“Excellent jumping off point for the Everglades” 5 of 5 stars
Review of BEST WESTERN Gateway to the Keys

BEST WESTERN Gateway to the Keys
Ranked #4 of 12 Hotels in Florida City
Olympia, Washington
“Excellent jumping off point for the Everglades”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 18, 2012

We stayed 4 days in December. We were surprised at how low the price was for such a nice hotel. The hotel is beautifully kept, comfortable, and has very friendly staff. The breakfast is comprehensive and delicious. The rooms are great, and they allow you to fill out a card about how much cleaning you want each day--so that you can say just empty trash and refresh towels but don't bother to change sheets (if that's what you prefer) or you can get full service for the room. There is a lovely courtyard and pool area. Free washing machine and dryer!! I don't think there are any hotels closer to the Everglades. The hotel is also situated on a road that goes straight to the Florida Keys. Restaurant choices in Florida City/Homestead are somewhat limited. I would not recommend the seafood restaurant that is walking distance from the hotel. But there is a superb Mexican restaurant, Rosita's, just a few blocks away. Atmosphere funky, but food home cooked and delicious. We also ate at a Cuban restaurant in Homestead, Mario's, that was quite good.

Room Tip: We had a ground-floor room on the outside rather on the courtyard. It was quiet. I'm sure the...
1 Thank Carola870

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (156)
  • Finnish first
  • Turkish first
New Port Richey, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 13, 2012

Stayed at the Best Western Florida City in early December. This is one of the cleanest hotels
ive ever see. The Staff is very friendly. Breakfast in the morning was good and someone was
on duty in the dining room the whole time to keep up with things. This was the perfect location
for our day trips to the Keys one day and to South Beach the next. Also the pool deck was
kept up in very good condition, no broken chairs, tables etc and grounds were impeccable.

We'll be back again! Thanks

Room Tip: SIngle queen facing the pool includes a wet bar, fridge and micro
1 Thank RWFW
Lebanon, IN
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 10, 2012

My wife and I stayed here on our tour of Forida while we spent the day out on the Florida Keys. A good location for doing so. Nice clean place, well maintained, very comfortable and clean. Nice breakfast included too. I would stay here again without question, and would recommend it to others. Staff was very helpful with our questions about getting about the area.

1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 7, 2012

The FACTS: I did not extend my stay by one more day as I intended (forgot the morning of the last day before going out & about). I had a valid credit card on file at the front desk. The management said they where shocked at the conduct of their employees. The management compensated me less than $100 dollars for all my stolen goods. The management said this is all the owner (local) can do for me in this situation.

What HAPPENED: I came back to my room (late afternoon) on last day of my stay thinking about extending one more day, assuming I'll take a hit for late checkout, this hotel had vacancies. I swiped (I was able to get into my rm) my key & entered my rm only to find it COMPLETELY clean and vacated. Shocked, I thought I accidentally entered the wrong rm, but I didn't. Toiletries- GONE, suitcase & hung clothes- GONE, shoes-GONE. I walked to the front desk where the girls said I had checked out, I proved them wrong by replying I would have taken my luggage if I did! they knew it was in their storage rm but didn't know why. These girls at the desk just came on shift and quickly rebooked me. They called the manager who didnt (my opinion) seem like it was a big deal & said he'd handle it the next morning, oh, the anger that raged inside-but I kept a strait face. The next day I met the manager in a quick exchange who seemed apologetic but not concerned! and reimbursed less than $100 and said that was all the owner (local) can do. The manager said "I dont' know what to say, I can't explain it". In the end I lost all food in the mini fridge, had my shaving cream (really!), and (later realized) cologne- STOLEN, peaceful night sleep on a business trip- STOLEN. Careful folks, I called corporate and they responded well, this location's management did not. The girls behind the desk that evening did a good job reestablishing my reservation. Mgt has no control over product here.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
    • 1 of 5 stars
1 Thank Foodiboy
east coast
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2012

I chose the best western based on the reviews on trip advisor. Nothing seemed too good in the area so I had to choose between best western and the # 1 rated Travelodge. I was skepitcal about the travelodge and I'm glad that I chose best western over the travelodge. Two women came in while I was checking in and asked if they had availablity. BW said yes and the women asked if they could see a room. They seemed pretty desparate and then they said they just came from the travelodge and it was horrid and they had to find another place. I said "really, they are number 1 on trip advisor" the women seemed very unhappy and worried. So glad I didn't pick travelodge.

The best western room was clean and spacious. wish we had of gotten a room that overlooks the pool area though. As the view out our window nothing great. Sheets were hard and and starchy and bed a tad firm but all in all it was ok.

The area was a bit on rough side so I don't know that I would choose anything in this town again. Maybe cause it was rainy so that could add to the uneasiness but next time I may stay in Key Largo. but if I did stay in Fla City - would prob stay at the Best Western.

Room Tip: Get a room overlooking the pool area. better views and probably quieter. Heard traffic along rt 1...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
    • 2 of 5 stars
1 Thank foodfancierEastCoast
Stuart, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2012

My Husband and I went to the Ocean Reef Club for the day and needed someplace to stay before heading home the next day. The room was clean, it had a small fridge and microwave in it. Breakfast was so-so, cereal, coffee, scrambled eggs, mystery bacon, danish and bagels.
The pool area looked inviting and well kept. Our room was on the busy street side but was quiet enough not to disturb sleep although it is the east side so it's nice and bright in the morning!
If we ever need a room in Florida City we would stay there again.

Room Tip: Book a room looking at the pool which looks tranquil compared to the parking lot (unless you want to...
Manchester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2012

Smart ,clean ,and helpful staff . Good value. Restaurants near by. Pool and hot tub in grounds hotel.smart functional rooms. Just pleasantly surprised! The one down side is that there is no safe in the room to use.

• Stayed December 2012
Ramada Florida City
Ramada Florida City
#9 of 12 in Florida City
3.0 of 5 stars 702 reviews

Been to BEST WESTERN Gateway to the Keys? Share your experiences!