“So much better than expected!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Budget Host Inn

Budget Host Inn
Ranked #10 of 12 Hotels in Florida City
“So much better than expected!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2011

Me and my mother were traveling from the keys and booked this hotel because it was cheap and we just needed a place to lay our head because we would be getting back late and were going to head to Hollywood the next day. After we booked I read the reviews on here and became terrified about what we got into because everyone is talking about how horrible it is.
My mother has owned condos with Fairfeild (now windum) and other companies and we have stayed in many 4-5 star hotels,on the other hand when we are just traveling from a-b we like to just get something clean and cheap to sleep in. We are not always pleased,but when u go cheap u never know what to expect.
I was actually very pleased with this place! For less than $50 a night I feel we did a good job. I don't know if the rooms have been improved since the last stay, but there seems to be updated furniture and bed coverings. As well as a nice clean microwave and fridge. The TV is a little outdated but that's ok. The carpet looks just like what u would expect in a holiday inn or something, I wasn't afraid to walk barefoot. The room was pretty clean, and that is the first thing I look for when I come into a hotel. No bugs. The bathroom fixtures do seem to need updating,but nothing that I'm afraid to touch for fear of uncleanness. My mother is a NASCAR fan, and since homestead odd just right by she is thinking of returning again during the race. It's no grand hotel, but it is clean and it has the bare essentials! Definitely worth the price! Don't be scared, it is clean and the owner really didn't seem rude. We knew we would be coming late (around 1230am) and he had no problem with waiting up for us,he even told us when we called before hand to call him if we had any problems.

• Stayed March 2011
2 Thank dani072607

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
San Diego
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2010

The room smelled mildewy and looked dirty. The sheets were dingy and looked as if they hadn't been washed. The bathroom was tiny and all the fixtures rusted. It was hard to sleep here because I didn't want to touch anything or walk on the floor without shoes on.

The vending machines were both out of water and the continental breakfast consisted of a loaf of sliced bread next to a toaster. We came here because it came out to $50, but it was so dirty I wished I could have spent $10-20 for peace of mind. After I saw the room, I would have left if we could have, but there's a sign at the front clearly saying "no refunds." I wonder why.

There are a handful of motels within close proximity-- go to any of those instead of this one!

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
6 Thank travelfan_gk
York
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2010

I booked this place using the budet host website and gave my credit card details as a guarantee. I printed the reservation out and had a confirmation number. When we arrived the owner could find no record of my booking, but said it was no problem as he had a room. I paid for the room using my credit card.
When I returned home, I checked my credit card statement to be found I had been charged twice. The second charge was because no record of the booking could be found so I was considered a no-show despite the fact that I had turned up and paid.
I contacted budget host via their email address including a scan of my card receipt that shows that I paid when we arrived and got no response. So I called their phone number. (I was trying to avoid the expense of an international phone call). The lady I spoke to was very nice and said it would be sorted.
Several days later, no refund so I called again and she said that she would chase it up with the owner. A few more days past, and I contacted Budget Host again and she said that the owner had some trouble locating the source of the second charge but has now refunded my account.
However, after a week of checking my account online, no refund appeared. I was then told by the lady at Budget Host, that the owner said he had issued the refund and to contact my credit card company to find out if they could trace it. She said if I couldn't trace it, they I should dispute the charge. This comment leads me to believe that she knows full well, that the owner hasn't refunded me at all and they can get away with it because I can claim it back from my credit card company.
I did receive the money back from my credit card, but I wonder how many other people have had this happen to and the owner gets away with it because the credit card companies will pay up.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
6 Thank nikkiwire
Florida City, Florida
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2010

Stay at this hotel if you like having a horrible time.
The old East Indian man who runs the place is the cheapest person I have ever seen. He is also a liar and completely unprofessional.

When I got to the hotel in April of 2010, I went there because I saw online on travelocity that his price was only $35 a night plus tax. Big mistake.

I first asked to look at a hotel room. It was no more than a minute before he came to check on me. He asked if I used the bathroom and I said no. He still went to check the bathroom if it was used.

After this, I showed him the price on travelocity saying his rooms were $35 a night plus tax and he said I can't book online and that price isn't right, He wanted to charge $45 a night plus tax when the booking online clearly said $35 a night. He started walking away from me while I was still trying to talk to him about pricing. He then shut the lights off on me. I ended up booking online on travelocity and DID get the price for $35 a night...but keep reading...

The next day I went to get breakfast which it stated that it was included in the price. He told me I was not allowed to have a muffin because my girlfriend already had breakfast. All he had for breakfast were muffins and coffee. It wasn't even a full muffin, he was so cheap that he cuts his muffins into 4 pieces.

I gave the guy the finger as we drove away for not allowing me to eat breakfast and being so rude the whole time to me and he came running out of the lobby screaming HEY [--] you, [--] you. Then I checked my visa statement later and noticed I was charged $45 a night when I clearly have proof on a statement from travelocity of the FULL price being $35. I am sure that I can legally do something about the fact that he has overcharged me.

The morale of the story, don't go here. It's dirty and he cuts a lot of corners. The bathroom was nasty, we found a cockroach in the corner of the bathroom and the sheets weren't clean. My girlfriend didn't want to touch anything in the room.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled on business
5 Thank roadtrip-warrior1
MI, USA
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2010

Price was OK, I saw a lower price on-line and didn't reserve on-line. So, it cost a little bit more for walk-in. But, still cheaper than staying in the Florida Keys. The room was a double queen with fridge and WiFi. The floor was dirty. In the lightening fixture above the sink, there was a dead Palmetto bug. The breakfast was minimal with OJ, coffee (bad), toast and donuts (? gone by the time I was there). They had a pool that was recently opened that I didn't check out. I did see a pool company checking on it while there. There was no spa.

• Stayed April 2010
2 Thank xcoyote359
Denver
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2010

I stayed here for a weekend when I was visiting the Everglades and the Keys. My room had a fridge and microwave, and with free WiFi, this hotel is easily the best deal in town. The hotel doesn't look very inviting when you first pull up, but my room was clean and comfortable. It wasn't until my final morning at the hotel when I saw what someone had written on the bathroom counter - "Ghost, 8/07". Yikes! If I'd seen that when I first walked in I wouldn't have stayed there, but I'm glad I did - there was no ghost, or at least I was never woken up by things that go bump in the night. If I'm ever back in the area (and still on a small budget) I'd definitely stay here again.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled solo
1 Thank sarakDenver
New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2010

I was traveling to South Florida from Ohio for a few extra days of vacation following a week of work in Miami. I wanted to get away from the hustle and bustle of South Beach and find a quality / cheap motel near the Everglades and close to the Florida Keys so I could do some sightseeing. I travel often for work and stay in 3-4-5 star hotels but when traveling for pleasure I prefer something cheap, clean, functional and low-key. I'd rather save money on a motel and spend it elsewhere on my trip.

I was extremely pleased with my 3-night stay here. I arrived late on my scheduled check-in date but my room was still waiting for me. The front desk clerk was very friendly and helpful (really nice guy). The room was exactly what I needed: clean, quiet, plenty of hot water, a mini refrigerator, microwave, cable TV, a desk, another table to sit things on, plenty of room overall and the bathroom was huge. I received a strong cell phone connection and the wireless Internet was very fast (neither of which can be said for my work hotel in Miami Beach the prior week).

There were even little things that made sense. For example, there was a table right next to the shower that had all of the towels and it made it simple to reach down and grab one once I was done. It may sound simple but I can't tell you the number of times I've stayed in hotels where the towels were on the other side of the bathroom.

To be fair and representative, the rooms were simple and the walls showed a few signs of aging paint, and the lamps were a few years old. But, c'mon folks, this is a motel, not a place that you are considering setting up residence for the next 30 years! I was 15 minutes from Everglades National Park, 20 minutes from Key Largo and 40 minutes from Miami International Airport.

The hotel is perfectly situated one block west of US - 1 (at Exit 1) and it was very quiet. On US - 1 there are a ton of restaurants and other shops catering to exactly what you need. Overall, I slept well, was treated great by the staff, and was able to use this hotel as home base for three days as I traveled around the area. It's the best $49 (per night) that I have spent in a long while considering what I received for that price.

To me this was the perfect hotel if you are looking for something clean, simple, cheap and functional. If you want lavish amenities and mints left on your pillows, go ahead and pay $200 a night somewhere else. I'd rather pay $49 a night and get more than I needed for my type of stay (shower, sleep and regroup after each day of vacationing). I slept great, had plenty of hot water and clean towels, and the heater / AC worked just fine. I actually got too hot from the heater (my fault) so I had to turn on the AC so I know both work great.

The ONLY thing that I would mention as less than desirable was that the automatic wake-up call. Although it was right on time, the phone ringer was a little low on the volume. I woke up on the final ring (barely) on the morning of my flight home. This could have been an issue so if you have a alarm on your cell phone I would recommend using that as a backup.

Other than that I have no complaints at all. I know there are some suspect reviews of this motel on here (and I was apprehensive as well) but it appears everything is under new management so a lot of those issues have been put to rest. For me, it was exactly what I needed.

Safe travels!

Floridian Hotel
Floridian Hotel
#3 of 17 in Homestead
3.5 of 5 stars 531 reviews

Been to Budget Host Inn? Share your experiences!