sheets were simply laid across the mattress pad, and not tucked in at all or turned down at the top. I was here for business, so thankfully it was just me. I can't imagine being here with a loved one.

The wifi is free but slowww.

All of the staff was all pleasant however.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Riverside1936, Manager at Riverside Hotel, responded to this review, October 7, 2013
Good day!

I really appreciate you taking the time to write in TripAdvisor about your most recent stay at the Riverside Hotel. All of your feedback was passed along to our management and we are very happy you enjoyed our kind staff.

We are thankful for your feedback and I hope to see you return soon!

Marketing Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (431)
Kingston, Jamaica
Reviewed September 25, 2013

My husband and I celebrated our wedding anniversary recently. We wanted a vacation spot and to do some shopping as well so we rented a car. The hotel is well positioned in the middle of everything. The staff was great. We enjoyed the convenience of elevator from hotel to garage and the parking fees being charged as part of hotel stay. The food at indigo is also great. Live entertainment at 7pm is excellent. Make sure you stay in the tower side though. View of the river is fabulous. Great Italian, French, greek restaurants on the strip. We plan to make Las Olas and Riverside Hotel our regular get away spot.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank BevyWell
Good day!

I really appreciate you taking the time to write in TripAdvisor about your most recent stay at the Riverside Hotel. We were thrilled to see how much you enjoyed your stay. We passed along your kind praises to the Indigo staff as well as our entertainer, Wesley Phillips, we love him too!

We are thankful for your feedback and hope to see you return soon!

Virginia Beach
Reviewed September 23, 2013

The independent hotel is a rare breed. I can say I am usually skeptical of staying at the independents just because I think the standards that the national chains have sometimes keeps the hotel honest. The Riverside has been kept up to national luxury chain standards.

Our check in was a breeze with all three rooms ready and all three right by each other. We had opted to stay in the newer tower (right choice) and the bellman had our bags to the room very quickly. During our reservation we had requested a crib and the front desk agent noted that request and said one would be sent right up. Sure enough, within 15 minutes the crib arrived.
The room itself was very spacious. There is nothing defining about the room but the décor was classy and modern enough. Our room overlooked the city park that happened to have Oktoberfest going on. We have a little child and you could hear the concert at night through the windows. Luckily, our daughter slept right on through it.

We also took advantage of the bar in the lobby. It was nice to be able to sit on Las Olas Blvd and have a cocktail. The staff was friendly and the valet was very convenient.

Overall, this was a very solid hotel. I can’t say they did anything to blow us away, but it no way did they detract from our stay either. There are prob. nicer hotels on the beach, but this is a very solid and safe choice.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank Monacrh23
Good day!

I really appreciate you taking the time to write in TripAdvisor about your most recent stay at the Riverside Hotel. It's wonderful to see you enjoyed the amenities of the hotel as well as our wonderful staff and their attentiveness. We do apologize about he noise from Oktoberfest but are glad your daughter was able to rest. Those concerns were most definitely passed along.

One again, we are thankful for your feedback and I hope to see you return soon!

Victor, New York
Reviewed September 21, 2013

I spent two nights at the Riverside while attending a local conference. I had a room on the third floor, wasn't concerned with views or towers. The room was spotless and quiet. I am especially sensitive to noise when in a hotel, and I didn't hear anything or anyone during my stay except for the soothing sound of rain hitting my window at night (and I know there were several rooms occupied near me). The staff were wonderful - from checking me in early, to the wonderful lunch server in the Indigo restaurant to the maintenance man who checked the wifi to the young woman staff member in the gift shop to the bartender at Prestons. The ambiance at the Riverside is uniquely old time Florida with the addition of conveniences expected of today's hotels. The lump crab and spinach salad at Indigo was outstanding. The half priced drinks at happy hour at Prestons produced delicious and unexpectedly affordable White Russians (less than $5 each!!). The fitness room was small but has everything needed to work up a sweat. I truly enjoyed my stay here and would definitely return.

Room Tip: If you need to use the wifi in your room, you need to ask for a room near the router.
1 Thank robspetal
Good day!

I really appreciate you taking the time to write in TripAdvisor about your most recent stay at the Riverside Hotel. It's wonderful to see you enjoyed the incredible location of our hotel and everything downtown Fort Lauderdale has to offer. We will pass along the kind words to our staff as well!

I hope to see you return soon.

tampa
Reviewed September 20, 2013

Stayed here while taking a course and absolutely loved the location. Able to run to and on the beach. Front desk and concierge staff were awesome! We had an Executive room and it was huge and well appointed. I only had one negative, after housekeeping came the first day, the room totally smelled like smoke and had this smell throughout the rest of our stay, which was unpleasant which is why I rated the room and cleanliness less than favorable. Grounds were clean, love the decor. I would definitely stay again as long as I could request the room would smell like a smoke-free room when we return.

Room Tip: Executive rooms are definitely larger.
1 Thank tiagayepfa
Riverside1936, Manager at Riverside Hotel, responded to this review, October 15, 2013
Thank you tiagayepfa for your feedback!

I really appreciate you taking the time to write in TripAdvisor about your most recent stay at the Riverside Hotel. All of your feedback was shared with management and we can't thank you enough for sharing. We're happy you had such a pleasant stay, that you enjoyed the location and we hope you to see you back very soon!

London, UK
Reviewed September 16, 2013

I stayed at this hotel for a weekend.

The location is nice as there are quite a few restaurants and bars in the area.

We rented a car and the price to park in the car park isn’t cheap.

The reception staff very friendly.

We were given one of the older rooms, It was very big, the bed was the most comfortable bed I have slept in for a while. The view was out to the river, if you could catch a glimpse through the trees.

Driving from the airport was about ten minutes.

The only problem which was a big problem was they gave us a room that was interconnecting to a room next door. And it was literally just a door, no sound proofing. We discovered this when we could hear more or less everything they were saying one afternoon. They could probably hear everything we were saying.

This wouldn’t have been a problem, however out neighbours decided to invite a whole load of people back at 3am, I am not a light sleeper, I can sleep through most things, however this large group of people talking loudly woke myself and my boyfriend up, with no chance of going back to sleep. We had to call down to reception who sent security.

I would recommend the hotel, however make sure you do not have any of these interconnecting rooms as you don’t know who your neighbours will be.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Michelle71
Riverside1936, Manager at Riverside Hotel, responded to this review, October 1, 2013
Good day!

I really appreciate you taking the time to write in TripAdvisor about your most recent stay at the Riverside Hotel. We're thrilled you enjoyed your room as well as everything Las Olas Boulevard has to offer. We are deeply sorry about your neighbors during your stay, we have shared your thoughts with our management team and will consider your improvements during upcoming renovations.

Thank you again and I hope to see you visit the lovely Riverside Hotel again soon.

fort lauderdale
Reviewed September 12, 2013 via mobile

I stayed here recently because I was told it was centrally located . It is located on busy las olas boulevard This is convenient to shops however it is hard to find parking. the rooms are not so big and if you stay in the older section that has skipped the renovation. The rooms can be dumpy small and outdated The newer rooms. Are much more $$$$$. also they allow pets but not everywhere. They can be in the rooms. But not at the bar. Also keep in mind that alot of local residents come to the bar at happy hour and the prices for them are less at the bar. The food is very average. in the past the food was much better but they hired a new chef and the quality went down .The only decent meal here is breakfast. The lunches have barely passable burgers and sandwiches.

• Stayed September 2013
1 Thank emmyFortLauderdale
Good Day,

Thank you for your Tripadvisor of the Riverside Hotel.

We apologize that you had only a mediocre experience here at the Riverside Hotel as we truly encourage excellence in our amenities to the best of our abilities. We are sharing your thoughts with the team and hope you return to stay with us again for a much better experience.

Thank you again.