“great view..that's about it”

Topaz Hotel / Motel
Ranked #9 of 12 Flagler Beach B&B and Inns
Reviewed March 30, 2009

If you leave in the evening and come back, you have no where to park because the restaurant patrons park in front of the motel. Also we noticed the employees parked right in front of the rooms instead of across the parking lot.The restaurant on site is a joke, trying to be some upscale place,way overpriced. One thing I noticed everywhere in Flagler is there are stairs everywhere, no handicapped access.The view across the street is very nice, although you have to walk up or down the street about 100 yards to access the beach.The beds are not that comfortable, but the rooms are not that bad for the price.

• Stayed: March 2009, traveled as a couple

Reviewed December 14, 2008

St. Augustine has been an annual destination for many years. In the past I have most often stayed Saturday night in downtown St. Augustine but thought I'd like to try something new. That something new was the Topaz. at Flagler Beach. We were not disappointed. The woman at the front desk was lovely and friendly and if the weather had cooperated we would have been at the pool by 1pm. Unfortunately the first of Nov was unseasonably cold so after check in we explored the surrounding area. Our room was very clean as was the bathroom. In fact I felt the accommodation was clean enough to soak in the tub so I did and enjoyed a long soak. Just what the doctor ordered to get rid of the last remnants of job stress and begin vacation. The bed was great, not to firm, and not to soft. The sheets and other linens were soft and white. We had a small fridge, microwave and coffeepot. We would have had no problem spending another night or two if time permitted. The view from both the front and rear entrance was oceanfront. It would've been nice to spend the evening on the small porch but as I said the weather was too cold so we kept the curtains open until dark enjoying the oceanview as long as possible.
In summary, the price was right, the place was clean, the view fantastic, the beds comfy and the management friendly. Can't think of anything negative, well except maybe the weather and though cold the sun did shine so really nothing to complain about after all.

• Stayed: November 2008, traveled with family
1  Thank vinceygirl
Reviewed December 14, 2008

Like another reviewer mentioned, I don't understand the favorable reviews of this hotel at all! Anyway…this was the most awful motel. Where do I begin? The room looked like it hadn't been updated since the 60's. It was used and abused for generations and showed every bit of the wear and tear. It smelled funny, the carpet was unbelievably filthy (while I never allowed my bare feet to touch it, my husband did, and when he got into the shower the water ran black), the tv didn't work properly and the remote was so worn out that the batteries fell out of it every time I picked it up. The worst thing were the beds. Hard as a rock, the mattress pad was hard & crinkly, the cheapest linens you can imagine, the blankets looked as though they had been around since the Civil War. I literally could not sleep. While I almost hesitate to say this, I must tell you that my husband woke up with bites around his ankles and arms. We didn't swim (too cold), so it wasn't anything from the beach/water. Flagler Beach is a wonderful area that maintains the "old-Florida" feel apparently due in part to their restrictive policy against new construction. That being said, I can't understand why they won't allow a decent new hotel to be built. This motel's only positive is it's location on A1A, which runs adjacent to the shoreline. Therefore, you literally walk across the 2-lane road to the beach. I figure that is why people stay there. A total emergency renovation is in order here. In an interesting irony, the restaurant (Blue) looked quite fancy and was fairly high-priced. A very stark contrast. The pool looked OK, but it was too cold during our stay to swim. The location is great - what a shame this isn't a cleaner, nicer place.

• Stayed: December 2008, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Katebar
Reviewed July 24, 2008

What's nice about this motel is its location directly across from the beach, but it is not your standard hotel experience. It is not modern or updated. It's not a Marriott or Hilton, etc. The main room-entryway with its Victorian decor is stuffy (beware allergy-asthma sufferers), and it is full of quirky photos and old toys on the shelves, some a bit creepy, depending on your taste. I did not stay in the main house but in one of the motel rooms. The view was great, but the bed was rock hard. There was plenty of room though if you have surfboards, fishing poles, etc. The bath towels were thin, not fluffy.
Flagler Beach is a sleepy town, so if you are looking for a big night out, there's not much going on. There are a few shops, a surf shop, a convenience store two blocks walk, a bank, and a taco shop nearby. You can walk to the pier and fish.
The room was very quiet, the pool was clean, the dog area was clean, they have their own gazebo on the beach, and some antique cars in a garage out back. Some rooms have kitchenettes.
It's easy to get to from I-95, just go east on 100 about 5-10 minutes. It was okay, nothing fancy.

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled with family
2  Thank SFbeaches
Reviewed June 9, 2008

We stayed here for my sister's wedding and was pleasantly surprised with the motel. I read a lot of reviews before we went b/c there aren't many pics of the motel on the internet. It was extremely clean, the pool was nice, and the price is great. If you're looking for a 5 star hotel, this isn't it, but if you're looking for somewhere that is clean and inexpensive, this is the place to stay. Very impressed and we will stay here again.

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled with family
2  Thank AshleyW1921
Reviewed May 10, 2008

Jerry and the Lady, (whose name I can't remember), were very hospitable.
This place warrants a great review.
the kicker???
The cost was reasonable and a good value.
Rooms were clean, staff polite, pool spotless.
The motif is sensational.
Personable and friendly.....courteous and professional.
Thanks for the visit

alan and lisa

• Stayed: April 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2  Thank abmHarrison
Reviewed April 30, 2008

Booked this hotel after reading rave reviews on this site. We were really looking forward to a few relaxing days at the beach and what a tremendous let-down.
The manager/owner (I am assuming) at this hotel was not only rude - he was downright nasty. We are a quiet middleaged couple and have stayed at places that ranged from 2 to 5 star hotels and have never been treated with hostility the way we were treated here.
I don't know where the rave reviews come from, but I would never ever recommend this place to anyone.

• Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
5  Thank kytnt
Hampton Inn & Suites Palm Coast
A1A Motel
A1A Motel
#4 of 12 in Flagler Beach

Been to Topaz Hotel / Motel? Share your experiences!