“Old and New & Both Wonderful!”
Review of Riverside Hotel

Riverside Hotel
Ranked #22 of 128 Hotels in Fort Lauderdale
Reviewed May 11, 2013

The Riverside, centrally located on beautiful Los Olas Boulevard and just a few miles from the airport (and immediately adjacent to the oh-so-fun Ft. Lauderdale water taxis - $20 for all-day), is both a classic mid-thirties elegant hotel and an almost-brand-new high-rise addition that retains the Hotel's charm and historic feel. Los Olas Boulevard ("The Waves") leads straight to Ft. Lauderdale's beautiful public beach to the east and to the great shopping, dining, and nightlife area, Riverfront, to the west. Immediately around the Hotel are great shops and restaurants, too.

Room Tip: The older sections of the Hotel are on Floors two, three, and four, and do not have the same sorts o...
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank JohnMackGreen
Riverside1936, Manager at Riverside Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 1, 2013

Good day!

I really appreciate you taking the time to write in TripAdvisor about your most recent stay at the Riverside Hotel. It's wonderful to see you enjoyed the incredible location of our hotel and everything downtown Fort Lauderdale has to offer.

I hope to see you return soon to our lovely property.

Warm Regards,
Kristi

Kristi Hollinger
Marketing Manager – Riverside Hotel and The Las Olas Company

Write a ReviewReviews (1,623)

Reviewed May 11, 2013

2nd mid week stay this week. Love the tower rooms. They are very large. Bed is super comfy with very soft and nice smelling all white linens. Firm large pillows, great a/c, mostly very quiet. Big bathroom, closet, desk, dresser. I really like staying here. They have great outdoor dining which is so nice in the mornings. The wait staff is very attentive and the food is wonderful.

Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank Palm55

Good day!

I really appreciate you taking the time to write in TripAdvisor about your most recent stay at the Riverside Hotel. It's wonderful to see you enjoyed the incredible location of our hotel and enjoyed your dining experience! Nothing beats breakfast right on the boulevard.

I hope to see you return soon to our lovely property.

Warm Regards,

Kristi

Kristi Hollinger
Marketing Manager – Riverside Hotel and The Las Olas Company

Reviewed May 10, 2013

This quaint hotel brings the history to Ft Lauderdale. Located on Las Olas which is a wonderful street to hang out to shop and eat. The hotel is very quiet and well maintained. We spent two weeks here and we are looking forward to returning in the near future.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
2  Thank Cynthia G
Heiko D, General Manager at Riverside Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded May 11, 2013

Thank you for your tripadvisor of the Riverside Hotel.

I was very pleased to see that you enjoyed our charming hotel and the location on Las Olas Boulevard.

Reviewed May 9, 2013

Let me start with the good. Service was outstanding everyone from check-in (they upgraded us at no charge) to the manager that we dealt with when there was an obnoxiously loud group of people partying after midnight. The hotel was not flawless, the rooms for example could use a little updating (although they were in good condition, just a bit dated). The lobby area and courtyard are are fantastic as is the bar downstairs. The location simply cannot be beat being right on Los Olas with lot's of shops, bars, restaurants and things to do within easy walking distance.

This place is a bit older, but it has aged well. Don't go in expecting it to be shiny and new. This place has character (think classic, old South Florida) and is a great find among South Florida hotels.

Room Tip: there are two parts of the hotel, one newer and one older. The newer part of the hotel is nicer, bo...
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple

Thank you for your tripadvisor of the Riverside Hotel.

I am thrilled to see that you liked our service and the character of our hotel. Next year we are planning a full rooms renovation.

Reviewed May 9, 2013

I recently stayed at the Riverside for my first time and loved it! We were there for a special event, The Color Run, and the hotel offered a special discount for those participating in the event.

We had a FABULOUS room. From other reviews I learned there is an older section and a newer section, the towers. When making my reservation and not being able to visualize what the views were like, I wasn't sure if I should get a room with a balcony, a city view, or a river view.

I was told that when we arrived, I could look at the different types of room and decide.

They were not booked, of course, for me to be able to do this.

However when we checked in? We were on the 10th floor, sort of in the center of the towers and had both a city AND a river view. It was PERFECT for taking photos of the race right from the window, WHICH OPENED! Yay!

I found I really did not miss the balcony AT ALL for my purposes.

I loved that the window opened, I loved seeing the river and the boats passing, and also enjoyed the city skyline in the far distance while being able to watch the colorful light changes on the Bank of America building we could see from our room. It was the best of both worlds.

We were two floors above the 8th story terrace, but never made our way there.

We also did not use the pool, so I am sorry I cannot comment.

We were given an extended check out time (until 1 pm) without any ado.

The room was very spacious -- 500 square feet. I understand they have smaller rooms at 300 square feet but I must say I loved the extra room.

The TV was quite small for the room size, especially a flat widescreen TV, but it was OK for one night.

The other thing I found odd was no mini fridge and no microwave. I have become SO accustomed to these items being standard in rooms, I never thought to ask. When we went to dinner on Las Olas (right out the front door, no need to use your car), I brought home an entire entree I could not consume after the appetizer. I thought no big deal, I will bring it back to the room and put it in the fridge ...

Nope. So I lost that meal as it was perishable.

We calld downstairs to ensure it was not an oversite and they said no, no mini fridge.

The bathroom was ENORMOUS for a hotel room. Like, really big for a hotel room. Perhaps the biggest one I have seen! I will include some photos.

I liked the exrta little touches here. The foil seal on the tip of the new toilet paper roll, etc. The little things make it feel so much fancier.

Even the men behind the check in desk dress very well in suits and ties.

We used the valet parking, and it was very professional - concierge also very well dressed. The valet parking is only about 6 dollars more than self - park, but then we did not have to cross the street and try to lug our items.

They also will store your luggage for you after check out if you go off to have lunch / dinner, etc Your parking fee is good for all day.

The location on Las Olas is wonderful with access to numerous art galleries, restaurants, a woderful Italian bakery, bike rentals, and trendy nightclubs. We walked around in the night time and were surprised at the night life in the area -- it pretty much goes on most of the night. Some very interesting clubs.

During the day it was a little more touristy, and a nice walk with a Cheesecake Factory actually attached to the same building as the hotel.

ALSO, we ordered room service for breakfast which was delivered to our room (not available until 6:30 am) which is wonderful. It was good, but we did not have time to finish our meal and, once again, missed having that mini fridge. Plenty of room for one, it was just absent.

We had two queen beds and a comfortable night's sleep on what seemed to be clean linens.

Again I was very impressed with room size. Typically it does not matter, but it really did make a difference in comfort level, especially in the bathroom.

For those who like a bathroom counter and sink OUTSIDE of the main bathroom, we did not have that. So there is no getting your make up on while someone else is using the facilities ... It is all located in the same room. For some that's a minus, so I thought I would point it out. I have no idea if other rooms are set up different, so surely if you ask the front desk they can help you if you are interested in specifics.

Also ,I loved that the floors in the corridors are all a very pretty shiny, what appears to be, Mexican tile. Not carpets. There are some carpeted areas, but primarily I saw the tile which I feel is easier to keep clean and does not retain the odors carpets do. AND it looked absolutely beautiful!

In the lobby there is also a LARGE touch screen that allows you to find close restaurants, etc. You can touch activities in the area and just beyond to learn more about them (Monkey Jungle, etc).

I believe this hotel is right by Riverwalk, too, but we were so busy we never ventured past the front street of the hotel for the race, browsing, and dining.

I will absolutely stay there, again ... but I will bring a cooler!! ;-P

PS - there was a coffee maker in the room, and a safe. Please check out my attached photos. I will share shots of the room, corridor, view, etc. from our 10th floor room, room 1026, if memory serves.
* My apologies but I no longer have room photos ... I deleted them after uploading to my sharing site, I did this to make room for Color Run photos, I forgot to save copies on my computer so I can only show pics from day 2 after spending the night. Sorry!!

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank TheWanderer305

Thank you for your tripadvisor of the Riverside Hotel.

Wow...what a detailed report and you made us very proud to give you such a wonderful experience. When we posted your trip advisor at the team member bulletin board, it brought many proud smiles to their faces.

Reviewed May 9, 2013 via mobile

Yes, The Rooms Could Be Nicer,
the Location On las Olas IS Great. Short Taxi Or WateR Taxi To The Beach.v Great Bar Across The Street.. Will Return Very Relaxing. I Believe In Brevity, Not Sure Why This Must Be 200 Characters.

• Stayed: May 2013

Thank you for your tripadvisor of the Riverside Hotel.

We are so thrilled that you loved our hotel. The water taxi stop at our Marina with direct access to the beach is certainly another great amenity we have.

Reviewed May 7, 2013

Great hotel! The room was amazing, the staff was excellent, and the price was reasonable. The hotel sits right on Las Olas Boulevard, among shops and restaurants. About 1.5 miles to the beach. Beautiful pool right on the canal. Sit and sip, and watch the yachts cruise by. Lovely!

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank sparkertx
Heiko D, General Manager at Riverside Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded May 9, 2013

Good Day,
wow...a perfect 5 rating. I am so glad you had such an amazing experience at our hotel.

I hope to see you in the near future to returning to our lovely property.

Heiko