“Lovely Hotel with South Florida Charm”
Review of Riverside Hotel

Riverside Hotel
Ranked #19 of 128 Hotels in Fort Lauderdale
Penfield, New York
“Lovely Hotel with South Florida Charm”
Reviewed September 21, 2013

I spent two nights at the Riverside while attending a local conference. I had a room on the third floor, wasn't concerned with views or towers. The room was spotless and quiet. I am especially sensitive to noise when in a hotel, and I didn't hear anything or anyone during my stay except for the soothing sound of rain hitting my window at night (and I know there were several rooms occupied near me). The staff were wonderful - from checking me in early, to the wonderful lunch server in the Indigo restaurant to the maintenance man who checked the wifi to the young woman staff member in the gift shop to the bartender at Prestons. The ambiance at the Riverside is uniquely old time Florida with the addition of conveniences expected of today's hotels. The lump crab and spinach salad at Indigo was outstanding. The half priced drinks at happy hour at Prestons produced delicious and unexpectedly affordable White Russians (less than $5 each!!). The fitness room was small but has everything needed to work up a sweat. I truly enjoyed my stay here and would definitely return.

Room Tip: If you need to use the wifi in your room, you need to ask for a room near the router.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank robspetal
Riverside1936, Manager at Riverside Hotel, responded to this review, October 7, 2013
Good day!

I really appreciate you taking the time to write in TripAdvisor about your most recent stay at the Riverside Hotel. It's wonderful to see you enjoyed the incredible location of our hotel and everything downtown Fort Lauderdale has to offer. We will pass along the kind words to our staff as well!

I hope to see you return soon.

Marketing Manager – Riverside Hotel and The Las Olas Company

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (437)
tampa
Reviewed September 20, 2013

Stayed here while taking a course and absolutely loved the location. Able to run to and on the beach. Front desk and concierge staff were awesome! We had an Executive room and it was huge and well appointed. I only had one negative, after housekeeping came the first day, the room totally smelled like smoke and had this smell throughout the rest of our stay, which was unpleasant which is why I rated the room and cleanliness less than favorable. Grounds were clean, love the decor. I would definitely stay again as long as I could request the room would smell like a smoke-free room when we return.

Room Tip: Executive rooms are definitely larger.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank tiagayepfa
Riverside1936, Manager at Riverside Hotel, responded to this review, October 15, 2013
Thank you tiagayepfa for your feedback!

I really appreciate you taking the time to write in TripAdvisor about your most recent stay at the Riverside Hotel. All of your feedback was shared with management and we can't thank you enough for sharing. We're happy you had such a pleasant stay, that you enjoyed the location and we hope you to see you back very soon!

London, UK
Reviewed September 16, 2013

I stayed at this hotel for a weekend.

The location is nice as there are quite a few restaurants and bars in the area.

We rented a car and the price to park in the car park isn’t cheap.

The reception staff very friendly.

We were given one of the older rooms, It was very big, the bed was the most comfortable bed I have slept in for a while. The view was out to the river, if you could catch a glimpse through the trees.

Driving from the airport was about ten minutes.

The only problem which was a big problem was they gave us a room that was interconnecting to a room next door. And it was literally just a door, no sound proofing. We discovered this when we could hear more or less everything they were saying one afternoon. They could probably hear everything we were saying.

This wouldn’t have been a problem, however out neighbours decided to invite a whole load of people back at 3am, I am not a light sleeper, I can sleep through most things, however this large group of people talking loudly woke myself and my boyfriend up, with no chance of going back to sleep. We had to call down to reception who sent security.

I would recommend the hotel, however make sure you do not have any of these interconnecting rooms as you don’t know who your neighbours will be.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Michelle71
Riverside1936, Manager at Riverside Hotel, responded to this review, October 1, 2013
Good day!

I really appreciate you taking the time to write in TripAdvisor about your most recent stay at the Riverside Hotel. We're thrilled you enjoyed your room as well as everything Las Olas Boulevard has to offer. We are deeply sorry about your neighbors during your stay, we have shared your thoughts with our management team and will consider your improvements during upcoming renovations.

Thank you again and I hope to see you visit the lovely Riverside Hotel again soon.

fort lauderdale
Reviewed September 12, 2013 via mobile

I stayed here recently because I was told it was centrally located . It is located on busy las olas boulevard This is convenient to shops however it is hard to find parking. the rooms are not so big and if you stay in the older section that has skipped the renovation. The rooms can be dumpy small and outdated The newer rooms. Are much more $$$$$. also they allow pets but not everywhere. They can be in the rooms. But not at the bar. Also keep in mind that alot of local residents come to the bar at happy hour and the prices for them are less at the bar. The food is very average. in the past the food was much better but they hired a new chef and the quality went down .The only decent meal here is breakfast. The lunches have barely passable burgers and sandwiches.

• Stayed September 2013
1 Thank emmyFortLauderdale
Good Day,

Thank you for your Tripadvisor of the Riverside Hotel.

We apologize that you had only a mediocre experience here at the Riverside Hotel as we truly encourage excellence in our amenities to the best of our abilities. We are sharing your thoughts with the team and hope you return to stay with us again for a much better experience.

Thank you again.

Long Island, NY
Reviewed September 11, 2013

We spent 3 nights, 4 days in a corner tower balcony room with 2 queens. Room was spotless - not a single problem. A/C was quiet, which is a big plus in my book. The wrap around balcony was to die for - spent a lot of time out there just watching all the action on the NuRiver.
Desk staff was gracious, as were the bellmen and concierge. All had a smile and a hello for us at all times. Can't beat the location - right on Las Olas. We love the pool area - even though it is "across the street." Plenty of towels, food can be ordered, drinks, etc. Got a great price, and wouldn't hesitate to stay there again and again and again!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank pe4all4
Good day!

I really appreciate you taking the time to write in TripAdvisor about your most recent stay at the Riverside Hotel. It's wonderful to see you enjoyed your stay and all of the Riverside Hotel staff. I have to agree with you, the view from the wrap around balcony rooms are hard to beat!

Thank you again for your nice response and I hope to see you return soon!

Marketing Manager – Riverside Hotel and The Las Olas CompanyBad Review
Reviewed August 30, 2013 via mobile

Stayed there the other day and will be back. Perfect location. I wanted to stay longer but gotta pay for the vacations somehow. Staff excellent. Rooms excellent. Just go. I can't say enough about the city as well. Non stop if you do it right. Beautiful people and all friendly.

• Stayed July 2013
1 Thank Jakeorr1
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed August 23, 2013

Just spent 4 nights in a tower corner room overlooking the river to the south and downtown Ft. Lauderdale to the west. Our view from the 11th floor was wonderful and we enjoyed our morning coffee on the balcony, watching the boats go up and down the river. The room was a good size and the bed was very comfortable. Even the bathroom was large, although the bathtub/shower combo was really small. The tub is too small to use for a tub so why did they bother with one at all? But no walk-in shower is always a pet peeve of mine and this bathroom is absolutely large enough to have put in a nice big one. That said, the shower itself was great, the amenities were top notch and the hair dryer was better than any I have used in any hotel.

The location was the reason we picked this hotel this time. We really liked the Westin at the beach last year but we aren't really "beach" people and had to get into our car to go anywhere. We decided to stay in town this trip where we could walk to shops and restaurants and the Riverside was an excellent choice. The Italian bakery across Las Olas, Pan 'E Dolci is NOT to be missed!

But the very best part of our stay had to be the staff! They were all so friendly and responsive! The lovely lady at check-in couldn't do enough for us, making sure we had the exact room we requested and discounts for the restaurants in the area. We asked for bathrobes (for sitting out on that balcony!) and extra coffee and within minutes a smiling staff member was there with everything we wanted. We later asked for an extra ice bucket and again, within minutes not just the bucket but a full of ice bucket. Our housekeeper was ready to clean our room the minute we left and made sure we had lots of shampoo and lotions. We called for the car and it was always there waiting for us when we got downstairs. Everyone was always ready with a smile and a warm greeting.

This hotel is definitely a keeper!

Room Tip: Get a room in the tower with a river view (south side) with a balcony.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple