“Awesome fish and chips”

The Golden Lion Cafe
Cuisines: American, Seafood, British
Good for: Bar scene, Local cuisine, Special occasions, Families with children, Large groups
Description: Flagler's Most Awarded Restaurant & Raw Bar since 1992. Fresh Seafood. Voted #1 Beach Bar on the East Coast of Florida 2015. Live music with Reggae Sundays. Lots of fun monthly Full Moon Parties with Limbo and a white sand dance floor. Second story Rooftop Dining overlooking the Ocean or downstairs under the Tropical Courtyard. Tiki Bar, Ocean Bar, Gift Shop & Raw Bar. Food Specialities English Style Fish n Chips, Fresh Catch Taco's, Lobster Rolls, Oysters, Crab, Shrimp, Seafood Towers, Daily Fresh Fish... Small Barrier Island of 4500, Surf Tournaments, Fishing off the Pier, Red Coquina Rock Beaches, Free Parking and Golf Cart friendly...7 Miles of Oceanview Heaven
Jacksonville, Florida
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Awesome fish and chips”
Reviewed March 2, 2013

Huge portions, I was not able to finish mine. Very authentic to English fish and chips... Absolutely a great atmosphere.

Visited February 2013
1 Thank jaxBrian

Flagler Beach, Florida
“Not impressed”
Reviewed February 27, 2013

Golden Lion has a great view and I love the tiki bar, but that's about where it stops for me. The service is always hit or miss and the last time we dined there, it was awful. Our server disappeared after giving us our appetizer for a good 15 minutes. While she was gone, we decided to check out the raw bar and try some oysters because we were starving and still had yet to put our food order in - we knew that would take at least another 10-15! The gentleman behind the raw bar was excellent and very entertaining. He held a great conversation with us while we waited and steamed up a few oysters for us. After we placed our order and ate dinner, we sat there for several more minutes waiting for our check. I so badly want to love this restaurant, and I keep going back hoping for a better experience than the last, but it's just not happening.

• Visited December 2012
“The food and the view are outstanding”
Reviewed February 27, 2013 via mobile

We have a meal at the golden lion once a week , probably more if we lived closer . Have has friends and family with at times a they enjoyed it

Dallas, TX
“Great taste, lots of grease.”
Reviewed February 16, 2013 via mobile

I can see that on a mild day, in the sun, the top deck would be great fun, no doubt. We went for lunch on a cool and very windy day, not the restaurant's fault. The servings were enormous. I had fried fish sandwich and my husband had fish and chips. The fish tasted great and the fries were dipped in something to make them crispy and not seeming as greasy. The red onion on my sandwich was so strong that one small bite almost put me under. While we enjoyed our meal a lot, we both left feeling uncomfortably full and continued feeling that way into the evening.

New Hampshire
“Average Meal- Mystery Fish”
Reviewed February 12, 2013

My husband and I stopped in to this restaurant on our recent visit to Flagler Beach.

It has a nice beachy atmosphere and looked like it might be a fun place however...

Our first impression was not good. The hostess was terrible. First, she took forever to notice that people were standing in line. There was a group of four and a couple in front of us. The group of 4 wanted a seat upstairs, the hostess said she would have to bus a table upstairs if that's what they wanted...and then she just stood there looking at them...finally they said they wanted to go upstairs...so up went the hostess and after a long while she returned to take them upstairs..which seemed to take a long time in itself.

Than...the couple just in front of us wanted to sit upstairs too, up the hostess went again to check on the tables...really! She was just up there! She came down after awhile and took them upstairs, by then a man had appeared and was greeting people, my husband quickly said we just wanted to sit down in the bar area and we were seated. What an ordeal.

My husband ordered one of the specials, a bean and sausage dish. He really liked it. He wouldn't order fish and chips or a fish sandwich because they didn't identify the type of fish used. It did seem odd, not what we're used to in New England.

Anyway I took a chance and ordered the fish tacos. I couldn't tell you what kind of fish it was, didn't seem like cod or haddock...maybe flounder? But I can tell you it was overcooked. The sauce was good though and the tortilla chips were excellent. The chips were they only things we brought home with us...and the restaurant buys them from a supplier.

Are we going to go there again? No. BTW...the group of four apparently did not like the upstairs, came down with the hostess while we were waiting for our food and the hostess spent another long time with them while they settled into a table downstairs...all while a line of people waited at the door...

• Visited February 2013
Jennifer K, Front Office Manager at The Golden Lion Cafe, responded to this review, February 23, 2013
Thank you for your feedback about your visit to our restaurant. We sincerely apologize that your experience was not to our standards. We have taken the appropriate measures to correct the issues you listed. If you should decide to visit us again, please contact our General Manager, Bob Wilson so that he can take care of you the next time you are in town. We appreciate you making us aware of these issues and hope that you will give us another chance to give you the outstanding experience you deserve.

Jennifer Knapp