“Not many choices”

Captain's Restaurant and seafood market
Cuisines: Seafood
Good for: Families with children, Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Late Night, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Description: Captain's Restaurant and Seafood Market is officially closed. We would like to thank the patrons from near and far for all the great reviews,the average reviews and the not so good ones. Happy Trails
Reviewed February 27, 2013

When you are in Florida City, there are not many choices of non-franchise or non-national eating establishments.............ie: local places to eat.

Captain's Restaurant is an exception.

From the outside, it is not the most appealing place. BUT they have a good local menu that is fairly priced. And, the food is good........we have eaten there 3 times in the past 2 weeks.

Of course, when in Florida, we love fish.............there is no question about our choices...........being from the Midwest, fresh fish is a real treat and the local variety is always good. They say that their lobster bisque is the best in south Florida............it is good, and better than most that we have had, but, we cannot pass judgement on their claim as we have not experienced that much lobster bisque in south Florida. And, if you have never had fried green beans, you need to try them here. Also, they have a nice wine list and a good selection of beers, including some local offerings.

In addition to their printed menu, they always have daily specials............again with a variety of choices.

If you are looking for a fish market, this may not be the place. Every time we have been in there the market case (inside the front entrance) has been empty.

2  Thank gold-vintner
Lisa T, General Manager at Captain's Restaurant and seafood market, responded to this reviewResponded March 1, 2013

I would like to thank you for your review of our establishment. We love the feedback as it helps us do better. I would like to comment on our market. Our fish case is having some issues and we are working diligently to fix the problem. It's supposed to be a refrigerator not a freezer and all of our fish is FRESH and we never want it to freeze. Just wanted to comment so if you are in the area and looking for FRESH LOCAL fish, we have it. If it's not in our case, ask us. We will be happy to help you with your FRESH FISH wants. Thank you again for your review and next time you are in town, we hope you will visit us again.

Lisa T.

Reviewed February 25, 2013

This unpretentious eatery was a pleasant change from the chain restaurants and served excellent food. Don't miss Maine lobster night on a Wednesday, superb value - $29 for 2x 1lb lobsters. The brown paper tablecloths set the tone but were very effective in soaking up the lashings of butter sauce.

2  Thank lloyd b
Reviewed February 23, 2013

Ate here one evening on a recent trip. Had stuffed grouper with yellow rice. The food was excellent and the bill was reasonable. The ambiance is nothing to brag about as the lighting consists of dingy fluorescent tubes. I sat outside and had a great meal.

2  Thank kimjady
Reviewed February 12, 2013

My wife and I were on our way to the Keys. We were staying overnight at the Best Western which is located directly behind the restaurant. We walked over and sat inside near the large fish tank. I got some shrimp as an appetizer. They were large fresh and delicious. As a main course I got the clams and linguini . The portion was huge. In addition to the clams in the shells, there were plenty of other diced clams in the sauce. The meal was certainly filling. My only complaint was that it was a little on the bland side. Some garlic would have made it taste even better. My wife got the seafood combo. She liked it a lot. Although this place is nothing to look at, I would stop here again if the situation presented itself. They have a wifi signal. Ask for the password.

2  Thank sheltercove
Reviewed February 10, 2013

We stopped at Captain's for lunch on our way to the Everglades and were very glad we did. I had the grilled combo with scallops, shrimp, and a large portion of hogfish. Everything was absolutely delicious! I had never had hogfish before and liked it very much. The service was prompt and friendly. We would be very happy to go there again if in the area.

1  Thank DonH