“Poor value”

Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Delivery, Reservations, Takeout
Columbus, Ohio
“Poor value”
Reviewed March 13, 2014

Thought this would be an authentic Italian restaurant to bring my uncle to . The baked lasagna was made in a single layer not traditional and nothing special. We ordered mozzarella caprese appetizer and the waitress Penelope brought out our dinner entrees after the appetizer. When asked where the salads were she said she didn't think we wanted them since we had the appetizer. Then since we got an order of garlic bread she didn't think we wanted dinner rolls either.
Food not good and service ridiculous better to go to Olive Garden food and service is better there and better value for the money.

• Visited March 2014

England
“Great Food”
Reviewed March 10, 2014

Looking for a Restaurant this one looked particularly busy for midweek, so we gave it a try. Good decision, excellent food, enjoyed by all, even my wife who does not do 'Italian' Once inside it was apparent this was a locals favorite. Excellent friendly service, only negative, the decor appeared a little 'tired'

• Visited February 2014
Mesa, Arizona
“Excellent Italian”
Reviewed March 8, 2014

If you like classic Italian, not the nuevo crap, this is a great place to try. Lots of choices. I went with a group of 3 and we all loved our selections: Chicken Francaise, Fruitta di Mare and pizza. Good salad to start off with too and nice dense rolls, perfect for sopping up the sauce. The seafood in the fruitta di mare was particularly good. Crowded and noisy but the service was attentive and everything worked out very well.

• Visited March 2014
1 Thank friendlyinsomniac
Cleveland, Ohio
“Classic old school Italian-American restaurant”
Reviewed March 8, 2014

You won't be disappointed with this choice is you're looking for a casual and friendly place for Italian comfort food. Service was excellent as was the food. We had a pizza, salads and a carafe of chianti. Most importantly, we didn't have any after-effects that one often finds within dining out - super thirsty, overwhelmed by garlic or oil, etc. That's because they use fresh, quality ingredients. Best of all, you won't break the bank when you dine at Franco & Vinny's. We had a tough time finding a better meal in our 4 days and nights in Fort Lauderdale, and we tried some highly regarded places.

• Visited February 2014
“Great Italian Restaurant That's Still Doing It Right After Many Years!”
Reviewed March 3, 2014 via mobile

We walked in at 3:00pm on a gorgeous Monday after spending time at the beach and on the Carrie B cruise. We were greeted warmly by the owner himself (recognized by the pictures on the wall) and Alex, behind the bar, and asked if we'd mind waiting 5 minutes? We said sure! Sat at the bar to wait, and offered something to drink. We just had water. I asked where the restrooms were and as I made my way back, only then did I see the restaurant appeared closed! All the chairs on top of tables, no one else there! Come to find out they don't actually open until 4:00! But, no problem! They treated us with all the courtesy imaginable! And served us! Never a hint they weren't open.

We (my grown daughter and I) sat at the bar and ordered: Bar pizza (Hawaiian), and Shrimp marinara. Superb! Crusty bread (straight out of the oven!) and a fabulous salad came right away. My daughter had been craving pizza. She ordered the ham/Canadian bacon and pineapple. The pizza crust was something special! Awesome pizza. The shrimp marinara was terrific. Large portions. The shrimp were huge and delicious and meaty. The sauce was very spicy (hot), but they'd asked and I said I liked some spice. Note: It's QUITE spicy! But delicious!!

Alex, behind the bar, was very nice, took care of our every need, was very hospitable, and efficient. He informed us that the restaurant has been in operation for 42 years. Btw, pizza shack in the name is a misnomer. Nothing to do with what it actually is! Decor comfortable. Photos on the wall of various celebrities who'd visited the restaurant with the owner added fun and interest.

To summarize, I recommend you go and visit this restaurant. I don't think you'll be disappointed! It was a great experience for us.

1 Thank Builders4