“Good for a short stay”

Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Florida City
Ranked #7 of 13 Hotels in Florida City
Reviewed May 20, 2014

Not the greatest Holiday Inn Express, but close to the keys. The general area around the Hotel is depressed and only venture to Walmart if you must have something, then run in quick, go in pairs and keep a close watch out of your surroundings. I am retired Law Enforcement and I was a bit nervous. You can go a few more miles down the road and be in a better part of town with a lot cleaner Walmarts. The hotel was clean for the most part, carpet is showing its age with stains. We got a room for three to use the pull out bed and what a nite-mare that is, the bed is only good for about a 5 year old. Then they actually tie the mattress to the frame so you can not take it off and lay on the floor where it would be 100% more comfortable. It is like they want you to be miserable with the bedframe bars sticking you in the back. I spent three nights on that pull out and it took several days to recover. I fully believe I would have done better on the floor. If you have three people, forget that pull out, being a sleeping bag for the floor. Better yet, spend $50 more and stay in the keys at a better hotel. The staff were very nice and friendly. I did ask if they had a mattress that I could just lay on the floor and was told that she would rig our room when she found out, she never did so that was poor customer service. I think that this hotel is used by people as a stop before the keys, and so people will probably not return so do they really need to go out of their way to please? Probably not. We made teh best of it but I'd advise not counting on that third bed if you need it.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled with friends
4  Thank Ranbud
HIEX M, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Florida City, responded to this reviewResponded May 23, 2014

Dear Ranbud,

To be perfectly candid, you are correct that our sofa beds are not the most comfortable, especially for an adult of normal size. For this I apologize.

I am glad you found my staff to be very nice and friendly. When you return to South Florida please speak to me directly and I will see if I can arrange for a much more comfortable stay for you.

Most Sincerely,

Reviewed May 18, 2014

used as a stopover. bed has a plastic protector on it, hot , uncomfortable and not the excellent standard we have become accustomed to .Spacious and in a good location for the keys.Top tip, carry on to key largo, the holiday inn there is on a marina,

Room Tip: carry on to Holiday Inn in Key Largo.
  • Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple
HIEX M, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Florida City, responded to this reviewResponded May 19, 2014

Dear GrandDManchester,

I apologize about the plastic mattress cover. The housekeepers are in the process of replacing them.

I am glad you liked our location, as we are the southernmost hotel on the Florida mainland before jumping off to the Keys.

Hope to see you on your return trip.

Most Sincerely,

Reviewed May 8, 2014

We stayed two nights so that we could visit the Keys before driving through the Everglades to Naples. The hotel was ideally located for this trip. It has eating places within easy reach and it is clean with good facilities. Free cookies were available in the lobby and the breakfast was adequate. I find the use of recycled crockery and plastic cutlery annoying in what is aspiring to be a class establishment. I accept that it was very reasonably priced but surely "proper" cups and knives and forks would not be too much to ask. The air con was also very noisy and the TV had limited channels. The are, however, relatively minor criticisms.

Room Tip: Rooms at the back look out over the pool onto a relatively busy road
Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple
HIEX M, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Florida City, responded to this reviewResponded May 9, 2014

Dear Dunteeching,

I am sorry you didn't like our breakfast utensils. I am currently working with IHG to see what alternatives are available to us within our brand standards.

Though some locations offer more, we have do 41 TV channels including HBO, HBO2 and local stations.

When you return to sunny South Florida to stay with us again, if your A/C unit is noisy please let us know and we'll gladly swap it out or switch you to another room.

Reviewed April 29, 2014

This hotel is okay but not exciting. Stayed here for two nights to explore the Everglades and Keys, for which it is perfectly located. There's free breakfast but what I really found odd is that there is only plastic cutlery. USD 120 a night is not expensive but also not cheap enough to not have normal cutlery.
The town as such is rather boring but check out "Robert is Here" for amazing smoothies and "Taqueria Morelia" for great, down-to-earth Mexican food.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled solo
1  Thank bineK
HIEX M, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Florida City, responded to this reviewResponded April 30, 2014

Dear bineK,

I am sorry you didn't like our plastic cutlery, that is what Holiday Inn Expresses are mandated to provide.

Yes, we are perfectly located for exploring the Florida Keys and the Everglades, and while Robert Is Here and Taqueria Morelia are nice, there is so much more. There are numerous restaurants and eateries (Cuban, Italian, American, Japanese, Thai) in Florida City and the adjacent city of Homestead. Ride the free guided trolley to Biscayne National Park and Homestead Bayfront Park. There are seasonal activities at the Homestead-Miami Speedway, The Fruit and Spice Park, and Schnebly Redland's Winery. The Florida Keys Premium Outlet Mall. Coral Castle. Monkey Jungle. Local fishing charters.

SkyDive Miami flies out of Homestead General Airport. There's Keys Gate Golf Course, and Redland Golf and Country Club. Take a drive up Krome Avenue north of Homestead past the many farms and fields and you'll find many plant nurseries that have fruit and vegetable stands selling mangoes, avocados, papayas and more.

Homestead offers night life at the Stick & Steins Sports Rock Café and Billiard Club, Fat Monkey Karaoke Bar, Flagler's Wine Bar, and the Dade Country Jail has a DJ and line dancing.

When you return to South Florida just ask my staff for their recommendations and suggestions, they will be more than happy to oblige.

Most Sincerely, Brad Forsyth, General Manager

Reviewed March 29, 2014

I recently stayed there on 3/27/14 and was a victim of someone trying to steal fuel from my rental vehicle! I suggest if you must stay there please park under the from entrance and maybe, just maybe your vehicle might be safe. The thieves failed to get my fuel but they took the gas cap from my rental vehicle and I had to waste 2 hours trying to buy another (vacation put on pause…not good)! Holiday Inn Express should provide security or how about a taller fence to deter these thieves! Well, second trip to Miami area and at least I didn't have a cigarette butt in my food this time… Miami, FL…where third world is being taught social norms! A WORK IN PROGRESS, FOR SURE!

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank Bob K
HIEX M, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Florida City, responded to this reviewResponded March 30, 2014

Dear Bob K,

I am so sorry to hear about this incident. I checked our log book and did not see an entry about this incident being brought to the attention of a staff member.

We do have a security guard on duty overnight, but even then determined and crafty thieves can sometimes still not be deterred.

Thank you for taking the time complete a review. Your valuable feedback will be helpful in us reassessing our security procedures.

Brad Forsyth

Reviewed March 26, 2014

Hair on shower walls. Shower drain clogged, drained extremely slowly (ankle-deep shower-bath, yuk). Depressed check-in agent. Room smelled bizarre.

Plus old carpets, peeling paint on wood molding.

Nothing horrible, but definitely well below HI Express standards. Probably needs new management.

We are in the HI Express in Marathon (Keys) tonight; it's a normal one.

There are plenty of big chain similar hotels near the HI Express in Florida City; try one of those.

Stayed: March 2014, traveled with family
HIEX M, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Florida City, responded to this reviewResponded March 28, 2014

Dear FranklnCA,

The room you described is definitely below Holiday Inn Express standards. I will use your valuable feedback to improve services and housekeeping procedures.

Thank you for taking the time to complete a review. Please come back and stay with us to gauge our improvement when you are again in sunny South Florida.

Brad Forsyth

Reviewed March 23, 2014

Stayed here for one night as part of a drive down to Marathon. The hotel was nice and clean, but overall average. The staff was nice and the rooms were big, but the bathroom was subpar including some toilet issues. The breakfast was one of the highlights. Room was fairly quiet as the hotel is set back a bit from the Highway. The room was clean.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Florida City, responded to this reviewResponded April 8, 2014

Dear NorthOCTraveler,

First of all, thank you very much for your recent stay at our hotel. It is lovely to hear your kind comments regarding the rooms and our staff. However, we regret letting you down on some aspects of your stay. I have taken note of your comments regarding the bathroom. I assure you the feedback we receive will be reviewed and most certainly be forwarded to the appropriate departments.

Though we would prefer you had a better experience at our hotel, we would like to thank you for sharing your thoughts and we hope you would give us a chance in the future to show you how great our hotel is.

Connie D

Hampton Inn Key Largo
Hampton Inn Key Largo
#6 of 20 in Key Largo
Hampton Inn & Suites Miami-South-Homestead

Been to Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Florida City? Share your experiences!