“Not bad, but you need to pay for a room upgrade...”
Review of Riverside Hotel

Riverside Hotel
Ranked #18 of 128 Hotels in Fort Lauderdale
Sarasota, Florida
“Not bad, but you need to pay for a room upgrade...”
Reviewed March 5, 2012

This isn't a bad hotel, but you really need to pay for a room upgrade.

The upgraded rooms in the tower are on a completely different level (no pun intended!!!) to the basic rooms which are badly in need of a refurb.

We have stayed here for a number of years and never had any problems; however, this year there was a Wedding on and the room (even on the 11th floor) was very noisy... so best to check if there is a big Wedding on before you book and avoid a Wedding weekend if you can.

Other than that, I have always found the hotel to be very helpful, very friendly and very convenient...

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Geoff and Jenni G
dobrikowh, General Manager at Riverside Hotel, responded to this review, March 24, 2012
Good Morning,
I find you review very valid as some of our guests love the historic section of our hotel and others love the Tower rooms, as they are more spacious.

So glad to see you had a great stay with us.

Come back soon,

Heiko Dobrikow

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (431)
Scranton, Pennsylvania
Reviewed March 2, 2012

I was recently in Ft. Lauderdale on business and ended up staying at this hotel for 6 nights. I made my reservation through Priceline. I was disappointed when I learned I would be staying in a "traditional room," not in the new tower. Although the room and especially the bathroom was smallish, it was very comfortable and had a great view of the river. Also this tower has its own elevator, so it almost feels like a private entrance. So, after about ten minutes of disappointment I started to really enjoy the hotel.

The public spaces is where this place really works. The pool is amazing. I really enjoyed lounging around the 85 degree oasis with boats from the river moving past. The restaurant is quite good and is a destination for locals as well as guests. The bar is fun...especially the one near the front desk.

Being on Las Olas this hotel is a great people watching place. Just walk out the front door and enjoy. Also, parking is almost effortless and not too expensive.

All in all I would recommend this hotel to anyone. My experience was great.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank ScrantonTraveler
dobrikowh, General Manager at Riverside Hotel, responded to this review, March 3, 2012
Good Afternoon,
I want to thank you for taking the time writing this great review on our property and also giving us such a great rating. Like many of our guests, our location is premier in Fort Lauderdale and we are a perfect choice for the business traveler.

Hope to see you in the near future.

Warm regards,

Palo Alto, California
Reviewed March 1, 2012

We stayed here two nights, one on each side of our trip out of FLL. They were gracious to keep a bag for our return (from Haiti) so we didn't have to lug some non-essentials there. The rooms were fine and comfortable, if a bit dated. Our traveling companions had a water leak from the room above, however, and that wasn't pleasant for them.

We enjoyed being in the midst of restaurants and shops, although I wouldn't plan a vacation around this hotel (it's not a "resort", and not on the beach, but that's not what we were looking for). The hotel restaurant was great for our breakfasts, a lunch, and one dinner. There was a convenient shuttle back to the airport for a small fee ($7pp).

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank AnitaMW
Good Afternoon,
I was so pleased to read your review and we certainly are the right hotel for a couple's get-a-way. Thank you for giving a terrific overview of our hotel and highlighting our dining options and airport shuttle service.

I am glad that we were able to please you.

Come see us soon again.

Orlando, FL
Reviewed February 28, 2012

Our family members had their wedding reception at the Riverside Hotel and reserved a block of rooms for their guests at a more affordable rate than what is advertised. We stayed in the Executive Tower with one king bed and a balcony. Overall, the cleanliness of the hotel is impeccable. The rooms are nothing special. While clean and spacious, they are also dated.

The staff was just ok. The girl who checked us in, provided us with our room keys and a letter from the wedding couple welcoming us to the hotel. I guess she felt their letter was sufficient because she provided no directions to the elevators, amenities, pools, etc. The valet was rude and showed his annoyance when we chose to bring the luggage to the room ourselves and park our vehicle in the parking garage. Speaking of the parking garage, it's a scary situation. The ramp up to the booth when you first enter the garage makes you feel as though you are going to run into the wall at any moment.

The hotel is right in the heart of downtown Ft. Lauderdale. No doubt, you are paying for the location. There are plenty of restaurants and shops within walking distance. The nightlife is pretty active. It's a nice choice for adults or business travelers but it's not really appropriate for families with small children or babies like us...but again we were there for a wedding so the amenities and local bar scene wasn't our top priority when selecting this hotel.

One last note, there are two entrances to the hotel. The front entrance onto Las Olas Blvd is kept open at all times leaving the lobby especially warm.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank Meredisney
dobrikowh, General Manager at Riverside Hotel, responded to this review, March 1, 2012
Good Morning,
I appreciate your feedback and also pointing out some of our service failures. This will only back us better, as it give me the opportunity to share your experience with my staff for improvement.

I am glad you loved our location and now wonder that Las Olas is known as the Crown Jewel of Fort Lauderdale.

I hope to see you in the near future,

Rhode Island
Reviewed February 24, 2012

We were so disappointed in our stay here. While the location is nice, right in the midst of a nice street of shops and restaurants, the rooms were very dated, musty and uncomfortable. The lime green bedding looked straight out of the 70's, as did the "old fashioned" tube TV. The staff seemed professional and responsive until we ordered a cot 3 times and it never came. I'm sure there are better options - I will find them next time.

Stayed February 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Hawaii_traveler200
dobrikowh, General Manager at Riverside Hotel, responded to this review, February 27, 2012
Good Morning,
thank you for your review and I am glad you found your experience overall satisfactory. This week we are receiving a beautiful new bedding package and in April we are going to purchase our new LCD televisions. These will be nice upgrades to make our hotel more beautiful.

Come see us soon again,

Houston, Texas
Reviewed February 24, 2012

I stayed here one night on business and had no choice in selecting the hotel. Having read some of the less complimentary reviews of the hotel on here, I was a bit apprehensive, but I have to say that I was pleasantly surprised. This is definitely a solid 4-star hotel, and for the price, it really is quite a steal. Granted, this is not the luxurious hotel of your dreams that is going to fill your head with dreams of lifestyles of the rich and famous, but it is certainly a great place to stay for business or in anticipation of a cruise or for just a visit to the Fort Lauderdale/Miami area.

The room design is what I would describe as Caribbean/Miami/tropical resort-kitsch (In was in the Executive Tower, so I cannot comment on the other rooms). It works for some reason, but it is certainly not a taste that I would seek out if I were selecting a resort. That being said, I would definitely stay here if I were to return to the area, even over some of the posher options in the area. What would bring me back is the service. The rooms are large, clean, well-appointed and have comfortable beds, but the service is really what impressed me here. The reception staff were very engaging and friendly, offering up details about the amenities of the property and describing the dining options available. Speaking of which, lunch at Indigo was spectacular. The seafood was fresh, and the presentation was far superior than I was expecting.

All in all, this was a pleasant experience, and I would recommend this hotel to others without reservation. The views from the room were nice, and I think the property really is a good bargain for what you receive.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled on business
2 Thank DCTraveler1979
Good Morning,
I appreciate that great rating for your terrific stay. Our hotel has two different buildings - one built in 1936 and the other 2001. Many of our repeat customers enjoy staying in the historic part of the building as they have for many years. Of course the 2001 tower building have larger bathroom and guestrooms.

I hope to see you in the near future,

London
Reviewed February 22, 2012

You're paying for location here — and it's a great location in downtown Fort Lauderdale. However, for $200 a night, you can do a lot better. The rooms are nothing particularly special — and in my case, came with a bathtub with a faulty plug and a mysteriously locked minibar. For two consecutive nights, bars of chocolate beckoned at me teasingly from behind a locked glass door. No bath robes, either.

If you can't do any better, you could do much worse than the River Side. But if you're willing to invest the time searching, you can do a *lot* better.

Room Tip: Check everything works on arrival. If it doesn't, insist on a new room.